- - - - -

(Technical Thread) Scuderia Ferrari SF1000

• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#251 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,440 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 16:03

I was impressed with the Ferrari, but as usual, it's short lived after seeing the Red Bull and Mercedes.  Ferrari just always seem at least a year behind in terms of packaging, and are much less adventurous in regards to suspension design(probably still suffering from PTSD after 2011).  

My guess is that Ferrari are too afraid to compromise on engine performance in any way as engines are what they're known for, but this creates a situation where their drivetrain package as a whole is more cumbersome than others, reducing the possibilities for the aero guys to slim things down more.  The gains this year are not bad by any means, but it's come with compromises(sidepods are wider this year) that other teams tend to be able to avoid or at least minimize while still making similar or even more impressive gains. 

I think there is some truth to your statements, certainly the level of refinement and attention to details seems to be missing a bit compared to Mercedes & RedBull.

This has always been the case (in the past few years) and it might not be a coincidence.

Our car has taken a good step forward in terms of refinement compared to what we had in previous years, for example the side-pod design has clearly taken a big step forward, Ferrari were so conservative on this front for year and now we finally make some steps forward.

It's the same story with the suspension and front-end of the car... but I must say that this year car looks very refined and with a good level of complexity along the bargeboard/crash structure/side-pod area so there is progress.

I feel there is more to be gained on the front-end, Ferrari almost never touches that area and when they do it's only subtle changes, for example both Mercedes & RedBull and McLaren have moved towards a lower cross section nose, slimmer at the front in order to gain airflow and improve aero performance, we are quite classical in that respect.

Secretly I hope we will see quite large change on the front, the current design looks way to conservative and very similar to last year but we will see in Barcelona what the team has in stored.

Edited by Unicast, 14 February 2020 - 16:04.

Advertisement

#252 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,877 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 16:10

The Ferrari SF1000's side pods seem to have gone lower than last season's SF90's. Red Bull had the high side pods last year and they've retained it this year, while Merc had low side pods this year while this year they've gone high and Allison said as much, that they've copied the others for downforce gains. So I find it strange that Ferrari decided to go the opposite tact and lower it.

#253 Massa

Massa

• 7,618 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 16:32

Sidepods are as high as before, Ferrari pioneered the high sidepods concept they know what they are doing in this regard.

The packaging of the car is as great if not greater than Red Bull or Mercedes, the empty space on the back is HUGE

#254 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 23:37

do we have a proper pic comparison of Ferrari vs Mercedes/RB?

#255 Jerem

Jerem

• 1,564 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:42

1. Presentations: "Looks like the Ferrari engineers didn't put as much effort in their car as Merc and RB did, looks slow."

2. Testing: "Yeah Ferrari are topping the timesheets, but they're lighter and using softer tyres. Oh wait no, they actually have the best car, even though Mercedes are sandbagging heavily."

3. First few races: "Ferrari are worth more than this, once they get their **** together they'll dominate."

4. Merc wraps both titles, season over.

5. "Ferrari had the best car last year, but they lost due to other issues - typically, Seb and strategy suck".

6. Repeat.

Edited by Jerem, 15 February 2020 - 07:42.

#256 CL16

CL16

• 1,258 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:59

https://the-race.com...1s-engine-saga/

Let’s hope the chassis is up to the job this year.

#257 paulb

paulb

• 7,227 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:45

Any idea how the wheelbase compares to the 2019 car?

#258 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,877 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:56

Sidepods are as high as before, Ferrari pioneered the high sidepods concept they know what they are doing in this regard.

The packaging of the car is as great if not greater than Red Bull or Mercedes, the empty space on the back is HUGE

Yeah the packaging looks amazing, very tight at the rear and I'm super impressed as I said in a previous post.

I'm not sure about the side pods height. Would be good to see a proper comparison between the SF90 and SF1000 in the same perspectives.

#259 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,671 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 13:04

Everyone has written Ferrari off already. Just how I like it!

Advertisement

#260 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 13:04

Any idea how the wheelbase compares to the 2019 car?

From what I've read it's marginally shorter as a result of the gearbox having been reduced in size. Rake is identical but they'll experiment with it in testing.

