- - - - -

Classic races we've all forgotten about

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 14:37

Hello everybody. In these strange times in which we are forbidden to leave the house and there is no sport on telly, there's not a lot better to do than watch classic motorsport of the past. The problem is I've seen all the well-known classics already. So why not have a thread in which we post some very exciting races that tend to be forgotten about nowadays?

I'll set the ball rolling with a few I remember from years ago - all are F1 races, but other series are welcome:

2001 Brazilian GP Highlights
First up an exciting race and one of David Coulthard's best victories. It started with Hakkinen stalling on the grid, bringing out the safety car. On the restart Montoya launched a spectacular balls-out pass on Schumacher to take the lead. Behind. Barrichello tried to avenge his team by attacking the other Schumacher; alas, Rubens creamed into the back of him and both cars were heavily damaged. Montoya then began making a hell of a statement, rocketing off into the distance and leading by over half a minute by mid-distance. Surely nothing could stop him... until, on lap 39 he lapped Jos Verstappen's Arrows. Verstappen missed his braking point, ran into the back of Montoya and the race leader was out on the spot, both Williams having lost rear wings at the same corner. That left Coulthard leading from Schumacher, but then it started to rain. Schumacher came in for wets; Coulthard, crucially, stayed out a lap longer and so handed Schumacher the lead - but Schumacher spun, putting DC back on his tail. Coulthard then brilliantly overtook Schumacher, Hakkinen-style, as they passed a backmarker on either side. So Coulthard took a brilliant win in a thrilling race. Oh, and Heidfeld took his first podium, finishing third for Sauber.

2003 Australian GP Highlights
This was another classic which I think is often largely forgotten nowadays. The first-ever single-lap qualifying led to a mixed-up grid and an incredible opening 20 laps; all the runners starting on wet-weather tyres. Barrichello was a little over-eager and jumped the start, earning a drive-thru which was immediately rendered unimportant by him smashing into the barriers on lap 2. Safety car out, and Schumacher into the pits from the lead. That put Montoya into the lead, but he pitted when another SC came out courtesy of some of Mark Webber's never-ending bad luck at home. This left Raikkonen leading from Schumacher and an exciting duel developed as Schumacher tried to find a way past - sadly, this ended prematurely when Kimi was handed a drive-thru for speeding in the pitlane. It wasn't plain-sailing for Schumacher from then on, however; the Ferrari's barge-boards fell apart, as Martin Brundle memorably put it, "like a Meccano set that hasn't been put together properly!" Schumacher was forced to pit, putting Montoya in the lead, but with eight laps to go he spun exiting turn one. So David Coulthard, who started 11th and had at no point looked a contender, took a stealthy victory worthy of Simon Pagenaud. Montoya recovered to finish second and Kimi recovered to take third.

2004 Italian GP Highlights
Another race that started wet and dried out rapidly. Barrichello on inters had an enormous lead by the end of lap 1, but Schumacher on dries spun at the second chicane. But Rubens stayed out too long, lost the lead and then dropped down to 9th by the time he finally pitted. But then the fightback began - I always found Schumacher in this kind of form utterly compelling to watch; launching it over the kerbs, lapping much quicker than everyone, building a momentum and pressure so great that even Alonso couldn't resist it, spinning out of third on kap 40. It culminated with Schumacher passing Button on the start/finish straight just as Barrichello, who'd executed a brilliant race of his own, emerged from the pits in front of them to retake the lead. An unlikely 1-2 was secured, and Rubens was a worthy winner.

2012 Chinese GP Part 1 Part 2
This one didn't have much in the way on a battle for the lead, the two Mercedes leading away from the front row in a manner that would become all-too-familiar. They maintained their dominance throughout, Rosberg taking a perfect first victory, the only blemish being Schumacher retiring from second immediately after his first stop. But what made this one memorable was the incredible 11-car scrap for second place towards the end. It was classic Pirelli madness, marbles all over the circuit and cars sliding all over the place as their tyres wilted apparently at random. In the end Button came out on top, with Hamilton third and Raikkonen, who had run in second with seven laps to go, somehow ending up fourteenth. Cracking stuff.

