* * * * * 3 votes

(Technical Thread) McLaren MCL35

• Please log in to reply
558 replies to this topic

#51 Anuity

Anuity

• 375 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:03

the livery looked so much better last year. 

This looks like a downgrade. Still nice though.

Advertisement

#52 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 3,006 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:04

Looks great, very optimistic

#53 ar1

ar1

• 214 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:04

Big space on the side of the airbox for a massive Coca Cola / Amazon logo ;)

#54 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,924 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:08

They made it look uglier in the stream than what it really is.

Edited by kosmos, 13 February 2020 - 14:08.

#55 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,377 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:09

I think it is part of the design. Sidepod cut underneath it massively. They are going to different route than RB. Their sidepod is also not like old RB style,like 2019.

I dont think it makes much sense to go for that route unless they are already thinking about 2021 and the massive diffusor that is going to be placed there, then it could be a very smart move

#56 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 497 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:12

2020_MCL35_CS55_Side_BAT_1_NEW_HILTON.jp

2020_Launch_Car_4_BAT_3Q_v1_Website.jpg

Urgh. No....Last years was beautiful this years is a bit underwhelming. Ah well, as long as it's fast I don't really care what it looks like.

#57 CL16

CL16

• 1,258 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:15

Why not put carbon under the halo, makes it look so much slimmer like what Merc does

#58 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:15

As long its fast its beautiful, but pretty boring i have to say, i like the livery better this year though if i have to say something positive :-)

#59 vee10

vee10

• 208 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:18

Whats with all the black on the lower half these days? Just paint the whole car!

Advertisement

#60 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 358 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:19

I like it - a lot.

Those side pods disappear... but confused why the top section above the side pods as it goes back are so big? Maybe Mclaren have found a silver bullet. 

#61 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,770 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:19

Really like the look of this car. Orange Halo is much better, its now more integral/hidden. I had guessed the sidepods would be blue to incorporate BAT's increased presence. 

Don't really pay any attention to the armchair speculation that it's aero looks too simple. A school of thought is that simplification is the zenith of design. 

Certainly the rear bodywork top surface is different, I am sure they can/will experiment and develop versions of that. 

Other teams seem to copy a lot of McLaren ideas so I'm not remotely pessimistic at this stage. 

Let's see what the stopwatch says in Barcelona.

Excited.

#62 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,770 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:20

Whats with all the black on the lower half these days? Just paint the whole car!

It's a nonsensical yet habitual attempt to hide aero solutions. 

#63 argiriano

argiriano

• 1,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:21

Front suspension is very intriguing. Sidepods are so much tighter... I am sure that bardgeboards and sidepod wing asembly will be updated during the testing because these are MCL34 ones, front wing maybe too will get some updates. 

MCL-01.jpg

#64 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 11,051 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:23

Interesting looking car. I also prefer the livery from last year but I guess it is easier to see the sponsors with this one. I prefer painted Halo's but I personally think the car would look nicer with a blue halo.

Why not one blue and one orange. Easier to distinguish drivers

Less paint = less weight.

#65 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:24

Seems really plain from the air intakes to the rear. Very underdeveloped. Maybe just for launch but not very tight in packaging for engine cover and the bardge area seems a bit simplistic.

So all the preseason talk from them held true, super safe, seems less worked on then others have been doing. Hope they come to week 2 testing with far more interesting engine cover and barge area.

Matte... not again some doing it.

Just another blah safe livery.

Edited by Paco, 13 February 2020 - 14:25.

#66 CPR

CPR

• 5,249 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:29

I remember last year McLaren released some renderings which were more basic than the launch car. I've been stuck in some meetings so I've no had time to compare the renderings vs the actual launch car. In the renderings, the rear looks about the same as last year (post launch) but the side pods are way more undercut. Gone back to a simpler nose which is interesting - following Merc perhaps? I couldn't see any changes on the renderings for the front suspension. No S-duct still, as far as I could see.

