- - - - -

(Technical Thread) Scuderia Ferrari SF1000

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#201 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:02

Good on Ferrari for developing the barge board area but how in the hell can  F1 be serious about making the cars more easier to follow and leave that garbage on there? How hard is it to just say no barge boards or any appendages in that area at all? Done! It's not effin' hard!!!

Err, that's exactly what is being done for 2021.......... :D

Advertisement

#202 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,770 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:05

It would be hilarious if the SF1000 and the W11 end up looking very similar....

To my eye they will. They all look basically the same bar the liveries. My eye seems to skip every little detail through a complete lack of interest. The Ferrari and RB don't look any different to last years cars to me. Just being honest. That all said I generally like the presentation of the Ferrari colours. 

#203 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,273 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:38

Last year's car was a bullet in a straight line but I'm amazed that they appear to have made this car even more streamlined. The bodywork around the PU and the section behind the drivers head is so much more refined compared to last year. 

We can only hope that they've managed to drastically increase downforce, and without effecting straight line performance too much.

#204 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 799 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:53

More comparison with the SF 90

https://twitter.com/...540551559524353

https://twitter.com/...541451455815681

#205 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 41 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:25

Last year's car was a bullet in a straight line but I'm amazed that they appear to have made this car even more streamlined. The bodywork around the PU and the section behind the drivers head is so much more refined compared to last year. 

We can only hope that they've managed to drastically increase downforce, and without effecting straight line performance too much.

narrowing the bodywork areas that you mentioned will increase downforce at the rear since it increases airflow to the rear wing and (more important) diffuser. 

#206 medeni73

medeni73

• 522 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:31

Ferrari making filming day/shakedown run before Barcelona?

#207 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,440 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:02

EQkZnvNX0AAwJuA.jpg

EQkZnvfWsAAbEj0.jpg

EQkZnvRXYAAfXLR.jpg

EQkZnvtWkAEqaEi.jpg
EQkacMMWsAAsZHO.jpg

EQkacMHWkAEvekt.jpg
Via @NicolasF1i

Edited by Unicast, 12 February 2020 - 12:07.

#208 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,440 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:06

Some serious redesign went on around the side-pods and back-end of the car... I think it's the first time I see a Ferrari going for the more rounder and curved side-pod design, they used to prefer the more bulkier type in recent years.

Front suspension also changed and it looks like they used the Mercedes solution.

Edited by Unicast, 12 February 2020 - 12:08.

#209 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,648 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:47

The changes they have made look impressive.

#210 dissident

dissident

• 161 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 13:28

I only had a glance yesterday and it seemed very similar to last year's car, but after a more detailed look there are actually a lot of fundamental changes.

Too bad the matt livery was carried over.

#211 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 1,748 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 14:28

Binotto already said that they know this car is faster in the slow turns but slower in the straights than last year car.

#212 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,877 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 15:21

Very, very impressive packaging. Those side pods look almost non-existent. I think it's all gong to come down to if they can figure out the tyres. We'll never know until Melbourne, but I'm fully expecting this car to be right there at the front.

#213 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 15:36

I'm calling it - this car is either going to win either WDC, WCC or both. All my predictions have been right so far. 

#214 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,200 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 15:46

I'm calling it - this car is either going to win either WDC, WCC or both. All my predictions have been right so far. 

But things have been getting close each passing year. This year is going to be like 2010.  (Be sure to give me the props when it turns out as I predicted)  ;)

#215 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 15:47

This car looks much more developed than Red Bull for sure. If Ferrari can get their act together, they can be big threat to Mercedes. I haven't had this feeling for Ferrari cars since 2008.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 12 February 2020 - 16:29.

#216 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,770 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 16:22

But things have been getting close each passing year. This year is going to be like 2010.  (Be sure to give me the props when it turns out as I predicted)  ;)

Ouch!

#217 Kush

Kush

• 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 17:06

new video from preparation

Edited by Kush, 12 February 2020 - 17:06.