2012 Abu Dhabi GP Part 1 Part 2
A really hectic race in a season of really hectic races, but this was one of my favourites. It was a madcap, Indycar-style affair with plenty of daft accidents and also plenty of sublime racecraft. Hamilton was on pole, and it looked like it would be a huge weekend for the championship with Alonso starting sixth and Vettel from the pitlane after having insufficient fuel in the car after qualifying. Hamilton led away from Raikkonen after the start as both Force Indias were involved in a first-corner pileup. Alonso demonstrated his class early on with superb overtaking moves on Webber and Maldonado, the latter ultiamtely finishing fifth after a rare sensible day. Vettel, meanwhile, was making decent progress but had already lost his front-wing endplate after tangling with Bruno Senna, not for the last time in this title run-in. On lap nine there was a nasty crash when Narain Karthikeyan (remember him?) appeared to suffer a mechanical failure right in front of Nico Rosberg, who's Mercedes was launched into the air. Fortunately neither driver was hurt. During the ensuing SC period Vettel, by now up to 13th, misjudged Daniel Ricciardo's tyre warming weaves and smashed into a polystyrene board, damaging the front wing beyond repair. So Vettel back down to last and Alonso looking good. Hamilton retained the lead at the restart and looked set for victory... but his desperately bad 2012 luck was to curse him again, out on lap 21 with a fuel pressure problem. That put Raikkonen into the lead as Vettel worked his way back up the order, into the points by lap 24 after some impressively aggressive driving. His teammate Mark Webber was having an eventful day; spinning whilst trying to overtake Maldonado (I genuinely don't think this was Pastor's fault), having a duel with Massa that left the Ferrari pointing the wrong way and finally getting tangled up in an accident involving Perez and Grosjean on lap 37. That brought out the safety car. By now Vettel had worked his way up to fourth and suddenly it looked like he might nick a podium. Raikkonen-Alonso-Button-Vettel was the top four, Kimi memorably telling his team that he knew what he was doing and demanding that they stop bothering him over the radio. When the restart came he showed that was the case, trading lap times with Alonso as the tension ramped up and holding on to take his first victory for three years. Behind them, Vettel sealed a remarkable comeback by executing an overtake on Button so good that you wouldn't believe it was the same guy who drives for Ferrari now. The world champions had shown why they were world champions, and everyone else had shown why they weren't.

So there's a few I remember. Please do post your own. I look forward to watching them.

Edited by Spillage, 23 March 2020 - 14:46.

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 14:41

All great races and thanks for sharing. But I think we should refine the word classic. As 2012 was only 8 years ago. And any post 2000 race, sounds to me as recently. Albeit being said that I feel old when realizing 2000 was already 20 years ago.

If we talk about pre 2000 races, I'd like to add Monaco 1996 and Nurburgring 1999 in the mix.

#3 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 14:42

I'm sure you mean China 2012...

#4 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 14:46

I do. Sorry, fixed it now. There's always some dumb mistake in every post I make.

#5 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 15:14

And any post 2000 race, sounds to me as recently. Albeit being said that I feel old when realizing 2000 was already 20 years ago.

This.  :clap:

#6 Anuity

Anuity

• 1,387 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 15:37

. And any post 2000 race, sounds to me as recently. Albeit being said that I feel old when realizing 2000 was already 20 years ago.

Imola 2005, Suzuka 2005, Interlagos 2006 all seem like classic races to me.

I cannot remember any standouts from 2010-2019 though. Perhaps Austria/Germany 2019 will become a classic. And that win by Jenson in Canada.

#7 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,236 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 15:43

USGP @ Indy 2003. All hell breaks loose, Jaguar and BAR Honda lead their first laps, Sauber gets a podium, and Schumi wins from seventh.