I'll go over the actual shown car more later and we'll also have to see if things change during testing and the race - there's probably more latitude to do that this year due to stable regs.

Paint job looks fine to me, particularly from the side. From the front it seems a bit plain but main thing is how it will actually look on the track. Seems quite bold overall though and should stand out quite nicely I think.

S5H18RP.jpg

Edited by CPR, 13 February 2020 - 14:33.

#67 slvraro

slvraro

• 43 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:32

IIRC McLaren is the third team to go with matte paint.  I come from a triathlon/timetrial background and the rule of thumb is skin is slow as it is too slippery for the air to hold on to.  Could the use of matte paint be for aero purposes?

Excited to see how we do in Melbourne!

#68 bogi

bogi

• 3,998 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:33

Mirrors are also from 2019 (updated version around Spain or Canada), that means almost everything aero related attachable to the chassis is from the old car.

#69 SarbaV

SarbaV

• 322 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:34

Front suspension is very intriguing. Sidepods are so much tighter... I am sure that bardgeboards and sidepod wing asembly will be updated during the testing because these are MCL34 ones, front wing maybe too will get some updates.

MCL-01.jpg

Oh boy! those sides looks the tightest I've ever seen.

#70 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 6,017 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:36

That orange halo

*BARF*

Those side pods are tiny though. Wish the rear end was, as well. 

#71 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:39

That orange halo

*BARF*

Those side pods are tiny though. Wish the rear end was, as well.

Exactly. The rear just like they forgot to work on it.

#72 TTM0TION

TTM0TION

• 60 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:39

New side pods are definitely intriguing. The back end is just a bit strange as has been mentioned a few times. Is it possible that some of this is testing theories for the all important 2021 design language? Kind of a let’s not hurt our 2020 but explore 2021 changes best we can?

#73 SarbaV

SarbaV

• 322 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:40

I remember last year McLaren released some renderings which were more basic than the launch car. I've been stuck in some meetings so I've no had time to compare the renderings vs the actual launch car. In the renderings, the rear looks about the same as last year (post launch) but the side pods are way more undercut. Gone back to a simpler nose which is interesting - following Merc perhaps? I couldn't see any changes on the renderings for the front suspension. No S-duct still, as far as I could see.

I'll go over the actual shown car more later and we'll also have to see if things change during testing and the race - there's probably more latitude to do that this year due to stable regs.

Paint job looks fine to me, particularly from the side. From the front it seems a bit plain but main thing is how it will actually look on the track. Seems quite bold overall though and should stand out quite nicely I think.

S5H18RP.jpg

The high clearance hole for front top wishbone shows the pick up point must be very deep from the chassis. Are they aiming for lower camber change ?

#74 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:41

Very surprised they went with a different front wing concept to inboard after the success the my had last year. Based on the rest of car, seems they may be struggling to get it work well. Plus, seems pretty flat and not much rake so not sure if they going to gain a lot of df with inwash wing falt car with flat rear engine cover..maybe they found something but I guess that’s why their goal was to hold course vs moving up..

I was hoping McLaren would close up but seems best like they said is to hold course and I just don’t think they will unfortunately..

For me, they were going to be one of the 3 teams I was really interesting in seeing along with what happens at Williams this year and RB Max vs Lewis. Unfortunately... may have to change that up and see what happens with Ferrari vs Lewis..

Edited by Paco, 13 February 2020 - 14:51.

#75 aray

aray

• 4,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:45

Very surprised they went with a different front wing concept to inboard after the success the my had last year. Based on the rest of car, seems they may be struggling to get it work well.

I was hoping McLaren would close up but seems best like they said is to hold course and I just don’t think they will unfortunately..

For me, they were going to be one of the 3 teams I was really interesting in seeing along with what happens at Williams this year and RB Max vs Lewis. Unfortunately... may have to change that up and see what happens with Ferrari vs Lewis..

Eh?! They changed to present front wing concept at Barcelona GP last year.

Edited by aray, 13 February 2020 - 14:45.

