- - - - -

What should the F1 calendar be now? [Merged]

• Please log in to reply
2424 replies to this topic

#1 f12018

f12018

• 55 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 16:59

after the postponement of the first 4 races how should the calinder should look now this how I think it should

Moncao

Canada 

Azerbaijan

France

Austria

Britain

Hungury

Holland 

Belgium

Italy

Vietnam

Sinagpore 

Russia 

Japan

China

US

Mexico

Brazil

Bahrain

Abu Dhabi 

Edited by f12018, 15 March 2020 - 17:00.

Advertisement

#2 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 17:02

Here's my idea of what the new calendar will look like:

#3 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 17:32

Good opportunity to drop all races hosted by totalitarian regimes which don't respect human rights and use F1 to put lipstick on a pig (as the expression goes). I leave it to you to fill in the blanks.

#4 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 17:41

Zandvoort, Silverstone, Spa, Baku, Monza, Singapore, Suzuka, Interlagos, Adelaide. Between September and December.

#5 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 20:56

Oooh how about 

1. Brazil

2. USA

3. Mexico

4. San Marino

5. Monaco

6. Spain

7. Canada

8. France

9. Britain

10. Germany

11. Hungary

12. Belgium

13. Portugal

14. Italy

14. Japan

15. Australia

Caveat...I am not being serious.

I would hope that we can restart in time for the Dutch GP but it may not be possible until June or July. I imagine they'll try and fit some of the cancelled races into the summer break and maybe do Australia after Abu Dhabi...or move Abu Dhabi so as to fit in Australia in November ? 

But it's all guess work at present. We could be "business as usual" from May or there may be no 2020 F1 at all. 

#6 Beri

Beri

• 11,661 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 22:17

With the Netherlands officially being in lockdown for three weeks to come, I doubt if there would be time to get the organization in place for the Dutch Grand Prix at any time in May.
So I'm quite sure that if the season would start as soon as May, that Monaco is the dreamed start of the season. Between the lines, there were already comments of Liberty frantically trying to shift the Dutch Grand Prix to a summer slot. Simply because fully stacked grandstands and dunes will look good on TV in a disastrous season like this one.
Will Vietnam and Australia be able to close off the circuit perimeter once more? Money wise as well?

I sincerely think we will lose Barcelona and China as a Grand Prix this season. And the calendar will be:

Monaco

Azerbaijan

Canada

France
Austria

Britain

Hungary

Holland
Belgium
Italy

Vietnam
Singapore

Russia
Japan

USA
Mexico
Brazil

Bahrain
Abu Dhabi

Melbourne

Note:
- Races noted alone have a 2 week gap. Races combined as a 2 or 3 race group are double or triple headers
- Melbourne as a last race can only happen if Abu Dhabi plays ball and wants to give away the season finale. The likely event will be that Melbourne will not host the 2021 opening race due to this scheduling

#7 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 00:18

Zandvoort, Silverstone, Spa, Baku, Monza, Singapore, Suzuka, Interlagos, Adelaide. Between September and December.

I would add Austria and Mexico to this personally.  Dropping Singapore.

Edited by ARTGP, 16 March 2020 - 00:18.

#8 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:11

There is no way Melbourne will try to run the race again this year - too expensive to set the circuit up again before 2021...

Edited by krapmeister, 16 March 2020 - 02:12.

#9 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,118 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:21

I doubt there will be any in 2020.

#10 Talisker

Talisker

• 382 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:27

I doubt there will be any in 2020.

Yeah, me neither. It's amazing how quickly things have moved since last week. F1 just seems irrelevant now. Ditch it for this year.

#11 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:16

Here's my idea of what the new calendar will look like:

SEASON OVER

#12 Christbiscuit

Christbiscuit

• 354 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:16

Season over. When Britain, where most teams are based, is trying to “manage“ everyone getting infected and the rest of the world is trying to limit the amount of infections, it’s quite possible there will be restrictions on travel from the UK for some time.

#13 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:25

SEASON OVER

Let’s not all go from one extreme (‘Corona is just a flu, ffs let the Aus GP go ahead’) to another extreme.

Within 1 month China went from thousand(s) infections per day to 10-25.

If all countries play it well, we should up be going the right direction in 2 months. By the summer, a first GP should be possible.