#8 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 17:25

I don't see why a classic race has to be very old. Sometimes when a race is truly something special you know it's an instant classic. 

#9 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 18:57

I don't see why a classic race has to be very old. Sometimes when a race is truly something special you know it's an instant classic.

That's why I was seeking for the definition of Classic in this thread.

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:28

1982 Austrian GP.   Brabham get their pitstop strategy working.  And an astonishing finish.

#11 messy

messy

• 7,500 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:06

1998 Canadian Grand Prix. One of Schumacher’s greatest victories, and most controversial. You had the aborted first start with Wurz barrel rolling through the gravel then hopping into the spare car and finishing fourth in the race like nothing happened, Schumacher forcing Frentzen off on the pit exit and earning a penalty, ending up behind arch enemy Hill who weaves all over the track to try and hold him back. Fisichella had the race all wrapped up with a big lead then let Schumacher hunt him down with one of his classic “twenty qualifying laps” charges.

All that was good (and bad) about that era of F1.

#12 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:20

Australia 1999 - one of those crazy kick-off Melbourne races you want to re-watch.

Brazil 2004 - Montoya's last victory for Williams.

Canada 2007 - Kubica with his famous crash, also Hamilton's first victory and last (very odd) podium for Wurz. Sato overtakes Alonso with his unconventional machinery.

Malaysia 2009 - One of very few races with half-points awarded. Kimi filmed with his famouse ice-cream.

Italy 2009 - Rubens victorious last time around.

Korea 2013 - A fire brigade Jeep wanted to be an F1 car... Also great drive by Hulkenberg against two world champions.

Canada 2014 - Dany Ric wins when two Mercedes broke down. Should have been Massa's race though if not a bad pit stop.

#13 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 14:44

1971 Italian GP at pre-chicane Monza.
First five cars finishing within 30 metres of each other.

Nothing can beat that.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 15:20

Which is why it is a race we haven't forgotten about.

Long Beach 1983 is remembered for Wattie's astonishing climb from 23rd on the grid - which overshadows a similar run he had at Detroit the year before.

#15 Anuity

Anuity

• 1,387 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 15:26

1998 Canadian Grand Prix. One of Schumacher’s greatest victories, and most controversial. You had the aborted first start with Wurz barrel rolling through the gravel then hopping into the spare car and finishing fourth in the race like nothing happened, Schumacher forcing Frentzen off on the pit exit and earning a penalty, ending up behind arch enemy Hill who weaves all over the track to try and hold him back. Fisichella had the race all wrapped up with a big lead then let Schumacher hunt him down with one of his classic “twenty qualifying laps” charges.

That was a good one. 1998 had a number of excellent races.
I rewatched Argentina gp 1998 yesterday and it was proper fun.
I would add Hungary, SPA, Suzuka and Austria from that year.
But yes, Canada was probably the best, along with SPA.

I actually think races in general were much better than in 1996-1997.

Edited by Anuity, 24 March 2020 - 15:27.

#16 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 15:49

1998 was an epic season.

#17 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 604 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 17:08

2010 in general is a classic season in the making if not a classic already. It had many eventful races that can be considered as classics:
Australia - changebale weather, incidents all over the place, classic masterclass from Button and Kubica. Drama for Vettel, Webber and Hamilton.
Spa - same weather with a lot of action all over the grid. Huge blows for Button and Alonso, Vettel's mistake.
Singapore - duel between Vettel and Alonso, late charge for Kubica with fresh tires.
Korea - again with the rain. The end for Webber, misfortune for many drivers and a victory for Alonso that was reminiscent with 2007 Chinese GP albeit with a different outcome on WDC.
Season Finale - pretty obvious.

#18 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,557 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 17:17

Which is why it is a race we haven't forgotten about.

Long Beach 1983 is remembered for Wattie's astonishing climb from 23rd on the grid - which overshadows a similar run he had at Detroit the year before.