#76 BertoC

BertoC

• 660 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:46

At first view I like it, but last year livery was better and classier. But if the car is fast it will naturally grow on me.

#77 CPR

CPR

• 5,249 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:46

The high clearance hole for front top wishbone shows the pick up point must be very deep from the chassis. Are they aiming for lower camber change ?

You mean the way that it cuts into the top of the chassis? (ie you can see a small black triangle on top). That beam also seems slightly kinked.

Here's a view of the actual physical launch car:
EQqTaKsWAAAnlho.jpg

Nice little video here:
https://twitter.com/...954307166855168

#78 bogi

bogi

• 3,998 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:47

Very surprised they went with a different front wing concept to inboard after the success the my had last year. Based on the rest of car, seems they may be struggling to get it work well.

It's a 2019 launch spec wing, they didn't show 2020 aero yet.

#79 TTM0TION

TTM0TION

• 60 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:47

Why are you counting RB and Max out and Ferrari in? Isn’t the early rumor that Ferrari can’t sort their new increased rake theory and are worried for an unstable car? I, trying to find the article but I read that last week, I’m sure rumor but it came from a Ferrari site so it wasn’t blind hatred.

Advertisement

#80 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:51

It's a 2019 launch spec wing, they didn't show 2020 aero yet.

Hop3 so, hope they have a few surprises planned for the test days. Don’t see why, a few days won’t mean much but hey..

Edited by Paco, 13 February 2020 - 14:52.

#81 pup

pup

• 1,531 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 14:59

The livery is a bit meh - not awful but certainly not as good as last years.  The black stripe between the blue and orange really ruins the combination for me.  I think it would have been a lot better looking with the orange blending into the blue rather than black.  And I liked the predominantly blue rear end last year - not a fan of just a big orange stripe running front to back.  Halo should be black.  And the flat paint - god I hate that.

The car itself - new nose is interesting. I'm really surprised there's no S-duct - I thought for sure that Key would have brought that philosophy with him.  I guess we'll have to wait for testing to see the rest.

I'm surprised that they gave us such a clear shot of the diffuser.  

#82 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 358 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:18

So, I've had a bit more time to look at it now. A few things I'm taking away, and actually seems really positive.

The front nose seems a bit slimmer to my eyes, kinda like the new Red Bull. Those side pods are amazing, really like how compact it is. Looks top heavy at the back, but not if thats a trick of the eye or if Mclaren have found an idea perhaps. Rear suspension looks very tight aswell, so thats a good sign for aero in my book. I'm intrigued by the air box, wonder why we have 4 inlets now? Car has obviously been shown with the '34 front wing and barge board areas, so we'll probably see some more at testing next week.

Under the nose, there seems to be some development there... not really sure as I can't seem to get a good angle on it, but like someone else said, its almost venturi like.

But yeah, seems to tick the right boxes and hopefully it'll be a nice step forwards. Looking forward to testing, although as we all now, Qually in Melbourne will be the real test of where we stand. 

#83 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:18

The livery is a bit meh - not awful but certainly not as good as last years. The black stripe between the blue and orange really ruins the combination for me. I think it would have been a lot better looking with the orange blending into the blue rather than black. And I liked the predominantly blue rear end last year - not a fan of just a big orange stripe running front to back. Halo should be black. And the flat paint - god I hate that.

The car itself - new nose is interesting. I'm really surprised there's no S-duct - I thought for sure that Key would have brought that philosophy with him. I guess we'll have to wait for testing to see the rest.

I'm surprised that they gave us such a clear shot of the diffuser.

Yup on livery.

Their must be an s duct, just hidden somehow. Would be odd to lose that df over top the nose section.

Diffuser only works as a package, all this bull cloak and dagger stuff for 1 week before testing is nonsense. No team will gain an advantage seeing the real car 1 week before testing. It would takes weeks and weeks or months for a team to even try and copy something to work on their own aero concept.

Edited by Paco, 13 February 2020 - 15:52.