#218 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 17:08

This car looks much more developed than Red Bull for sure. If Ferrari can get their act together, they can be big threat to Mercedes. I haven't had this feeling for Ferrari cars since 2008.

We haven’t seen much yet, everyone is keeping a lot Under wraps. Come Australia and by 4th race the cars would have evolved a lot since these concepts were put to rest and allowed to be shown at launch. Ferrari has said much months ago saying they will do what Mercedes did last at the test sessions. RB wanted an early car so they did the same.

Edited by Paco, 12 February 2020 - 17:09.

#219 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 17:19

We haven’t seen much yet, everyone is keeping a lot Under wraps. Come Australia and by 4th race the cars would have evolved a lot since these concepts were put to rest and allowed to be shown at launch. Ferrari has said much months ago saying they will do what Mercedes did last at the test sessions. RB wanted an early car so they did the same.

Teams always say that their car is gonna change a lot when they get to the first race but we only see small incrimental changes here and there. We have only seen big aero package upgrade from Mercedes last year. We have 6 days of testing this year so I don't think we will see any big changes on the launch specs.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 12 February 2020 - 17:19.

Advertisement

#220 Hela

Hela

• 649 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 17:25

Marklar...you devil you!! :)

#221 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 777 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 17:27

Anyone else notice red bull has opted for Ferrari’s front wing design? Glad to see others taking inspiration from our ideas  :p

#222 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 17:31

Anyone else notice red bull has opted for Ferrari’s front wing design? Glad to see others taking inspiration from our ideas  :p

I remember at last years launch, some claiming that the Ferrari style wing would be used to sweep the competition :lol: .

#223 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 799 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 17:47

They tested a similar FW back in Brazil.

I still think we'll see changes in some parts during testing. For Ferrari  pretty much "every source" ( motorsport, F1AT and formula passion) said that the car will change a bit unlike last year where they "only" tried a  different floor.  RB and Mercedes will do the same for sure.

#224 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,438 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:24

Car looks decent. A lot of work gone into that packaging.

I expect many reliability gremlins.

#225 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,214 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:54

I was hoping you wont see my post - nothing ever escapes you on this forum  :mad:

#226 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,671 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:36

Is there a shakedown / filming day?

#227 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,273 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 19:08

Anyone else notice red bull has opted for Ferrari’s front wing design? Glad to see others taking inspiration from our ideas :p

McLaren committing to the concept as well.

#228 zibby43

zibby43

• 146 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 19:57

Anyone else notice red bull has opted for Ferrari’s front wing design? Glad to see others taking inspiration from our ideas :p

They haven’t.

There’s a little less loading on the RB FW’s outermost edges on the uppermost flaps, but they don’t swoop down to the bottom of the end plate nearly as dramatically as on the Ferrari.

Not even close.

#229 KongKurs

KongKurs

• 286 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:00

So what is it about Ferrari and not being able to keep a sequence of numbers going for more than a couple of years? Why is it called the SF1000?

I was thinking the same thing. Big gap from 90 to 1000.

At this rate, the 2021 Ferrari will be named SF11,111  :eek:

#230 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 840 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:10

So that should have been last year's car, surely?

F1 reached 1,000 last year but Ferrari didn't. Mainly due to the Indy 500 races that were counted as part of the championship, but Ferrari didn't compete in.

Wikipedia says 993 entries, 990 starts. So I guess they'll celebrate it at either Baku or Austria depending on which count they are using. 

Had China not be cancelled, likely they would have chosen Monaco , which would have taken them to 1000 entries.

#231 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,273 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:10

With Mercedes and Red Bull revealing their cars, it's quite clear that Ferrari are 100% committed to last year's front wing concept. 

The Mercedes looks like it's been on a massive diet over the winter, with much slimmer, Ferrari-esque sidepods. Even if we can't close the gap to them completely, I hope our qualifying advantage remains and that we are still in the mix.

#232 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:17

A beautiful car! Want this one to be a real winner. 

#233 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 777 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:08

With Mercedes and Red Bull revealing their cars, it's quite clear that Ferrari are 100% committed to last year's front wing concept. 