Correction. Watson did 22nd to 1st, while Lauda did 23rd to 2nd.

#19 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 17:31

Good call on China 2012 - in my opinion the perfect "beginner" race for a new fan wanting to get into F1.

Most "classic" races are only defined as such because of world championship context, driver/team rivalries, etc.

But China 2012 is just an enjoyable watch from start to finish, with very little background information required. By no means a traditional classic, but the very definition of a watchable, accessible grand prix - a rarity nowadays.

I can't really add too much but Japan 2013 is often forgotten.

And this is totally OT, but after the Lux 98 watchalong, I was struck with just how familiar 1998 F1 feels, and how unfamiliar 1997 F1 feels.

No doubt because of the sweeping reg changes, but as someone who only started watching in 2007, I've always felt a huge disconnect when watching "old" races.

People often try and group eras, etc, but to me "modern" F1 (whatever that means) began in 1998. I daresay 1995-97 acted as the "wilderness years" after Senna's death.

I was watching Japan 2000 for the first time a few days ago and Murray recalls the aggregate 1994 race as one of his all-time favourites. I know the story behind it but have never watched. One for the watchlist.

Edited by TomNokoe, 24 March 2020 - 19:12.

Advertisement

#20 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,713 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 18:58

Monaco GP 1983 - Rosberg starts on slicks on a damp track, destroys everyone.

Then in 1997 when it's also wet at Monaco, Williams think they can repeat history and go all in by putting both cars on slicks - and end up looking stupid!

#21 messy

messy

• 7,500 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 21:23

Good call on China 2012 - in my opinion the perfect "beginner" race for a new fan wanting to get into F1.
Most "classic" races are only defined as such because of world championship context, driver/team rivalries, etc.
But China 2012 is just an enjoyable watch from start to finish, with very little background information required. By no means a traditional classic, but the very definition of a watchable, accessible grand prix - a rarity nowadays.
And this is totally OT, but after the Lux 98 watchalong, I was struck with just how familiar 1998 F1 feels, and how unfamiliar 1997 F1 feels.
No doubt because of the sweeping reg changes, but as someone who only started watching in 2007, I've always felt a huge disconnect when watching "old" races.
People often try and group eras, etc, but to me "modern" F1 (whatever that means) began in 1998. I daresay 1995-97 acted as the "wilderness years" after Senna's death.
I was watching Japan 2000 for the first time a few days ago and Murray recalls the aggregate 1994 race as one of his all-time favourites. I know the story behind it but have never watched. One for the watchlist.

It’s funny, because I’d personally put 1997 in as the start of the ‘modern’ era but that’s maybe because it was the year I started to pay serious attention to the sport. There were a lot of things that started in 1997 that continued through for the next few years afterwards. Not least the positioning of Michael Schumacher as this absolute flawed genius kicking up dirt pushing with this demonic drive to beat the guy in the superior car. That, for me, became the story of that era right up to his ‘vindication’ at Suzuka 2000. And McLaren set a lot of their 1998-2000 glory years up in 1997 with a car that was unreliable, but quite often THE fastest out there. It also brought us numerous rookies who shone (and didn’t) in subsequent seasons - Fisi, Trulli, Ralf, Wurz. It established Jordan as this vibrant young team with bright yellow cars challenging the establishment, and it was the start of Prost, TWR Arrows and Stewart.

1998 was an epic, epic year but for me 1997 was Definitely Maybe.

#22 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 977 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 21:46

Canada 2012

#23 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:12

2010 in general is a classic season in the making if not a classic already. It had many eventful races that can be considered as classics:
Australia - changebale weather, incidents all over the place, classic masterclass from Button and Kubica. Drama for Vettel, Webber and Hamilton.
Spa - same weather with a lot of action all over the grid. Huge blows for Button and Alonso, Vettel's mistake.
Singapore - duel between Vettel and Alonso, late charge for Kubica with fresh tires.
Korea - again with the rain. The end for Webber, misfortune for many drivers and a victory for Alonso that was reminiscent with 2007 Chinese GP albeit with a different outcome on WDC.
Season Finale - pretty obvious.

