Official: Sebastian Vettel leaves Ferrari

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1318 replies to this topic

#1 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 879 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:17

https://www.formula1...OhB6p7IU9c.html

Its been officially announced by Ferrari. Interesting times ahead in 2021 driver market

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,664 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:18

Didn't see that coming to be honest. Always thought they would find a way.

#3 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:19

Sainz was best of the rest last year, highly consistent, scored a podium.. he's underrated on this forum me thinks. We don't know what he can do in a race winning car.
We saw that Ricciardo at least in a midfield car can't shine as much as well.

Sainz was sometimes very lucky, but he had a very good year. How much was it because of the good car and rookie team mate not being quite there yet?

#4 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:20

I hope he gets another seat.

Vettel can be a bit of a dick sometimes, like all drivers...... but he's got skill and he's one of the more colorful drivers imo.

I'll miss him if he goes and I'm not exactly a fan.

#5 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:20

Saw this coming, and it's for the best IMO for Seb. Would love to see him at McLaren - Mercedes..  

#6 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:21

Have him retire from racing. He'd make a great pundit  :rotfl:

#7 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:21

Best thing for both parties. Best of luck to him, whatever he chooses to do. Sad it didn’t work out as I think many of us thought it would after 2015.

#8 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 1,130 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:22

Saw this coming, and it's for the best IMO for Seb. Would love to see him at McLaren - Mercedes..

Please no!! No Vettel at McLaren. That would be a hit in the guts for me...

#9 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Sainz was sometimes very lucky, but he had a very good year. How much was it because of the good car and rookie team mate not being quite there yet?

If it was down to a good car then he delivered.

He finished best of the rest in the championship, he got the results the car allowed. That is what's required at Ferrari right now if you're not their main man.

So it makes him the perfect candidate.

#10 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Would he accept $6m a year and no chance of a race win though? I love McLaren but they've had a worse decade than Ferrari for dis-functionality. 

#11 oli4

oli4

• 572 posts

The question is who's going to replace Vettel. I hope they go for an experienced driver like Ricciardo (or dare i dream Hamilton). Although Leclerc is very good i am not sure he's mature enough to carry this team on his own.

#12 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:23

I’m hoping something else happens that surprises us.. this won’t do.

#13 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:25

I can’t see Vettel hanging about to bring a midfield team up to a race winner. What’s his motivation? He’s only ever wanted to win races and titles, really.

#14 Beri

Beri

• 11,664 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:26

The question is who's going to replace Vettel. I hope they go for an experienced driver like Ricciardo (or dare i dream Hamilton). Although Leclerc is very good i am not sure he's mature enough to carry this team on his own.

Hulkenberg.

#15 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:29

Honestly I would have rathered see how a second season of Leclerc v Vettel would have panned out. If Seb could have eradicated the mistakes and spins in races, his pace still had him as a force.

However the writing for this was on the wall for ages. Ferrari were always going to slash his retainer and contract length, his form for two seasons was just far too patchy for a highly paid leader.

Whether he switches to another team, like McLaren, or sails into retirement as a highly decorated 4x World Champion, wish him all the best.

#16 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 879 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:30

Have to believe its sainz unfortunately.

But if no immediate announcement happens then boy those Hamilton and Ferrari rumours will surely start up.

I don't think Ferrari would sign seb replacement until the Mercedes future in f1 is absolutely clear.

#17 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:30

Surprised to see it announced so early, it only means Seb has had his mind set about his future, either retirement, or deal with other team is already done.

#18 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:33

Honestly I would have rathered see how a second season of Leclerc v Vettel would have panned out. If Seb could have eradicated the mistakes and spins in races, his pace still had him as a force.

However the writing for this was on the wall for ages. Ferrari were always going to slash his retainer and contract length, his form for two seasons was just far too patchy for a highly paid leader.

Whether he switches to another team, like McLaren, or sails into retirement as a highly decorated 4x World Champion, wish him all the best.

Well they still have this season, if it ever starts or if Ferrari allows Seb to battle against Leclerc.

Seb didn't feel comfortable last year on that car, which showed on qualifyings,but his race pace was still better than LecLercs.However he did strange mistakes.

For this season Ferrari promised to build car to more of Seb's liking (strong rear instead of strong front that they had last year)

Edited by Vesuvius, 12 May 2020 - 07:34.

#19 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:33

alo.jpg

Advertisement

#20 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 879 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:35

https://www.dailymai...020-season.html

Didn't take long for a newspaper and the UK daily mail to publish a story with a headline about Lewis and Ferrari again lol

#21 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:36

The biggest tragedy is Netflix aren't filming ANY OF THIS.

#22 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:37

alo.jpg

I think this needed a little more work to update it from the time Nico Rosberg retired on December 2nd 2016...

#23 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:38

I’m hoping something else happens that surprises us....

A talk show ?
Indycar?
An Alonso type adventure ?

I’m up for change !
Jp

#24 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:38

I can’t see Vettel hanging about to bring a midfield team up to a race winner. What’s his motivation? He’s only ever wanted to win races and titles, really.

Well for the other 14 drivers on the grid every year that aren't in a top team and only ever really wanted to win races and titles, they are just hoping for a miracle, that one shot, that crucial phone call after years of hard work. But 90% of them never get it.

For Seb, yeah I wouldn't know what his motivation would be.

#25 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:39

Again, I don't understand why Sainz would leave his position as team leader at McLaren-soon-Mercedes to become a supporting act to Charles Leclerc. And even if he did, I don't think they would "work in perfect harmony".

