Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What are you looking forward to in 2020?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 14:57

We've had the Mercedes doom thread, so how about one full of optimism and wish-fulfillment and at worst moderate foreboding?

I'm interested in knowing what events, stories, questions-in-search-of-answers and other such resolutions people here are are anticipating. What are you looking forward to seeing in 2020?

My incomplete list includes:

Zandvoort! Everything about Zandvoort.

A Hamilton-and-Vettel inspired Very Silly Season in F1 for 2021

Roger Penske's first Indy 500 as Circus Owner

The strange and exciting double rookie line-up at McLaren-Schmidt's Indycar team

Fabio Quartararo's Difficult Second Year in MotoGP

Wide-open fields in Moto2 and Moto3 after many graduations and movings-on

What say youse?

Advertisement

#2 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 15:21

Zandvoort! Everything about Zandvoort.

Same here :up:

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:00

The top 3 teams in F1 converging ever closer, although I suspect Mercedes focused on 2020 earlier than Ferrari/RB and will have an advantage yet again.

Zandvoort, absolutely, but also Vietnam which looks great for a new Asian track.

Ricciardo/Ocon team-mate battle.

A wide open WRC title fight despite all the gloom about the series now we lost Citroen.

Very exciting fields of drivers to watch in both F2 and F3, after a bit of a bad F2 year.

#4 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,073 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:07

Am looking forward to:

1. The progress (or regress) of the three 2019 F1 rookies - Norris, Russell, Albon, all very promising but difficult to assess so far.

2. Red Bull-Honda stepping up relative to Ferrari and Mercedes, so we get more defibrilator-worthy battles.

3. Nick Tandy winning again. Might be Le Mans, or 2CVs at Anglesey, or a one-off outing in Formula E. Not bovvered which.

4. Fabio Quartararo's BRILLIANT Second Year in MotoGP.

5. Alice Powell is already fully professional, but that's as a painter/decorator. Make it racing this time, please.

6. Someone inventing a brain-enhancing treatment so I can understand at least some of the acronyms in endurance racing.

7. (Parochial one coming up). British F3, F4 and GT being brilliant as usual.

8. Consuming disgusting amounts of Nescafe Azera coffee from my flask at Hawthorn Bend.

9. David Coulthard's one millionth squeaking of the phrase "energy through the tye-ers".

10. No number ten.

#5 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 18:23

Ah, there's nothing like hope and anticipation.

I'll start with F1. I like to run down each team and explain why they have reason to be optimistic:

1. Mercedes - surely sandbagging/detuned in the closing stages after cruising to both titles. Still unrivalled on raceday. Rumours of new engine architecture will address biggest weakness. Hamilton hungrier than ever.

2. Ferrari - Strong recovery in 2019 and genuine flashes of pace. Leclerc a year older and Vettel a year wiser. Hierarchical tensions presumably defused. Simone Resta back on board. Consistency in regulation and tyre construction may help.

3. Red Bull - Honda partnership a great success. The slow starts of 17, 18 and 19 surely won't be repeated. Verstappen growing ever stronger. Almost back to their best.

4. McLaren - Incredible sense of momentum. The first true "James Key" McLaren. Sainz fully embedded in the team and Norris a fully-fledged Grand Prix driver. Sponsors aplenty. The only way is up.

5. Renault - 2019 chassis marred by a similar problem that plagued McLaren in 2018. Low hanging fruit once resolved? Factory engine finally starting to come good. Ricciardo and Ocon a superb pairing. Time for the investment to pay off.

6. Alpha Tauri - A strong end to 2019 saw them on pace with the best of the midfield. Gasly has refound his speed and Kvyat his confidence. Red Bull/Honda partnership paying dividends.

7. Racing Point - Should start to see benefits from the Stroll money. Another team with a strong recovery in 2019. Finally on an even footing with rivals.

8. Alfa Romeo - Aggressive design team could surprise. Lost their way half way through 2019. Ferrari partnership remains strong. Giovinazzi more comfortable.

9. Haas - Underlying pace strong. Rear-end aero stalling issue surely resolved. No comment. Not sure.

10. Williams - surely can't be as bad as last year. Initial indications positive. Latifi probably stronger than Kubica. Russell a star. Should benefit from new Merc donkey. Can finally focus on being a race team.

:stoned:

I know this isn't an F1 thread, but I always like to spell it out.

I echo others that I'm really looking forward to Zandvoort, it will be crazy.