The Mercedes looks like it's been on a massive diet over the winter, with much slimmer, Ferrari-esque sidepods. Even if we can't close the gap to them completely, I hope our qualifying advantage remains and that we are still in the mix.

Fingers crossed

#234 Okyo

Okyo

• 1,399 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:51

Do have quite a bit of confidence in this years car. You would think that if Mercedes migrated to sidepod inlets of the style we had in 2018-2019, they would have cought up in this area and the benefits it provides, but we can see that this year we actually went away from the previous design and went for a way more similar style to the RedBull (in the sidepod profile and inlet style and how it connects to the vertical sidepod vane).

If the team knows what they are doing, we should still keep the advantage at least in this area of the car. 

But you know, who knows? Maybe the team screwed up in the implementation of the newer desing and it's gonna be a long season.

Edited by Okyo, 14 February 2020 - 11:54.

#235 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,633 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:59

I was impressed with the Ferrari, but as usual, it's short lived after seeing the Red Bull and Mercedes.  Ferrari just always seem at least a year behind in terms of packaging, and are much less adventurous in regards to suspension design(probably still suffering from PTSD after 2011).  

My guess is that Ferrari are too afraid to compromise on engine performance in any way as engines are what they're known for, but this creates a situation where their drivetrain package as a whole is more cumbersome than others, reducing the possibilities for the aero guys to slim things down more.  The gains this year are not bad by any means, but it's come with compromises(sidepods are wider this year) that other teams tend to be able to avoid or at least minimize while still making similar or even more impressive gains. 

Edited by Seanspeed, 14 February 2020 - 12:08.

#236 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,671 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:08

I was impressed with the Ferrari, but as usual, it's short lived after seeing the Red Bull and Mercedes.  Ferrari just always seem at least a year behind in terms of packaging, and are much less adventurous in regards to suspension design(probably still suffering from PTSD after 2011).  

My guess is that Ferrari are too afraid to compromise on engine performance in any way as engines are what they're known for, but this creates a situation where their drivetrain package as a whole is more cumbersome than others, reducing the possibilities for the aero guys to slim things down more.  The gains this year are not bad by any means, but it's come with compromises(sidepods are wider this year) that other teams tend to be able to avoid while still making similar or even more impressive gains. 

Testing hasn't even started man....

#237 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,633 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:12

Testing hasn't even started man....

Sure, but I dont think it's a coincidence that Ferrari tend to get beaten by Mercedes and Red Bull basically every year in terms of pure mid-high speed cornering ability, while they consistently have more impressive packaging/bodywork.  Obviously it's not everything, but it's certainly always a major focus for the designers, so must be quite impactful.  

Edited by Seanspeed, 14 February 2020 - 12:12.

#238 jey16

jey16

• 313 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:12

Without seeing a direct comparison, it’s hard to say who has done a better job in terms of packaging. Pictures can be misleading and the obsession about packaging gets tiring every year, yes it plays a part in the performance of the car but there are more important things for the teams to focus on

#239 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,671 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:13

Sure, but I dont think it's a coincidence that Ferrari tend to get beaten by Mercedes and Red Bull basically every year in terms of pure mid-high speed cornering ability, while they consistently have more impressive packaging/bodywork.  Obviously it's not everything, but it's certainly always a major focus for the designers, so must be quite impactful.  

I'm no aerodynamicist at all, but to me, Ferrari's packaging looks just as impressive as either of those cars.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 14 February 2020 - 12:17.

Advertisement

#240 Okyo

Okyo

• 1,399 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:16

Well you know, none of us are aerodynamics engineers. We can't really see what the modeling software is telling the teams about the performance of their cars. Heck, even when the software tells them that it's working well, we've seen Ferrari and RedBull having huge instabilities in reality. 

We can only broadly speculate using logic like "oh, that seemed to work for team X, now we're using it, hence - good". Then of course you see the Williams example where they just slapped cool features of top teams on the car and it really did jack. 

As always, only when it hits the track we'll and the teams will have some certainty. 