#261 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,198 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 13:17

Everyone has written Ferrari off already. Just how I like it!

Isnt that the script every year? Everyone writes them off after launch, then they are suddenly in the business in pre-season testing and then depression hits coming Melbourne.

#262 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 14:34

Isnt that the script every year? Everyone writes them off after launch, then they are suddenly in the business in pre-season testing and then depression hits coming Melbourne.

Testing in 2018 was pretty awful for Ferrari fans. Thankfully they fluked a win in Australia and the floor fix was rushed forward to Bahrain.

#263 vlado

vlado

• 321 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 14:39

https://the-race.com...1s-engine-saga/

Let’s hope the chassis is up to the job this year.

Mercedes seem pretty confident that Ferrari's engine advantage was nothing but illegal.. Can't wait to find out if it was true, even though Ferrari can say they went for max downforce high drag car and Mercedes made huge gains on the PU side to save face. Not long now.

#264 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 14:42

Mercedes seem pretty confident that Ferrari's engine advantage was nothing but illegal.. Can't wait to find out if it was true, even though Ferrari can say they went for max downforce high drag car and Mercedes made huge gains on the PU side to save face. Not long now.

If the PUs are closer in performance this year then I'd expect that's because Mercedes have found big gains. Ferrari seem confident that they've found even more performance but with Merc's gains, I expect that the gap will be smaller.

#265 AnR

AnR

• 669 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 15:43

You do know that Ferrari as a team is the most successfull there is in F1? More than twice the wins as Merc has that might interest you perhaps?

#266 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,198 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 15:57

You do know that Ferrari as a team is the most successfull there is in F1? More than twice the wins as Merc has that might interest you perhaps?

I'm not really sure what your point is, unless you want to get triggered over nothing, in which case you just achieved that. With "every year" I obviously mean in the not so far past. The distant past is irrelevant, since it has pretty much nothing to do with the present anymore. Williams and McLaren say hi.

That aside that this wasnt even a criticism to the team but more to their public perception, so you missed the point entirely once again.

Edited by Marklar, 15 February 2020 - 15:59.

#267 drionita

drionita

• 194 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 16:53

Do you know that Ferrari has been in the business since 1950 and that means 70 years in a row with a 25% of wins, while Merc - as standalone - has 2 seasons in Fifties and now 10 seasons in a row with 48+ % of wins? And that as engine manufacturer Merc is only 41 wins behind Ferrari despite of being in the business for less than 30 years, that is less than half of Ferrari?

#268 Massa

Massa

• 7,618 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 18:37

Do you know that Ferrari has been in the business since 1950 and that means 70 years in a row with a 25% of wins, while Merc - as standalone - has 2 seasons in Fifties and now 10 seasons in a row with 48+ % of wins? And that as engine manufacturer Merc is only 41 wins behind Ferrari despite of being in the business for less than 30 years, that is less than half of Ferrari?

So what ?

#269 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 19:54

So what ?

Mercedes is better than Ferrari 😂

Let’s have a laugh

Edited by ferrarista, 15 February 2020 - 19:54.

#270 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 00:44

The packaging is good and the car looks very elegant with its smooth lines and contours, however it's package isn't really yet at the level of Mercedes, including last years W10:

sff-740x710.jpg

j5XCyvI.png

Edited by OO7, 16 February 2020 - 00:45.

#271 baddog

baddog

• 27,590 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:19

The comments simply make no sense. What about the 'package' is not at the level? Its not crude in design or detail execution or build, there is literally nothing whatsoever that looks simplistic or outdated about it, there are just design decisions that you and I are not remotely qualified to judge based on looking at a damned photograph.

Does shiny silver and black and fadey paint really make a car look futuristic to people or what?

#272 femi

femi

• 7,477 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:33

Nothing more than expression of opinions really, perhaps some more informed than another. Nothing to get worked up about. If Ferrari met set goals, good for them. The same goes for Mercedes or any team in the paddock.

We will see in Melbourne and beyond. Anyone interested has the right to come back to these postings and compare notes!

It would be epic if RB16 goes faster than Ferrari in straight lines. That would certainly beg a few questions...

Edited by femi, 16 February 2020 - 07:36.

