• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 22:13

YXw5C1U.jpg
1998! Zinedine Zidane has lifted the World Cup. Crisis roils the financial markets of East Asia. The Spice Girls are touring the United States. Jacques Villeneuve is having a miserable time defending his world championship for drivers. Grand Prix racing is clearly turning into something like big business, but most teams are still being underwritten by cigarette companies, state-of-the-art track facilities mean “not a tent” and the whole circus is still run from within Bernie Ecclestone’s still-quite-slate-haired head.

Narrow cars!
0z690ue.jpg
Grooved tyres!
Michael-Schumacher-Ferrari-F300-Italian-
Jos Verstappen!
1998-Jos_Stewart-16-22b.jpg
 Whatever these are!
2d777c9c2f862f3b731f6d2fdab1b429.jpg
Come the weekend of 27 September, F1 has been in the fairly novel position of having Ferrari and McLaren slug it out all season, and the teams have arrived at the Nurburgring (not in Luxembourg, but sort of close) with a championship battle critically poised between the pre-eminent Michael Schumacher and the experienced but until-recently-underappreciated Mika Hakkinen. Or to put it another way, between Jean Todt and Ron Dennis. Or Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey. Or Goodyear and Bridgestone. It’s been a binary sort of year. But the point is that with two rounds to go, Schumacher and Hakkinen are both on 80 points, with six wins apiece and the McLaren driver’s two second places breaking the tie.

A midseason of barely believable twists and turns elevated what had been a close but attritional season into a contest of inspiration, cunning, grit and all the other virtues of athletic competition. But after losing a probable one-two to mechanical gremlins and Ferrari pressure last time out at Monza, McLaren are mulling the prospect of their first championship since the days of Ayrton Senna slipping through their fingers. Momentum is shifting to Ferrari and Michael Schumacher, who have escaped the mediocrity that has haunted their mid-1990s and look towards their first championship since, er, Jody Scheckter. It’s a tense time!

Here's a spotter's guide, of sorts, to refresh your memory:

f1a65b7f59a6b6e2e8226034b159ac5e.jpg
What else is going on? Ferrari and McLaren second-stringers David Coulthard and Eddie Irvine are contending for third place in the championship, although with two rounds to go Coulthard’s ten-point advantage and generally better form should be decisive. Their performances are likely to help decide the constructors’ championship, where McLaren currently lead Ferrari by 10 points. The battle for third-best team is rarely a glamorous one but it is extremely close, with Williams, Benetton and Jordan only separated by a couple of points. Williams have been the more consistent, as you might expect from the team that dominated the last two championships, but Jordan have scored points in the last six races having scored none in the previous eight, getting the majority of its haul with a 1-2 amid the carnage at the Belgian Grand Prix. So there’s much to be resolved in the battle behind the top two.

Also, who knows, maybe Eddie Irvine will win?

Let’s stay close to the hole where F1 used to be and get the video underway at 2pm GMT on Sunday 22 March. I’ll post a Youtube link closer to the event. No spoilers please!

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:01

Two races to go and the two top drivers tied on points. Imagine that? With Ferrari's recent momentum I think Michael has this in the bag. He needs redemption after what happened last year, the swine. Mika's quick and all but I just don't see him being ready to take the fight to Schumi yet.

Wasn't it incredible seeing Jordan's turn around this season? Damon's win at Spa made me so happy. I guess I'm getting used to the narrow cars on grooved tyres, but I hope we'll go back to slicks one day. Maybe some radical aerodynamic rule changes would be needed? I hope Williams can bounce back a bit too. Isn't Zanardi joining them next year? Can't wait for that. The way he's dominated CART this year he'll be another Jacques Villeneuve. Bold prediction: Alex in the top 3 of the championship next year. I don't think Eddie Irvine will ever win a Grand Prix as long as he's at Ferrari with Schumacher.

I get that there's a lot of interest in F1 in Germany right now, but isn't it a shame that there aren't enough circuits able to host F1 that we have to visit some countries more than once to get a 16 race season?

What a shame Formula 1 98 on the Playstation turned out to be a big pile of poo. At least you can change the names on F1 97.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:16

I feel confident in saying that Stewart definitely won't win.

#4 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:59

I feel confident that Stewart will win next year at one race. They are on the rise. With Verstappen clearly bagging one seat next season.

Did you hear that Verstappens kid will be celebrating his first birthday Wednesday after this race?

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,247 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:11

Mika finishing the last race with no brakes was unreal, but can he cope with the pressure of a championship battle?

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:12

Mika finishing the last race with no brakes was unreal, but can he cope with the pressure of a championship battle?

Mika always cracks under the pressure. I'm not basing this on anything other my own blind prejudice.

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:17

I feel confident in saying that Stewart definitely won't win.

