Photo

Green Valley Raceway pictures June 1966

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 15:44

I'm doing some research into some pictures I want to use in my second book. I originally started another thread on them back in 2004  but it got quickly derailed and nothing was forthcoming.

I have no information on the meeting these pictures were taken at...can anyone help me?

1382small.jpg

1386copyright-website-copy.jpg

1389small.jpg

1391small.jpg

1403small.jpg

Click on the pictures for larger images.

Edited by Gary C, 01 May 2020 - 15:45.

Advertisement

#2 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 16:10

Isn't pic #3 here?

https://forums.autos...p/#entry9010743

Car called "The Rebel."

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 01 May 2020 - 16:13.

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 16:16

It certainly looks it!

#4 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 16:28

Is pic #4 Thurston Bland, Jabland-Saab?

https://www.racingsp...-Bland-USA.html

RGDS RLT

#5 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 17:04

There was a Texas Region SCCA National at Green Valley on 18 June 1966.  

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 18:05

Yes, have just discovered that Allen, there was a round of the SCCA Nationals that weekend, have seen it referenced as the 'Sunburn 1966' too. What I really need now is some sort of entry list. I wonder if the SCCA themselves may be able to help?

#7 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:21

What evidence do you have that these pictures were taken in June?

Fuller Sets New Mark

For Mansfield Track

By JIMMY BULLOCK

Journal Sports Editor

MANSFIELD — Bill Fuller

the flashy lumberman from

Oakdale, La., added a new

feather to his cap yesterday

when he took over the track

record here at the DeSoto Air-

port during a special Sports

Car Club of America National

program. The driver of a new

Merlyn which carried Fuller's

traditional "Rebel Special"

toured the track in 1:34 to

join the list of speedsters who

have made history at the popu-

lar airstrip.

The Shreveport Journal (Shreveport, LA) Mon 3 Oct 1966, Page 15

Did Fuller have the Merlyn in June? Update: looks like he did.

Fuller raced the Merlyn at Stuttgart, Arkansas, 17 April 1966.

Is it Ed Tucker in the Lotus Elan, pic #5?  

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 02 May 2020 - 12:46.

#8 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 13:29

Maybe you can cross reference with photos on this page: also includes some press/print info on the event

https://www.cliffreu...a1966season.htm

There are other pages of Green Valley events also if you scroll to the bottom

#9 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 14:42

Yes, have just discovered that Allen, there was a round of the SCCA Nationals that weekend, have seen it referenced as the 'Sunburn 1966' too. What I really need now is some sort of entry list. I wonder if the SCCA themselves may be able to help?

Probably not. All the SCCA archives were moved to the IMRRC a few years ago. They would have the info, I suspect. However, they received the materials in no particular order, and have been spending the last few years organizing them.

#10 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 15:12

Thanks for posting, great photos ! In your first photo, the Mustang behind the Sprite is I believe the Dale Wood's machine. It was a dnf at Sebring in the 4 hour on March 26th. '66 driven by AJ Foyt and Woods ? I have one other photo of the car at Green Valley in the paddock along side the Van Beuren GT350 R (#108), the photo is dated June 19th. '66, Sunburn races, both cars wear the same livery.

Michael

Edited by group7, 02 May 2020 - 15:13.

#11 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 16:12

Probably not. All the SCCA archives were moved to the IMRRC a few years ago. They would have the info, I suspect. However, they received the materials in no particular order, and have been spending the last few years organizing them.

Having been to the IMRRC specifically to go through the SCCA Archive, and having spent time with the two archivists funded by the SCCA when they donated the archives, I suspect there may not be a great deal on that race.  There was no systematic collection of race results until towards the end of the 1975 season, when it appears that Harry Handley started collecting and storing material.  

I would suggest contacting the IMRRC and asking if they have a file on it.  

#12 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 17:33

Just another thought, if Jerry Entin or Willem (down his alley, but perhaps a bit later)  see this thread, they may be able to shed some light.

#13 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 19:45

I have been in touch with Don Capps about this and he is passing my pictures to a guy at the IMRRC but he backs up what Allen has said...they might have stuff connected with this meeting but it might not be catalogued yet.
Saying that, what teegeefla has supplied may well be all I need, I will get on to it in the morning.