#273 zibby43

zibby43

• 146 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:16

The comments simply make no sense. What about the 'package' is not at the level? Its not crude in design or detail execution or build, there is literally nothing whatsoever that looks simplistic or outdated about it, there are just design decisions that you and I are not remotely qualified to judge based on looking at a damned photograph.

Does shiny silver and black and fadey paint really make a car look futuristic to people or what?

He was simply pointing out a fact.  Specifically, the fact that the W11's bodywork is shrink-wrapped around the rad's (side pod area and extended area behind it, transitioning to the engine cover) at a level that the SF1000's is not.

Same goes for the engine cover. 

And it's about as obvious to spot as the difference between the colors blue and orange, if you understand what to look for.

He literally said nothing about the Ferrari packaging being crude, simplistic, or outdated. 

As you say, design choices play a role in this, but certain design choices also have huge aerodynamic advantages, and with this set of regulations, packaging is a metric.   Tighter packaging allows you to feed more air to the rear section of the floor and diffuser, which is a critical area in terms of producing loads of efficient downforce.

Edited by zibby43, 16 February 2020 - 08:18.

#274 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:08

I’m no aerodinamicist at all, but I think most of the cooling of the Ferrari is in the sidepods, whereas for RB and Mercedes is also in the airbox, in fact the fin on the engine cover looks quite bigger on the Ferrari than Mercedes for instance (and would also benefit the CoG I think). I don’t know how much this counts about the airflow towards the rear of the car and if it counts in deciding who better packaged the car at the rear.

Said this, I still don’t think this car will be able to challenge the Mercedes, but in a few weeks we will know.

Edited by ferrarista, 16 February 2020 - 09:10.

#275 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:15

Also, according to Sky Italia the new car would be half a second faster in Hungary; we have to guess half a sec faster than the Hungary spec or than the Singapore spec.

#276 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,671 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:20

Also, according to Sky Italia the new car would be half a second faster in Hungary; we have to guess half a sec faster than the Hungary spec or than the Singapore spec.

If that’s accurate (hugely dubious), we might as well concentrate on 2021 already.

#277 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:22

If that’s accurate (hugely dubious), we might as well concentrate on 2021 already.

no good numbers if that is accurate.

#278 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:38

F1AT

https://www.f1analis...impression=true

https://mobile.twitt...652102651645952

Ferrari # SF1000
All aimed at the rear tapering, especially opening up more 'space' useful to use aerodynamically to generate stability behind. The big problem of 2019.
Surprises are expected in that area.
Front almost unchanged at the moment. #FUnoAT

#279 baddog

baddog

• 27,590 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:47

He was simply pointing out a fact.  Specifically, the fact that the W11's bodywork is shrink-wrapped around the rad's (side pod area and extended area behind it, transitioning to the engine cover) at a level that the SF1000's is not.

Same goes for the engine cover. 

And it's about as obvious to spot as the difference between the colors blue and orange, if you understand what to look for.

He literally said nothing about the Ferrari packaging being crude, simplistic, or outdated. 

"The packaging is good and the car looks very elegant with its smooth lines and contours, however it's package isn't really yet at the level of Mercedes"

Doesn't sound the slightest bit like what you said, he directly considers the package to be at a lower level.

Also there isn't a competition to be more 'shrink-wrapped', the intention is to achieve the best combination of resistance/reduced area with clean and/or functional air flows. This is NOT automatically achieved by fitting the bodywork to the underlying shapes, or everyone would just make a lumpy shrinkwrap round the components to reduce volume in a simplistic way.. Now whether Mercs hard sculpted edge variant of the Ferrari high-entry pods or Ferrari's smoother taper is better is not exactly proven yet is it? It could prove to be one of those clever designs that works only in some conditions, its a lot of shaping and edges after all.

Advertisement

#280 femi

femi

• 7,477 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:03

Do you guys expect to see greater than .5sec year-in-year-out gain in Hungary. Just trying to figure out why this is poor?

#281 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:36

I dont know what in Hungary means in this context (so whether they mean by Hungary or whatever) and it sounds dubious to me to take this track as the reference, but I dont expect the cars to be massively quicker than last year. The cars are heavier due to safety measures after the Hubert incident and the new fuel flow sensor, tyre pressures are going to be increased as well.

