• 21,578 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:31

It looks... long.

Advertisement

#102 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:32

I don't know why people get so hung up on seeing the new car launches. I'm more interested on what rolls out of the garage during the pre-season test. Even then no one actually knows what will turn up in Melbourne.

Same. The car we see and gets photographed 100s of times and analysed is not going to have any of their new toys and secretive ideas present.

The launch in reality is just a livery launch, given how mich the car will change when it arrives at testing, and again in Aus.

Edited by JavierDeVivre, 13 February 2020 - 17:28.

#103 JeePee

JeePee

• 3,199 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:34

Am I the only one who thinks the sidepods aren't THAT skinny? Especially at the front. The Ferrari and RB16 impressed me more at that point.

#104 LightningMcQueen

LightningMcQueen

• 193 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:34

Very nice, paint job looks a bit weird from some angles.. I’m guessing the fat comments earlier were a joke.. it’s incredibly slim

#105 maximilian

maximilian

• 5,096 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:42

Is it just me who hates the ridiculously LOOOOOOONG wheelbase?  I mean, seriously.... it's like that Goooooooooogle logo on the bottom of search results.  

Wouldn't these cars look so much better if they were shorter?

EQq35hcWkAI7CIM.jpg

#106 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:42

Let me get this straight, you are already so certain of McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari's performance based on some photos that you have already decided what aspects you will/won't be interested in this season? Wow... I used to think the testing threads were funny...!

You can see details that are pushed and details that seem lacking... of course no one knows but with all the worrybin their pressers like going to be tight competition, not ready to be top 3, hoping to keep what we had.. then launch what appears a lack of obvious detail.. yeah.

#107 statman

statman

• 5,044 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:43

It looks... long.

Ha! Was my first thought as well. Why is this car so long?!

But I guess it's because the horizontal lines that makes it look longer.

#108 Paco

Paco

• 3,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:45

Same. The car we see and gets photographed 100s of times and analysed us not going to have any of their new toys and secretive ideas present.

The launch in reality is just a livery launch, given how mich the car will change when it arrives at testing, and again in Aus.

Cloak and dagger,,,,, why? 1 week won’t give anyone else an advantage and really you can’t bolt on what someone else has done to your car without huge time in cfd and wind tunnel. Considering all teams already doubling their designs for this and next year.. it would have to be a huge development to merit a team copying someone else detail from launch into their 2020 car. I don’t by it. That’s just nonsense double speak when you compare to other and see a lack of detail. No one is saying Ferrari barge area looks undeveloped. No one is saying redbull looks undeveloped..

A midfield or backmarker team has ZERO reason to do that, Mercedes Ferrari RB .... a very loose maybe but even then, all three use different power unit so not as if someone can copy their packaging idea behind the cockpit area so realistically would minor stuff they’d hide.. no a engine cover, barge area etc. Maybe a diffuser idea, maybe a wing idea or nose but to integrate anything but a rear wing or rear diffuser idea I don’t see how it is meaningful to hide at launch.

Edited by Paco, 13 February 2020 - 16:51.

#109 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,096 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:59

Reality check. Nobody in the team realistically thinks they can challenge the top 3, that is just fan hype.

Their team have stated quite clearly their goal is simply to reduce the gap to the top 3, as well as cementing 4th.

We will find out soon enough but I’m confident they can achieve that.

#110 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:02

I really liked the livery and I think matte finish choice proves that they are looking for every little bit performance improvement here and there. Launch spec aero package is certainly from the last year and we will only be able to see the real thing in Australia. There are some clever development going on inside the car and suspension system. Sidepods and rear end of the car look much slimmer compared to MCL34, but it's not as tight as SF1000 but very similar to RB16.

I believe in this team and we'll have better season than the last one!

Edited by Mc_Silver, 13 February 2020 - 17:36.

#111 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:02

I quite liked the blue triangle livery from last year. This is a bit more boring.

Either way, hoping the team can get a bit closer to the front this year.

#112 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,396 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:05

Like the livery although it’s a bit more corporate. I would presume the spare spaces on the engine cover and on the endplates will be filled soon

#113 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:06

Welp, other than going matte, which I love, that's a step backward in terms of livery, imho.

Is it just me who hates the ridiculously LOOOOOOONG wheelbase?  I mean, seriously.... it's like that Goooooooooogle logo on the bottom of search results.  

EQq35hcWkAI7CIM.jpg

Yeah, looks huge, like the Mercs have been. Hope that's not where the similarities stop...

Edited by AustinF1, 13 February 2020 - 17:08.

#114 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 2,411 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:09

There's a reaction article on Formula1.com by Mark Hughes, and unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems to suggest that the geometry of the front wheels to the sidepods was an issue for McLaren last year as well, not just 2018? 

'The 2019 McLaren MCL34 was compromised by having too short a distance between the front axle and sidepods.'

#115 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,479 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:10

Car looks fast, but this livery is not the best in McLaren history.

