Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Zak Brown will ask questions about Ricciardo being sent out for fastest lap in Singapore

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

Poll: Inter team orders (184 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you reckon Ricciardo was sent out to take fastest lap away from Norris in order to aid Verstappen?

1. Yes (148 votes [80.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.43%

2. No (19 votes [10.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.33%

3. Don’t know/other (17 votes [9.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.24%

If you think he was, do you care?

1. Yes (78 votes [42.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.39%

2. No (95 votes [51.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.63%

3. I don’t think he was sent out to aid Verstappen (11 votes [5.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#251 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,832 posts

Posted Today, 10:40

A stop gap solution is to completely ignore fastest laps if one is below P10. No point is awarded anyway.

FIA could sneakily make this change, no one really would be able to complain, they won't have to engage the Red Bull/VCARB conundrum, and VCARB are terrible so it means they can't be used for this purpose any more.

Basically would make all the complainants partially happy, and leave the crap teams like VCARB with no arguments against because having the fastest lap didn't give them anything anyway. It would only piss Horner off, but he can't admit to it anyway.

Maybe Max being cheeky this weekend gives Sulayem enough ammo to go ahead with this.

Wouldn’t a better solution be to stop giving the bonus point? Because drivers in the top 10 do the late stops too?

Advertisement

#252 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,123 posts

Posted Today, 10:40

If out of this we end up losing the point for FL then that's a huge win for F1. 

#253 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,832 posts

Posted Today, 10:45

My point was more that Red Bull could have stolen 4 points in the last 4 races but it didn't happen and they didn't even attempt to do that. So this could well be a farewell present to Ricciardo than anything else. Moreover, we have seen other teams 'steal' fastest laps while finishing outside the top 10, so it's not unprecedented either.

It took decades for someone to realise that you could make a pitstop for fuel and be faster overall over a race distance, for example. Saying that they didn’t do it previously doesn’t carry much weight.

It’s also closer to crunch time in the championship. Teams are going to start doing increasingly desperate things.

#254 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,947 posts

Posted Today, 10:48

Merc or Ferrari should have scooped up all the cheap teams back when nobody wanted them, imagine having all those strategic options available to you by being able to deploy two extra cars

#255 WilliamsFWPH

WilliamsFWPH

• 77 posts

Posted Today, 10:48

I don't get why Red Bull must have a B team inside the paddock. Abu Dhabi 2010 (the race in which Vettel was crowned champion). Webber hit the wall and entered the pit to change the tires. Massa was sent in by Ferrari to cover him up. Just watch what the Toro Rosso car did on both cases.

#256 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,123 posts

Posted Today, 10:50

Well then, that's nice

image.jpg

#257 BleuMurmure

BleuMurmure

• 555 posts

Posted Today, 10:55

If out of this we end up losing the point for FL then that's a huge win for F1. 

With the recent advancement of AI. Pirelli and AWS F1 Insights should reward the fastest lap based on fuel load and tyre age and other factors :)

#258 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 29,276 posts

Posted Today, 11:02

Alonso pitted on the penultimate lap and took 1 point from Verstappen at the Austrian GP while finishing P18.

Yes this seems to be the only time it has happened in, what, 100+ races now where it could have done?

And the other time it happened it just happened to be a sister team doing it and taking the point off a title rival, and the team principal of the main team just happened to mention it on the radio straight after the race.

We all know what really went on.

#259 mjjTT

mjjTT

• 543 posts

Posted Today, 11:07

Every race since this point got introduced the guys outside of the points could pit to get the fastest lap and not cost themselves anything. We’ve never seen someone do that before now.

Not sure I am misreading this sentence. But without really trying I could find already three times that somebody outside the points  pits at the end of the race and get fastest lap. Austrian 24, Bahrein 23 and US 23.

Advertisement

#260 pup

pup

• 3,003 posts

Posted Today, 11:15

https://x.com/ZBrown...WAzyY4jioQ&s=19

All good over there :)

What’s with the matchy matchy shirts? Is this a pajama party or have Zak and Horner joined a cult?

We have questions, Zak.

#261 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,574 posts

Posted Today, 11:20

What’s with the matchy matchy shirts? Is this a pajama party or have Zak and Horner joined a cult?

We have questions, Zak.

Free pajamas with their first class plane tickets.

#262 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,945 posts

Posted Today, 11:20

Yes this seems to be the only time it has happened in, what, 100+ races now where it could have done?

And the other time it happened it just happened to be a sister team doing it and taking the point off a title rival, and the team principal of the main team just happened to mention it on the radio straight after the race.

We all know what really went on.

Well you said it never happened, which was a false claim. I just corrected you. It is not unprecedented.

#263 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,310 posts

Posted Today, 11:24

I think it’s wrong to have 2 teams with the same owner in the sport. This particular situation doesn’t bother me but I can’t think of any other sport with this would be allowed.

They should be forced to sell Alpha Tauri imo.

Now the terms of ownership have changed and each of the 10 franchises is worth quite a lot of money, I'm inclined to agree. Not too long ago it seemed to be a choice between Red Bull ownership and no Faenza team at all, but surely somebody outside the Red Bull empire could make a go of it now.

All that said I'd love it if the Austrians bought it and set up a no-Horner Red Bull team to compete with Milton Keynes.