My only concern is that the UK is taking a different approach than all countries around it.

Re the calendar: let it start as of July, run races in the summer break (Zandvoort plz!) and try to squeeze in the good races we missed ^^.

#14 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:32

the irony that the UK could prevent Lewis from breaking the Schumacher records lmao

#15 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,297 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:22

There will be no races with public at all this year. Perhaps no races at all (or any other big sports). I will explain:

Half the world is coming to an abrupt halt not to stop rapid spreading. Not to stop normal spreading, because that is impossible. But to stop RAPID spreading. Countries go into full lockdow. The infection clusters become more isolated and smaller after some weeks. Yet there will still be new infections, but healthcare can deal with those amounts.

It is however impossible to go from full lockdown to normal business in a couple of months. Especially in  dense populated area's. The release must be gentle and the infection/sickness rate will be more in line with the healthcare capacity.

What you do not want however, is 1 to 10 infected people at a large gathering like a footbal stadium, a concert, a F1 race, a large theather. Because from that moment on, uncontrollable infection clusters will spread again and you again need full lockdown to contain it. Once all is under control, sport should start, but without much public. A village football match can go on with the locals visiting, but you cannot allow a Champions Leaugue club to have a stadium full of people from all over the country. And that goes for any sport. This might even take the first 6 months of next year.

So I have no idea what the calender will look like. I expect the season to start in september, with 8 races in a place where you can actually race. Probably all in Europe to prevent travelling trough airports and keep the costs down for the teams.

#16 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:12

I don;t think any race will go on this year, unfortunately. The numbers are just flaring up everyday. 

#17 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,249 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 13:18

Drastic measurement that Chinese government has taken did made some work.

I hope The season can start at around July, perhaps going through summer vacation?

That is then 5 months, 15 races at most perhaps?

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 18:39

Any race?

Not of any interest to most on this thread but. ...

The 104th Indy 500 will happen....sometime this year.

63-A7-FFD5-847-B-45-B7-905-D-9-F7-E6-E7-

Jp

#19 messy

messy

• 7,497 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 21:20

I think the thing is, even if this outbreak calms down reasonably early in the year - which IF the measures taken by the various governments are adhered to and looking at what happened in China, it still should - the fallout is going to be massive. And it won’t be “over” for a long time, the fallout will be social, economic, scientific, it will affect our day to day lives for a long time to come and the governments across the world are going to have to slowly pick up the pieces all with the fear of another flare up in the back of their mind.

In terms of sport, I reckon probably, 2020 is a write-off. It probably should be. Maybe we’ll get a few individual races - the Indy 500, a couple of non-Championship Grands Prix, dunno. I’m struggling to see much more.

Edited by messy, 16 March 2020 - 21:21.

Advertisement

#20 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 21:28

the irony that the UK could prevent Lewis from breaking the Schumacher records lmao

Given his stance thus far I'm sure Lewis wont begrudge that for a second.

#21 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,249 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 23:28

Any race?

Not of any interest to most on this thread but. ...

The 104th Indy 500 will happen....sometime this year.

63-A7-FFD5-847-B-45-B7-905-D-9-F7-E6-E7-

Jp

As pressure being high, when to open ans how to open the closure is yet another issue.

could go worse if one fail.

#22 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 23:49

Callender should be a big TBD.

Obviously standalone tracks easier to deal with then road courses.

The question IMO isn’t the calendar but what is the minimum number of races that can be had to qualify it as a season, sorted out which tracks can happen irregardless of date and work out a travel plan with 2day events. I have a feeling a number like 8-11 may work depending if international travel will be allowed by summer.

Realistically, having a season is going to be tough no matter what happens as there may constant flare ups what will frighten the establishments that may control it.

Edited by Paco, 16 March 2020 - 23:57.

#23 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:15

Wild guess proposal that might work best for all parties concerned is to run a merged 20/21 season that runs maybe from September to September with 2 multi-week breaks, even if it means some venues are visited twice. Move implementation of 2021 rules to 2022. Problem comes for drivers whose contracts expire on a specific date rather than at the end of a specified racing season. They could just allow the drivers to move mid-20/21 season... wacky things happen, right? Back in the day it was commonplace for drivers to compete for multiple teams over a season. Back to normal for the 2022 season. For drivers whose contracts expire at the end of a specified season, the season will legally be known as the 2020 season, no legal 2021 season, 2022 season follows 2020 from a legal perspective. 

