• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#1 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,716 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:12

https://www.mclaren....e-mclaren-2021/

"This is good news for our team, partners and of course our fans"

McLaren Racing announced today that it has signed Daniel Ricciardo to a multi-year agreement to race for the team in the Formula One World Championship from 2021.

Ricciardo, 30, from Perth, Australia, will join Britain’s Lando Norris, 20, who will start his third season at McLaren in 2021. Carlos Sainz will leave the team at the end of the 2020 season after two years with McLaren.

Zak Brown, CEO, McLaren Racing, commented:

“Signing Daniel is another step forward in our long-term plan and will bring an exciting new dimension to the team, alongside Lando. This is good news for our team, partners and of course our fans.

“I also want to pay tribute to Carlos for the excellent job he has been doing for McLaren in helping our performance recovery plan. He is a real team player and we wish him well for his future beyond McLaren.”

Andreas Seidl, Team Principal, McLaren F1, commented:

“Daniel is a proven race-winner and his experience, commitment and energy will be a valuable addition to McLaren and our mission to return to the front of the field. With Daniel and Lando as teammates, I believe we have two racers who will continue to excite our fans and help the team grow.

“Carlos is a true professional, a pleasure to work with and we will continue to enjoy going racing with him this year. We all wish him good luck for the next stage in his career when he leaves McLaren.”

Quite a coup for Mclaren in my opinion. They upgraded on Sainz.

Ricciardo and Norris going to so much fun. The happiest pairing f1 have ever seen? Biggest jokers together

Edited by Clrnc, 14 May 2020 - 09:14.

Advertisement

#2 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,799 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:13

Happy for McLaren and happy for Dan. This really does seem like the match made in heaven.

#3 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,787 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:14

That was quick. :D

Excellent pairing on paper.

#4 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:17

With two clowns onboard, McLaren have also revealed next year's race suits :)

4c1699a8f7aa77fade918976ca966c72.jpg

Edited by BCM, 14 May 2020 - 09:17.

#5 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,079 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:19

Thank christ for that. Was seriously worried they would sign vettel and I'd be looking for a new team after 30 years

#6 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:21

This is such an upwards move for McLaren. As good as Norris and Sainz are, it felt a bit sad that McLaren had to finally relegate themselves as a team which were no longer able to attract a truly world class driver when Alonso departed. With Ricciardo, they now have a line up which can challenge for the championship if they get to that stage in the near future.

This move is pretty damning for Renault, and it is good that Ricciardo took action when he felt he had seen enough. There is nothing worse than staying far too long in the hope that things will get better. Given that 2020 is practically cancelled, he essentially traded a few lost potential wins in 2019 for a massive pay cheque so it wasn't a total waste of time for him at least. 

#7 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,530 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:23

Well it looks like a decent move from Daniel, but without hindsight, moving to Renault looked like the smarter move at the end of 2018...

#8 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:28

Excellent move by McLaren.

#9 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:28

Both McLaren and Ricciardo have just elevated their chances of success in the near future. Great move for both and interesting that McLaren had been sounding out Daniel for a while.

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:29

Helen Crossley’s gonna have her hands full.
lol.
Jp

#11 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,267 posts

I really don't understand why Ferrari didn't snap him up. But Ricciardo is a great signing for Mclaren and in my opinion represents an upgrade on Sainz. Ricciardo and Norris will be a fun pairing. 

#12 Amz964

Amz964

• 1,398 posts

While I totally understand Danny Ric moving to McLaren after the awful 2019 he had with us, I can't help but feel it's a side step. However with the possibility that Renault won't even continue after this year it may ease the pressure of him in case they do pull the plug.

#13 vgrocco

vgrocco

• 104 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:31

Looks like a great move for both sides. If McLaren can return to contention next year or in 2021 it will be great fun.

#14 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,957 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:32

Wow, that is wild. Would have bet my house he was Ferrari bound. Hopefully this move works out for Daniel; he deserves a competitive car. McLaren will be the most fun team to follow with him and Lando I reckon.

So Sainz to Ferrari. Good for him. Here’s hoping he can give Charles a run for his money.

#15 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,726 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:33

As a Ferrari fan, I’m gutted. Sainz. Give me strength.

This is a serious steal by Mclaren. Bet they can hardly believe their luck! Massive upgrade.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 14 May 2020 - 09:33.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,959 posts

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

#17 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Good move for both parties. Fun times ahead. 

#18 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:35

Mixed feelings here, I'm sure it'll be good for McLaren but I can't help feel Ferrari would be better with Danny boy than Sainz, nothing against Sainz at all but I don't see him as a title challenger, Daniel would be.  :confused:

#19 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:37

Brilliant move by the McLaren. Showed Ferrari up. Now it's time to produce a race-winning car and they're game. Happy for Dan, too.

