Photo

New 'Mechanic's Gallon' podcasts now available

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 20:24

OK lads, I've been keeping this under my hat for a good few months now. Just this morning I have uploaded the first four interviews I have recorded with former Formula 1 mechanics, they are Bob Dance, Cedric Selzer, Beaky Sims and the late Pete Kerr. Over time, there will be more to come.

Go here to take a listen/download; https://mechanicsgallon.blogspot.com/

If you enjoy them, please feel free to share the hell out of the link! They will be available on iTunes sometime tomorrow afternoon, too.

There's no money involved whatsoever, they are all free. I do hope you enjoy them.

Here's me recording Beaky Sims

Beaky-and-Gary1-small-copyright.jpg

Edited by Gary C, 23 January 2020 - 20:30.

Advertisement

#2 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 20:54

That sounds terrific, looking forward to listening!!!

#3 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 22:35

Excellent! Thank you, will have a listen to those ASAP.

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:44

This is a really good new idea.

#5 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,056 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 21:55

Brilliant, was thinking a little while ago that someone should capture the mechanics' reminiscences, which would be gold dust, and here they are - free!

#6 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 22:38

Great stuff Gary. Thoroughly enjoyed the Beaky ones and looking forward to the rest

#7 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 00:55

Michael Cass would be a great interview just from his time working for John Wyer alone.

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 20:33

Thanks indeed for the compliments. Have spoken to my podcast expert today and it seems he only hit the 'verify' button when we were on iTunes on Thursday and forgot to hit 'submit' which is why it hasn't turned up yet. If any of you have been looking for it on iTunes, it'll be there later on tomorrow afternoon. Now back to our normal programming.

But whisper it, I have another six interviewees lined up............

Edited by Gary C, 26 January 2020 - 20:35.

#9 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 16:46

Have just listened to the Cedric Selzer podcast - terrific stuff, highly enjoyable.

It would be good, one day, to have transcripts (edited where necessary) collected in a book, to ensure the information is preserved for posterity.

Listening to Cedric Selzer (and to Bob Dance - currently part way through), reminds me of the question I have always wondered about. It's slightly delicate, but Lotus had a reputation of being unable to prepare an equal car for their "number 2". The sheer lack of resource and the repeated all-nighters would probably account for this, but it would be interesting to hear the guys' perspective. Were there instances where they had to say: "that'll have to do" on the second car, while they turned their attention to Clark's?

More clues may emerge from the interviews I haven't heard yet.

#10 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:54

Now available on iTunes!

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 19:44

My next interview subject will be Eamon 'Chalkie' Fuillalove. This guru in metal has worked at Team Lotus, McLaren and a plethora of Indycar teams. This is man is a god with metal! Prepare to be seriously entertained!

#12 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:31

Great stuff, Gary. Thank you so much for making these available.

I‘m currently listening to the first part of the Pete Kerr interview, and enjoying it very much. I loved Cedric Selzer‘s, too. 

Looking forward to the others  :up: 

#13 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 13:18

Glad you enjoyed it, wolf sun. On Tuesday I recorded a new interview which could well be uploaded by the end of next week, with the aforementioned Chalkie Fullalove, great fun as always, something that I hope comes across in the interview.

Here we are in his workshop.

Gary-and-Chalkie-1-small.jpg

Edited by Gary C, 06 February 2020 - 13:24.

#14 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 21:59

I’ve listened to a couple, they are brilliant. Is there a second part for Bob Dance, as it seemed to end abruptly?

Paul M

#15 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 22:04

Er...yes, there will be!  At the time I recorded it we ran out of time and even though I have seen Bob many times over the last 20 years I have never got round to recording him again, he IS on my list.....plus about another 10 guys too.....

#16 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 17:09

We have JUST uploaded the part 1 recording of Chalkie Fullalove, go to https://mechanicsgallon.blogspot.com/ and take a listen, it will be on iTunes in about 30 minutes, I'm told.

#17 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 20:39

I have just arranged my next podcast recording, next week with former Winkelmann, March and Surtees mechanic Pete Briggs. Something I didn't know was that he was Roger Williamson's mechanic that day at Zandvoort.........

