- - - - -

Offspring Racers [Merged]

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:58

Are there any more drivers come through the junior categories?

Pietro Fittipaldi (Formula 1 test driver) - grandson of Emerson Fittipaldi

Louis Delétraz (Formula 2) - son of Jean-Denis Delétraz

Mick Schumacher (Formula 2) - son of Michael Schumacher, nephew of Ralf Schumacher

Giuliano Alesi (Formula 2) - son of Jean Alesi

Lucas Auer (Super Formula) - nephew of Gerhard Berger

Harrison Newey (Super Formula) - son of Adrian Newey

Pedro Piquet (Formila 3) - son of Nelson Piquet sr., brother of Nelson Piquet jr.

Enzo Fittipaldi (Formula 4) - grandson of Emerson Fittipaldi

David Schumacher (Formula 4) - son of Ralf Schumacher, nephew of Michael Schumacher

Arthur Leclerc (Formula 4 ) - brother of Charles Leclerc

Matteo Nannini (Formula 4) - nephew of Alessandro Nannini

Eduardo Barrichello (USF2000) - son of Rubens Barrichello

Enzo Trulli (Kart) - son of Jarno Trulli

Brando Badoer (Kart) - son of Luca Badoer

Lorenzo Patrese (Kart) - son of Riccardo Patrese

Charlie Wurz (Kart) - son of Alexander Wurz

Oscar Wurz (Kart) - son of Alexander Wurz

Advertisement

#2 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 330 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:03

I want Brando Badoer to do well, that's a badass name.

Brando "Badass" Badoer fighting for F1 victories. I'm ready for that.

The sheer amount of 'sons of' appearing makes me realise I'm getting old.

#3 Beri

Beri

• 11,664 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:10

I want Brando Badoer to do well, that's a badass name.

Brando "Badass" Badoer fighting for F1 victories. I'm ready for that.

The sheer amount of 'sons of' appearing makes me realise I'm getting old.

This.. :(

#4 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 13:00

Vettels brother drives for Mercedes in a touring series

#5 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 13:01

Derek Hill, son of Phil Hill, raced in F3000.

#6 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 13:29

Sebastian Montoya is running in the OK class of the European Karting Championship this year. He was part of the Ferrari Driver Academy but I can’t see any reference to him there anymore.

#7 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 15:50

Sebastian Montoya is running in the OK class of the European Karting Championship this year. He was part of the Ferrari Driver Academy but I can’t see any reference to him there anymore.

yes, how can I forget him...

#8 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 16:20

I'm still waiting for Juju Noda to be old enough to compete in a national F4 series.

#9 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 16:27

I'm still waiting for Juju Noda to be old enough to compete in a national F4 series.

Who is he?

#10 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 16:37

She is the daughter of Hideki Noda https://en.wikipedia...iki/Hideki_Noda and will reach the age of 16 in 2022, the age required for F4 in Japan. So far, we don't really know how talented she is, although there are claims that she set unofficial lap records in the past years.

#11 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 16:43

She is the daughter of Hideki Noda https://en.wikipedia...iki/Hideki_Noda and will reach the age of 16 in 2022, the age required for F4 in Japan. So far, we don't really know how talented she is, although there are claims that she set unofficial lap records in the past years.

I hope she will be mighty talented to make it to F1 by merit.

That said, Hideki Noda seems to have quite a big Wiki entry considering his 'achievements'.

#12 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 16:56

Also, Hampus Ericsson will be racing in British Formula 3 this year (along with Manuel Maldonado, cousin of our dear Pastor)

#13 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 17:44

Sebastian Priaulx doing some GT4 stuff with Ford. Father Andy Priaulx was a test driver for Williams in '05.

#14 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 17:56

Gianni Morbidelli's son decided to be on 2 wheels meh...

#15 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,161 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 17:57

I'm not sure what Roy Nissany is doing this year, but he was in F2 last year. Son of Minardi tester Chanoch.

#16 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,161 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 17:59

Gianni Morbidelli's son decided to be on 2 wheels meh...

He's not actually related.

#17 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 18:37

Nepotism for the win.