Interesting parts as a tight engine cover and both little sidepods.

I will be in Barca to see where we are.

#116 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:14

God damn matte paint. I want to murder whoever invented it. It has no place on this earth, let alone an F1 car.

Disagree completely. I love it.

#117 Christophe77

Christophe77

• 894 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:26

Where's the Unilever branding???

#118 thegobetween

thegobetween

• 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:27

Was expecting some form of Unilever branding.

#119 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,377 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:32

IIRC McLaren is the third team to go with matte paint.  I come from a triathlon/timetrial background and the rule of thumb is skin is slow as it is too slippery for the air to hold on to.  Could the use of matte paint be for aero purposes?

Excited to see how we do in Melbourne!

Probably it's about weight? Matte paint probably weighs less than metalic, or regular paint.
F1 teams try to get any little advantage out of anything these days

Advertisement

#120 CPR

CPR

• 5,249 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:34

There's a reaction article on Formula1.com by Mark Hughes, and unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems to suggest that the geometry of the front wheels to the sidepods was an issue for McLaren last year as well, not just 2018? 

'The 2019 McLaren MCL34 was compromised by having too short a distance between the front axle and sidepods.'

https://www.formula1...WdNn3zxD02.html

Seems the article was edited but still contains a typo:

McLaren regained competitive respectability last season after a woeful 2018. It was all part of clawing back the losses incurred by the late-notice change of engine from Honda to Renault for 2019 – so how does their 2020 MCL35 build on last year's success?

Change to Renault first happened in 2018 not 2019 of course.

#121 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:36

IIRC McLaren is the third team to go with matte paint.  I come from a triathlon/timetrial background and the rule of thumb is skin is slow as it is too slippery for the air to hold on to.  Could the use of matte paint be for aero purposes?

Excited to see how we do in Melbourne!

I feel like there's some butchering of the aerodynamics going on there.

#122 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,380 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:39

If I’ve learnt anything at all, it’s that this is quite clearly the 9th fastest car.

#123 Anja

Anja

• 4,655 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:40

Not just you, I hate it with sincere passion. And the worst part is, there's literally no reason why they couldn't fix it with a simple rule. 2021 shortens the maximum wheelbase but only by a tiny bit from what we have now. With how much room there's left behind the driver the designers could easily package everything in much shorter space if they had to. 

Edited by Anja, 13 February 2020 - 17:42.

#124 Hamm

Hamm

• 453 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:40

Key
https://www.motorspo...-mcl35/4684763/

#125 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:45

If I’ve learnt anything at all, it’s that this is quite clearly the 9th fastest car.

lol

#126 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,445 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:47

Even to an untrained eye there are so many parts on the car, like the front wing and the bargeboard area which is the same from 2019 so clearly this is far from the version will see in Barcelona. What i am excited about is the fact that the whole car appears to have gone on a diet. The Sidepods appear to have shrunken significantly. The car had a lot of strenghts but a few glaring weaknesses as well. Aerodynamically the car will naturally change from preseason to Melbourne and we haven't even seen the Preseason spec aero yet. I am happy with the way the car looks but i am not too fussed about the looks anyways.

Weight is something midfield teams struggle massively in these regulations and top teams can employ ballast strategically. Packaging is another area where top teams excel. Also mechanically the top teams have a solid mechanical template upon which the aero can perform. I have no idea about the weight but matte paint and those shrunken sidepods suggest Mclaren have made some gains. also packaging appears to have improved. Every team on the grid will bring new bits, be it front wings, bargeboards, engine covers and rear wings but what won't change is the packaging and mechanical underpinnings. This is where i feel Mclaren have made the biggest gains especially with Key's arrival. 

Cannot wait for preseason testing to start. The whole midfield will get closer to the top three and i think Mclaren will be favorites to head that midfield.

Edited by Quickshifter, 13 February 2020 - 17:47.

#127 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,365 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:47

Very very very long. I like the car though, think it is a nice looking car and I love the rear. Can't say much more than that.

#128 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:52

Not just you, I hate it with sincere passion. And the worst part is, there's literally no reason why they couldn't fix it with a simple rule. 2021 shortens the maximum wheelbase but only by a tiny bit from what we have now. With how much room there's left behind the driver the designers could easily package everything in much shorter space if they had to. 

I don't get the hate for it. It makes virtually no difference.

#129 pup

pup

• 1,531 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:53

Where's the Unilever branding???

Hilton is missing, too.  And of course Coca-Cola

#130 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:53

It seems MCL35 will run with more rake than its predecessor.

#131 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,759 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:56

Hilton is still on the racesuits on the collar

#132 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,759 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:57

Come on, have some ambition, this is clearly a step forward for McLaren and thus it is an 8th place car by Autosport's rigourous standards...