#282 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:29

I dont know what in Hungary means in this context (so whether they mean by Hungary or whatever) and it sounds dubious to me to take this track as the reference, but I dont expect the cars to be massively quicker than last year. The cars are heavier due to safety measures after the Hubert incident and the new fuel flow sensor, tyre pressures are going to be increased as well.

Ferrari was more than half a second slower in the race in Hungary and also more than half a second slower in Abu Dhabi (so with Singapore spec); Mercedes and RB will have also improved so if they think half a second faster than themselves is enough, good luck to them.

edit: I think they say Hungary because it’s a high DF track and maybe they simulated that race with the Singapore spec and the current spec and they compared the results.

Edited by ferrarista, 16 February 2020 - 11:31.

#283 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:35

Also wondering what surprises we will see at the rear, but knowing Ferrari it will be some small fin which will make the car 0,001 sec faster.

Edited by ferrarista, 16 February 2020 - 12:02.

#284 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:16

baddog, I've just seen the above quote from you and would have answered your points directly, however zibby pretty much covered everything.

#285 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:24

I’m no aerodinamicist at all, but I think most of the cooling of the Ferrari is in the sidepods, whereas for RB and Mercedes is also in the airbox, in fact the fin on the engine cover looks quite bigger on the Ferrari than Mercedes for instance (and would also benefit the CoG I think). I don’t know how much this counts about the airflow towards the rear of the car and if it counts in deciding who better packaged the car at the rear.

Said this, I still don’t think this car will be able to challenge the Mercedes, but in a few weeks we will know.

Yes, the engine cover (area behind and slightly below the roll hoop intake) is smaller on the Ferrari, it is very well package and looks like an evolution of the 2019 car, which was also very small in this area.  I think there are two reasons for this:

1) Lack of cooling rads.  The Mercedes has larger (more) cooling rads placed in that area.

2) Variable inlet system.  Ferrari has a very well packaged, narrow system (It would be interesting to see/learn more about their design, while the Mercedes' system is notably wider.

#286 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:36

"The packaging is good and the car looks very elegant with its smooth lines and contours, however it's package isn't really yet at the level of Mercedes"

Doesn't sound the slightest bit like what you said, he directly considers the package to be at a lower level.

Also there isn't a competition to be more 'shrink-wrapped', the intention is to achieve the best combination of resistance/reduced area with clean and/or functional air flows. This is NOT automatically achieved by fitting the bodywork to the underlying shapes, or everyone would just make a lumpy shrinkwrap round the components to reduce volume in a simplistic way.. Now whether Mercs hard sculpted edge variant of the Ferrari high-entry pods or Ferrari's smoother taper is better is not exactly proven yet is it? It could prove to be one of those clever designs that works only in some conditions, its a lot of shaping and edges after all.

That was a typo on my part.  The bolded "package" should have been 'packaging'.

You wrote "Also there isn't a competition to be more 'shrink-wrapped', the intention is to achieve the best combination of resistance/reduced area with clean and/or functional air flows."

No-one mentioned a shrink-wrapping competition.  There're other cars out there such as the McLaren, which features smooth flowing lines, yet is more bulky than the Ferrari, also Merc haven't merely shrink-wrapped in a simplistic way (NOTE: the Merc engine cover & sidepod update, that appear on the car late in testing last year, gave it a significant boost in performance).  No one is in a position to judge the relative aero performance of the various designs, it is easier however to compare volume reduction strategies.  Whether and how those strategies translate into relative performance advantages/disadvantages is another topic few if any are qualified to answer.

Edited by OO7, 16 February 2020 - 12:48.

#287 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,877 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 14:33

I don't know what you are seeing but from the pictures we've got so far, to me it looks like the Ferrari has an even slimmer coke bottle than the Merc. It looks like a big black hole back there of the Ferrari's rear end. Merc's is good too, but the Ferrari's look notably slimmer.

#288 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,445 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 15:05

Without having exact dimensions it is very very difficult to judge the packaging from outside especially when you are doing so between Ferrari and Mercedes. No i am not saying you cannot differentiate between a badly packaged car or a well packaged car just that when both the cars are so well packaged it becomes incredibly challenging to point out the differences from outside.

