#1 Fred.R

Fred.R

• 101 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 23:54

https://www.graysonl...ce-car?spr=true

up for auction 

is there any information on this car ?

from the auction description

• Comment: (Bruce Mclaren) Tribute This stunning race car has had a very interesting & distinguished career, In the 1960’s when in its original Cooper-Climax T53 F1 configuration it was raced by Sir Jack Brabham & Sir John Surtees, When the car was damaged in 1966 it was converted to a Sports car with a more powerful V8 Ford motor.This classic race car then made its way down under & enjoyed many race wins around the country including W.A. The car was fully restored in 2007 & raced again this time in Victoria, P.I., Wakefield, Winton, and at the Grand Prix meeting at Albert Park. The car comes with all the correct paperwork, cams logbook & COD , it still retains it GT40 transaxle (rebuilt) & Koni adjustable suspension & the Dry sumped 351 motor . It is the definition of a true classic race car with international Race history

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 23:57

SIR John Surtees. Now that's a surprise.

#3 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:11

If some of the description is taken at face value then this sounds like a more recent incarnation based on the ex Bib Stillwell/Don O'Sullivan Cooper Climax T53 that the later driver bent at 1966 Warwick Farm Tasman meeting. It was then the basis of the Jaime Gard built Cooper-Ford sports car for O'Sullivan. But I'm unfamiliar with the car as offered by graysonline, but others probably are.

As with so many race cars, the Cooper re-appeared as a T53 and went to auction with Christies at Pebble Beach Equestion Centre in August 2000. The photo in the catalogue looking nothing like the car Stillwell raced.

Hopefully the likes of Terry Walker and fellow West Aussies might see this thread and comment.

Stephen

#4 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 114 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:06

The O'Sullivan Cooper Ford was later substantially developed by Stan Starcevich and became known as the Graduate and it did get a later, Can-Am style body. But I believe that car is still involved in historics, and still known as the Graduate, so wouldn't have McLaren written all over it. Also curious about that very low price

#5 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:22

The conversion was done in Western Australia for Don O'Sullivan, as a Cooper Ford; not overseas; sold to Stan Starcevich, who raced at is the SS111; was revised, became "The Graduate", much later reconfigured with a McLaren style body.

That is, if it's the same car. The history might be confusing two cars. Or just muddled.

As my now fading memory goes, the Cooper Ford it was not actually a straight conversion of an existing car, but a new tube frame and a lot of spare Cooper Climax parts to build, essentially, a new car with V8 and Cooper Knight box. Jaime Gard would know, as he probably built it, but he doesn't lurk here.

#6 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:38

Short of the Gulf colors, I'm baffled what if any of this thing is a M8F.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:13

It seems to have been offered for sale previously:

https://www.driveano...o-m8f-graduate/

http://www.my105.com...etails/id/18590

#8 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:43

Thanks, Tim.

Pretty for sure, but still don't see why one'd "M8F" a car looking more like a Mirage with a Lola T332 airbox. I'd think it of higher value if returned to its original stance when pedaled by Heroes.

All that's out the window once stomping on the pedals, obviously. The view out the helmet porthole looks just the same.

#9 barrykm

barrykm

• 807 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:48

Looks like a travesty to me

#10 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,978 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 21:28

If I were to buy it I would pay in dollar bills reconstructed from recycled pesetas with replica watermarks.