Funny, 2010 was often critisized as dull due to the rock hard Bridgestones with a few races having last lap pitstops to oblige by the rules.

Anything 2012 can't be unseen with the stupid Pirelli cheesecakes in mind.

#24 messy

messy

• 7,500 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:18

2010 I remember as a very unpredictable, exciting championship where the form book flipped around by the race - McLaren on top, Red Bull on top, Ferrari on top....loads of drivers reasonably evenly matched with both McLaren and Red Bull drivers in the hunt, and a classic twisty, turny championship race decided at the death. But lot of the races were boring beyond belief.

Most insane race I’ve ever seen was Brazil 2003, but will always pain me that one of the greatest underdog victories in the history of Motorsport was spoiled so badly by a timing error that Fisi and Jordan never got their moment to celebrate properly. That moment, where the Jordan mechanics were all jumping up and down, Fisi was chucking his helmet in the air, it was a tear to the eye moment of sporting shock. Then it was ruined.

#25 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:22

Canada 2007 - Kubica with his famous crash, also Hamilton's first victory and last (very odd) podium for Wurz. Sato overtakes Alonso with his unconventional machinery.

I remember saying out loud (while all by myself) after Kubica’s car came to a stop, “he’s dead”. Thank goodness he survived.

#26 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 17:06

This afternoon I quite enjoyed myself watching the 1996 Italian Grand Prix. 

#27 ATM

ATM

• 1,074 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 18:15

Mentioned before, Monaco 1996 was as hectic as it gets. If it ever gets done in a movie, people would think it’s sci-fi.

#28 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 2,212 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 18:30

This afternoon I quite enjoyed myself watching the 1996 Italian Grand Prix. 

Yes, those tyre stacks were crazy!

I know the safety standards were different, but i can't quite believe how they didn't consider the dangers of errant tyres flying about the track. 

#29 Anuity

Anuity

• 1,387 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 19:09

Canada 2000 was another fantastic race.

#30 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 23:56

Watched this one this evening - thanks for the recommendation. Another highlight is Villeneuve's unfortunate attempt to take the lead at one of the SC restarts, apparently trying to take turn 1 without braking... he then lost his rear wing after he rejoined, sadly. 

Still not quite sure how FIsi failed to win it. Throughout his career he showed a lot of promise but never quite had that killer instinct. He threw away a win at the Nurburgring the following year, too.

Edited by Spillage, 25 March 2020 - 23:57.

#31 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 00:19

MotoGP, Mugello 2006. Rossi won a classic, Hayden was the first HRC home and small feats like those helped him earn the title. Dozens of overtaking as the cherry on top.

#32 messy

messy

• 7,500 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:26

Watched this one this evening - thanks for the recommendation. Another highlight is Villeneuve's unfortunate attempt to take the lead at one of the SC restarts, apparently trying to take turn 1 without braking... he then lost his rear wing after he rejoined, sadly.

Still not quite sure how FIsi failed to win it. Throughout his career he showed a lot of promise but never quite had that killer instinct. He threw away a win at the Nurburgring the following year, too.

In his early years at least, he used to tense up and throw it away whenever he got a sniff of victory. He did it each of the three times he found himself in a race-winning position. Hockenheim 1997 was the first. He took the lead at the stops, started looking in his mirrors constantly, the laptimes went south and he let Berger get back past him within a few laps. This was very similar, then Nürburgring 1999 he just threw it off.

Very talented driver but really lacking in other areas.

Glad you enjoyed the race though!

Edited by messy, 26 March 2020 - 07:27.

#33 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,713 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:16

Dallas 1984. Anyone?

#34 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,658 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:26

Dallas 1984. Anyone?