The F2 field looks really strong. Really gunning for Mick to come through, but it should be a great season nonetheless.

W Series season 2 and how the entire movement develops.

On another note, Le Mans is always a highlight. The end of the LMP1 era. Can Rebellion and Ginetta produce anything?

The continued rise of FE is always fun to watch.

Alonso's next Indy journey will be another thrill.

Edited by TomNokoe, 30 January 2020 - 07:59.

#6 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 19:15

1 - If RB/Max will finally be challenging for WDC

2 - Leclerc vs Vettel part 2 

3 - DR vs Ocon

4 - The Zandvoort sea of orange

5 - Williams supposed revival and how good Russell is

#7 messy

messy

• 7,495 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 19:40

Finally a decent battle between Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull. I mean I’m still not sure it’ll happen. I’ve been hoping for that since 2014, and we were getting close in 17/18 but yeah, basically, an end to Mercedes/Hamilton dominance and the continued rise of the next gen, please.

A really open, unpredictable scrap between some of the best young drivers in the world, with Schwartzman, Lundgaard, Armstrong, Zhou, Ilott, proving that last year’s F2 Pensioners Club was a temporary blip and no more.

Sebastien Ogier getting a wake up call and not getting it all his own way in the WRC. Generally, I want the WRC to prove me wrong and work. It’s all been thrown out of equilibrium when, to my eyes, it was doing very nicely. Now we have Neuville and Tanak in the same team, Ogier moving across to Toyota and paired with likely lapdog Evans, M-Sport nowhere and without their star quality or works support, and no Citroen at all. Ugh, I hate it, even after a cautiously promising Monte I still hate it. Come on WRC, deliver something special.

Marc Marquez getting a wake up call and not getting it all his own way in MotoGP. A strong, strong Yamaha challenge from Vinales and Quartararo would be nice but I think for that to happen Yamaha will have to hit on the magic formula.

#8 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 19:54

Inspired partly by my recent reading of John Aston's book, I'm tired of 'on-line' and 'on-screen'. I want to be there.

So by coincidence having booked a vacation in the Ardennes for the end of April, I'm looking forward to taking in some Spa WEC. The entry may be rubbish, it won't be a shadow of the '73 1000kms which I attended, but I'll just be happy to be at Spa agiain....... :clap:

#9 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 20:53

More like a wishful thinking thread if you ask me!

..Ker Sarah Sarah.Whatever will be ..etc etc..

#10 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 21:14

To 2021

#11 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,073 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 22:32

Inspired partly by my recent reading of John Aston's book, I'm tired of 'on-line' and 'on-screen'. I want to be there.

So by coincidence having booked a vacation in the Ardennes for the end of April, I'm looking forward to taking in some Spa WEC. The entry may be rubbish, it won't be a shadow of the '73 1000kms which I attended, but I'll just be happy to be at Spa agiain....... :clap:

Ahem... you weren't camping at the infield campsite in '73 by any chance? And do you still hear flat-out Matras in your sleep? Or see Arturo Merzario (in cowboy hat) surveying the Alfa Romeo he dinged at Stavelot?

#12 BMWTeamBigazzi

BMWTeamBigazzi

• 226 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 00:45

Gordon Shedden having a comeback year!

#13 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,973 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:42

2. Ferrari - Strong recovery in 2019 and genuine flashes of pace. Leclerc a year old and Vettel a year wiser. Hierarchical tensions presumably defused. Simone Resta back on board. Consistency in regulation and tyre construction may help.

You surely meant Leclerc a year wiser and Vettel a year older??!?

#14 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:56

Sterzo - don't get me started ! No, I wasn't camping in '73  - my Dad & I went with Page & Moy.....not only was it my first overseas race, it was the first time I'd ever been 'abroad'. I treasure the memories ( little realising at the time how close we were to the demise of the 'old' Spa ). Being familiar only with Brands and Silverstone, we stood at Les Combes for about an hour, mesmerised by the sound of the Matras and Ferraris echoing across the valley. It was incredible that there seemed to be no 'on and off' - just constant foot-to-the-floor.

And of course - it was fun to be with a coachload of Brits given the result ! :smoking:

Happy days - but I still love Spa . And the other thing I'll of course look forward to will be going for a little drive along the Masta straight toward Stavelot, although perhaps my wife doesn't look forward to this quite as much as I do.........

#15 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:24

More television-free sunday afternoons in 2020. 

