- - - - -

F1 Top Trumps

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 13:55

So F1 are releasing ‘driver cards’ which I believe will update throughout the season and be used to determine stats etc for the upcoming video game.

Apparently a lot of thought has been put into these... I’ll leave you to decide

https://www.formula1...O9aRORmaKf.html

Ricciardo 2pts lower than stroll
Bottas equal to Verstappen

Advertisement

#2 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:04

Nicholas Latifi is so slow – but he is more "aware" than George Russell!

#3 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:06

This will go down well. 

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:09

Bottas is not only the only driver that goes in any category over 96, but even to the maximum of 99 and even in a category where he is particulary poor in.

Genuinely wonder if this is supposed to be some sort of "he is like a real bot" joke  :drunk:

#5 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:13

Good to see that Stroll and Kvyat have found some speed over the winter.

#6 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:16

Bottas ROFL :rotfl:

#7 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:17

No Ferrari drivers?

#8 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:18

Nicholas Latifi is so slow – but he is more "aware" than George Russell!

Presumably because daddy is funding the team

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,535 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:18

The thing is, any racing game with AI will have these stats buried in the code anyway. Seems weird that they're making a thing of it for this game.

#10 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:36

Man, Lattifi really gets a thin deal. Also there's absolutely no way Stroll is faster than Ocon.

#11 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:45

I disagree with these scores! They're wrong. Let me you tell how they should be.

#12 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 14:57

The thing is, any racing game with AI will have these stats buried in the code anyway. Seems weird that they're making a thing of it for this game.

Because it gives them social media presence. These cards are similar to FIFA Ultimate Team which is super popular.

#13 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 15:00

Yep. Back in the old EA Sports F1 games it was easy to look these up in the game files, and even edit them.

So I'm perplexed at the nonsense of:

"...and the latest instalment promises to take realism to the next level, thanks to the inclusion of driver ratings for the racers on both the F1 and F2 grids based on their real-world abilities."

As if that wasn't already the case.

Because it gives them social media presence. These cards are similar to FIFA Ultimate Team which is super popular.

Exactly. Whatever they need to do to market it during tough times, I guess.

#14 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,127 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 15:07

I can see why they are called Trumps....

#15 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 15:48

Reminds me of the FIFA game and their cards in Ultimate Team. Strange that Verstappen has one point more on racecraft than Hamilton and Kvyat having five points more on pace than Gasly.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 16:29

Yep. Back in the old EA Sports F1 games it was easy to look these up in the game files, and even edit them.

If anyone has the time it would be super fun to dig out those stats and post them here. I know more or less what all the drivers cost in Microprose's Grand Prix Manager.

#17 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 17:09

If anyone has the time it would be super fun to dig out those stats and post them here. I know more or less what all the drivers cost in Microprose's Grand Prix Manager.

Quality game. Played the hell out of that and Grand Prix 3/4 back in the day

‘Motorsport Manager’ is an ok modern version these days, costs a couple of quid on the App Store

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 18:09

F1 tops Trump

It certainly does...so does seeing a baby in a stroller but I digress.

Jp

#19 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 18:11

I disagree with these scores! They're wrong. Let me you tell how they should be.

I'm still waiting for you telling how they should be. :p

Edited by Anderis, 12 June 2020 - 18:20.

Advertisement

#20 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 18:13

I also like how they've removed the Rokit logos from Williams.

#21 Beri

Beri

• 11,661 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 18:22

I also like how they've removed the Rokit logos from Williams.

Please tell me the Williams will be blue 😉

#22 lio007

lio007

• 368 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 18:39

No Ferrari-powered teams?? Why?

#23 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 18:50

The Vettel-spin co-efficient will be DLC.

#24 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 19:15

No Ferrari drivers?

Yesterday they only had Red Bull, Alpha Tauri and Racing Point there.

They will update it gradually, you know - so people go in and check multiple times, all about generating traffic.

#25 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 19:17

So I'm perplexed at the nonsense of:

"...and the latest instalment promises to take realism to the next level, thanks to the inclusion of driver ratings for the racers on both the F1 and F2 grids based on their real-world abilities."

As if that wasn't already the case.

It's because of the new "My Team" thing I would guess. As you create your own team, you also get to sign a driver to that team. And to give any kind of pointers on to what a driver is capable of, and of course the cost. This is a way to do it.

You get to know how fast they will help develop the car (Experience), their pace, their chance of error etc.

#26 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 20:20

Awesome, I was worried about how I was going to settle F1 arguments on YouTube!

#27 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 22:29

3mDnGnN.jpg

6eHG4gj.png

34C5cRG.png

XszfSXB.png

Heh, this is wacky.

Edited by Myrvold, 12 June 2020 - 22:30.

#28 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 23:16

Most of the ratings are ok but that Bottas one is just a travesty.

It must be some kind of practical joke.

Also Kimi is better than Leclerc and as good as Riccardo apparently.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 12 June 2020 - 23:17.

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 23:19

Haas drivers too high.
Jp

#30 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 23:46

Most of the ratings are ok but that Bottas one is just a travesty.

It must be some kind of practical joke.

Also Kimi is better than Leclerc and as good as Riccardo apparently.

It feels like the overall ratings, in comparison to teammates are roughly like they should be.

Also as there are only 4 "skills", I guess the experience one counts a bit too much on the overall, when all that does is give you more upgrade points quicker for the car. In equal cars, the AI-Leclerc would outqualify and outrace the AI-Räikkönen 98/100 times I guess.

