• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 17:45

https://www.auto-mot...hard-berger-f1/

with the aid of google translate:

I am often asked if Hamilton is as good as Senna. I resisted the comparison for a long time because I knew Senna well. I haven't seen a driver in a long time who has the qualities that distinguish Ayrton. With Hamilton I can now say with a clear conscience: he has it. He is the first driver I would call Senna in the same breath.

For those who may be too young to remember, Berger was Senna's team mate from 1990 to 1992 - arguably Senna's peak years - and he was also a very good friends with Senna. So if there is anyone who is entitled to make this statement, it is Berger. 

The interview has other very interesting insights which I encourage you to have a look at.  Berger was not only a well respected driver but also a team boss in F1 and he is currently the boss of DTM. I am not sure anyone else is in his category of experience. Perhaps only the late Lauda might compare.  

Advertisement

#2 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:10

I resisted the comparison for a long time because I knew Senna well (...) He is the first driver I would call Senna in the same breath.

Mr.  Berger has a bad memory. This is what he said in 2017...

Yes, when I see Max, Senna comes to my mind," Berger admitted.

"This is the first time I say something like this, because I was really close to Ayrton and I think he was the greatest. In his personality, his driving, his results, his preparation. He was different to everyone.

"I've always respected that and so I avoided comparisons, but with Max it's hard not to."

https://www.sportsmo...ght_285314.html

Ah well  :stoned:

Edited by Ivanhoe, 15 January 2020 - 18:11.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:11

he actually said it about Hamilton last year around this time too :lol:

#4 OO7

OO7

• 23,395 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:12

I'm not sure when that interview was done (The article is dated 13/01/20), but I recall Berger saying similar in mid 2018 or early/mid 2019.  It surprised me at the time because the previous comments I remembered by Berger about Hamilton weren't too favourable.

#5 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,958 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:13

Funny, because in the past Gerhard has compared Max to Senna, and more than once if memory serves, e.g. https://www.sportsmo...ght_285314.html

Anyway, he’s right: Lewis fully deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Ayrton, both are serious contenders for the infamous goat tag.

Edit: and another one: https://www.gptoday....to-ayrton-senna

I think we can conclude that Gerhard is in actual effect far from shy from a Senna comparison :)

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 15 January 2020 - 18:16.

#6 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 19:33

I don't think you can considering Hamilton has absolutely no creds when it comes to crashing into other drivers to win a championship :p 

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 19:47

I thought Kimi cornered this market with his eyes back in 00/01 or something. 

#8 Casey

Casey

• 2,476 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 20:06

Poor Berger is apparently seeing Senna everywhere .

When he took a taxi later that night he told the uber driver that he reminded him of Senna .....

#9 mstar

mstar

• 1,833 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 20:07

Jeez another ex-driver living in the legend Senna's mist.  For us who was around when Ayrton came into F1 etc would of realised how many mistakes he made as a driver when he came into F1, spinning off in every practices sessions etc etc.

Lewis will always be higher level as lewis on pure speed would challenge ANYONE, Ayrton always looked for his speed and other things from politics, intimidation, dirty tactics etc etc.  

10-20 years from now when lewis wins 7 WDCs and we all will wonder when we look at Lewis stats, "bloody hell, this Hamilton guy was bloody good wasn't he, better than Shumi, Senna etc"  Right now we all just never appreciate how good lewis is.  Berger still living in the "lewis in best car mode" When Max came to F1 i didn't see him beating a WC (the fastest and most complete F1 driver at the time -FA), and really put it on him and only lost the WDC by 1 point.  Lewis since day one was consistent and devastatingly fast beaten every teammate in equal car (when you take away incidents/reliability etc).  Max is quick but Lewis was better.  

Edited by mstar, 15 January 2020 - 20:09.

#10 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 20:38

Given some of the reminders about some of Senna's lesser habits on the track over time being posted over here, I think it to be an insult to Lewis to compare him with Senna, despite the fact he himsilf may feel different about it since Senna is his idol.

#11 MLC

MLC

• 537 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 21:59

Jeez another ex-driver living in the legend Senna's mist.  For us who was around when Ayrton came into F1 etc would of realised how many mistakes he made as a driver when he came into F1, spinning off in every practices sessions etc etc.

Lewis will always be higher level as lewis on pure speed would challenge ANYONE, Ayrton always looked for his speed and other things from politics, intimidation, dirty tactics etc etc.  

10-20 years from now when lewis wins 7 WDCs and we all will wonder when we look at Lewis stats, "bloody hell, this Hamilton guy was bloody good wasn't he, better than Shumi, Senna etc"  Right now we all just never appreciate how good lewis is.  Berger still living in the "lewis in best car mode" When Max came to F1 i didn't see him beating a WC (the fastest and most complete F1 driver at the time -FA), and really put it on him and only lost the WDC by 1 point.  Lewis since day one was consistent and devastatingly fast beaten every teammate in equal car (when you take away incidents/reliability etc).  Max is quick but Lewis was better.  

I agree. You can't really compare drivers as they all progress at different rates. But in his debut year Max was initially slightly behind another rookie before moving ahead by mid-season. Lewis was on par with the reigning WDC from the start and led him most of the season. 2007 was really quite something.

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 22:02

Hands off my lovely Gerhard.
He can say whatever he wants. 24/7
Jp

#13 Rydo

Rydo

• 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 22:21

Given some of the reminders about some of Senna's lesser habits on the track over time being posted over here, I think it to be an insult to Lewis to compare him with Senna, despite the fact he himsilf may feel different about it since Senna is his idol.

Like involvement in an espionage scandal and lying to the stewards under instruction? Or was that just Hamilton?

#14 ExEd

ExEd

• 2,190 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 22:26

Like involvement in an espionage scandal and lying to the stewards under instruction? Or was that just Hamilton?

involvement in what?  :rotfl:

#15 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 22:29

Poor Berger is apparently seeing Senna everywhere .

When he took a taxi later that night he told the uber driver that he reminded him of Senna .....

he was probably thinking of Bruno ….

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 22:36

So you have evidences that not only he - contrary to what was claimed -knew about it, he even was involved?!

I heard that there are some vacancies at Autosport. Might have to give them a call :p

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 23:03

House Rules:

Driver vs. driver threads are only welcome for team mates where a reasonable assessment of their respective abilities can be gauged. Other comparison threads which pit driver against driver for no apparent reason are unwelcome.

This won't end well in any case.