* * - - - 7 votes

Vettel To Replace Lewis/Bottas?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
824 replies to this topic

#1 pierrre

pierrre

• 136 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 18:47

If Vettel is willing to take a huge pay cut for a seat on the best car, the M-AMG while negotiations are still on going between Lewis and the team, can Vettel hijack that deal and seal a top drive for 2021? He could possibly perform in such a strong car while both entities are german and Vettel being younger than Lewis although I doubt he can perform as well as Lewis...or maybe it is just a case of Wolff's interest being merely a bargaining chip on Lewis M-AMG negotiations.

Bottas's contract runs out in 2021 and if the car is strong surely he will take that contracts option for an extension

https://www.express....amilton-Ferrari

Advertisement

#2 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,762 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 18:49

No.

Next.

#3 sabjit

sabjit

• 1,879 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 19:48

Feel this is more hope than anticipation this thread.

#4 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 4,878 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 19:52

Isn't Express a cancerous menace that passes itself off as a news source?

Edited by ali.unal, 14 May 2020 - 19:53.

#5 balage06

balage06

• 1,608 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 19:53

well this must say something...how would the formula one fraternity read through it..bargaining chip squeeze?

https://www.express....amilton-Ferrari

Wolff used similar words about signing Alonso. Multiple times. He won't say anything negative about a multiple WDC publicly.

#6 pierrre

pierrre

• 136 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 19:55

well this must say something...how would the formula one fraternity read through it..bargaining chip squeeze?

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff open to Sebastian Vettel deal with Lewis Hamilton https://www.express....amilton-Ferrari

Feel this is more hope than anticipation this thread.

not a fan of vettel nor lewis...just seing it from a different perspective, another possibility maybe

#7 pierrre

pierrre

• 136 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 19:56

Isn't Express a cancerous menace that passes itself off as a news source?

there are others saying the same thing...alex jones for one

#8 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 19:59

I'd love a Hamilton/Vettel combo. That's just wishful thinking from me though.

I've no idea if Mercedes would even consider replacing Bottas with Vettel next season. Perhaps after so much success, and several years running a clear number one/two policy, a glory run with the two biggest drivers in the sport, even if it does end in disaster, is something they no longer fear.

#9 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,752 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 19:59

Somehow I think Mercedes wants to be part of history when Lewis takes that 7th title. But thereafter?

On the other hand, becoming champions with another driver, to prove that it is the team and not only the driver?

And Vettel is good when he has a dominant car.

And likely willing to driver for much less than Lewis.

Remote chance? Very remote.

Iimpossible? No, not for me. It juuuust might happen

#10 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 249 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:00

Never. Vettel is doomed to stay at home and away from F1. At least for 2021.

#11 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 22,334 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:00

Imagine if Hamilton breaks Schumacher's record with Vettel as his teammate.

#12 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,752 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:10

Imagine if Hamilton breaks Schumacher's record with Vettel as his teammate.

Imagine what if Hamilton takes this year's title but then is told by Mercedes to move over for Vettel because he's cheaper and it's by now time for a change....

#13 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:23

Somehow I think Mercedes wants to be part of history when Lewis takes that 7th title. But thereafter?

On the other hand, becoming champions with another driver, to prove that it is the team and not only the driver?

And Vettel is good when he has a dominant car.

And likely willing to driver for much less than Lewis.

Remote chance? Very remote.

Iimpossible? No, not for me. It juuuust might happen

I agree, but maybe not for the same reason. Is displacing Schumacher in the record books going to be popular for Mercedes in Germany? He is a very popular figure, perhaps more so than Lewis in his home country, who is experiencing tragic circumstances. I don't think Ferrari would celebrate the breaking of that record either, even if it was done in one of their cars. How would the tifosi feel? It would be bittersweet at best. Equaling Michael's records would not be the same, and would in some way honour him too. 

#14 Marklar

Marklar

• 36,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:24

Imagine what if Hamilton takes this year's title but then is told by Mercedes to move over for Vettel because he's cheaper and it's by now time for a change....