#241 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:17

it’s always a compromise, Ferrari has bigger sidepods than Mercedes and RB but has a smaller airbox, what you gain here you lose there, the engine must be cooled in some way; in this regard, quite a different concept from Mercedes and RB, we will see on track who has the edge.

#242 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,633 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:18

Without seeing a direct comparison, it’s hard to say who has done a better job in terms of packaging. Pictures can be misleading and the obsession about packaging gets tiring every year, yes it plays a part in the performance of the car but there are more important things for the teams to focus on

I mean, I've been looking at some direct comparisons, hence my comment.

When the competition is super tough, you need to scrape every little bit of performance you can find.  I dont like always playing for 2nd place.   

#243 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:19

Sure, but I dont think it's a coincidence that Ferrari tend to get beaten by Mercedes and Red Bull basically every year in terms of pure mid-high speed cornering ability, while they consistently have more impressive packaging/bodywork. Obviously it's not everything, but it's certainly always a major focus for the designers, so must be quite impactful.

in 2017 Ferrari was the best in the corners, that car with the current engine would have won.

#244 Okyo

Okyo

• 1,399 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:24

Seeing what delicate flowers the cars have been in recent years, you could be hitting all of the marks aerodynamicaly, but then  - Oh hi there, it'sa me, tire degredation, because your car is overworking the tires with your fancy aero OR not heating them enough.

#245 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,633 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:30

in 2017 Ferrari was the best in the corners, that car with the current engine would have won.

Best in slow-medium speed corners and quick transitions, yea.  Short wheelbase made it super agile compared to the long Merc.  But long wheelbase has been better for downforce/balance in higher speed stuff, which is overall more important over the whole calendar, hence Ferrari going in that direction since.  

#246 LightningMcQueen

LightningMcQueen

• 193 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 13:52

Best in slow-medium speed corners and quick transitions, yea. Short wheelbase made it super agile compared to the long Merc. But long wheelbase has been better for downforce/balance in higher speed stuff, which is overall more important over the whole calendar, hence Ferrari going in that direction since.

Mercedes improved dramatically in the slow speed also..

#247 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 1,092 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 14:20

The last years there was always hope and it was partialy delivered (2017&2018) but this year im not feeling it. I just have the feeling it will be Merc vs red bull and us in 3rd in no mans land. I just feel that Red Bull and Mercedes are so much better run and Ferrari is much more a hit and miss entity. One year they can produce a great car the next can be a turd. Its never a steady upwards line like say Mercedes has and Red bull again since 2017. I hope i am wrong ofcourse but this time i am quite sceptical but thats maybe better then last year when Melbourne was such a deception... well the whole season actualy :lol: 

#248 MoP

MoP

• 547 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 14:31

Best in slow-medium speed corners and quick transitions, yea.  Short wheelbase made it super agile compared to the long Merc.  But long wheelbase has been better for downforce/balance in higher speed stuff, which is overall more important over the whole calendar, hence Ferrari going in that direction since.  

Obviously the engine was by far not on par with Merc in 2017, especially in the race. On the faster tracks they had to shed quite a bit of wing to compensate. That was clearly visible.

#249 MoP

MoP

• 547 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 14:33

The last years there was always hope and it was partialy delivered (2017&2018) but this year im not feeling it. I just have the feeling it will be Merc vs red bull and us in 3rd in no mans land. I just feel that Red Bull and Mercedes are so much better run and Ferrari is much more a hit and miss entity. One year they can produce a great car the next can be a turd. Its never a steady upwards line like say Mercedes has and Red bull again since 2017. I hope i am wrong ofcourse but this time i am quite sceptical but thats maybe better then last year when Melbourne was such a deception... well the whole season actualy :lol:

Red Bull had a LOT of aerodynamic question marks and teething problems the last few years. It*s a myth that they re always rock solid.

#250 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 14:50

RedBull's cars are massively overrated because of consistent wins at their specialist tracks and profiting over Ferrari ands Mercedes brain-farts.

Wonder how many times this front wing will be sprayed across tracks/stuck under a Mercedes RW this season.