Photo

Dutch drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nexfast

nexfast

• 984 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 13:38

Just bought some issues of a Dutch magazine called AutoRevue from 1950. One ad there extolls the winning by a fleet of MGs of a national race at Zandvoort that year . The winner was A.J.M. v. d. Lof. That one I can identify : it is Dries (or Andries) van der Lof. But the others, following that anglo-dutch habit in the fifties of only providing initials, are a mystery to me. So, perhaps I can get some help here about the first names of the following drivers:

W. Kuhne from Haarlem

J.L. Molenaar from Amersfoort

G.F. Roeloffzen from Enschede.

All contributions welcome

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 18:28

J.L. Molenaar from Amersfoort

I think this is Jacobus Leonardus Molenaar, the son of JJ Molenaar who ran a dealership/importer in Amersfoot that had a Morris and MG franchise from the 1920s until BLMC wwent pop.  They actually assembled Morris cars from kits.  So it seems possible that an MG race might include one of the Molenaar family.

#3 nexfast

nexfast

• 984 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 18:40

Thanks, BRG. Meanwhile, I got a source identifying the gentleman as Joop Molenaar, which matches what you wrote insofar as "Joop" can be a short version of "Jacobus". Grateful also for the additional information. One done, two to go.

#4 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 19:16

G.F. Roeloffzen is Gerard Frans Roeloffzen, usually called „Gerd“, b. 24 January 1914, d. 23 July 1998.

Already entered in the „Lives on 4 wheels“ thread.

#5 nexfast

nexfast

• 984 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 23:04

Thanks, Reinhard, somehow I missed it while looking for it in the forum. So, only Mr. Kuhne now missing.