It can be done.

But, we have a lot to learn about this virus to see if anything from 2020 can or should be salvaged.

#24 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:32

There will be no races with public at all this year. Perhaps no races at all (or any other big sports). I will explain:

Half the world is coming to an abrupt halt not to stop rapid spreading. Not to stop normal spreading, because that is impossible. But to stop RAPID spreading. Countries go into full lockdow. The infection clusters become more isolated and smaller after some weeks. Yet there will still be new infections, but healthcare can deal with those amounts.
It is however impossible to go from full lockdown to normal business in a couple of months. Especially in dense populated area's. The release must be gentle and the infection/sickness rate will be more in line with the healthcare capacity.
What you do not want however, is 1 to 10 infected people at a large gathering like a footbal stadium, a concert, a F1 race, a large theather. Because from that moment on, uncontrollable infection clusters will spread again and you again need full lockdown to contain it. Once all is under control, sport should start, but without much public. A village football match can go on with the locals visiting, but you cannot allow a Champions Leaugue club to have a stadium full of people from all over the country. And that goes for any sport. This might even take the first 6 months of next year.

So I have no idea what the calender will look like. I expect the season to start in september, with 8 races in a place where you can actually race. Probably all in Europe to prevent travelling trough airports and keep the costs down for the teams.

Great post!

I think sport this year is unlikely (in public anyway) and have been offered China's reduction in infections as counter argument to my pessimism.

The problem with the China example is nobody knows what will happen to the infection rate once people start interacting again.

Seems likely is will rise again until enough of us have immunity.

#25 jee

jee

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:31

2020 to be cancelled, 2021 to be raced with 2020 cars, new regs 2022.

#26 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,691 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:58

Given his stance thus far I'm sure Lewis wont begrudge that for a second.

As much as I'm not a Hamilton fan and I'd love Schuey's records to stand, I agree, I don't think Hamilton would give this a second thought under the circumstances..... he seems to be pretty decent in that way.

#27 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:11

That's AMuS' suggestion

7th june = Baku
14th june = Montreal
28th june = Le Castellet
5th july = Spielberg
19th july = Silverstone
26th july = Barcelona (currently being discussed)

2th august = Budapest
23rd august = Zandvoort
30th august = Spa
6th september = Monza
20th september = Singapore
27th september = Russia
4th october = Vietnam (or 18th october)
11th october = Suzuka

25th october = Austin
1st november = Mexico
15th november = Interlagos
29th november = Bahrain
6th december = Abu Dhabi

https://www.auto-mot...ennen-182-tage/

Edited by Marklar, 17 March 2020 - 12:11.

#28 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:12

That's AMuS' suggestion

The three races we lose IMO are more valuable than some of the ones kept.

#29 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:13

The three races we lose IMO are more valuable than some of the ones kept.

Monaco (unless it's being held on it original date) and Melbourne are certainly not rescuable

#30 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:15

2020 F1 Calendar will be:

• NONE

#31 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:16

Monaco (unless it's being held on it original date) and Melbourne are certainly not rescuable

Yuuuuje shame. An end of season Australia race would have been fun.

Similarly, Bahrain at the end of the season will be awesome. So much more risk.

I wonder if moving Zandvoort and Spain to summer will affect Pirelli's tyre choices. Higher temps, etc.

#32 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:19

Seriously, they should just do 20 races at Paul Ricard. Should be fairly easy to isolate that place for only F1-related people (Own airport, pretty remote, boring location in general).

Oh, and the gazillion different layouts could be utilized as well.

Brilliant masterplan.

#33 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:36

Seriously, they should just do 20 races at Paul Ricard. Should be fairly easy to isolate that place for only F1-related people (Own airport, pretty remote, boring location in general).

Oh, and the gazillion different layouts could be utilized as well.

Brilliant masterplan.

Just have everyone turn up at the site, then surround it by military and ensure that everyone (including the crowd) stays there for at least a month. They can drop supplies in by helicopter.

#34 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:42

Just have everyone turn up at the site, then surround it by military and ensure that everyone (including the crowd) stays there for at least a month. They can drop supplies in by helicopter.

