13 replies to this topic

#1 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 19:22

This...

revasfvaewtbr.png

...popping up all the time is extremely annoying and intrusive, especially given that I'm a subscriber and I have the privilege of no ads in general.

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:48

I agree about the annoying/intrusive bit and the particular annoyance that it advertises something that is only defined (if I understand it correctly) in the smallest print of the pop-up and the price is not stated.

#3 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:40

Infuriating. When you pay for a subscription, you expect to get straight in to what you've paid for, not be treated as fodder for marketing "product." Oh, and this particular one popped up while posting this, covering what I was typing.

Come on Autosport, try to understand what a customer is.

#4 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 18:49

Same here, but don't hold your breath if you expect a fix.... or even an acknowledgement. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rob Ryder, 21 February 2020 - 18:49.

#5 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 14:58

Shitty, shitty practices. They've also started tracking your mouse movements, meaning those overlays (technically they are not pop-ups) will pop-up as your move your mouse to close the tab or window urging you to stay in the website for a few more seconds for more ad revenue. I've already stopped visiting Autosport/Motorsport because of this assault and I was hoping they would at least leave the forum alone, but it seems like they don't care about it one bit. So sad. Browsing the internet has become a serious burden. I now have to click one or two overlays on virtually every website before seeing the actual content even on those services I pay for. Ad revenue-based business model is infuriating and invasive even including for those who are willing to pay for subscription. They ask for you to subscribe in lieu of seeing ads, but they never stop asking. At some point I'll say, why the **** am I paying for all those monthly subscriptions if I still have to use AD blockers.

#6 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 17:21

And now they're saying classic.autosport will soon be closed which means good-bye from me, as far as digital Autosport is concerned. Their "modern" site is messy in the extreme and I simply will not bother. So all that's left is to see how long the print issue can struggle on.

#7 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 19:33

If the web-based edition is any guide - not long.

Just had a thought... when Classic goes I will save myself £38 per year.

Hang on... can I still get FORIX stand-alone?

Edited by Rob Ryder, 28 February 2020 - 19:35.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:37

Interestingly I haven’t seen it since I made that OP. Good job Autosport. Someone’s listening. Thanks.

#9 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 13:32

Interestingly I haven’t seen it since I made that OP. Good job Autosport. Someone’s listening. Thanks.

Strangely, I just came in here to say it's blotting out my screen every ten to fifteen minutes, and I reckon I've now seen this ad fifty to a hundred times in total. I'm waiting for someone from Autosport to ask what my "customer experience" is.

#10 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 15:12

Strangely, I just came in here to say it's blotting out my screen every ten to fifteen minutes, and I reckon I've now seen this ad fifty to a hundred times in total. I'm waiting for someone from Autosport to ask what my "customer experience" is.

I've never seen it.

#11 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 20:28

I've never seen it.

It's probably down to different browsers, or possibly their settings. I use Firefox in its now-standard 'Private Browsing' mode which blocks most pop-ups and hides most adverts, yet Autosport have found some way to make this pop up bypass the protections. Possibly other browsers block this one but let others through. In any event, it's absolutely infuriating. I'm not going to a GP this year and to be bombarded with a pointless ad that obscures everything else on the screen, dozens of times, inspires an ambition to commit unspeakable acts.

#12 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,493 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 21:11

Only happens on the Home Screen and I am not a subscriber. Unlike other sites that ask you to whitelist them this is manageable.  Though can appreciate the annoyance if you are a subscriber.

#13 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 21:15

Only happens on the Home Screen and I am not a subscriber. Unlike other sites that ask you to whitelist them this is manageable.  Though can appreciate the annoyance if you are a subscriber.

Just happened on this screen, while I was reading your post...

Edited by Sterzo, 02 March 2020 - 21:15.

#14 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,493 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 21:35

I don't doubt that, for me using Firefox 73, Adblock and Direct Me my only experience of that ad is on the home screen. Sorry, I should have been more specific.