* * - - - 1 votes

2020 Australian GP build up thread [update: race cancelled]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1033 replies to this topic

#1 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,019 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 13:59

Oh, it's race week again? This off-season was over in a hurry!

New Safety and Medical cars celebrating 70 years of F1.

yOZPRWb.jpg

Cargo...

cyJ3bKU.jpg

More cargo...

JGoRGMj.jpg

Ferrari made it here!

pl9Jitw.jpg

Romain is excited!

YLr8j7v.jpg

The recent virus scare has taken my mind off F1 a bit, not gonna lie. And F1 is in no way immune to the virus, so it's probably going to be a constant talking point. But maybe we can forget about it for a while when the lights go out and away we go? The season is on, let's enjoy what we can! :clap: :clap: :clap:

https://whenisf1on.com/

Advertisement

#2 f12018

f12018

• 55 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 14:23

Lets hope the race  is so good we forget the  cornavirus and the bloody  Ferrari engine debacle 

Edited by f12018, 09 March 2020 - 14:24.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 14:28

Yeah, let's hope for a brief oasis of not thinking about the important stuff. I'm looking forward to, in this order:

• The nice yellow lines they use at the edge of the track
  • Racing Points getting among the front two rows of the grid
  • George Russell getting to compete with someone other than his teammate at Williams

#4 Claymore25

Claymore25

• 722 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 14:34

Lets hope the race  is so good we forget the  cornavirus and the bloody  Ferrari engine debacle 

Yes, please.

#5 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 1,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 14:35

ESLja-Xw-XYAAor-Qw.jpg

#6 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 14:55

Expecting Mercedes to be quickest, Red Bull look better prepared than ever but they've never really lived up to any hype in recent years, Ferrari I expect to be right there with Red Bull despite the supposed multitude of issues they have.

Front of the midfield will be interesting, expecting RP to be right up there, but certainly not quick enough to concern RB/Ferrari though. McLaren and Renault are still big question marks as to whether they can challenge the Pink Mercedes from the get-go.

#7 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:16

Weather forecast?

#8 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:19

Weather forecast?

Friday - very warm (28c), rain forecast afternoon/evening - might hit FP2

Saturday - very mild (16c), no rain
Sunday - very mild (18c), no rain

(In truth there's a tiny, tiny rain threat on Sat/Sun, but nothing worth anticipating)

Edited by TomNokoe, 09 March 2020 - 15:28.

#9 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,368 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:22

Other than eventualities, this should be a Mercedes washout with Verstappen P3. Ferrari's performance is something that I am looking for.

#10 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,590 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:25

Here we go again!  :D

On9WVJ5.jpg

#11 popolonx

popolonx

• 415 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:29

Ham victory is a sure thing, you wont loose that bet. Only question is how much is the non-merc driver away from Ham. It will likely be at least 40 seconds, after sandbags are off.

#12 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,598 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:35

Can't wait to see how far from the pace RB will be. Predicting around 0.6s in quali.

#13 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,484 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:37

Can't wait! Hopefully for some rain on Friday as forecasted to make the long runs a mystery.

Hopefully we'll learn more about just how much progress Red Bull and Honda have made.

#14 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:52

Ham victory is a sure thing, you wont loose that bet. Only question is how much is the non-merc driver away from Ham. It will likely be at least 40 seconds, after sandbags are off.

Ham pole is a sure thing, but victory? He's only ever won this race twice.

#15 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 1,207 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 15:55

Expecting Mercedes to be quickest, Red Bull look better prepared than ever but they've never really lived up to any hype in recent years, Ferrari I expect to be right there with Red Bull despite the supposed multitude of issues they have.

Front of the midfield will be interesting, expecting RP to be right up there, but certainly not quick enough to concern RB/Ferrari though. McLaren and Renault are still big question marks as to whether they can challenge the Pink Mercedes from the get-go.

I am not expecting that at all.

I expect red bull to be fastest (I think they have been sneaky throughout testing).

I'm basing this on my gut-feeling-ometer.

#16 geralt

geralt

• 1,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 16:00

F1 IS BACK

#17 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 18:35

Stroll in the RP20!

#18 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 18:41

Anything other than a Mercedes 1-2 or victory would help to raise my interest/excitement in this year. I'm not terribly optimistic though, and a sixth straight year of the same old sh*t is not appealing in the slightest...

