The 2020 IndyCar season hasn't even started yet?
Well, that doesn't mean contracts aren't ending, drivers aren't maneuvering for better rides, and pundits aren't looking to what is really not that distant a future. Heck, even reporter, podcaster, and man-about-town Marshall Pruett has already fielded questions on his podcast about this very topic.
So, what do we know?
What do we think we know?
And what are we willing to shamelessly speculate about, knowledge-be-damned?
1. Will Power. According to MP, those footsteps he hears are Scott McLaughlin's. If the kid shows well, and Power doesn't regain his championship-challenging form, speculation has it that he may be gently guided to the door.
2. James Hinchcliffe. Cut too late to really search for a ride this year, Hinch has a new sponsor and plenty of time on his hands to pursue something better.
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay. While his contract ends at the end of the year, RHR has good relations with his sponsor and is thought to be on the verge of re-upping with Andretti.
4. Tony Kanaan. 2020 is his farewell tour. On a recent MP podcast he expressed an interest to continue in IndyCar, either Indy-only or picking selected races.
5. Zach Veach. His Gainbridge sponsorship has kept him afloat thus far, but reportedly only runs through 2020. What about 2021?
6. Simon Pagenaud. The McLaren interest allegedly persists, due to his experience, talent for offering constructive feedback to the engineers, and friendship with Gil de Ferran. If one of the kids falters at AMSP, might it make Simon an offer he could not refuse?
7. Takuma Sato. He'll be 44 when the 2021 season begins. Will RLL start to look at the future?
8. Marco Andretti. Reportedly back at driving school. Will another poor season send him to the car owner's box full-time in 2021?
9. Dalton Kellett. Foyt loves the $$$ he brings. Will his performances justify keeping the funding coming?
10. Sebastien Bourdais. See Hinch, absent the new sponsor. Or will that situation improve over the course of this year?
Stay tuned. Time will tell. Other sporting cliches . . .
Let the games begin!
Edited by red stick, 11 February 2020 - 17:19.