- - - - -

Sport and The Recovery ...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 17:13

Although at present the focus is (understandably) on the control and elimination of Covid19, there will come a time when recovery, and getting back to some semblance of normalcy will take center stage. Sport will have an important role in helping people recover from these months of uncertainty. My question for each of you is .... "The return of what sport, do you think will be the most important for the majority of people in your country?"

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 17:15

County Cricket because it'll be a great symbol of how you can achieve important things while standing very far away from each other in complete isolation from the general public.

#3 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 17:16

This is a topic for the Paddock Club. We already have a thread for its effect on motorsport.

#4 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 17:17

In Canada (my home) I am pretty sure it will be hockey. Not necessarily the NHL, but the semi-pro and amateur teams and leagues spread across the country.

#5 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 17:17

County Cricket because it'll be a great symbol of how you can achieve important things while standing very far away from each other in complete isolation from the general public.

Brilliant!

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,203 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 21:36

The Indianapolis 500

Jp

#7 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,622 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 21:57

In Australia unfortunately it will be the AFL and NRL (Australian Rules and Rugby League football codes respectively), depending on what Australian state you are in...

Edited by krapmeister, 07 April 2020 - 21:58.

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 00:57

Football.

#9 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:41

Although at present the focus is (understandably) on the control and elimination of Covid19, there will come a time when recovery, and getting back to some semblance of normalcy will take center stage. Sport will have an important role in helping people recover from these months of uncertainty. My question for each of you is .... "The return of what sport, do you think will be the most important for the majority of people in your country?"

In the U.S.? 

Football. Both college and the NFL. 

#10 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:43

In Canada (my home) I am pretty sure it will be hockey. Not necessarily the NHL, but the semi-pro and amateur teams and leagues spread across the country.

Man, hockey is what I'm missing the most right now. Rough start for my Stars, but they've sure made up for it the rest of the way & were looking great when the world stopped. 

#11 SuperSwede

SuperSwede

• 799 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:35

I Sweden I would say Football (Soccer), but the length of Covid-19 pandemic might mean that it would be Hockey.

But for us Petrol-heads living here, it's the Indy 500 and the Indy season,  and then of course the start of the F1 season too. Having said that, I love Indycar and we´ve got two Swedes in it too these days. One potential Winner: Felix Rosenqvist, and then we´ve got Marcus Ericsson too. But for the majority of the Swedes, I guess that F1 is the most important motorsport.

#12 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,273 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 13:39

If the football season here in the UK and the UEFA champions league does somehow restart I wonder what the standard of football will be like? The players will have been unable to do any serious training for a couple of months and will be very rusty and lacking match fitness; not ideal in the serious part of a season where teams are looking to win trophies, get promoted or avoid relegation, many with massive consequences.

The same could be said for athletics or any sport that is behind its usual curve, I cant imagine many records will be broken by athletes in 2020 without getting the attention of anti doping agencies!

#13 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 16:17

Anti doping agencies are probably not testing anyone right now. Good time for some off season doping.

#14 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 16:59

Yeah, in this whole mess, I feel most sorry for the kids who can't see their friends, play their sports, or participate in the myriad other activities they love. My boys are definitely missing their baseball/volleyball team activities, band, ROTC, & even just going to school.

#15 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 17:01

If the football season here in the UK and the UEFA champions league does somehow restart I wonder what the standard of football will be like? The players will have been unable to do any serious training for a couple of months and will be very rusty and lacking match fitness; not ideal in the serious part of a season where teams are looking to win trophies, get promoted or avoid relegation, many with massive consequences.

The same could be said for athletics or any sport that is behind its usual curve, I cant imagine many records will be broken by athletes in 2020 without getting the attention of anti doping agencies!

It depends. Some records might be ripe for the taking given opposition that will be weakened as well.