Advertisement

#20 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,787 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:38

LeClerc's Ferrari's number one. Sainz will be a number two, can't see Dan Ric accepting that role.

#21 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,716 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:39

Interesting that after trying to 2020 car and looking at all the data, Ric chooses to believe in Mclaren over renault. Says a lot

#22 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,393 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:39

Given that 2020 is practically cancelled, he essentially traded a few lost potential wins in 2019 for a massive pay cheque so it wasn't a total waste of time for him at least

This is a very good point. The window for high earnings is narrow and the next few post-Covid years may have slim pickings. They can't ignore the financial side of things forever. He could have won a few races in 2019, but he could also have won none, and how much difference to his standing would it have made anyway? The McLaren move looks like a good one.

#23 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,046 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:40

So a Renault Driver leaves to join Mclaren and a British teammate due to Ferrari trying to steal the Mclaren number 1. Its Kimi/Alonso/Hamilton all over again  :lol:

#24 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:41

This really does feel like McLaren are moving back up in the world again. Excellent move. I just hope for a competitive car, and for Ricciardo being able to fight at the front again.

#25 prty

prty

• 8,415 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:44

Norris and Ricciardo pairing has incredible meme potential actually :lol:

#26 prty

prty

• 8,415 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:45

So a Renault Driver leaves to join Mclaren and a British teammate due to Ferrari trying to steal the Mclaren number 1. Its Kimi/Alonso/Hamilton all over again  :lol:

Saniz did also the "Minardi" -> Renault -> McLaren -> Ferrari path, like Alonso.

#27 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:51

Thank christ for that. Was seriously worried they would sign vettel and I'd be looking for a new team after 30 years

Do you seriously dislike Vettel so much that you would stop supporting the team you have supported for 30 years or am I misreading your post? :stoned:

#28 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,110 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:58

All these moves from 2021 seem so strange to me cause we actually have a 2020 season ahead.. probably  :drunk:

Also, we had a preseason testing which seems ages ago. How good did mclaren 'looked'?

I like ricci, hope he does well and mclaren with a merc engine from next year becomes a front runner once again.

Edited by AmonGods, 14 May 2020 - 09:58.

#29 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:04

Funniest/clowniest lineup ever, that the first thing that comes to mind.

I'd say Ric made the right choice by leaving Renault, however, not sure if McLaren will ever be a top team again in the near future

#30 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,041 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:07

This is interesting because Renault must have felt that Ricciardo was not worth the cost.

But even more damning for Renault is Ricciardo had zero faith in their future prospects and went to a direct competitor.

I do think its the right decision though, there looks to be a clear plan and structure at Mclaren. And I felt Ricciardos stock was dropping at Renault

#31 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,634 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:07

Geeze, and I just got used to spelling Renault, and now I have to lean how to spell Maclaren ....

I never thought Renault would amount to anything, beyond a pile of smelly, broken, and ignored promises.  Seems like Dan has had a close look inside, and confirmed it, baling out at the first opportunity.

Looking forward to him suiting up in  ... orange?  Especially looking forward to seeing him in a class car, so I hope the team can light some fires with the Merc in the car.

#32 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:09

While disappointing the Renault experiment didn't work out , I'm really excited to see what he can do at McLaren. I don't think Ferrari being a number 2 driver would have suited him even if it was attractive on paper to drive for Ferrari.

Edited by gowebber, 14 May 2020 - 10:10.

#33 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:14

I'm so happy, I might become a McLaren fan again. :smoking:  (They lost me under Whitmarsh)

#34 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,497 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:17

I think this is a good move, but as always with big-name signings this could go badly if McLaren can't deliver the goods. Ricciardo is still young but things can turn quickly in F1 after a couple of sideways moves.

What does it say about Renault though -- from the outside it's not totally obvious that Woking is the better bet than Enstone, but from the inside at Enstone it apparently is.

#35 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:17

My takeaway from this is that Renault are not going to become significantly more competitive any time soon, and/or are at risk of withdrawing from the sport, given that their performance level is reasonably similar to McLaren, and McLaren are still a customer team.

#36 Casey

Casey

• 2,476 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:18

Happy for Dan , Renault has been nothing but empty promises so I'm glad he goes to McLaren that seems to have found the way up again .

