Photo

"F1's options to define its next powertrain step" story

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snark

snark

• 330 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:00

While trying to ignore the imflamatory tone of Jake Boxall-Legge's arctle about future F1 powertrain directions, we stumble across this "fact":

There's definitely merit in pursuing high-performance fuel cell technology, and due to hydrogen's prevalence in the atmosphere (it accounts for almost 75% of the planet's elemental composition) it's worth being able to harness something so abundant.

Some basic research would show that hydrogen makes up for about 0.000053% of the atmosphere's composition (https://eesc.columbi...te/table_1.html) and about 0.7% of the planets composition (https://en.wikipedia..._elements#Earth).  I'm assuming that Jake somehow got our planet and the universe mixed up?

And no, I didn't like the attempt to insult anyone who likes the sound of a V12 in half a dozen different ways.

EDIT: Dang, meant to post this in the Website Feedback forum.  Can it be moved?

Edited by snark, 31 January 2020 - 03:03.

Advertisement

#2 ATM

ATM

• 1,038 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:41

He must be thinking of the hydrogen in the water, but even that one does not make 75% (God bless).
Or maybe he’s thinking Venus?

#3 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:31

Yeah, he is thinking universe. Earth and Venus don't have enough gravity to keep the lightest element from escaping into space.

The funny thing is currently almost all H-gas is produced from fossil fuels.

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,955 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:33

EDIT: Dang, meant to post this in the Website Feedback forum.  Can it be moved?

Of course.

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 13:05

As I hadn't heard of the author of that strange claim, I had a look online and was dismayed to find that the LinkedIn entry says:

"I am the current Technical Editor for Autosport, in which I analyse and present engineering developments in categories such as Formula 1, Formula E and any further areas of interest."