The funniest of this would be that the best team would drop the best driver (and their legend at this point) for a driver that just left a weaker team as the designated number two.

Yeah, they arent this dumb. If this was Verstappen it would have been a possible scenario, but even then they would probably not have directly moved him over without options either.

Edited by Marklar, 14 May 2020 - 20:32.

#15 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:26

Imagine Mercedes losing millions of fans in an instant.

There may be an outside chance with Bottas's seat though. But yeah, instead, let's sack a (probably) 7 time WDC and most successful driver not only for the team, but in the entire sport, ever.

Keep dreaming, Henri.

Edited by Counterbalance, 14 May 2020 - 20:34.

#16 KevR

KevR

• 187 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:28

The question is, why would Mercedes take Vettel if there are 5 or 6 possibly better drivers who would do a better job for smaller money?

#17 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,752 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:34

There may be an outside chance with Bottas's seat though. But yeah, instead, let's sack a (probably) 7 time WDC and most successful driver not only for the team, but in the entire sport ever.

Keep dreaming, Henri.

Loosing fans?

You honestly believe that Lewis Hamilton has nothing else but devoted fans behind him?

And don't forget, Vettel is still a German, maybe not as popular as MS ever has been and still might been. But I think that with releasing Lewis for Seb, Mercedes might gain a number of fans `in der Heimat` as well as fans who have enough by now of 7 years Hamilton domination in a Mercedes and want to se a chance in the cockpit if Mercedes will remain winning.

For sure that Mercedes will loose fans if dropping Lewis. But they will gan back some too.

BTW, dropping popular drivers by a team because of wanting to change things ain't new. Look to Williams in the 90s.

#18 Marklar

Marklar

• 36,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:36

Vettel is barely younger than Hamilton, that's hardly a "change". A change would be to get Verstappen/Leclerc or to at least promote Russell alongside Hamilton.

#19 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:44

Loosing fans?
You honestly believe that Lewis Hamilton has nothing else but devoted fans behind him?
And don't forget, Vettel is still a German, maybe not as popular as MS ever has been and still might been. But I think that with releasing Lewis for Seb, Mercedes might gain a number of fans `in der Heimat` as well as fans who have enough by now of 7 years Hamilton domination in a Mercedes and want to se a chance in the cockpit if Mercedes will remain winning.

For sure that Mercedes will loose fans if dropping Lewis. But they will gan back some too.
BTW, dropping popular drivers by a team because of wanting to change things ain't new. Look to Williams in the 90s.

So you're basically creating an argument for splitting up a record breaking team, losing a massive fanbase in the process, but picking up a few Vettel fans and a bunch of Hamilton haters? Furthermore, taking on an historically error prone driver who cracks under pressure and has never won a race from lower than third on the grid.

Good luck with pitching that to the Mercedes board.

PS: I think everyone who's followed F1 for a reasonable length of time will know of Williams infamous treatment and disregard for drivers, so any comparison there is void.

A bit like your dream scenario.

Advertisement

#20 shure

shure

• 2,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:45

The only conceivable way Mercedes would even consider dropping Hamilton would be if his wage demands became too high even for them.  They might try and use Vettel as a bargaining chip, but that's about it.  It makes almost zero sense for them to break up such a winning partnership unless something unforeseen happens to sour the relationship.

There is a slight chance that they could replace Bottas with Vettel, since he's both better than Bottas and German for a German team.  I actually think that's something Wolff might seriously consider, but ultimately I think he wouldn't risk upsetting Hamilton and wouldn't go though with it.  I think the chances of Vettel ending up at Mercedes next year are slim to zero.

Mind you, I didn't foresee Vettel parting company with Ferrari like this, either, so what do I know?

#21 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,752 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:46

Vettel is barely younger than Hamilton, that's hardly a "change". A change would be to get Verstappen/Leclerc or to at least promote Russell alongside Hamilton.