No need for a helo-drop since the airport is right next to the track.

#35 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:56

No need for a helo-drop since the airport is right next to the track.

Well, only if people wear bio suits and any planes are thoroughly disinfected.

#36 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,289 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 14:56

Everything is just speculation but I find it hard to see how this season can get started, lets just say a Country rids itself of this virus (and ignoring any 2nd waves etc) most countries on the calendar will have been brought to their knees financially and psychologically (lets presume some age groups have to be isolated for months) so they will have to bail companies out, deal with mass unemployment and financial hardship of the people, restock hospitals, give emergency service staff time off to recover from all the time they spent at work and then put on an F1 race??

Euro 2020 might start before the next F1 race…

#37 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 15:11

Jennie Gow
@JennieGow
·
11 Min.
Multiple sources tell me #F1 summer break to take place over next 6 weeks (from March 23rd - end of April). Teams able to select 3 weeks within that time to shut down. Paves the way for wall to wall racing when #COVID2019 is sorted. Some race team members v angry about this.

#38 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,289 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 15:43

Jennie Gow
@JennieGow
·
11 Min.
Multiple sources tell me #F1 summer break to take place over next 6 weeks (from March 23rd - end of April). Teams able to select 3 weeks within that time to shut down. Paves the way for wall to wall racing when #COVID2019 is sorted. Some race team members v angry about this.

So Liberty have learnt **** all from last weekend... we are now in a "summer break" in a European sport when the weather is freezing, you cant get on a plane and go anywhere some of the F1 people aren't back with their families from the weekend fiasco in Melbourne and this idiot is getting excited about wall to wall racing, who comes up with this? When your organisation gets left behind by FIFA, UEFA, RFL, and the British Horse Racing Authority you know you are truly backwards thinking!

The FIA should use the time without Motorsport to have a serious think about who runs their events and if this corona virus kills some of the commercial rights holders and broadcasters off it might pave the way to a better sport. 

#39 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 15:46

Teams and team members don't have a choice, Williams and Haas financial problems could be the end of their programs, they need the money and more races means more money. To me giving up the summer break is the least thing they can do.

Advertisement

#40 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 16:16

Cheers. That’s exactly it wiith rock concerts every weekend. Baby birth boom from all the boredom so we should have it in Italy several races so their population has a growth rate again after years of decline.

Edited by Paco, 17 March 2020 - 16:17.

#41 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 19:13

http://gptoday.com/f...y_summer_break/

Apparenly F1 is aiming for.a season start at the end April now? Seems a bit optimistic to me, with loads of other major sports still cancelling events which are scheduled at the end of May (Roland Garros) and even June (European Championhips, Copa America).

#42 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 19:42

Jennie Gow
@JennieGow
·
11 Min.

Summer break before the season has started! Only in F1!

#43 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 19:58

Jennie Gow
@JennieGow
·
11 Min.

That is so F1.

#44 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,799 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 20:03

Jennie Gow
@JennieGow
·
11 Min.

Can understand the anger. It's a bit cheap to force the race team to take their vacation time under these world circumstances.  When you can't even travel, let alone go outside in somewhere like Italy.

Edited by ARTGP, 17 March 2020 - 20:03.

#45 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 20:31

Can understand the anger. It's a bit cheap to force the race team to take their vacation time under these world circumstances.  When you can't even travel, let alone go outside in somewhere like Italy.

I think they are just crunching the numbers and trying to figure out how, in theory, they could possibly get it to work. I think, in practice, it won't. This is all just fantasy (probably to try to instil confidence in the market and prop up the share price).

#46 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,826 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 17:41

Rajah Penske and Humpy Wheeler have some decisions to make...:-(

#47 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,968 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 18:01

Indy 500 will be cancelled, or at the very least postponed for several months. Has to be, with 400,000+ people in one place.

and Monaco has not been postponed, it is 100% cancelled; takes two months to build circuit, and they do not pay FOM.
They are toast for this year.

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 18:02

IMS says they WILL run the race sometime this year so....

We shall see.

Jp

#49 Barty

Barty

• 2,094 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 18:03

Monaco CANCELLED: :cry:

https://twitter.com/...694835830390784

#50 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 18:21

At least one good thing coming out of this then. That borefest in Monaco cancelled.