#14 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 14:56

'What evidence do you have that these pictures were taken in June?' Sorry Rupertlt1, missed this the other week...the slide mounts are all dated June and so far all the info have is confirming that it's 18/19th June 66.

#15 artyparty

artyparty

• 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 20:06

What evidence do you have that these pictures were taken in June?

Fuller Sets New Mark

For Mansfield Track

By JIMMY BULLOCK

Journal Sports Editor

MANSFIELD — Bill Fuller

the flashy lumberman from

Oakdale, La., added a new

feather to his cap yesterday

when he took over the track

record here at the DeSoto Air-

port during a special Sports

Car Club of America National

program. The driver of a new

Merlyn which carried Fuller's

traditional "Rebel Special"

toured the track in 1:34 to

join the list of speedsters who

have made history at the popu-

lar airstrip.

The Shreveport Journal (Shreveport, LA) Mon 3 Oct 1966, Page 15

Did Fuller have the Merlyn in June? Update: looks like he did.

Fuller raced the Merlyn at Stuttgart, Arkansas, 17 April 1966.

Is it Ed Tucker in the Lotus Elan, pic #5?  

RGDS RLT

Apologies all for being rather late to this party! As the current custodian of Bill Fuller's Merlyn Mk8, I can confirm that he took delivery of the car in August 1965. The correspondence I have on file between Bill and Colchester Racing Developments (CRD) in the UK shows that he started talking to them about a "Big Banger" Sports Racing Car, in the style of the Lotus 30, in April 1964 and instructed them shortly afterwards to build him a car.

I have all the letters and airmails, etc. back and forth from both sides and I think it's fair to say that CRD treated him pretty poorly. He had quite thought that the car would be delivered by the end of 1964 as he had intentions to run at Sebring, Nassau, etc., but this was not to be. The frustration in his letters is palpable, constantly having to ask for updates and photos on progress, as well as steering CRD into the use of 15 Inch wheels, rather than the 13 Inch they were specifying, in order to get decent braking. He also requested decent cooling for the US climate, quoting the size of a radiator that worked well in a friend's Genie using the same Chevrolet engine. To that end he supplied CRD with a made-up Chevy block from the US quite early on in the build, but unfortunately it took CRD several months to actually retrieve this block from the Port after arrival, due to "Customs" issues (although it was clearly stated within the import documents that it was a scrap block and would go back to the US in the finished chassis), although they did not keep him abreast of this issue of delay. Bill also specified an alloy fuel tank after a friend's Genie had up-ended and it's fibreglass tanks had split causing severe burns.

For the transmission, Bill sourced a BMCD Transaxle and final drive from Joe Huffaker, liking the quick-change Halibrand gears, as the ZF transaxle being looked at by CRD was thought too delicate for the intended power (as well as being too expensive!) and he had this shipped to the UK as well, along with the information as to how the driveshafts should be made due to the different attachment. Again, this took CRD several months to retrieve from the Port due to "customs" issues and, one again, they completely failed to keep him up to date with what was going on. However, when you see that their replies to Bill very often took between a month to six weeks to be sent, as well as containing the often repeated phrase of "just one more job and then the car will be ready to ship", then you do wonder whether they were just using delaying tactics due to other projects, which they felt more important. In the end, Bill sent in a friend of his from London to find out what the hell was going on and things then started speeding up, although the best part of a year had gone by. The final straw was when CRD did finally ship the car, they provided all the transit details and manifest for the ocean liner being used, Bill turned up to get the car and it wasn't on the ship! Instead, the car had sat for a further period on the docks in the UK and was shipped about a week later.

Having said all of that, Bill was delighted with the car on arrival and impressed with the balance of handling and power, which made the Merlyn Mk8 more than a match for most of the homegrown US-based competition in the unlimited classes. He continued racing the Merlyn Mk8 for many years in place of his Chevy-engined Jaguar D-Type Rebel Special and utilised several carburettor formats, including quad Weber IDAs (as now re-fitted) and Dual Carter Quads. However, with regards to the international scene, things had moved on in that short lost year with new offerings from Lola and McLaren, who went on to dominate what became the Can-Am scene.

Best wishes to all!

Arthur Smith Fitchett