#16 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:47

You surely meant Leclerc a year wiser and Vettel a year older??!?

:p Leclerc a year older is all-encompassing.

Vettel a year wiser is ... a bit of a joke :p

Let's wait and see! Hope, optimism

#17 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,701 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:27

This is a good question for a thread. To be honest, I don't have a fantastic feeling going into the season even though it does dangle the possibility of a keenly fought Mercedes vs Ferrari vs Red Bull fight, so I don't know why I'm not feeling that. Maybe once the season gets underway? I guess I am guilty of seeing the future only in terms of what has happened before and that therefore I sort of presume two of the three teams will consistently fumble the catches but maybe this is the year everyone manages to deliver their best. Let's hope.

Really looking forward to F1 going back to Zandvoort although I haven't been keeping up with every twist and turn of the frantic efforts to get it all ready and therefore I'm going to just stubbornly hope all the grassy sand dunes near the track are still there.

Like Alonso, I am also looking forward to whatever giant media bellows get applied to the eternal tiny flame of hope that is 'this might be the year Bottas becomes more talented than Hamilton, somehow'. Perhaps something better than last year's effort - porridge and f bombs.

#18 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:46

Mostly if Red Bull give Max a car capable of eeking out a WDC.

#19 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:17

• Verstappen WDC
  • Veekay winning an Indycar race
  • Monza for my first ever live GP at grandstand 6B.

Advertisement

#20 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 1,200 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:51

#21 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:13

This is a good question for a thread. To be honest, I don't have a fantastic feeling going into the season even though it does dangle the possibility of a keenly fought Mercedes vs Ferrari vs Red Bull fight, so I don't know why I'm not feeling that. Maybe once the season gets underway? I guess I am guilty of seeing the future only in terms of what has happened before and that therefore I sort of presume two of the three teams will consistently fumble the catches but maybe this is the year everyone manages to deliver their best. Let's hope.

I know what you mean, although after a pretty fun second half of 2019 I'm on board for this season. Leclerc and Verstappen are such good value and there's an extra frisson whenever anyone races Hamilton these days because Lewis is such an established champ that attempts to try and grab his crown are fraught with extra meaning.

For some reason I am red-hot excited about MotoGP. There are so many stories and teams to follow there even though you pretty much know Marquez will win 11 races and the championship again. I fell a bit out of love with the series after the sub-Alonso theatrics of 2015 (disappearing off the BBC didn't help) but there's a lot to tempt me back.

We also had the Rallye Monte-Carlo Historique pass through town this morning and I realized how much I missed the sound and smell of fast cars.

#22 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:38

After the Lorenzo <> Rossi shenanigans, I follow MotoGP a lot less. Marquez walking away with it doesn't help either.

https://en.wikipedia...9_MotoGP_season

6 2nd's (and close ones at that as well), with only the freak fall in Austin preventing him racking up 13 victories. 

#23 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 13:20

If I write it I might jinx it.

#24 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 20:07

Jinxes are what we live off! Tell!

#25 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 20:39

There are just too many things to list for F1, but I’m mostly looking forward to the team mate battles this year. Leclerc vs Vettel, Ricciardo vs Ocon, Sainz vs Norris, etc. The list goes on...

Then of course the Indy season and the 500 in particular, along with seeing how the McLaren SP drivers do over the season. Same goes for Colton Herta.

I’m not a “hardcore” fan of any other series atm, I also watch Formula E but it just doesn’t capture me like F1 or Indycar does. I suppose I need to find another series to watch.

#26 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,089 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 22:24

IGTC! Man am I waiting for that new round of Indy, plus all the modern and classic classics already in the series.

Of course then there's Indycar, IMSA, Ex-Blancpain GT's, N24, NLS (former VLN), Le Mans, ELMS...

I feel almost spoiled.

#27 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 23:23

I cant remember a less exciting season for motorsports, at least for the series I follow.  

F2 will probably have the least exciting field ever(including GP2 seasons).  

WSBK is looking dreadful, with the most exciting thing being Scott Redding at Ducati, though Rea will still likely walk away with things. 

MotoGP also has nothing exciting whatsoever to look forward to.  Gonna see Marc embarrass his brother in a smooth sail to another championship. 

F1 has a few driver pairing battles that might be good, but it's otherwise likely not gonna be anything exciting, as we all wait for 2021's changes.   