Best race of the 1980s imo, but maybe that's the problem - nobody has forgotten about it!

#35 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:53

The 1990 Mexican GP, for all the people complaining about the current tyres.

There were non-stop, one stop and two stop strategies, Alain Prost won having started 13th, and Nigel Mansell passes Gerhard Berger around the outside of the peraltada.

#36 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,713 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:54

Best race of the 1980s imo, but maybe that's the problem - nobody has forgotten about it!

I think many have!

#37 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,430 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:57

Silverstone 2003, a ridiculous amount of overtaking. All of the late 90's Canada races were great, up to 2000.

1997 was the best all round season, loads of different contenders at different races.

#38 Anuity

Anuity

• 1,387 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:07

Is there any race that would be considered a classic or at least rewatching from 2001-2002/2004? I can't remember any standouts at all.

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,557 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:21

Is there any race that would be considered a classic or at least rewatching from 2001-2002/2004? I can't remember any standouts at all.

Some have already been suggested.

2001 Brazilian GP Highlights
First up an exciting race and one of David Coulthard's best victories. It started with Hakkinen stalling on the grid, bringing out the safety car. On the restart Montoya launched a spectacular balls-out pass on Schumacher to take the lead. Behind. Barrichello tried to avenge his team by attacking the other Schumacher; alas, Rubens creamed into the back of him and both cars were heavily damaged. Montoya then began making a hell of a statement, rocketing off into the distance and leading by over half a minute by mid-distance. Surely nothing could stop him... until, on lap 39 he lapped Jos Verstappen's Arrows. Verstappen missed his braking point, ran into the back of Montoya and the race leader was out on the spot, both Williams having lost rear wings at the same corner. That left Coulthard leading from Schumacher, but then it started to rain. Schumacher came in for wets; Coulthard, crucially, stayed out a lap longer and so handed Schumacher the lead - but Schumacher spun, putting DC back on his tail. Coulthard then brilliantly overtook Schumacher, Hakkinen-style, as they passed a backmarker on either side. So Coulthard took a brilliant win in a thrilling race. Oh, and Heidfeld took his first podium, finishing third for Sauber.

Brazil 2004 - Montoya's last victory for Williams.

Chances are, if it was a race in 2001/02/04 and it wasn't won by Schumacher, it was an exciting race.

Advertisement

#40 Amz964

Amz964

• 1,402 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 18:57

2004 Monaco GP more of a race of attrition rather than wheel to wheel driving but remember watching it and loved it.

2006 Australian GP first lap meyhem good overtakes I think? And last minute drama.

To be honest the Australian GP of 2008 with only 6 finishers and the 2009 races were very good as well.

2011 German GP great fight for the win between Hamilton Alonso and Webber.

Of course all subjective.

#41 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,598 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 19:36

China 2006?

Madness started in quali with the mixed conditions. MSC only 9th in Q2... Only bridgestone in top 10 is able to reach 6th in the grid.

Race was phenomenal with lot of overtakes , Alonso struggling in the second stint , Schumi passing them with two incredible overtakes then Alonso fastest of everyone in the last stint recovering extremely well. Madness in the midfield as well with Rubens suicide divebomb in the last lap :clap:

Edited by Astandahl, 26 March 2020 - 19:40.

#42 messy

messy

• 7,500 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 19:44

I enjoyed Imola 2001 - where Ralf flew into the lead off the line and held off Michael to win - and Monaco 2004 (Schumi Montoya crash, Fisichella overturning in a big crash with Coulthard, Trulli holding off Button to win) but it wasn’t a great few years that. 2003 was a nice anomaly in the middle of it.

I think as already mentioned Brazil 2001 was the easy highlight.

Edited by messy, 26 March 2020 - 19:45.

#43 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 19:50

Silverstone 2001 was pretty good

#44 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,713 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 22:40

The 1993 Canadian GP. Senna was spectacular in the opening laps, and then an exciting battle for second (that left Damon Hill a long way behind!) with Schumacher ended with Senna's retirement.