True.

My comment of it  being a change is primarily based on the fact that Vettel's nationality might be a welcome change and in his favour.

But though I see enough reasons for Mercedes to make it happen, specially if Hamilton's enjoyment in racing needs to be paid off with even more and more money ( that becomes available now there will be a budget cap so now what's saved because of the budget cap can go to him instead....), the chance is indeed very marginal at best.

#22 P123

P123

• 16,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:52

I think the only use that Merc have for Vettel at present is as a bargaining chip for negotiations with Hamilton.  They'll be hoping Vettel doesn't go and announce a sabbatical or retirement over the next few months.

If the season gets going and Bottas is disappointing then maybe he'll have a chance at a Merc seat.  Although Toto is a friend, it would still be a lot of cash to shell out on driver salary, for possibly minimal gain.

#23 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:56

True.
My comment of it being a change is primarily based on the fact that Vettel's nationality might be a welcome change and in his favour.

But though I see enough reasons for Mercedes to make it happen, specially if Hamilton's enjoyment in racing needs to be paid off with even more and more money ( that becomes available now there will be a budget cap so now what's saved because of the budget cap can go to him instead....), the chance is indeed very marginal at best.

I don't think Vettel is that popular, even in Germany.

The risk / reward scenario is far too high for Mercedes to consider right now, but then if the Covid-19 situation drags on into next year, then perhaps Hamilton may well have to take a pay cut to keep his seat safe. But that's a big if, at the very least, I think.

Edited by Counterbalance, 14 May 2020 - 20:58.

#24 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,752 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:57

So you're basically creating an argument for splitting up a record breaking team, losing a massive fanbase in the process, but picking up a few Vettel fans and a bunch of Hamilton haters? Furthermore, taking on an historically error prone driver who cracks under pressure and has never won a race from lower than third on the grid.

Good luck with pitching that to the Mercedes board.

PS: I think everyone who's followed F1 for a reasonable length of time will know of Williams infamous treatment and disregard for drivers, so any comparison there is void.

A bit like your dream scenario.

Not everyone is happy with yet another year of Mercedes&Hamilton domination as you seem to suggest.

No denying that Vettel isn't the equal of Hamilton. But as the RedBull days showed: give him a rocketship that's way ahead of everything else and he will get the job done.

Now if there is one team that can provide such rocketships in which a driver like Vettel can flourish again.....

And a German driver in a German car.....

Again, I don't think it's very likely to happen. But there are some reasons why the idea could not be so far fetched after all at all.

Edited by Afterburner, 14 May 2020 - 21:43.

#25 shure

shure

• 2,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:58

I think the only use that Merc have for Vettel at present is as a bargaining chip for negotiations with Hamilton.  They'll be hoping Vettel doesn't go and announce a sabbatical or retirement over the next few months.

If the season gets going and Bottas is disappointing then maybe he'll have a chance at a Merc seat.  Although Toto is a friend, it would still be a lot of cash to shell out on driver salary, for possibly minimal gain.

I don't think cash will play a part in it.  If both parties want it they'll make it happen and Vettel would jump at the chance to join Merc.  He'll know he's not in a strong negotiating position and I don't think money's his biggest motivation anyway.  It'll be either Merc or retirement

#26 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:02

I don't think cash will play a part in it. If both parties want it they'll make it happen and Vettel would jump at the chance to join Merc. He'll know he's not in a strong negotiating position and I don't think money's his biggest motivation anyway. It'll be either Merc or retirement

No doubt he'll be or already has been in contact with Mercedes, Shure. But his bargaining position is very weak.

#27 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,752 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:03

I agree on the first line. But if I was Toto or anyone within Mercedes, I would never ever hire Vettel as second driver to Hamilton. I think Vettel is still too hungry to prove himself and redeem himself and he will never be a lap dog as Bottas is right now. Otherwise he could have stayed with Ferrari and be a lap dog over there to LeClerc. Not wanting to be lap dog to one driver but willing to be so for another top drver in another top team?

