Photo

Nice article from Australian Broadcasting on old tracks in OZ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 14:03

I found this by accident but its nice to see the  mainstream media dong things like this. It may be old stuff to many here 

https://www.abc.net....2?section=sport

Advertisement

#2 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,012 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:39

I thought it very light and not particularly well researched - confusing or conflating race tracks and speedways. Came across as a bit lazy. 

BRM

#3 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:48

Country speedways are dropping like flies. Tolmer at Bordertown has been propped up by the Jenkins for some years.

Generally a nice little track. I have ran there several times. Very sad to see it go.

As for Broken Hill? Either that is another one because they are still running a limited number of meets this year

SA Speedway is in the doldrums. Speedway Park/City is for sale and this is the second season it has been closes.

Murray Bridge is doing ok but not great,

Sunline at Waikerie probably would not be running without the efforts of Rob  [Wacker] Stevens who is dieing of cancer! But is to busy to die!!

Whyalla is really struggling to get cars to run a decent show. And is offering decent money to win. Geoff Brown is chasing his tail too I feel.

Even Mt Gambier, a very well credentailed track is struggling to get cars as well as people through the gate. And keep getting rained out with bigger shows. Been there and done that! A very few people working too hard, without them the place is very suss.

As for Cooper Pedy I have never know of one there. Not under Speedway Australia.

Oh and the Bend is NOT a speedway,, a roadrace, kart and drift track.

As a classic competitor I have ran at all of those speedways and know all the main people who have or do run them.

And I have heard this about numerous tracks Oz wide

#4 Beggysmalls

Beggysmalls

• 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:53

Yeah the sa speedway scene does appear to be struggling at the moment, it feels like the loss of Speedway City has really hurt the other tracks over there. The problem speedway has is the crazy number of classes which dilute fields and racing. The costs have hurt too, its no longer just about throwing a roll cage in an old banger and going racing.

I do still think the sport is strong in a number of places and areas and its not all doom amd gloom. Events like the classic at warnambool show that over 100 cars and they had to close the gates to specatators on the sunday show that it can be done well.

My biggest frustration is that speedway is the perfect model for tv, short sharp races with breaks in between, only need a few cameras needed to capture all the action but everytime its been brought to tv its been done in a poor way.