NASCAR 2020

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#501 ANF

ANF

• 10,871 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:04

Honestly relieved to see this: https://twitter.com/...173060143161344

Ryan Newman is up on his feet and walking around in hospital.

Oh man, that is amazing!

Edited by ANF, Yesterday, 17:05.

Advertisement

#502 Branislav

Branislav

• 933 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:06

86496272_1838800102922746_55091534682474

YIPPI :clap:

#503 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 253 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:31

THAT is awesome.

#504 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:37

That is fantastic news!

#505 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:41

Great to see that smile and that he is on his feet.

#506 vapaokie

vapaokie

• 487 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:50

Was it really gasoline? I agree it looked ominous as hell when the fluid was pouring out, but there were small fires within a foot or two of the leak, and I'd thought the vapor would have ignited. Jeff Gordon was unclear as to what it was, and he's been in a race car more than I have...:-)

Only things I could think of besides gas would be oil (harder to ignite), tranny fluid (ditto), rear-end grease, (hardest of all).

When's the last time a fuel cell split?

Got to thinking about it more, is there an auxiliary tank for the pressurized cooling system in the back of the car? That would explain why it was clearish, running like water, and not igniting so close to open flames.

#507 vapaokie

vapaokie

• 487 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:51

Happily stunned at the pic of Newman and his girls!

#508 John B

John B

• 7,299 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:56

Obviously great to see. Given his past pointed comments about plate/superspeedway racing (and involvement in other nasty crashes) looking forward to his take on the situation   ;)

From early pics of the new car the trunk/rear looks half as long as the current/past gens. Wondering if that might be a concern protecting the fuel cell and the pile-on impacts common at Daytona and Talladega.

#509 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:14

Obviously great to see. Given his past pointed comments about plate/superspeedway racing (and involvement in other nasty crashes) looking forward to his take on the situation   ;)

From early pics of the new car the trunk/rear looks half as long as the current/past gens. Wondering if that might be a concern protecting the fuel cell and the pile-on impacts common at Daytona and Talladega.

Ryan Newman is a Purdue educated engineer and he suggested to NASCAR after his numerous wrecks that additional bars be added. He succeeded in his request, and it just may have saved his life.

Roll-Cage-1-with-arrows.jpg

#510 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:18

Ryan Newman is a Purdue educated engineer and he suggested to NASCAR after his numerous wrecks that additional bars be added. He succeeded in his request, and it just may have saved his life.

Roll-Cage-1-with-arrows.jpg

Not certain, but I think the yellow arrows point to the "Newman bar" I referred to earlier. Couldn't find a photo. Thanks for posting!

#511 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:23

Not certain, but I think the yellow arrows point to the "Newman bar" I referred to earlier. Couldn't find a photo. Thanks for posting!

Yes, the yellow is the Newman bar, instituted in 2013.

The center bar through the windshield and across the top is called the 'Earnhardt bar' from when a car in 1996 penetrated his windshield.

Here's another view of the Newman bar.

Roll-Cage-3.jpg

#512 messy

messy

• 4,099 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:01

So relieved to see Newman in that pic and the update about him walking round etc. Gave us a scare there.

#513 John B

John B

• 7,299 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:05

Just released from hospital  :up: 

#514 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,401 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:10

Just released from hospital :up:

Even better. :up:

#515 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 253 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:14

Walking out with his daughters - https://twitter.com/...201168091078656  :up:

#516 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 29,098 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:16

Even better better.
Jp

#517 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,642 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:32

What an extraordinary story.

#518 red stick

red stick

• 4,539 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:34

Best news of the week.

#519 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:43

Say what you may about some of NASCAR's idiocies, and there are many, but they do have a stout car.

I'm amazed he walked away after that hit, there are many race series that should take note.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, Yesterday, 19:43.

Advertisement

#520 messy

messy

• 4,099 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:47

Great news. I’m a bit confused, but who cares.

#521 paulb

paulb

• 7,227 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:47

No one would have predicted his release from the hospital less than two days after the crash. The picture of him walking out with his daughters is special. 

#522 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,724 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:49

Wow - amazing to see he can basically walk away from that impact uninjured. Great news! đź‘Ť

To add, credit to NASCAR on the safety side (and that includes willingness to listen to drivers in that regard) and also to the human body, it always amazes me just how much it can cope with!