Still, if it's a snoozer, at least there's the prospect that coronavirus will wipe out a good portion of the season so that even if Mercedes is still the fastest, the season won't necessarily feel like it has dragged on like the past few have.

#19 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 1,207 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 18:48

Anything other than a Mercedes 1-2 or victory would help to raise my interest/excitement in this year. I'm not terribly optimistic though, and a sixth straight year of the same old sh*t is not appealing in the slightest...

Still, if it's a snoozer, at least there's the prospect that coronavirus will wipe out a good portion of the season so that even if Mercedes is still the fastest, the season won't necessarily feel like it has dragged on like the past few have.

As ever, no one is forcing you to watch.

I believe this year will be the 7th year in a row by the way (sorry to add to your misery).

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:00

Many of us are pretty demoralized but I would say that Hamilton-Vettel-Leclerc-Verstappen are a really attractive top four. Threre's a decent chance of Racing Point springing a Williams 2014/15 like surprise and bothering some of the top three constructors. And although nothing really happens at Albert Park unless drivers start making mistakes, it's a lovely venue for a motor race.

Besides it's traditional to leave the prophecies of doom for FP1.

#21 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:05

I am stoked to see how Racing Point do .... can SP make the podium ... can he even win a race this year??!!

Edited by jjcale, 10 March 2020 - 06:36.

#22 UraNage

UraNage

• 328 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:08

this is my wishful thinking  :rolleyes:

RBR asked Mercedes and Ferrari for a PU because Renault never gave them a powerful one , they had nightmares and refused due to the fact that RBR making beast of car , last season was the first year with Honda obviously many calculations went the wrong way and the buzz out of BRB recently praising Honda 2020 PU alot and it seems they produced a stunning car for this season fixed all last season flaws and integrated the PU beautifuly  

so i actualy going to A MAX WIN in Australia  :D

#23 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,720 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:19

F1 IS BACK

Coronavirus: Hold my beer! 😜

GettyImages-1148075305.jpg

#24 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:20

I think people are expecting way too much from Racing Point. Yes, they looked strong in pre season testing, but it’s....well pre season testing. Sure they will probably easily be fourth quickest team early on, but I highly doubt we’ll see 2014/2015 esque Williams pace from them. The gap to the big three was more than a second. Even with a Mercedes clone, that’s a lot to ask to close down in a winter with stable regulations.

#25 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:29

I think people are expecting way too much from Racing Point. Yes, they looked strong in pre season testing, but it’s....well pre season testing. Sure they will probably easily be fourth quickest team early on, but I highly doubt we’ll see 2014/2015 esque Williams pace from them. The gap to the big three was more than a second. Even with a Mercedes clone, that’s a lot to ask to close down in a winter with stable regulations.

Personally I'm not even so sure about them being clearly fourth quickest. 

#26 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:48

I’m a I pumped for this season! I’ve got a feeling it will be a classic, Max vs Lewis vs Charles. McLaren resurgence. Renault on the up. Etc etc etc I just can’t wait! ****ing bring it on!!!!

#27 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:48

Racing Point have been blown up massively. Stroll will again struggle to get out of Q1.

#28 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 19:57

I expect Merc RBR and Ferrari to be fairly close in terms of pace, Merc just edging it and the other two being too close to call. I’m looking forward to seeing where McLaren, Renault and RP end up after the talking stops. I hope, dearly dearly hope, for an up turn in Williams fortunes. All in all I don’t expect a Merc romp as some seem to be predicting but I do think they’ll be the quickest team against

#29 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 20:01

There is no real build up. It's more of a "lets get this done and sneak out of the country before people realize how incredibly greedy and irresponsable we have been".

#30 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 20:01

I believe this year will be the 7th year in a row by the way (sorry to add to your misery).

:blush:  Oops - well, the years do sort of blend together when it's always the same team doing the winning....regardless, it's too many. :lol:

I am still an F1 fan, and Risil is right that there is a lot of young exciting talent at the moment - the quality of the grid is probably as high as it has ever been in that area. It's just unfortunate that we're unlikely to see them competing for the championship for a while yet, until the sport makes meaningful change which hopefully prevents anyone from dominating to this depressing extent ever again.

#31 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 20:05

So happy to see we are in RACE WEEK!

#32 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 20:13

:blush:  Oops - well, the years do sort of blend together when it's always the same team doing the winning....regardless, it's too many. :lol:

I am still an F1 fan, and Risil is right that there is a lot of young exciting talent at the moment - the quality of the grid is probably as high as it has ever been in that area. It's just unfortunate that we're unlikely to see them competing for the championship for a while yet, until the sport makes meaningful change which hopefully prevents anyone from dominating to this depressing extent ever again.