I don't think Toto ever wants to have a reoccurrance of 2016 another time.

And you know something? I don't think Lewis wants such either.

And I have the feeling that he has a word or two to say about who he accepts as a team mate and on which conditions.

Edited by Henri Greuter, 14 May 2020 - 21:05.

#28 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:07

There may be an outside chance with Bottas's seat though. But yeah, instead, let's sack a (probably) 7 time WDC and most successful driver not only for the team, but in the entire sport, ever.

Keep dreaming, Henri.

Are you talking about 2006 by any chance? 

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 30,133 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:08

Calm down people....
Geez.
Jp

#30 Lights

Lights

• 16,878 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:08

This thread was better when it was locked.

#31 Marklar

Marklar

• 36,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:10

Thing is that this didnt happen in 2006. Schumacher was asked to either drive alongside Kimi or to retire, he wasnt moved into retirement without any options (for a weaker driver, on top of it) like Henri dreams it to happen to Hamilton.

#32 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:11

Yeah, I knew that was going to come up. But wasn't that more to do with political power play rather than driver movement and salaries? Montezemelo was determined to stamp his authority, as I seem to recall.

#33 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:12

Thing is that this didnt happen in 2006. Schumacher was asked to either drive alongside Kimi or to retire, he wasnt moved into retirement without any options (for a weaker driver, on top of it) like Henri dreams it to happen to Hamilton.

This was the means of pushing him out when he didn't really want to finish his F1 career.

#34 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:14

Yeah, I knew that was going to come up. But wasn't that more to do with political power play rather than driver movement and salaries? Montezemelo was determined to stamp his authority, as I seem to recall.

The point is that a 7 times WDC still considered to be near the top of his game was expendable. There will likely be a lot of politics going on now too. 

#35 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,278 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:17

Seems for Vettel the only option is retirement.

It does go to show that the teams do listen to driver performances. Many on here like to make excuses for runs of poor results, but the drivers who perform are in demand from other teams, the drivers who don't are not.

Vandoorne performed poorly and is out of the sport. Vettel performed poorly and is out of Ferrari and the sport possible.

Sainz performed very well last year and got a promotion.

#36 Marklar

Marklar

• 36,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:19

This was the means of pushing him out when he didn't really want to finish his F1 career.

and yet he had a option, again, a very different scenario

The point is that a 7 times WDC still considered to be near the top of his game was expendable. There will likely be a lot of politics going on now too. 

Though they ended up replacing him with a driver that - at the time - was perceived to be better or at least as good while being much younger (similar as Verstappen nowadays). Vettel definitely doesnt tick off that box. And hiring drivers purely to satisfy one market PR wise seems like an extremely unwise move: If Red Bull has a competitive car they basically gift all titles to them by erasing the only driver that can probably match Max.

#37 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:19

Oh, I agree that politics will be played, it strengthens Wolff's bargaining position, without a doubt. But to the degree of effectively sacking Hamilton for a weaker replacement in Vettel - not that big a bargaining chip.

#38 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 361 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:22

Luca montezemlo wanted a more Italian team. He was fed up of ferrari being referred to as team schumacher. With schumacher, brawn and todt basically being given all the credit to the success (which is fair tbh) rather than the sheer brilliance of ferrari as a whole.

Mercedes. yes Hamilton and toto deserves alot of credit. But Mercedes as a whole operation is probably more recognised for its success than Ferrari was. Which is luca wanted and probably annoyed him so much

#39 Lights

Lights

• 16,878 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:23

It does go to show that the teams do listen to driver performances. Many on here like to make excuses for runs of poor results, but the drivers who perform are in demand from other teams, the drivers who don't are not.
Vandoorne performed poorly and is out of the sport. Vettel performed poorly and is out of Ferrari and the sport possible.

That does not explain Massa, Raikkonen, Maldonado, Grosjean, Stroll, etc. driving year after year while not performing.

