- - - - -

104th Indy 500 - May 24, 2020

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:44

Newbie here, going with my brother and a friend to see the great American sporting event for the first time. We plan on arriving Friday May 22 and heading back home on Monday May 25.

Hotel recommendations, favorite restaurants, nightlife, and any other "must do" items would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Advertisement

#2 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,345 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:39

Paul - I live within driving distance so I can't make recommendations, but check out this thread in Racing Comments. If you post your question there, you'll find plenty of helpful suggestions.

https://forums.autos...e-meetup-topic/

edit:

I've posted your questions in the 2020 IndyCar Meet-up thread where help should be forthcoming. 

Edited by B Squared, 18 January 2020 - 17:25.

#3 djparky

djparky

• 1,997 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 17:49

Ok you need to allow an extra day in case it rains on Sunday

If you can get there on Thursday rather than Friday then you can also go to Carb Day as well

In terms of places to stay, there isn't much near the track, there are loads of options down town or near the airport.

I stayed in the outskirts of Carmel which was about 20 minutes drive to the track. Depending on where you're staying, if you're driving on Sunday arrive early otherwise you'll be stuck in traffic, Speedway High School offers parking for $20. There are other unofficial car parks around and locals rent out front yards. Similarly be prepared to wait after the race, and ( as I found out last year) the police close roads which sat nav phone did not recognise.

Cant comment on downtown Indy, but I'd recommend the IMS Museum as something to do. And there are places to eat in Speedway High Street

For race tickets sit as high in the turns as you can, I was near top of NE Vista in turn 3 and had a fantastic view

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 22:34

We are a caring sharing bunch biercemountain.
Anything we can do to smooth your trip to Indy will be a pleasure.

There IS a place available that is near the track that you could walk to and from in 10 minutes.

Let us know on the thread B Squared mentioned and the world will be your oyster.

It is a bit pricey however.
Jp

#5 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,431 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:46

Avoid White Castles sliders.

Unless you are a camel...

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:35

Hopefully biercemountain you've not bought tickets or flights or hotels.

New Date Aug 23rd

https://www.indianap...t-info/schedule

Jp