And Frentzen will need to up his game against Damon next year. After Damon beat Jacques and Jacques has definitely had the better of him, I feel Heinz-Harald "Quicker than Schumacher" Frentzen may be found out next year.

#8 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,516 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:18

Those silly grooved tires are probably most ridiculous thing motorsport have seen.

#9 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:43

Those silly grooved tires are probably most ridiculous thing motorsport have seen.

Until 2009 came with surf boards as front wings, and clothes racks as rear wings.  :rotfl: Then we got skiffs, row boats, up until oil tanker size and to top it off a halo.

Enjoy the proper engine sounds people. I will!

Edited by SenorSjon, 20 March 2020 - 10:43.

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:53

They are Schitt...but don’t say that or it’s off to a wrist slap.
Jp

#11 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:04

I'm more excited about this than I had been about Australia 2020...

#12 Anja

Anja

• 10,283 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:13

Despite my dislike for non-live sports there's probably a higher chance that I'll watch this than this silly esports thingy no matter how "official" it is. Now if you'll excuse me there are some kids on my lawn I have to yell at. 

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:19

Despite my dislike for non-live sports there's probably a higher chance that I'll watch this than this silly esports thingy no matter how "official" it is. Now if you'll excuse me there are some kids on my lawn I have to yell at.

I agree with you about non-live sports but 90 minutes is a great length of time for a nostalgia soak.

#14 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 13:17

Until 2009 came with surf boards as front wings, and clothes racks as rear wings. :rotfl: Then we got skiffs, row boats, up until oil tanker size and to top it off a halo.

Enjoy the proper engine sounds people. I will!

What is a Halo? And what will happen in 10 years time? What surf boards?

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 13:44

He's a bit confused. There were surfboard wings in 1971 though.

86ebcd84764104e0282755b36e472bf5.jpg

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:01

Friday free practice has just finished.

FPLux.png

Make of that what you will.

That Fisichella will surely be world champion if he gets himself in a top car. He's so quick.

#17 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:01

DRS says hi

#18 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:02

FPLux.png

That Fisichella will surely be world champion if he gets himself in a top car. He's so quick.

Villeneuve seems on his way back also!

#19 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:10

Villeneuve seems on his way back also!

To bad he's going to Fittipaldi himself at BAR next year. I'm sure they car will show some speed with Reynard involved. I reckon loads of points but I can't imagine him troubling the championship contenders.

Advertisement

#20 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:19

Them Bloody Kids?

#21 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 725 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:35

Nice to see the Prost's piling up the laps in FP. I had high hopes for them after last year, but the AP01's been a dog. :/

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:37

That Tora Takagi was a handy driver, wasn't he?

#23 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:38

Wait until you see a halo mate  ;)

#24 Burai

Burai

• 1,895 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:38

There were some proper pretty cars in 1998 weren't there? For all the gnashing of teeth over the narrower track, they looked proper elegant and graceful. The Benetton, Tyrrell and Arrows were my particular favourites.

#25 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 725 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:40

BTW, I found a spot to tune into qualifying tomorrow as well.

#26 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,024 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 17:36

That Tora Takagi was a handy driver, wasn't he?

Nah, Rosset was a disaster. I always laugh when I watch this:

#27 dierome87

dierome87

• 553 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 17:45

This was the first season I followed. It made me fall in love with the sport instantly.

I know many of you here hate the narrow track cars with grooved tyres. 22 years on, I think they hold up very well. They are sleek, elegant and the noise is out of this world.

In days like these, I really miss those simpler (and happier and more innocent) times.

Edited by dierome87, 20 March 2020 - 17:55.

#28 vlado

vlado

• 3,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 18:14

:clap:

#29 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 18:35

To bad he's going to Fittipaldi himself at BAR next year. I'm sure they car will show some speed with Reynard involved. I reckon loads of points but I can't imagine him troubling the championship contenders.

It is a daring move by him. And I think Williams will miss him. Speaking about Williams, there is word coming out of Bavaria that BMW is going to supply them. Apparently from 2000 onwards! More news will surely follow this weekend!

#30 #99

• 294 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 19:18

Intruiging. Hopefully Zanardi will settle in nicely without any pressure and Williams can return to winning ways sooner rather than later.

Any word on Zanardis replacement at Target Chip Ganassi?

#31 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,920 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 19:23

I can’t wait for McLaren to promote Nick Heidfeld to the race team. A future WDC for sure.

#32 DS27

DS27

• 4,681 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 19:27

No doubting that. I would put my mortgage on it.

#33 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,948 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 19:34

Wonder if Rosset will make the 107%, his practice times look he will.

#34 CSF

CSF

• 2,812 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 19:43

Controversial opinion, but I can't help but feel that the grooved tyres have added something this season. The cars are slower, but the drivers seem to be working harder for laptime without the added grip. 

