Photo

Cheshunt Lakeside (Delamare Road)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 19:49

There are plans for the regeneration of Delamare Road by Broxbourne council, which raises the question of what will happen to the Jim Clark Indianapolis Memorial Plaque on the front of the old Lotus Components building.

https://consult.brox...d=s146555985985

Edited by Bloggsworth, 24 January 2020 - 19:49.

Advertisement

#2 mariner

mariner

• 2,329 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:52

my comment earlier on this in the Hornsey thread

Not Hornsey but Cheshunt - the whole Delamare Road area is undergoing re-development into housing by a company called Inland Homes.

They have already knocked down a lot of the area and more clearance is due soon. The closure of the Tesco head office probably enabled all this as they owned a large number of the buildings in the road.

The Lotus factory and the Team Lotus/Components buildings are still intact and the current Team Lotus building occupant (Monster Gym) has a lease period remaining but it too will go eventually.

So if you want to see the Lotus Cheshunt site go quickly before it is housing.

I was one of the people who put the plaque up. The developers of the whole area have their  offices right opposite the Monster Gym/ Team Lotus site. 

I may approach  to see if they might consider moving   the plaque to their office frontage once the Lotus buildings go down.

Their is a general clause  ( 27) in the local plans framework but whether this applies I would have no idea.

Edited by mariner, 25 January 2020 - 03:55.

#3 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:42

Extraordinary how all these places of work are being turned in to new housing estates.Vast areas of green fields all around the country are having new  housing built over . Herts CC alone have declared  94,000 new homes under construction and /or given the go ahead . Just how  and where are all these millions of new people going to work and earn enough to buy all these properties   and these are by no means minimalist  dwellings . It all looks very much like it will get out of balance and repossessions and unemployment  on a vast scale will again return.

Nothing is sacred.

#4 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:13

Having recently visited Hornsey, I've been considering doing the same for Cheshunt. I'd noticed mariner's earlier post and now this one has spurred me to action - I must get up there.

As an aside to the posting above, I've recently retired from business providing plant to major housebuilders which involved visiting many large 'developments' across the Northants/Beds/Herts area. I'd always look across the sites and ask the various site agents the same question : 'What are all these people going to do ?'.

In every case, the answer was the same : ' ****** if I know, mate...'.

:|

#5 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:22

Glad I visited Hornsey and Cheshunt so long ago: you may remember my "Nostalgia Forum Tour of UK" thread where I visited various old motor-racing related sites many years ago.  All the pics have doubtless fallen off the system, but I've still got them at home.

#6 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:31

Extraordinary how all these places of work are being turned in to new housing estates.Vast areas of green fields all around the country are having new  housing built over . Herts CC alone have declared  94,000 new homes under construction and /or given the go ahead . Just how  and where are all these millions of new people going to work and earn enough to buy all these properties   and these are by no means minimalist  dwellings . It all looks very much like it will get out of balance and repossessions and unemployment  on a vast scale will again return.

Nothing is sacred.

New housing estates/towns/"villages" almost everywhere, Richard.

Dare I say that I saw quite a few as I passed your part of the world the other week on my way to Stansted Airport.  Ordinarily, a very pleasant drive across country for me and actually the quickest way to Stansted, only to be stopped with temporary roadworks seemingly here, there and almost everywhere as more new houses are built (perhaps I should have said thrown up).  I certainly feel something along those lines, the more I see.

Many stories of course about empty estates nationwide, for all the obvious reasons, but don't want to get too off topic!

A bit late, perhaps, but Best Wishes for 2020 Richard!  Hopefully see you soon.

Mark