#18 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 18:41

Does anyone think there are a few too many? On the current F1 grid we have Verstappen, Magnussen and Sainz. I'm sure all of these kids are talented, but I'd be surprised if they weren't over-represented. To be successful in junior categories often seems to be more about money and connections than talent.

#19 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 18:59

Not a fan of nepotism, so seeing all these names pop us as potential F1 stars doesn't fill me with pleasure at all.

Advertisement

#20 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 19:11

It's entertainment for the super-wealthy.

Which isn't all that new; it used to be that nobility took up racing - and if I remember correctly there's even a Habsburg somewhere in the US junior series these days, too.

They can still entertain us, regardless - but it does kind of put a damper on the mythical status of these drivers.

#21 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 1,555 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 21:07

Derek Hill, son of Phil Hill, raced in F3000.

Something like 20 years ago

#22 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 21:40

Alex Wurz boys have the same names as my two sons.

#23 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 22:27

Which isn't all that new; it used to be that nobility took up racing - and if I remember correctly there's even a Habsburg somewhere in the US junior series these days, too.

DTM. And he could make it onto this list too, in a roundabout way - he's soon to be Jerome d'Ambrosio's brother-in-law.

#24 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 23:01

Not a fan of nepotism, so seeing all these names pop us as potential F1 stars doesn't fill me with pleasure at all.

At the same time, wanting someone to not be there simply because of who they're related to, instead of based on their talant, is a rather bone headed position to take, about as un-meritocratic as giving positions to untalented family members. 

#25 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 23:02

Also, we can add Tom Blomqvist to the list, son of Stig.

#26 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 23:11

I wonder why the sons of F1 drivers are so over-represented.  Is it because having the money and the connections allows you to unlock your potential, whereas first generation drivers may run out of opportunities or suffer career setbacks before they figure things out?  Or is the talent required to adequately (but not brilliantly) pilot a race car these days so low that anyone could do it, if they just had the means to do it?

#27 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 23:15

Maybe coaching. By ex F1 drivers. Connections play part surely.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 12 April 2019 - 23:16.

#28 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 23:31

I wonder why the sons of F1 drivers are so over-represented.  Is it because having the money and the connections allows you to unlock your potential, whereas first generation drivers may run out of opportunities or suffer career setbacks before they figure things out?  Or is the talent required to adequately (but not brilliantly) pilot a race car these days so low that anyone could do it, if they just had the means to do it?

Yes.

#29 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:12

At the same time, wanting someone to not be there simply because of who they're related to, instead of based on their talant, is a rather bone headed position to take, about as un-meritocratic as giving positions to untalented family members. 

No need for a strawman here. I didn't say that none of these guys deserve a chance, but the sheer amount of ex F1 driver-offspring is making people slightly suspicious as to whether the next generation of drivers is really going to be the best of the best or simply the best of the privileged ones.

Edited by GoldenColt, 13 April 2019 - 05:13.

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:42

No need for a strawman here. I didn't say that none of these guys deserve a chance, but the sheer amount of ex F1 driver-offspring is making people slightly suspicious as to whether the next generation of drivers is really going to be the best of the best or simply the best of the privileged ones.

They’ve always been the best of the privileged ones.

#31 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 879 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:19

A few others are floating around.

Jarett Andretti (Mario's great nephew, Aldo's grandson and John's son) will make his Indy Lights debut this season.

Jack Brabham has a couple of grandsons racing although they seem to have branched off into other areas of motorsport, so not strictly junior series. Matthew (Geoff's son) won the American Super Stadium Truck championship in 2018. He previously had done a couple of odd races in Formula E and Indycar. Sam (David's son) seemed to fall off the junior ladder after Formula 4 and the last I can find of him was a couple of races in the British Porsche Supercup last year.

The interesting thing about Sam Brabham is not only that he is Jack's grandson and David's son, but that his mother is the sister of Mike Thackwell (who was at one point the youngest driver to race in F1). Are there any others that have former drivers on both sides of their family?

#32 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:25

They’ve always been the best of the privileged ones.