Ricciardo would make more sense. McLaren are on a roll, whereas Renault have stalled.

(Trying to continue the conversation from the previous thread https://forums.autos...ferrari-edited/ )

Edited by jcbc3, 12 May 2020 - 08:13.

#26 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:39

I think this needed a little more work to update it from the time Nico Rosberg retired on December 2nd 2016...

Nope

#27 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:40

https://www.dailymai...020-season.html

Didn't take long for a newspaper and the UK daily mail to publish a story with a headline about Lewis and Ferrari again lol

Don't give that trashy tabloid anymore clicks than it deserves lol. 

#28 mirrorboy

mirrorboy

• 57 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:41

If I was Alonso I'd offer my services even if it means driving for free. Actually I'm pretty sure he's done a movement as it's his last train on a top car.

And if I were Ferrari I would take him. 

#29 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Again, I don't understand why Sainz would leave his position as team leader at McLaren-soon-Mercedes to become a supporting act to Charles Leclerc. And even if he did, I don't think they would "work in perfect harmony".

Ricciardo would make more sense. McLaren are on a roll, whereas Renault have stalled.

(Trying to continue to conversation from the previous thread https://forums.autos...ferrari-edited/

Feels like the wrong thread was closed.)

You make a great point though ANF, McLaren Mercedes is a great opportunity.

I have totally changed my mind now.

Sainz stays at McLaren. 

#30 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,707 posts

Alonso. Done.

#31 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 879 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:42

As I've said in another thread. The sainz family are winners. Will he really allow his son a no2 role at ferrari.

There was enough tension between the verstappens and sainz family at toro rosso

#32 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:46

Well they still have this season, if it ever starts or if Ferrari allows Seb to battle against Leclerc.

Well this season is now compromised and, even if they start racing, Seb is already out the door. It's not the same as what it should have been.

#33 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:47

Alonso. Done.

I like. Alot.

#34 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:47

If he was retiring, surely the statement would read, "I have decided not to renew my contract and I will end my career with Ferrari."

It does feel a little Lewis/McLaren in that it's hard to say which party forced the other.

#35 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,862 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:48

Brundle says Vettel is in discussions with at least one other team. Can only be Mclaren, right?

#36 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Great news for Chuck isn’t it...
Jp

#37 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

If he was retiring, surely the statement would read, "I have decided not to renew my contract and I will end my career with Ferrari."

It does feel a little Lewis/McLaren in that it's hard to say which party forced the other.

That's right. So it's very likely he has a deal with other team done already.

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:49

Good. I get bored when top teams have the same drivers for so long. Six seasons is more than enough for any driver in one team.

Let’s get Lewis in there. Shake things up a bit.

#39 Hamm

Hamm

• 559 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:50

Brundle says Vettel is in discussions with at least one other team. Can only be Mclaren, right?

Renault

Advertisement

#40 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:51

I would say Red Bull is strongest choice. Then Mercedes if they continue in F1, McLaren only if Mercedes leaves.

But as Ferrari deal ended, it's more then likely, he already knows his team.

#41 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,581 posts

I can'rt say that I'm surprised. Vettel has two solid chances to win the title and failed to deliver. Yes, I know that Ferrari were oft-time complacent, but that doesn't excuse or somehow explain Vettel's own shortcomings. So it's only logical that Ferrari were unwilling to continue to pay him top-dollar or have him on contract for longer than was needed. 

At the same time, it's no surprise that Vettel did not simply accept the new deal. It's probably a slap in the face for Vettel, no matter what impact his own performance may have been. From his point of view, he is a top driver, and he should be compensated as such. He's probably quite confused and angry that Ferrari don't see things the same way.

#42 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

I don't think Sainz will trouble Leclerc too much. And for him, it's an opportunity to drive for a legendray team.

I hope it is. 

#43 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,681 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:52

Hope they put Danny Ric out of his Renault misery, think he and Charles couldd be a good match.

#44 derstatic

derstatic

• 714 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:53

If they believe that Leclerc is not ready to lead Ferrari they should try to get Ricciardo or a year by year deal with Alonso.

If they're unsure about this they should look at getting Checo or Sainz. I believe both could mount a challenge on their own in the right circumstances and also be great team players picking up serious points for the WCC. Or they could just get Räikkönen back and get Hulkenberg in the Alfa :D

#45 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,225 posts

Well, Alonso stated he will announce his plans soon...

#46 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Hulkenberg.

Hülkenberg would be an excellent choice if Vettel decides to retire on the spot. I think Hülkenberg could become a 20s version of Eddie Irvine at Ferrari.

#47 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:54

Let’s get Lewis in there. Shake things up a bit.

Well we can dream. Box office dream.

#48 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,495 posts

But Sainz won't win with McLaren soon either

#49 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Funny to think in hindsight how BOTH Alonso and Vettel won more races with Ferrari than Kimi did, but neither of them managed to win the championship, while Kimi did that in his first season with the team :D

Ofc assuming we get this season started, there is one more chance for Vettel, but ye now Leclerc has great chance to really be the leading driver for the team and its gonna be interesting to see who gets that 2nd seat. Since we can count Hamilton and Verstappen out, then that really leaves Sainz as the most likely candidate and perhaps Vettel would go to Mclaren, back to Red Bull or perhaps he will retire entirely

#50 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,681 posts

Hülkenberg would be an excellent choice if Vettel decides to retire on the spot. I think Hülkenberg could become a 20s version of Eddie Irvine at Ferrari.

Only thing is that Charles is no Schumacher (yet)