Photo

F1 1989-99 chassis registry

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 matherto

matherto

• 28 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 16:09

I'm sure I posted this a long while back when I first made the spreadsheet but I figured I could post it now and see if anyone can help me.

Does anyone know of where the cars from this era are?

https://docs.google....RFGo/edit#gid=0

The spaces for each chassis correspond to what I roughly know about how many of each were made. Some of them only have two but that's because they raced with two cars and they must've made more but I can't find out for sure, some have the chassis numbers filled out but the information tied to them is innaccurate and based on guesswork.

I wanted to keep track of where each chassis was in it's current form, not to out private collections or details but just because it's the era I grew up with. I was born in 1990 but 1989 was when the atmospheric era started so I included it.

95% of all the information on the sheet is gleaned from the internet with the rest coming from conversations with lots of helpful people along the way including a few on here in other threads about specific cars of which I'm very grateful for. The internet information includes simply where certain cars are on display in museums and so on without any idea of which specific chassis number it is so it could be that I have seen multiple images of the same chassis in different places which I need to sort out.

I know there will be plenty of people on here with vast knowledge of where the cars ended up or maybe even own a few/have access to them so I'll repeat that I don't want any private details being shared but if the knowledge is available and I can add it to my sheet then I'd massively appreciate the help. Obviously if anyone spots anything on there that shouldn't be public knowledge then tell me and I'll remove it.

I've been informed by a few that a lot of the details are out of date so editing them for accuracy would be a big help too.

Also, anybody with the Autocourse books over this period, could you help me fill out which driver drove which chassis for each race? I know they have chassis logs for the different races but as of right now I'm not in a position to buy them myself to find that information out.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that could help. The 90's are an overlooked period for historic racing in all forms (touring cars, GT cars, rally cars, etc) cause they're in that awkward period with needing old laptops and getting more complicated to run so they're very expensive. It'd be nice to help in some way to keep the cars in the public sphere.

Cheers all.

Edited by matherto, 21 February 2020 - 16:10.

Advertisement

#2 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 343 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 18:22

Thanks for sharing your database.

Here you can peruse the 89 to 92 Autocourses (legally). Just select the 'Archive' in the upper-right corner of the website to select the different issues.

http://edition.pages...35-f12950a92d69

#3 matherto

matherto

• 28 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 23:22

Here you can peruse the 89 to 92 Autocourses (legally). Just select the 'Archive' in the upper-right corner of the website to select the different issues.

Thank you for this link! Really appreciate it.  :up:

#4 blackmme

blackmme

• 990 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:06

Holy Moly!  Thank You!

regards Mike

#5 toolish

toolish

• 165 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 21:43

The McLaren MP4/8 shown at Bologna is clearly a fake car.

#6 matherto

matherto

• 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:15

The McLaren MP4/8 shown at Bologna is clearly a fake car.

How can you tell?

What should I be looking out for?

#7 toolish

toolish

• 165 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:26

It's fairly obvious to me, just compare the back end of the sidepod to the real one. Same with the airbox.

#8 AJB

AJB

• 242 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:23

Not all cars in museums are what they claim to be. I saw photos of the
1966 Ford GT40 MkII P/1046 in an American Museum, claiming it had been there since winning at Le Mans. It was actually still being raced by Ford in 1967.