I'll let you know when it's online

#18 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 14:52

Have just returned from my recording my latest podcast with Pete Briggs, ex-Winklelmann, Surtees and March mechanic/team manager, it'll be online in around a week or so.

Here is Pete enjoying his first look through some old book or other...

Pete-1-copyright-small.jpg

Click on the pic for a larger image.

#19 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 19:02

business-card2pg.jpg

Advertisement

#20 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 22:00

Well, with near lightning speed, part one of the Pete Briggs interview has made it online this evening, just as a few of us have some time on our hands with the Grand Prix being cancelled (or is it?). Go here to listen to it mechanicsgallon.blogspot.com

#21 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 00:02

Enjoyed listening to the Peter Briggs interview Gary will listen to the others. Thank you.

#22 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 17:13

With sterling work by my sound engineer, part 2 of the Pete Briggs interview is now online!

https://mechanicsgallon.blogspot.com/

#23 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 515 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:49

Very interesting! Good insight on the strengths and flaws of John Surtees and the psyche of drivers in general. Also revelations of the "Max & Bernie Show"

The most intriguing part was however how Paul Stoddart operated (operates??) in his dealings inside the world of motor racing.... Not that it's unique though!

This and the rest of the podcasts could easily been two hours long, look forward to future episodes :)

#24 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:42

Thank you for the compliment. I WAS going to make each podcast the entire interview no matter the length but was advised against it by my resident podcast expert. He said that around 30 mins per podcast was about the maximum that people will listen to, hence I've been cutting them up into separate parts.

#25 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 14:13

Gary - just to say a public thank you for this wonderful series, and well done for nailing such characters, with such stories before time takes its toll. It's change to hear an ad free podcast   , and also one which allows the interviewee  to to wander around a bit on the subject matter too - it adds authenticity and interest, .

I fear some of us will have more time on our hands than usual in the near future  - so keep them coming ? Who is next ?

#26 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 19:55

I'm glad you've enjoyed them, John. I was due to record Dave Luff next week, he is ex-Brabhams and McLarens plus much more, but.....we've decided to hangfire on that for a few weeks.

#27 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 23:32

Thoroughly enjoyed the Briggsy stuff Gary.. I have an indirect connection to someone who used to work as a mechanic  for Paul Stoddart during the Minardi days so will investigate further as to his working practices   ;)

#28 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:01

I received this e-mail overnight from New Zealand:

'Hello there, I am in Lockdown here in New Zealand with my mum.

On her 87th birthday, I was able to play her the Pete Kerr interviews. Pete was my name sake, and uncle, although his real name was David.
To be able to play those interviews of my mum's deceased brother, was just an extraordinary gift, and I can't thank you enough.
Best regards,'

That has absolutely made my day! Stay safe everyone.

#29 R Peck

R Peck

• 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 21:45

Dear Gary

Last week, i purchased a DVD about the 2008 Jim Clark film festival, which I have much enjoyed. I bought it off ebay and on receipt, realised it came from you.

Have also enjoyed your book of photographs, Lotus 72 DVD and especially your podcasts.  Many thanks

Since 2015, I have been a regular attendee at the Herts TNF film shows and am looking forward, once this terrible time is over, to be able to thank you in person.

Stay safe

All the best

Richard Peck

Edited by R Peck, 05 April 2020 - 21:46.

#30 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:35

Hi Richard, thanks indeed for the compliments, you may need to check out these then; www.motorracingdvds.com it includes more of our Peter Warr interview and an interview we filmed a few years ago with Ron Tauranac. Plus there's a 'special' on the Lotus 72 documentary for the rest of today, (it's the 50th anniversary of the launch at Hethel) for the £20 plus p+p you get not only the 2 dvd's as usual but also an extra dvd of 10 minutes of previously unseen film from my collection of the 1937, 1938, 1950 and 1955 British Grands Prix. Order here www.lotus72dvd.com

#31 R Peck

R Peck

• 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:54

Already purchased a copy of the Lotus 72 DVD.  Otherwise, I would have taken you up on the offer!