Edited by krapmeister, Yesterday, 20:13.

#523 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 257 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:52

Great news, glad to see he's apparently OK.

#524 red stick

red stick

• 4,539 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:54

As good as this news is, it's not an excuse for complacency.  Every criticism leveled at NASCAR for this breed of racing "entertainment" is still valid.  It would be too easy to celebrate Newman's great luck and kick this can down the road, because this is no guarantee of future results.

#525 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,779 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:55

We've had drivers win in their own cars before - has a driver's life ever been saved by their own safety feature before?

#526 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,752 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:23

Bill Simpson?

#527 messy

messy

• 4,099 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:29

As good as this news is, it's not an excuse for complacency.  Every criticism leveled at NASCAR for this breed of racing "entertainment" is still valid.  It would be too easy to celebrate Newman's great luck and kick this can down the road, because this is no guarantee of future results.

It’s a valid point - but I think I’m right in saying that of all the big, top level racing series, NASCAR’s safety record is arguably the best. Last fatal accident was Earnhardt in 2001 - compared to 2015 for Indycar, 2014 for Formula One, 2005 for the WRC, and last serious injury? Bodine?

Odd thing is that Earnhardt’s death was the last of a horrendous run of fatal accidents over 12 months, then since that - partly due to safety innovations like Newman’s own - nothing. You get Ryan walking out of hospital after something as horrific looking as that one, Austin Dillon walking away from his car going roof first into the catch fencing....like NASCAR or loathe it, it’s doing something right.

#528 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:38

It’s a valid point - but I think I’m right in saying that of all the big, top level racing series, NASCAR’s safety record is arguably the best. Last fatal accident was Earnhardt in 2001 - compared to 2015 for Indycar, 2014 for Formula One, 2005 for the WRC, and last serious injury? Bodine?

Odd thing is that Earnhardt’s death was the last of a horrendous run of fatal accidents over 12 months, then since that - partly due to safety innovations like Newman’s own - nothing. You get Ryan walking out of hospital after something as horrific looking as that one, Austin Dillon walking away from his car going roof first into the catch fencing....like NASCAR or loathe it, it’s doing something right.

When you look at the cage, that's pretty darn strong, but NASCAR also mandates a seat that almost a survival cell in it's own right.

Here's a 2018 Toyota Camry seat. Note how high the sides go up, nearly to the window sill, and the head protection is better than anything you'll find in an OW.

2018-Toyota-Camry-NASCAR-prototype-drive

Edited by whitewaterMkII, Yesterday, 20:42.

#529 red stick

red stick

• 4,539 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:49

If you're going to play bumper cars at high speed at your two fastest tracks you'd better build a stout car, particularly when a third to half of them crash out.  All I'm saying is that whether that's really the kind of racing you want should be reexamined.  I wouldn't ascribe to great foresight what could be attributed to dumb luck.  NASCAR is basically trying to control the type and degree of its high speed accidents, and ultimately the "control" of those events is illusory.

#530 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 253 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:14

Odd thing is that Earnhardt’s death was the last of a horrendous run of fatal accidents over 12 months, then since that - partly due to safety innovations like Newman’s own - nothing.

Much of that twelve month horror show would've been nearly nullified by the HANS device. Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin (I had mistakenly written Rodney Orr here. Of course, Orr suffered a catastrophic tire failure, not a stuck throttle) had stuck throttles, so who knows with those accidents. However, they didn't move their asses until Dale's accident. With HANS, SAFER, and the newer cars, they've reduced a lot of the risk. But as long as you've got cars running at 207MPH, there will be things that just happen. Bad angles, catch fencing, and car to car hits, those are hard things to nullify. But looking at how Newman's survival cell held up, they've done pretty well.

Edited by bargeboard, Today, 13:53.

#531 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 29,098 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:18

It certainly is Ollie.
Jp

#532 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:29

If you're going to play bumper cars at high speed at your two fastest tracks you'd better build a stout car, particularly when a third to half of them crash out.  All I'm saying is that whether that's really the kind of racing you want should be reexamined.  I wouldn't ascribe to great foresight what could be attributed to dumb luck.  NASCAR is basically trying to control the type and degree of its high speed accidents, and ultimately the "control" of those events is illusory.