Neither all the drivers that drove well and didn't get a promotion.

Just far too simple.

Advertisement

#40 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,249 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:24

You are comparing Vettel with Vandoorne?:lol:  Vettel had a contract offer from Ferrari and if we believe the rumors as well from McLaren. Sainz decided to play a number two rules while Vettel not. Vettel is not out of the sport because of his performance. That is total BS. It lowered his position in the negotiations.

#41 Marklar

Marklar

• 36,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:30

F1 is 90 % about timing. just one example: Sainz would have been possibly not in F1 last year if Renault wouldnt have played dirty on Ocon who then wouldnt have rejected the McLaren offer before it was offered to Sainz.

#42 P123

P123

• 16,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:31

I agree on the first line. But if I was Toto or anyone within Mercedes, I would never ever hire Vettel as second driver to Hamilton. I think Vettel is still too hungry to prove himself and redeem himself and he will never be a lap dog as Bottas is right now. Otherwise he could have stayed with Ferrari and be a lap dog over there to LeClerc. Not wanting to be lap dog to one driver but willing to be so for another top drver in another top team?

I don't think Toto ever wants to have a reoccurrance of 2016 another time.

And you know something? I don't think Lewis wants such either.

And I have the feeling that he has a word or two to say about who he accepts as a team mate and on which conditions.

Indeed, no way would Lewis want another run of eight points hindering mechanical mishaps.  But I don't see that happening again as it was a bit of a freak.  I've no idea if Hamilton has a say... but I believe from memory himself and Toto have said his opinion is heard, but it is only that; his opinion. Lewis's opinion was probably that Nico should be fired to the moon on a one way rocket after Monaco 2014. :)  Naturally, if you are a bit annoyed at Hamilton and his run of success, thinking that he's stopping driver X getting a seat is maybe a useful stick to beat him with.  But he's been teammates with Alonso, Button, Rosberg and been in championship fights with all three.  I think he's well used to fighting with a teammate.  And whilst you may think Bottas is a lapdog, the team have also been happy to sacrifice Hamilton for what is deemed the greater good and fair, i.e Suzuka last season.  Even in the nadir of his No.2 role for the anti-Bottas bashers and trolls, he was still given a preferential strategy which put his teammate behind his championship rival.  I don't think there would be a risk of Vettel fulfilling that role (overplayed by yourself in the case of Bottas) if he were fast enough, albeit it seems that is the role Ferrari had set for him.

One thing for Merc would be how Vettel races his teammate, because despite the wailing about Bottas, they do largely still let them race.  It's not always been pretty from Vettel's side.

But then again, it was assumed even back in his Red Bull days that Vettel would retire early, so that may now be more appealing to him than trying to get a seat at Merc next to Hamilton.  Although one positive is that being beaten by Hamilton would not knock his reputation compared to being bested/ shaded by team new starts like Danny Ric and Leclerc.

#43 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,278 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:33

You are comparing Vettel with Vandoorne? :lol:  Vettel had a contract offer from Ferrari and if we believe the rumors as well from McLaren. Sainz decided to play a number two rules while Vettel not. Vettel is not out of the sport because of his performance. That is total BS. It lowered his position in the negotiations.

Vettel is out of the sport due to performance. Its hard to imagine McLaren would have preferred him to Ricciardo and if Ferrari offered him anything it wouldn't have been optimal for him. The whole reason Ferrari didn't want to offer him a long term contract is they believed in Leclerc, not Vettel. 