#35 ANF

ANF

• 29,234 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 19:51

FPLux.png

FIA Friday practice bulletin below:

GRAND PRIX OF LUXEMBOURG
BULLETIN No1

Spoiler

#36 ANF

ANF

• 29,234 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 20:08

Here's the transcript from the Thursday press conference with Mika Häkkinen and Michael Schumacher:

Spoiler

And the Friday Five press conference:

Spoiler

Edited by ANF, 20 March 2020 - 21:00.

#37 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 20:14

Intruiging. Hopefully Zanardi will settle in nicely without any pressure and Williams can return to winning ways sooner rather than later.

Any word on Zanardis replacement at Target Chip Ganassi?

Isn't it a driver swap with F3000 championship contender Juan Pablo Montoya?

#38 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 20:20

I think Michael’s gonna do it you know. Was never expecting to say it earlier in the season but Ferrari have come on so far and that win at Monza was huge. I know this race is in front of Mercedes’ home crowd and everything but Ferrari won’t let this chance slip now I don’t think.

I feel sorry for Rosset. He’s not THAT bad, but he’s been unwanted from the start of the season hasn’t he? I’m starting to kinda root for him to at least qualify each race. And Tyrrell deserve a decent final couple of races. It would be good if Takagi’s practice pace finally translated into a race in the midfield because I’ve thought all season that car has much more in it than they’ve shown apart from those flashes in free practice.

Would be good to see Benetton get back on the scoreboard because they’ve gone from mixing it with the McLarens and Ferrari’s to nothing. Fisi looked really good in practice, hope they get their mojo back here.

#39 #99

• 294 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 20:29

Isn't it a driver swap with F3000 championship contender Juan Pablo Montoya?

I must confess to not following the lower formulae much plus this is my first full season following CART as I have only just had a satellite dish installed so I can watch Eurosport for CART and the 500cc motorbike championship.

From the little I know about Montoya, he will excite. Hopefully he will mature over there next season and then return to this paddock at some point.

Advertisement

#40 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,653 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 21:49

DRS says hi

Never heard of it actually. Worse than grooved tyres though you say? I don't think anything will ever be worse than grooved tyres really - they'd have to bring in something like they have in arcade games where the driver behind goes faster, but that wouldn't happen in reality.

#41 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,214 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 22:00

There were some proper pretty cars in 1998 weren't there? For all the gnashing of teeth over the narrower track, they looked proper elegant and graceful. The Benetton, Tyrrell and Arrows were my particular favourites.

Tyrrell has a very strange front of the car. Sides of the front part are notably higher than the centre part. Not sure if it has given any advantage really since they are worst of the constructors at the moment. Granted usually ahead of Minardi but Minardi has better result with Nakano's seventh place in Canada.

Arrows's black livery is great though. 

#42 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 22:57

Would anyone like to do qualifying as live tomorrow as well? I haven't seen a 60 minute timed session since, ooh, 2002.

#43 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:49

I'll put up the Youtube link for the qualifying session sometime in early afternoon -- if anyone wants to do live comments we'll start at 2pm GMT.

It seems impossible to get hold of a complete list of practice times from Saturday morning but I can tell you that Mika Hakkinen set the fastest time on a drying track, with Michael Schumacher second-fastest and only one-tenth of a second in arrears. Ralf Schumacher was third-quickest in the Jordan-Mugen Honda, with Coulthard and Irvine back in fourth and tenth respectively.

Oh and Tyrrell's Ricardo Rosset had some trouble at the airport (thx Atlas F1 archive)

ROSSET TROUBLES

Tyrrell’s Riccardo Rosset is not having the best of seasons and this weekend his troubles started before he even got to the track. Firstly, it took him about 20 minutes to get through Passport Control and then he had an argument at the hire car desk. The receptionist told the Brazilian she did not have time to deal with his problem as they were expecting a lot of customers for the grand prix. When Rosset explained he was in fact a Grand Prix driver, the staff did not believe him.

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:59

It seems impossible to get hold of a complete list of practice times from Saturday morning

That's what Forix is for. I was just waiting for saturday practice to finish at 1100 before posting.

SatPrac.png

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:02

I looked in Forix but could only find dropdowns for 1st and 2nd timed practices! Good spot. :up:

Jordan are finishing the year really strongly.

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:04

It's because back then there were officially only two sessions, but with a break in the middle of each. So 1st timed is all of Friday and 2nd timed is all of Saturday.

#47 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:05

Whoa, I had no idea about that!

#48 ANF

ANF

• 29,234 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:22

FIA Saturday free practice bulletin:

GRAND PRIX OF LUXEMBOURG
BULLETIN No2

Spoiler

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,506 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 13:20

Was this the year when Arrows were using their own proprietary engines? Possibly rebadged Harts?

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,968 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 13:31

Was this the year when Arrows were using their own proprietary engines? Possibly rebadged Harts?

Yes it was. Rather, Hart had bought by the TWR empire.