Are you saying there have been no F1 drivers from low income working class backgrounds in the past?

#33 Victor

Victor

• 1,006 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:30

Like it or not sport auto is for rich people who have the money to invest in machinery and good teams. Ex-F1 drivers tend to be rich. They also have the right contacts as well as the driving expertise to teach their children. It is only natural that we end up having quite a few F1 drivers sons around. However, talent usually prevails and the untalented are quickly filtered out. 

#34 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 879 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:51

Another factor favouring relatives of former drivers is that a known surname is going to attract media attention, which is obviously going to appeal to sponsors.

#35 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:33

Oh yes, of course. She could really make it to Formula 1. I think IF we get a woman in Formula 1, it will be Noda.

#36 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:34

Also, Hampus Ericsson will be racing in British Formula 3 this year (along with Manuel Maldonado, cousin of our dear Pastor)

Thank's for that two. I really forgot about British Formula 3 :stoned:

#37 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:35

Does anyone think there are a few too many?

I think the main reason for that - beside money and connections - is: Drivers related to former drivers get interested in Racing very soon in their childhood. Of course Karting is something many children like but most professional drivers started Racing at the age about 4-7. What children do that if they have no Racing parents?

As long as they are fast – I like families in Racing. They live for Racing.

#38 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:36

Alex Wurz boys have the same names as my two sons.

Hello Alex :lol:

#39 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:36

DTM. And he could make it onto this list too, in a roundabout way - he's soon to be Jerome d'Ambrosio's brother-in-law.

Any details? So D'Ambrosio will marry Ferdinand's sister? What sister? Never heard of that story...

Advertisement

#40 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:40

Jarett Andretti (Mario's great nephew, Aldo's grandson and John's son) will make his Indy Lights debut this season.

That's a very nice story. I really hope he will make it to the Indy 500 one day...

#41 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:43

Are there any others that have former drivers on both sides of their family?

Yes a lot. Best known is Max Verstappen. His mother Sophie Kumpen was also a very very fast Racing driver.

But I don't think there is one driver with both sides of the family Racing in Formula 1.

#42 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 14:39

Yes a lot. Best known is Max Verstappen. His mother Sophie Kumpen was also a very very fast Racing driver.

But I don't think there is one driver with both sides of the family Racing in Formula 1.

I tend to say that Max got his temper from his dad, and his talent from his mum.

#43 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 16:30

Any details? So D'Ambrosio will marry Ferdinand's sister? What sister? Never heard of that story...

This sister.

#44 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 17:07

This sister.

Who is also the cousin of GT racer and Minardi two-seater F1 driver Jamie Campbell-Walter.

#45 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 21:11

As racing gets safer, it's logical that more sons, nephews, daughters and nieces will take up the sport. It does make me feel old that Trulli's offspring is now racing. Riccardo Patrese must have been a dad quite late in life if Lorenzo is his son. I really hope to see the Patrese name in top motorsport again.

#46 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 21:29

Its nothing to do with nepotism but more to do with money and long term career planning. These kids had been groomed from a very young age to follow their dads footsteps. No different from the child of a doctor or actor following their parents footsteps. However, that is not always a guarantee they will make it.  I assure you many of these ex drivers have other children who were not good enough to make it in racing. The ones you see racing were the ones good enough. No team is going to pick a useless driver unless they pretty much own or buy the seat. 

#47 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,079 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 21:32

It does make me feel old that Trulli's offspring is now racing.

Pah, you young people. As posted elsewhere, I saw Graham Hill before he reached F1, then Damon ditto, then Josh who didn't make it. Next?

#48 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:03

Thank you.

#49 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:03

As racing gets safer, it's logical that more sons, nephews, daughters and nieces will take up the sport. It does make me feel old that Trulli's offspring is now racing. Riccardo Patrese must have been a dad quite late in life if Lorenzo is his son. I really hope to see the Patrese name in top motorsport again.

Patrese's first so was born just before his first F1 race...

#50 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 15:41

Sebastian Montoya testet for Prema (Italian Formula 4):

https://www.italiara...l-top/239966/79