Photo
- - - - -

Pro Touring vs Restomod: What Are They, and Why Aren’t They the Same?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,349 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 16:33

Now these terms were initially over a decade ago started by two different magazines: Popular Ho tRodding and Hot Rod; I do not remember which had which.

They were both thicker, with higher grade paper, back then and it was interesting as they, especially Popular Hot Rodding , were going away from  the drag racing dominated articles and branching out to road racing , handling performance  in a big way.

Sadly PHR is gone and even Hot Rod, is less than it was ten years ago.

https://www.hotrod.c...D6ABC7745C6CA7B

Edited by Bob Riebe, 26 March 2020 - 19:17.

Advertisement

#2 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,294 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 19:12

I think the difference is whether or not it's an older car or not. To me, a Restomod is an older car which has been built to a spec which equals a modern supercar performance. A Pro-Touring car can be a modern car, but it's built to equal supercar performance.

Because I'm the Forrest Gump of cars, I was actually on an FSAE team with 2 of the guys who made a couple of the early versions of these cars. The original push was not to build cars which redefined hot-rodding. They were just trying to build hot-rods which could win the 'One Lap of America' event that Brock Yates was promoting. Factor in the punk band "The Dead Milkmen" and you get a bitchin' Camaro.

#3 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,073 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 15:43

Not sure if Hot Rod's loss of our own McG was symptom of decline, a trigger of decline or both.  Growing up in the far-flung frozen reaches of the Canadian north, we all (hey, it was a small town) read Car Craft, Hot Rod and PHR.  I think the last time I picked any of them up, it was on McG's recommendation as it had a (reasonably) in-depth article on a topic I was specifically interested in - perhaps the junkyard 4.8 LS they tried unsuccessfully to blow up with turbocharging and made shocking amounts of power. But I digress.

Restomod to me has always meant stock sheetmetal, modern suspension, more tire, modern braking and a ton of power. Sort of taking the best of our current accessible technology and fitting it into an a classic musclecar (or truck) while maintaining the original style. Something that could be done by a reasonably capable mechanic at home, with bought parts.

Pro-Touring always suggested to me the outer limits. Not something the average mechanic has the skills, insight or knowledge to design, fabricate and build. Built by a team of professionals. Basically a race car with A/C.

What I find most interesting is how power levels that were previously impressive are showroom w/ warranty now. 300 (plus) horsepower V6 minivans for your school run. The Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs of the day when I was a teen hovered around the 180 hp mark (not that we were ever impressed by those numbers). Now, 4-digit power levels are almost child's play and very easily attainable. Turbos and EFI to the rescue.

#4 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,349 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 17:30

Interesting opinions. :cool:

For me, resto-mod has always been taking an older car and juicing it  up as would have been done in the old days to what ever degree you with but not including putting IRS where a live axle was, putting hideous sky-scraper wheels in place of 15 in. wheels, replacing recirculating ball steering , or other early styles, with a pack and rinion, and NOT putting any engine that hit the market  during nineties, or later,  in place of old school thin casting blocks.

Pro-touring would be all not in the above.

Blowers, when I was young blowers of any sort I thought were the cat's meow, but as I got older more from less began impressing me more.

Still some of the impractical items from my days as a youth still cause pangs of coool or grooovy such as magnetos or running alcohol with nitro.

The later always hits my youth button when I am in a hobby shop and see jugs of pre-juiced model airplane fuel. :up:

#5 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 6,952 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:29

Restomod to me has always meant stock sheetmetal, modern suspension, more tire, modern braking and a ton of power. Sort of taking the best of our current accessible technology and fitting it into an a classic musclecar (or truck) while maintaining the original style. Something that could be done by a reasonably capable mechanic at home, with bought parts.

Restomod to me is a restoration of an old car using modern parts, particularly engines and transmissions. It usually includes improved brakes and may also include suspension,

Power is increased over original, but not necessarily to huge numbers.

Pro-Touring always suggested to me the outer limits. Not something the average mechanic has the skills, insight or knowledge to design, fabricate and build. Built by a team of professionals. Basically a race car with A/C.

Pro-touring seems to me to be a wide category, but from what I've seen they are pro-street cars with more road friendly focus and actual steering ability.