#133 Sonic2k

Sonic2k

• 146 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 17:59

Hilton is on the drivers overalls though

#134 CPR

CPR

• 5,249 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:02

Lots of interesting comments there. Seems the various weird stuff we saw the team run in FP last year were more about testing a range of concepts rather than specific solutions.

Looks like they tried to figure out what the top 3 have that the rest of the field don't. Or rather, how they achieve that and can McLaren replicate it, even in part.

#135 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:03

If you look into the details McLaren has made some important conceptual changes across the car. James Key said the car will incorporate new technologies in its suspension systems. Suspensions are key for vehicle dynamics and for aerodynamics to work as intended. Rest assured, we will see many developments in the bargebod area, floor, sidepods, and diffuser. They have a solid base to work with.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 13 February 2020 - 18:09.

#136 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,023 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:04

There are some elements that McLaren had introduced them previously but removed them after couple of races for whatever reason but those elements are back in addition to the package they have been racing for most of the recent times. Interesting!

The livery is nice but not as beautiful as 2018 one.

Wishing the best for McLaren and fans!

#137 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,759 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:14

If you look into the details McLaren has made some important conceptual changes across the car. James Key said the car will incorporate new technologies in its suspension systems. Suspensions are key for vehicle dynamics and for aerodynamics to work as intended. Rest assured, we will see many developments in the bargebod area, floor, sidepods, and diffuser. They have a solid base to work with.

I think that its how the top teams run their suspension that is the main differentiator at the moment. We've seen that most of the grid infact is capable of turning an impressive single lap time, and whilst certainly the works teams have better optimisation and software on the engine side, I think the big difference comes from the suspension, and this is why we see the top cars stretch out large leads to the midfield over a race distance. They can't consistently do the lap times the top cars can do without going through more of the tyre...

#138 CPR

CPR

• 5,249 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:16

It seems MCL35 will run with more rake than its predecessor.

744aeec4f54d64fc6f68156ce7e41567.jpg

Yep. Seems to be closer to previous years...

#139 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:20

yeah i have high hopes in this exact comment, key will know first hand what made the rb so good, they where always good mechanical so reading this suggest they catched up on technology they clearly lacked in, lets hope so!

Advertisement

#140 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:21

agree

I think that its how the top teams run their suspension that is the main differentiator at the moment. We've seen that most of the grid infact is capable of turning an impressive single lap time, and whilst certainly the works teams have better optimisation and software on the engine side, I think the big difference comes from the suspension, and this is why we see the top cars stretch out large leads to the midfield over a race distance. They can't consistently do the lap times the top cars can do without going through more of the tyre...

#141 vlado

vlado

• 321 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:26

But Ferrari’s suspensions have been mediocre and they still manage to be in the top 3. The front suspension on the SF1000 looks like from a decade ago compared to this beauty.

#142 thegobetween

thegobetween

• 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:27

Hilton are on RW end plates on launch car.

McLarens logo placement is always a bit odd

#143 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 2,075 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:28

Is it me or the car don't seem any longer than last season's?

Livery wise has deteriorated certainly but car looks interesting enough to me aero wise

#144 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 6,017 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:30

UNLOCK!

#145 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:33

Is it me or the car don't seem any longer than last season's?

Livery wise has deteriorated certainly but car looks interesting enough to me aero wise

Yep. I think it looks a bit shorter than last year.

#146 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,385 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:35

But Ferrari’s suspensions have been mediocre and they still manage to be in the top 3. The front suspension on the SF1000 looks like from a decade ago compared to this beauty.

Mercedes and Red Bull are the leading teams in this regard but Ferrari is not far off. Other teams are further behind and McLaren tries really hard to catch up with the top teams. They have closed the gap with them in terms of packaging for sure!

#147 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 2,075 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:39

Let's see what James Key is made up of this year. I was mostly right for last year's Mclaren predictions, I will predict that this year they will further cement 4th and close the gap to the front a little more. :)

Remember Mclaren was the first team that came up with the boomerang barge board areas where many thought were illegal and now everyone copies it. The sidepods looks way slimmer at the back and also a lot of undercut as compared to the previous car. Interesting that have gone opposite to what they previously did with sidepods. James Key's Toro Rosso love a very big undercut sidepods. 

#148 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,467 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:49

and Petrobras and Unilever and and...where are the claimed new sponsors (apart from Spunk) Is that an energy drink?

#149 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:50

they said themselfes they had much focus on for this year, ferrari suffered with mclaren last year from a weak frontend, ferrari chose to go a more traditional route probably to give the suspension the best posible working conditions through optimum geometry, mclaren on the other hand seem to try and solve through using new technology, because theirs if anything is even more aggressive, so we will se which works better, i hope the mclaren will feature pou when the testing starts because that has its very obvious advantages and ferrari adopted with an agressive solution again probably to make the frontend stronger

Edited by f1rules, 13 February 2020 - 18:53.

#150 Mat13

Mat13

• 1,800 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 18:51

All F1 cars are ugly now 😢 like the liver though!