#37 Hellow

Hellow

• 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:21

This is great news indeed! Gratz for McLaren I think I too need check my alligment and maybe turn back to side of McLaren again. :stoned:

#38 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,124 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:25

An Aussie driving for a Kiwi team. I’m happy with that. 😉 I really wanted him to succeed at Renault, but had no faith in management. I’m also happy he’s here rather than Ferrari. That’d be a struggle for me. Fingers crossed McLaren keeps the upward trajectory, and with the Merc donk, things look positive.

#39 Outsider

Outsider

• 934 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:34

i was worried they might sign Vettel, I am much happier with that choice

Advertisement

#40 pizzalover

pizzalover

• 888 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:44

Thank christ for that. Was seriously worried they would sign vettel and I'd be looking for a new team after 30 ye

Do you seriously dislike Vettel so much that you would stop supporting the team you have supported for 30 years or am I misreading your post? 

Some people put more emphasis on the driver. Some of which carry a lot of baggage. How many people would never have supported a team with Micheal Schumacher driving for them? 

#41 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:50

I really dislike Ricciardos move. He knew Renault was going nowhere last season, yet signed for big money and now after one year, jumps ships.

#42 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:50

All right, Lando, time to beat the Honey Badger then  :clap:  :smoking:

#43 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:51

This is the odd move out of the bunch. Makes me think either Dan knows Renault are buggering off the sport and therefore it's a good time to run away from Enstone, or he knows Mercedes are buggering off the sport in terms of owning a whole team and therefore it's a good time to run to Woking as they gain factory status. Or both.

If everything stays as it is and manufacturers stay committed to F1, I don't see the point, it's a sideways move, maybe even backwards. Yes Mclaren had a good season last year, but you should look at the long term trends not single good or bad years. Renault have more cash and eventually should get things right, they even skipped proper development of this year's car to get ready for the new regs, ffs. Mclaren have no chance to seriously fight for the title without factory support, even under the budget cap, even with the good feeling vibes around their recent performance. They're coming from a long, long way back to catch Ferrari and Mercedes. So either Dan knows something we don't or he was (is) seriously unhappy with life at Enstone.

Edited by noikeee, 14 May 2020 - 10:52.

#44 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:53

Some people put more emphasis on the driver. Some of which carry a lot of baggage. How many people would never have supported a team with Micheal Schumacher driving for them? 

If I were putting more emphasis on the driver rather than the team, I would have not hinted about "looking for a new team after 30 years". But yeah, everyone is allowed to choose their favourite teams and drivers by whatever criteria they want.

#45 Coral

Coral

• 6,727 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:53

This is a good move! Happy for Ricciardo. I would love to see McLaren reach the top again...it's been too long!! :)

Edited by Coral, 14 May 2020 - 10:54.

#46 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:01

Seems a sideways move to me, given the relative positions of both McLaren and Renault at the moment. Although I suppose it does give Ricciardo greater job security, based on the risk that Renault could call it quits in the sport.

The Renault chapter in Ricciardo's career is an odd one. Moved there out of the blue for mega bucks, only to ditch after two seasons? It doesn't paint a positive picture for Renault, or Ricciardo's decision making.

#47 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,799 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:06

This is the odd move out of the bunch. Makes me think either Dan knows Renault are buggering off the sport and therefore it's a good time to run away from Enstone, or he knows Mercedes are buggering off the sport in terms of owning a whole team and therefore it's a good time to run to Woking as they gain factory status. Or both.

If everything stays as it is and manufacturers stay committed to F1, I don't see the point, it's a sideways move, maybe even backwards. Yes Mclaren had a good season last year, but you should look at the long term trends not single good or bad years. Renault have more cash and eventually should get things right, they even skipped proper development of this year's car to get ready for the new regs, ffs. Mclaren have no chance to seriously fight for the title without factory support, even under the budget cap, even with the good feeling vibes around their recent performance. They're coming from a long, long way back to catch Ferrari and Mercedes. So either Dan knows something we don't or he was (is) seriously unhappy with life at Enstone.

Just seems like a vote of no confidence in Renault. Mclaren are a long established team and they’re on the up. He must feel that their future is more promising.

#48 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:06

I was about to say that I find this a slightly strange sideways move and not as exciting as most seem to.

Hopefully Ricciardo carries McLaren-Mercedes back to competitiveness but they’ve got quite a long way to come.

#49 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:08

Just seems like a vote of no confidence in Renault. Mclaren are a long established team and they’re on the up. He must feel that their future is more promising.

Of course. But the whole question is... Why does he feel that way?

#50 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,279 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:11

Maybe he just went to Renault to cash in good money for two years, knowing that there was no good option from a sporting perspective for two years anyway?

I mean, anything that he knows now about how Renault plans for the rule changes cant be different to what he knew a year ago, unless he knows that they pull out.