The only way to enjoy F1 at times like these* is to 100% accept it as what it is, which is a team sport. Ever since I've done it the Merc domination bothers me considerably less. I probably couldn't watch it if the individual drivers and their achievements were my main focus. 

*if you're not a Hamilton fan

Edited by Anja, 09 March 2020 - 20:15.

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 20:17

I actually think that it could be a good season, but then again who knows if there even will be a season. Feels very very odd.

#34 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 21:03

I think as a fan you should be happy to see even a race next sunday, because it could take very long to see another one judging the whole situation.

#35 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,969 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 21:33

Italy in a national quarantine lockdown from tonight...with lots of people flying into Melbourne from there.

I don’t think that you should take it for granted that the race will happen - even now.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,551 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 21:36

All the stuff is already there. No reason for it not to go ahead now.

#37 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,484 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 22:28

Fascinated to see how the Merc PU performs in Australia, especially the midfield teams who'll be running in dirty air. I guess we'll know after qualifying from the usual sources if they had their PU turned down.

#38 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 22:55

The only way to enjoy F1 at times like these* is to 100% accept it as what it is, which is a team sport. Ever since I've done it the Merc domination bothers me considerably less. I probably couldn't watch it if the individual drivers and their achievements were my main focus. 

*if you're not a Hamilton fan

I suppose when the sport itself puts so much emphasis on the drivers, compared to a genuine team sport like the NHL/NFL, I find it hard to do that - but I take your point.

I just feel there's a certain amount of inevitability about this season based on how testing went, but let's wait and see I guess. :stoned:

#39 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 00:16

Vettel to lose his marbles at Charles out qualifying him, massive dive into T1 taking out but Mercs and Ferrari's, Racing Point to win with Kimi in a shock podium 

Or not 

Advertisement

#40 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:37

Racing Point have been blown up massively. Stroll will again struggle to get out of Q1.

Same way he will again land a podium as he  did  last year but this time with a clearly faster car! ..And Perez?

#41 aray

aray

• 5,829 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:40

Expecting RB to challenge Merc in the race, Ferrari 3rd fastest, RP clear 4th( at least in the hand of Perez) and Macca and Renault fighting tooth and nail for 5th best. :wave:

Edited by aray, 10 March 2020 - 06:41.

#42 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:00

Please just not another walk in the park for Mercedes, everything else is a bonus.

#43 Planetdune

Planetdune

• 791 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:14

How many races need to be held for a WDC/WCC to be declared in the case of major cancelations? Or is one result enough..

#44 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:38

How many races need to be held for a WDC/WCC to be declared in the case of major cancelations? Or is one result enough..

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,551 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:45

Is that what the rules say or did you just pull that number out of nowhere?

#46 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 3,237 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:54

I'm looking forward to another strong season from the Silver Arrows. Toto, what is a good result in F1? "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

#47 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:03

Is that what the rules say or did you just pull that number out of nowhere?

The Sporting Regulations state that a championship has to consist of at least 8 races.

Edit

5.4 The maximum number of Events in the Championship is 22, the minimum is 8.

Though who knows whether they can bend that

Edited by Marklar, 10 March 2020 - 08:05.

#48 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,226 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:54

They could run the OZ GP with no crowds if things deteriorate badly in the next few days however Westacott and co have stated numerous times its going ahead now with the public. This below doesn't really help though being so close to the track either. What if someone who attended that hotel or market is infected and goes to the GP?? Thats not even mentioning the numerous other possible infected that might attend.

"The man visited South Melbourne Market on Friday morning and attended a function at the Albert Park Hotel later that evening."

https://7news.com.au...e-sick-c-738366

Wonder if there will be any cases from the World Cup Cricket at the MCG the other night. That was 86k ppl.

Could see alot of races for the rest of the season though being closed to the public. Even the AFL are talking about possibly happening this season. Probably the best compromise if it gets alot worse.

Edited by gowebber, 10 March 2020 - 09:09.

#49 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:12

Is it possible to keep this a fun thread ... and quarantine the COVID stuff in the isolation unit named "...effect on the season ..."??

#50 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,648 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:15

Last year he lost and was under quite some pressure from Verstappen. Very unMerc. I wonder if they could fix their PU-issues in time.