What is equally important is the internal airflow which is not visible from outside. It is a compromise between how tight you want to go on the engine cover and internal airflow on the other side. Last season Mercedes by their own  admission have come out and said as to how they got the cooling requirements wrong and to suggest Mercedes had the best compromise when it comes to packaging would not be correct.

Mercedes' advantage over Ferrari was not so much because of packaging benefits rather tiny advantages arriving from a myriad of small areas both mechanical and aerodynamic combining to give Mercedes the sort of advantage they had last season. I again reiterate i am not underplaying the importance of packaging just that when it comes to teams which finished 1 and 2 in the constructors the difference in packaging is not as big as it is made out to be.

Every team has an unique aero philosophy. Two teams can generate similar amount of downforce by taking different aero philosophies. I know it's boring or predictable to say we won't know who has the better car till we are a few races in to the season but that is true especially when the regulations are stable and we are comparing Ferrari and Mercedes. In F1 you cannot have the apple and eat it too. Downforce comes with drag penalty. Tigher packaging hampers internal airflow and cooling. Mercedes have an evolutionary car so do Ferrari so naturally Mercedes will be the favorites having won the championship so comprehensively.

Sticky Tyres mask some of the minor aero issues on a single lap but the aero imbalances and lack of grip get exacerbated over a race stint. This is where Mercedes had the advantage last season. By having a sound mechanical package  for their aero to perform predictably and consistently. Ferrari don't need as much outright pace as much as they need consistency which will come from having a sorted out suspension and aero balance. I am not downplaying the total downforce levels but in this era of Pirelli tyres the teams are no where near extracting the maximum performance from the car over a race distance.

For midfield teams which lag so far behind the top three gaining downforce makes the biggest difference but that is for another thread.

Edited by Quickshifter, 16 February 2020 - 15:07.

#289 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 19:18

I don't know what you are seeing but from the pictures we've got so far, to me it looks like the Ferrari has an even slimmer coke bottle than the Merc. It looks like a big black hole back there of the Ferrari's rear end. Merc's is good too, but the Ferrari's look notably slimmer.

I disagree.  Not meaning to spam this Ferrari thread with Mercedes images for the sake of it, but he following pictures from last years W10 may help with the comparison:

1r9CsK3.jpg

Ryfmf9G.jpg

D_dkIfuXoAAFXUv.jpg

racefansdotnet-20190725-181646-7.jpg

racefansdotnet-20190727-130130-10.jpg

231bf46b-b3db-491f-bc2f-d16da9ac9e24.jpg

764854f3-9be6-4396-a143-d199ac50b2e7.jpg

#290 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 19:36

Without having exact dimensions it is very very difficult to judge the packaging from outside especially when you are doing so between Ferrari and Mercedes. No i am not saying you cannot differentiate between a badly packaged car or a well packaged car just that when both the cars are so well packaged it becomes incredibly challenging to point out the differences from outside.

What is equally important is the internal airflow which is not visible from outside. It is a compromise between how tight you want to go on the engine cover and internal airflow on the other side. Last season Mercedes by their own  admission have come out and said as to how they got the cooling requirements wrong and to suggest Mercedes had the best compromise when it comes to packaging would not be correct.

Mercedes' advantage over Ferrari was not so much because of packaging benefits rather tiny advantages arriving from a myriad of small areas both mechanical and aerodynamic combining to give Mercedes the sort of advantage they had last season. I again reiterate i am not underplaying the importance of packaging just that when it comes to teams which finished 1 and 2 in the constructors the difference in packaging is not as big as it is made out to be.

Every team has an unique aero philosophy. Two teams can generate similar amount of downforce by taking different aero philosophies. I know it's boring or predictable to say we won't know who has the better car till we are a few races in to the season but that is true especially when the regulations are stable and we are comparing Ferrari and Mercedes. In F1 you cannot have the apple and eat it too. Downforce comes with drag penalty. Tigher packaging hampers internal airflow and cooling. Mercedes have an evolutionary car so do Ferrari so naturally Mercedes will be the favorites having won the championship so comprehensively.