#45 karl100589

karl100589

• 332 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 23:03

China 2006?

Madness started in quali with the mixed conditions. MSC only 9th in Q2... Only bridgestone in top 10 is able to reach 6th in the grid.

Race was phenomenal with lot of overtakes , Alonso struggling in the second stint , Schumi passing them with two incredible overtakes then Alonso fastest of everyone in the last stint recovering extremely well. Madness in the midfield as well with Rubens suicide divebomb in the last lap :clap:

I remember Pat Symonds being interviewed before the race where he was asked if he was worried about Ferrari, and cockily replied "no, they're on Bridgestones", only for Michael to put in a classic performance for his last win.

#46 Anuity

Anuity

• 1,387 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 23:21

I enjoyed Imola 2001 - where Ralf flew into the lead off the line and held off Michael to win - and Monaco 2004 (Schumi Montoya crash, Fisichella overturning in a big crash with Coulthard, Trulli holding off Button to win) but it wasn’t a great few years that. 2003 was a nice anomaly in the middle of it.

I think as already mentioned Brazil 2001 was the easy highlight.

Yes now I start to remember Imola a little bit, and of course Monaco 2004 with Trulli winning. But overall those years are just completely blank for me, and I was a total fun of Michael.

Good points for Monaco and Brazil 2004, but apart from a different driver winning, were those races that interesting?

I remember one of Malaysin GP's being entertaining, 2001 or 2002, when it was raining and both Ferraris went out but still managed to win it.

#47 ANF

ANF

• 29,540 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 23:49

1971 Italian GP at pre-chicane Monza.
First five cars finishing within 30 metres of each other.

Nothing can beat that.

Denis Jenkinson seemed unimpressed in April 1972. :)

One other major circuit about to undergo an important change is the Monza Autodromo. Monza is like Le Mans in character, you cannot imagine it not being there, and whatever happens to it it will always be Monza, the home of Italian motor racing, speed and noise, preferably with red cars out in front. Monza now has a lap speed of over 150 m.p.h., and the "return to power" forecast in 1965 when the 3-litre Grand Prix Formula was due to start in 1966, has come true as far as lap speeds are concerned, even if we are lagging behind on power-outputs and maximum speeds. The Monza people are planning to introduce two *chicanes* of a permanent nature, into the two fast bends on the circuit. One in the middle of the Curva Grande and the other in the Vialone or Ascari curve. One vague hope is that these extra corners will break up the nose-to-tail follow-my-leader processions loosely described as slip-streaming. I call the hope vague, because it was tried at Hockenheim and did not seem to have much effect, for all the fast drivers corner more or less at the same speed, but it does shake off a few of the "rabbits" and "hangers-on".
https://www.motorspo...uit-alterations

#48 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,557 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:01

I find it odd that Jenks actually hoped that the chicanes would make the racing worse.

#49 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,724 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:10

There was definitely a phase where China bucked the odds and generally delivered enjoyable races. I seem to remember rather enjoying China 2011 as a race for incident, although to be honest I also forget precisely why. Would watch again!

#50 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 146 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:37

Denis Jenkinson seemed unimpressed in April 1972. :)

Funnily enough, having recently watched the 1970 and 1971 race broadcasts from the Monza slipstreamers...after a while it does get strangely boring in a way that "normal" races don't. Sounds strange, but it does. Overtakes for the lead don't mean anything anymore as they happen on every lap anyway and it's just really waiting for the last lap to see who is going to end up on top. Partly it's because the TV production back then was utter crap and the whole circuit wasn't even covered by cameras. I'm sure it would be 1000 times better with today's technology and onboard cameras.

But I guess it's like a good movie needs a good pacing, it can't be all repetitive action from start to finish or it gets boring fast. You need those little calm moments in between and then BAM!...surprise, action, unexpected twists and turns. I guess it's the same with a good race for me.