#44 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:35

Indeed, no way would Lewis want another run of eight points hindering mechanical mishaps. But I don't see that happening again as it was a bit of a freak. I've no idea if Hamilton has a say... but I believe from memory himself and Toto have said his opinion is heard, but it is only that; his opinion. Lewis's opinion was probably that Nico should be fired to the moon on a one way rocket after Monaco 2014. :) Naturally, if you are a bit annoyed at Hamilton and his run of success, thinking that he's stopping driver X getting a seat is maybe a useful stick to beat him with. But he's been teammates with Alonso, Button, Rosberg and been in championship fights with all three. I think he's well used to fighting with a teammate. And whilst you may think Bottas is a lapdog, the team have also been happy to sacrifice Hamilton for what is deemed the greater good and fair, i.e Suzuka last season. Even in the nadir of his No.2 role for the anti-Bottas bashers and trolls, he was still given a preferential strategy which put his teammate behind his championship rival. I don't think there would be a risk of Vettel fulfilling that role (overplayed by yourself in the case of Bottas) if he were fast enough, albeit it seems that is the role Ferrari had set for him.

One thing for Merc would be how Vettel races his teammate, because despite the wailing about Bottas, they do largely still let them race. It's not always been pretty from Vettel's side.

But then again, it was assumed even back in his Red Bull days that Vettel would retire early, so that may now be more appealing to him than trying to get a seat at Merc next to Hamilton. Although one positive is that being beaten by Hamilton would not knock his reputation compared to being bested/ shaded by team new starts like Danny Ric and Leclerc.

Perfectly articulated, P123.

Edited by Counterbalance, 14 May 2020 - 21:38.

#45 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,278 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:38

But then again, it was assumed even back in his Red Bull days that Vettel would retire early, so that may now be more appealing to him than trying to get a seat at Merc next to Hamilton.  Although one positive is that being beaten by Hamilton would not knock his reputation compared to being bested/ shaded by team new starts like Danny Ric and Leclerc.

I don't know about that. I think his fans have largely come up with reasons why the above occurred outside of the realms of "Ricciardo and Leclerc are better drivers than Vettel". Vettel retiring now, as opposed to hanging around to be overthrown by Leclerc may be the only thing that saves his reputation.

If Hamilton also beat him, that would just be the last nail in the coffin. 

#46 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,249 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:39

Vettel is out of the sport due to performance. Its hard to imagine McLaren would have preferred him to Ricciardo and if Ferrari offered him anything it wouldn't have been optimal for him. The whole reason Ferrari didn't want to offer him a long term contract is they believed in Leclerc, not Vettel. 

If Vettel would have accepted the offer from Ferrari he would still be there. You get that? He had a certain control over the situation not like Vandoorme or Hulk 

#47 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,278 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:41

If Vettel would have accepted the offer from Ferrari he would still be there. You get that? He had a certain control over the situation not like Vandoorme or Hulk 

If there was a clear offer on the table that is. I'm sure that will be expanded upon.

Make no mistake, Vettel could get a drive if he wanted. If he turned up at Racing Point, Haas or Williams they would make room. So he's not out of the sport entirely. However his options for a competitive drive are limited.

#48 shure

shure

• 2,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:43

Well we don't know for sure whether Ferrari actually offered a contract, as some reports suggest talks broke down before any offer was made (although the very fact they held talks indicates there was some degree of willing).

Having said that, there's also no evidence there was no contract, nor is there any evidence that it was a case of Ferrari dumping Vettel, on performance or otherwise, so the previous post is drawing conclusions from thin air

#49 TheMessiah

TheMessiah

• 203 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:55

Did he even have an offer though? I think not.

#50 Lights

Lights

• 16,878 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 21:55

I don't know about that. I think his fans have largely come up with reasons why the above occurred outside of the realms of "Ricciardo and Leclerc are better drivers than Vettel". Vettel retiring now, as opposed to hanging around to be overthrown by Leclerc may be the only thing that saves his reputation.

If Hamilton also beat him, that would just be the last nail in the coffin.

I'd say Vettel partnering someone highly rated like Ham, Ver, Lec or Ric and somehow matching / beating them (depending on who of these) is the only way for him to gain back some of his reputation.

I do agree that retiring might save it the most.

I'd say the worst that can happen for his reputation is joining a team like Renault and getting his ass whooped by an underrated Ocon.

Edited by Lights, 14 May 2020 - 21:56.