#28 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:08

Rossi to win the MotoGP title would be my guess.  :wave:

I'm not a big McLaren or Sainz jr fan, but I'd like to see both of them be at least podium challengers this year. Both made big strides last season.

In MotoGP, Rins becomes a consistent player.

#29 Raemius

Raemius

• 318 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:11

1. Hanoi 2020 - especially as I'm going!

2. Williams being competitive again so we can see just how good Russell is.

3. McLaren - can they really keep the momentum? I think so

4. Renault - will they give Danny a car he deserves? (probably not)

5. Haas - lots of swearing from Gunther, lots of moaning from Grosjean and lots of bumper cars from Magnussen.

6. Stop the incessant moaning about tyres (never happen...)

7. Marques toppled from his perch - even if it's the other Marques

8. Ogier not in top 3 in WRC

9. V8 Supercars giving us plenty of surpises and close battles

#30 baddog

baddog

• 29,764 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:28

3 competitive teams from race one.

I can dream

#31 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:27

Main hopes for the season include:

• McLaren taking a significant step forward and actually looking like getting the odd podium at least
  • Ferrari finally producing a car without a serious flaw
  • Red Bull producing a title contender
  • Mercedes not having the best car
  • Having at least a genuine three-way car battle for the title, most likely Merc/Ferrari/Red Bull

#32 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,841 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:42

I thought most people were not looking forward to Zandvoort because it was a guaranteed boring race. Therefore I figured it had a good chance of offering a positive surprise.

Now that I read here that many people are actually looking forward to it, I fear it´s going to be a boring race after all... :(

I´m looking forward to hopefully an exciting season with a long title battle.

#33 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,129 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:45

Looking forward to a close battle between the top 3 teams giving Max & Charles every opportunity to show their credentials to become future WDCs. Most of all though Lewis raising the bar even higher to fight off the young guns! 

#34 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:48

#35 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:52

I change my mind. I don't even care if Lewis wins another, closely beating Max. I just want exciting races as often as possible and a championship that goes to at least the second last race.

#36 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:55

If possible, with all education, to silence some rabid MS fans bad-mouthing Hamilton everywhere.

Edited by Boxerevo, 01 February 2020 - 09:01.

#37 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,717 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:14

What are you looking forward to in 2020?
I'm looking forward to 2021.

#38 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,001 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 13:26

I can't believe no one mention Lewis missing Croydon for another year..... :rotfl:

Edited by MasterOfCoin, 01 February 2020 - 17:22.

#39 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,073 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 13:37

I can't believe no one mention Lewis missing Croydon for anther year..... :rotfl:

You must mean staying away from Croydon. Nobody misses Croydon, no matter how long they're away.

Advertisement

#40 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 14:06

To be totally honest the only thing I'm looking forward to is the last race as then the 2021 season will be closer.

oh and indycars, where you know.  We'll actually get some wheel to wheel racing and not know will win the titles before the season starts.

#41 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 2,205 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 15:17

Schumacher's win and championship records being equaled.

Indy 500

William's improvement

Maybe going to the Austin GP

#42 M66R

M66R

• 574 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 16:47

Formula e going full Formula e

#43 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 16:52

5 for F1

1. A prolonged battle for the lead in each race, and continued battles in the mid-field. (don't care much who wins the WDC, and WCC)

2. Two first time winners.

3.Continued improvement by McLaren, and a bounce back season by Renault and Danny R.

4. Haas figure out how tires work, and Grosjean melds his natural talent, to improved thought processes.

5. A mid-season announcement that Fernando Alonso (with other people's money) has purchased an existing F1 team and intends a return to F1, both as a driver and team principal. 

***** This thread seems somewhat similar to the "What You Want To See" thread started earlier.

#44 Amin

Amin

• 706 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:26

The 4-way fight for a 2021 Alfa Romeo seat between Giovinazzi, Schumacher, Schwartzman and Armstrong.

Seeing how Vesti compares to a better level of F3 talent.

The new WEC regulations at Silverstone.

F2 will probably have the least exciting field ever(including GP2 seasons).  

You obviously didn't pay attention to F3 last year.

Edited by Amin, 05 February 2020 - 08:41.

#45 baddog

baddog

• 29,764 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:29

I change my mind. I don't even care if Lewis wins another, closely beating Max. I just want exciting races as often as possible and a championship that goes to at least the second last race.

Amen, thats all I ever ask from from a season... to genuinely NOT know who is going to win 2/3 of the way through