#32 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 13:01

But what about these! www.motorracingdvds.com

#33 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 17:21

Lads, Engineer Mate Phil has uploaded one of my podcasts on to the Tube of You, this is an experiment, so please see what you think of it;

#34 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 16:36

Pete part 2 in now on Youtube too;

and Chalkie Fullalove:

Edited by Gary C, 13 April 2020 - 17:12.

#35 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 15:17

My Cedric Selzer and Pete Kerr recordings are being uploaded to Youtube as we speak; 

https://www.youtube....b0oQqFAX1tB6bDA

#36 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 18:43

Enjoyed all of the stories. Paul Haig of United Autosports would be a good call. Amazing history in the sport.

#37 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 19:54

Is he in America? Might be a bit of a trek for me.............

#38 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 14:53

Is he in America? Might be a bit of a trek for me.............

No Paul works for United Autosport who are in Wakefield West Yorkshire. Looks after the historic department for Zack Brown and Richard Dean among many other things. Worked for Jim Lee, Madgewick motorsport and was involved at Ginetta with Richard Dean. I doubt there is anyone about who has worked on so many different cars from Lotus Cortinas in the early days right up to the modern LMP2 cars of today.

#39 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:08

Hope it's ok to bump this topic, a few people may have missed it last time around.

Advertisement

#40 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 05:41

...if you enjoyed these podcasts, would really appreciate it if you might take 2 minutes and vote for them at the British Podcast Awards, many thanks indeed
https://www.britishp...VqUdWgiKgDca3v0

#41 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 13:49

Just this week I made test recording of a Zoom call with Team Lotus mechanic Doug Garner, it's only short (8 minutes) but as it worked successfully it means I can now plough ahead with a few more. I'm due to record a much longer interview with Doug on Tuesday (so expect that later in the week) and I already have another two interviewees lined up for the near future. The Short Doug is here: https://m.youtube.co...QZmSo7o_-k&t=2s

#42 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 17:13

Recorded just this morning, the long version of Doug Garner is now here https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be
There's also an audio only version over at the main website at mechanicsgallon.blogspot.com
I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to comment here.

#43 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 15:21

We have just added a new podcast interview to the site and on YouTube at https://m.youtube.co...X1tB6bDA/videos This new one is with Ed Taylor who has history from the mid-80s with Goodyear, Leyton House March, Brabham and Jordan, take a listen! If you enjoy these interviews please leave a comment here to let me know.

#44 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 13:42

Lads, just wondering if anyone from here listens/watches my podcasts? I'm due to record another in the coming week and am debating with myself as to whether I mention it on here at all, as I get minimal feedback. I would have thought the good people of TNF would have enjoyed them.

#45 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 13:54

I do.  Loving the ones with Eddie Taylor, a fellow Blue...

This is vital stuff.  Genuine oral history.  I recognize some stories from the history books but others are so personal.  It was gratifying for instance to hear that Art Pollard was a nice chap, I'd not heard much about him other than his fatal accident so it put a little flesh on the bones.

#46 blackmme

blackmme

• 998 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 17:25

I do and I thoroughly enjoy them and please accept my utmost apologies for not providing better feedback to you.  
As Ensign says this is really important stuff and most importantly unvarnished memories.

Thank you for all of the effort and time that you and your subjects commit.

Regards Mike

#47 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 17:35

Definitely listen to them, thank you. A lot of the reminiscences are from the period when I was first interested in motor racing, and I love hearing stuff from the other side of the fence, so to speak. I sit here going "Yes, I remember that race" or "I was at that one" so it's all good. Apologies for the lack of feedback; you might be expecting too much of my generation - we sit, listen and enjoy and forget to do all the emoji stuff!!

Nick

#48 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 18:15

It's also interesting to hear the details that people do NOT remember, or never even knew.  It shows what their focus was at the time.  E.g. Ed Taylor on Leyton House.

#49 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 20:44

I think they are great, Gary, and hope to listen to many more.

Paul M

#50 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 09:33

I've listened to every one Gary, and looking forward to more.

Thanks for your great time & effort expended on this project.

Rob