Exactly. I hope NASCAR gets the hint that they got lucky ... again ... and stops this restrictor plate madness.

#533 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 63,072 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:42

This is a series that claims stuck throttle to not embarrass their tire partner. Their commitment to safety is a miracle, in that it happens at all. 

Some of us lived through the summer after Dale Jr's accident, I still haven't gotten the stench of BS out of my clothes. 

#534 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 9,005 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:46

like NASCAR or loathe it, it’s doing something right.

Indeed, I feel NASCAR have become worse and worse over the last years, and now I only watch the races I "have to" to keep being allowed to use the streaming platform in our country that shows IndyCar, F1,2,3, Porsche SuperCup etc. etc. But one thing is for sure, they have done a massive job in regards to safety, both in regards to cars and track. For me, the most "wow! how did he survive that?" still is Eric McClure. I have never seen a crash so hard,  so... deadly and yet the driver survived!

#535 KLF1F

KLF1F

• 65 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:41

Brilliant! So glad to see he can return to racing soon.

#536 Branislav

Branislav

• 933 posts

Posted Today, 00:12

87034509_2820574421331654_28606759769567

#537 dierome87

dierome87

• 462 posts

Posted Today, 00:25

Why was Newman listed in "serious condition" after the accident?

He seems to be perfectly fine (which is, of course, excellent news!)

#538 Branislav

Branislav

• 933 posts

Posted Today, 00:51

87043656_10218031128102934_2530532531086

#539 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted Today, 01:42

Could've been precautionary, given the high mechanism of injury and who-knows-what symptoms he was presenting with...but who knows.

Advertisement

#540 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,806 posts

Posted Today, 01:51

Could've been precautionary, given the high mechanism of injury and who-knows-what symptoms he was presenting with...but who knows.

I'd *guess* he was out cold, or at least knocked silly, when the rescue crews got to him. Media (and us) were being pretty demanding as to what was going on once he was admitted to the hospital. They were probably covering themselves until he got some MRI and CT scan work done to see how he was. The pic of him walking out may just look weird, but it looked like some road rash on his arms.

Not only was the car stout, but Ryan is one of the stoutest drivers out there. Tough guy.

#541 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted Today, 02:18

Got to thinking about it more, is there an auxiliary tank for the pressurized cooling system in the back of the car? That would explain why it was clearish, running like water, and not igniting so close to open flames.

Yeah, been wondering about that myself. Looked like water, but I'm not sure what would be back there that contained water. Oil from the dry sump tank, I suppose.

#542 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,849 posts

Posted Today, 07:46

I'm so happy.

#543 messy

messy

• 4,099 posts

Posted Today, 14:18

Yeah, I mean, I don’t get this either. How do you go from “serious condition” with everyone speculating about whether we’re looking at a traumatic brain injury or paralysis, to walking out apparently uninjured a couple of days later? I don’t care - all that matters is that he’s ok - but it is strange that they gave the fans such an almighty scare about him.

#544 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,308 posts

Posted Today, 14:37

Yeah, I mean, I don’t get this either. How do you go from “serious condition” with everyone speculating about whether we’re looking at a traumatic brain injury or paralysis, to walking out apparently uninjured a couple of days later? I don’t care - all that matters is that he’s ok - but it is strange that they gave the fans such an almighty scare about him.

I rather have it like this then as what we saw in '78 with Ronnie at Monza. He was seriously injured but nothing really to fear for his live but a long recovery period coming up for certain.
Next day he was gone.
So if it was an overreaction with Newman, give me such of these every time when we see a serious accident if the outcome is also like we saw with Newman.

#545 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,950 posts

Posted Today, 14:47

That photo of him walking out of the hospital - anyone else noticed he doesn't wear shoes? Does that mean anything with regards to a possible injury or am i reading too much into it? In any case it is unusual to see someone walk out to the street in his socks only.

#546 messy

messy

• 4,099 posts

Posted Today, 14:54

That photo of him walking out of the hospital - anyone else noticed he doesn't wear shoes? Does that mean anything with regards to a possible injury or am i reading too much into it? In any case it is unusual to see someone walk out to the street in his socks only.

Not where I live in Sunderland.