#84 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:23

Why are you counting RB and Max out and Ferrari in? Isn’t the early rumor that Ferrari can’t sort their new increased rake theory and are worried for an unstable car? I, trying to find the article but I read that last week, I’m sure rumor but it came from a Ferrari site so it wasn’t blind hatred.

Subbing interest in McLaren to Ferrari and Vs Lewis. Im still very interested in what Max and Newey can do out of the gate. Was hoping McLaren would have taken another step forward but this car just seems way underdeveloped and flat. Conservative as McLaren were hinting at, to hold station and they’ve done that by looks of it or will fall back if TR or RP go aggressive.

Edited by Paco, 13 February 2020 - 15:35.

#85 sdg

sdg

• 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:29

Sidepods are a huge step forward!

#86 BertoC

BertoC

• 660 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:36

Yup on livery.

Their must be an s duct, just hidden somehow. Would be odd to lose that df over top the nose section.

Mclaren hasn't had an s-duct since 2017.

#87 Amz964

Amz964

• 412 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:41

Looks very interesting from a packaging point of view them sidepods are tiny. It looks like a very tidy car however the livery is a bit meh to me, I thought the livery last year was spot on this not so much.

#88 Owen

Owen

• 13,014 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:41

Definitely a more aggressive car. What a day it’s been !

#89 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 6,017 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:44

Yes, I'll add the obligatory: Hate the livery, but don't care if it's fast

#90 lixlax

lixlax

• 232 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:47

With so many armchair experts disliking the car gives me a lot of confidence for some reason.

And lets not forget that lots if not most of the aero parts are probably just "launch spec". I quite like the livery as well, would like to see it under daylight though.

#91 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:48

Likes the livery, think the car look very conservative, but hope its lightning fast, who want a kate moss when you can have a latina prejudicely speaking :-)

Edited by f1rules, 13 February 2020 - 15:50.

#92 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,214 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:49

Matte in orange? Thats a sin! You don't do Matte in bright colours. We saw how gorgeous Mclarens paint job was in night races. Why did they ruin a good thing?  

Edited by Sunnny, 13 February 2020 - 15:50.

#93 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:49

For sure bargeboard, turning vanes etc will be updated, maybe a new floor

With so many armchair experts disliking the car gives me a lot of confidence for some reason.
And lets not forget that lots if not most of the aero parts are probably just "launch spec". I quite like the livery as well, would like to see it under daylight though.

#94 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 358 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:56

Matte in orange? Thats a sin! You don't do Matte in bright colours. We saw how gorgeous Mclarens paint job was in night races. Why did they ruin a good thing?  

Performance. 

#95 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 358 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:56

Definitely a more aggressive car. What a day it’s been !

Can you say any more now Owen?

Obviously being there, you've seen it up close... anything we can't see in the pics or might have missed? 

#96 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 6,017 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:59

Renault's matte yellow looks fantastic. But I agree, it doesn't look the best in orange. But if it makes the car quicker, I'm okay with it. 

#97 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,770 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:03

Subbing interest in McLaren to Ferrari and Vs Lewis. Im still very interested in what Max and Newey can do out of the gate. Was hoping McLaren would have taken another step forward but this car just seems way underdeveloped and flat. Conservative as McLaren were hinting at, to hold station and they’ve done that by looks of it or will fall back if TR or RP go aggressive.

Let me get this straight, you are already so certain of McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari's performance based on some photos that you have already decided what aspects you will/won't be interested in this season? Wow... I used to think the testing threads were funny...! 

#98 RekF1

RekF1

• 551 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:08

Best of luck to McLaren, their team and their fans deserve a good season.

#99 TheMessiah

TheMessiah

• 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:10

I don't know why people get so hung up on seeing the new car launches. I'm more interested on what rolls out of the garage during the pre-season test. Even then no one actually knows what will turn up in Melbourne. 

Advertisement

#100 New Britain

New Britain

• 2,452 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:20

And lets not forget that lots if not most of the aero parts are probably just "launch spec".

Indeed. Let's hope that Gary Anderson thinks it will be awful!