Sticky Tyres mask some of the minor aero issues on a single lap but the aero imbalances and lack of grip get exacerbated over a race stint. This is where Mercedes had the advantage last season. By having a sound mechanical package  for their aero to perform predictably and consistently. Ferrari don't need as much outright pace as much as they need consistency which will come from having a sorted out suspension and aero balance. I am not downplaying the total downforce levels but in this era of Pirelli tyres the teams are no where near extracting the maximum performance from the car over a race distance.

For midfield teams which lag so far behind the top three gaining downforce makes the biggest difference but that is for another thread.

Mercedes' cooling errors from last year have been corrected (according to them) with the W11, yet it's even more tightly packaged that the W10.  The W10 despite it's cooling deficiencies, was still the best car overall last year, even with the cooling upgrades being non-optimal, the car was still the most tightly packaged.

The W10 produced a great deal of downforce in large part because of the tight over-cut packaging.  I think Allison mentioned last year, that the side-pod upgrade introduced at the final test yielded a very large gain in performance.

Finally I think the point is being missed, the question isn't about aero performance or cooling performance as there is no way of judging this, it's simply a case of visually assess which car has the smallest bodywork.

Edited by OO7, 16 February 2020 - 20:22.

#291 Massa

Massa

• 7,618 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:07

I disagree. Not meaning to spam this Ferrari thread with Mercedes images for the sake of it, but he following pictures from last years W10 may help with the comparison:

1r9CsK3.jpg
Ryfmf9G.jpg
D_dkIfuXoAAFXUv.jpg
racefansdotnet-20190725-181646-7.jpg
racefansdotnet-20190727-130130-10.jpg
231bf46b-b3db-491f-bc2f-d16da9ac9e24.jpg
764854f3-9be6-4396-a143-d199ac50b2e7.jpg

Then you pay attention at the wheelbase and the size of the airbox..

#292 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 1,801 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:12

Amazing how some technical 'gurus' here, can have statements like Ferrari lacks the proper package, etc, just by looking at a picture. 

#293 Hela

Hela

• 649 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:14

Amazing how some technical 'gurus' here, can have statements like Ferrari lacks the proper package, etc, just by looking at a picture.

I don't think anyone claimed Ferrari lacked the proper packaging

#294 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,671 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:26

Incredible, isn't it? I'm amazed half of this forum isn't working for these teams, given there amazing eyeball 'knowledge'.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 17 February 2020 - 09:35.

#295 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:35

I just want to say how glad I am that we've got a fundamentally different front wing to Mercedes and Red Bull. The Singapore update wasn't massive but it transformed the car (at least in qualifying) from then onwards without having much, if any, impact on drag. If these updates are as substantial as the team are claiming, we should see a big boost to aerodynamic performance and tyre wear, whilst still having a USP with the front wing. 

#296 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,440 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:20

This is something that cough my eye and also Scarbs commented on:

Craig Scarborough
@ScarbsTech
Feb 11

Unusual/unfinished bodylines around the top of the nose (#5 area). Future development?

EQhQDzdXsAEPxKD.jpg

Judging by the unusually crude finishes around the area of the nose where the number is, I think its a safe bet to conclude that we are gonna see a substantial change coming the tests in Barcelona.

Edited by Unicast, 17 February 2020 - 10:34.

#297 nemanja

nemanja

• 1,231 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:02

racefansdotnet-20200211-185726-3.jpg

Packaging is just fine...

#298 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,209 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:06

This is something that cough my eye and also Scarbs commented on:

Craig Scarborough
@ScarbsTech
Feb 11

Unusual/unfinished bodylines around the top of the nose (#5 area). Future development?

Judging by the unusually crude finishes around the area of the nose where the number is, I think its a safe bet to conclude that we are gonna see a substantial change coming the tests in Barcelona.

Should be just the glossy patch around the number.

https://twitter.com/...322260198957057

#299 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 13:26

Then you pay attention at the wheelbase and the size of the airbox..

I agree that Ferrari's upper bodywork (the airbox region and sides of the engine cover) is more compact.  The wheelbase has little to do with it, when you compare front of side-pod to rear face of the engine volume.

Edited by OO7, 17 February 2020 - 13:39.

Advertisement

#300 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 13:27

Packaging is just fine...

The packaging is a big improvement over the SF90.