To me it seems like they have got the majority of intra-team battle skills fairly good. But then started to play around to get the results to somewhat match the real life based on the speed of the cars they have in the game, which have caused some weird ones.

Lastly, by looking that the stats and how they are explained, I guess if you do short career(MyTeam) races, a driver with high pace, but lower racecraft is an advantage, if you do full races, then you need to consider the racecraft as well.

Too bad that there still is no F1 games (to my knowledge) since F1 97 for PS1 than actually have different driver speeds based on dry and wet weather.

#31 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 23:53

Latifi will finish five laps down.

#32 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 04:24

Grosjean worth more than Magnussen? The difference in collission budget alone would make KMags more economically viable :p

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 13 June 2020 - 04:24.

#33 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 04:53

Grosjean worth more than Magnussen? The difference in collission budget alone would make KMags more economically viable :p

I saw some overview yesterday (and of course I cannot find it again) which showed that Magnussen cost double the amount of Grosjean in crash damages in 2019.

No idea if its legit though.

#34 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:15

Ocon racecraft 90, alright :lol:

#35 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,257 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:50

I saw some overview yesterday (and of course I cannot find it again) which showed that Magnussen cost double the amount of Grosjean in crash damages in 2019.

K-Mag surely had bigger single accident in Montreal.

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 08:16

So F1 are releasing ‘driver cards’ which I believe will update throughout the season and be used to determine stats etc for the upcoming video game.

Apparently a lot of thought has been put into these... I’ll leave you to decide

https://www.formula1...O9aRORmaKf.html

Ricciardo 2pts lower than stroll
Bottas equal to Verstappen

Where do you see Ricciardo being 2pts lower than Stroll?

#37 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 724 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 08:55

It's a pretty useless stat though. Race results are more important.

If you are a clumsy driver and always tripping over peoples front wings you will only cost the team a few punctured tyres in accident damage but several million in lost constructors points. 

#38 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,092 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:51

top driver should've been

Hamilton: 94

Verstappen: 93

Leclerc: 91

Vettel: 89

Ricciardo: 87

Bottas: 86

Sainz: 85

#39 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 13:00

I'm still waiting for you telling how they should be. :p

Sorry it took a while, but I had a look at the numbers.

Different than what one might think at first glance, the overall 'rating' of a driver is not the mean of the four variables (experience, racecraft, awareness, pace). I figured it has to be based on a weighted average. Sadly due to my limited knowledge of numerical methods in linear algebra I failed to calculate the exact weights. I do think I can conclude that pace is the dominant variable, while experience probably has the lowest weight, maybe just a quarter of pace. It might be that they used a different method altogether, but to continue I had to assume this wasn't the case.

Experience seems to be based on amount of GP's, except for a few enhancements. Verstappen and Leclerc are 'given' extra experience, while for Giovinazzi it is lowered. The gaps between the rest aren't always consistent either but at least, except for the mentioned cases, there is some form of logic. Personally I don't rate experience when rating drivers, as I don't take it into account when rating drivers and neither do most people. For the purpose of "collect a greater number of ‘Resource Points’, used in the game to buy car upgrades." I guess it does matter in their rating. But I'd have to take this part off for comparisons. The best guess I could then come up with is racecraft on 21%, awareness 25% and pace 43%. This is 89% of the total and what I suspect F1 used.

I take the merged result of these three variables and compare them to my overall ratings. I wasn't set on which ratings I should use, but F1 says their driver ratings are "based on their real-world abilities" and given that they want to use this in the game, I assume it has to be based on recent trend. Personally I use a type of a 14 GP weekends trend, so I set it off to that.

So, finally, the total ratings for the cards with driver ratings, including the experience value (11%) as decided by F1, but altered driver performance (89%) based on my celestial wisdom, should be:

Driver	             Old	New
Lewis Hamilton	      94	97
Max Verstappen	      90	95
Sebastian Vettel      89        85
Carlos Sainz	      82	85
Kimi Räikkönen        87        84
Daniel Ricciardo      87	84
Sergio Perez	      85	84
Charles Leclerc       86        83
Valtteri Bottas	      90	82
Lando Norris	      79	79
Kevin Magnussen       78        78
Esteban Ocon	      80	77
Alexander Albon	      79	76
George Russell	      75	76
Romain Grosjean	      80	75
Daniil Kvyat          80        73
Pierre Gasly	      80	72
Antonio Giovinazzi    73	69
Lance Stroll	      78	67
Nicholas Latifi	      64	?

Edited by Lights, 13 June 2020 - 13:06.

Advertisement

#40 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 17:09

It's a pretty useless stat though. Race results are more important.

If you are a clumsy driver and always tripping over peoples front wings you will only cost the team a few punctured tyres in accident damage but several million in lost constructors points. 

That's not relevant to the post I answered though...

#41 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 724 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 13:49

That's not relevant to the post I answered though...

Yes it was. Constructor poits are worth millions.

#42 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 14:21

This bodes well for F2

https://twitter.com/...523875088248836

#43 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,477 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 14:44

Bottas better than Vettel and tied with Verstappen......

Also, Hamilton isn't 4.5% better than any other driver on the grid.

Also 2, shouldn't there be a % chance to bin it or make a mistake?

Also 3, does aggressiveness in attack and defence come under race craft or awareness? 

Edited by 7MGTEsup, 15 June 2020 - 14:56.

#44 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 15:05

Don't wanna be that guy but why does anyone care about this? Boring, low-effort, marketing ploy.

#45 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,477 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 15:19

Don't wanna be that guy but why does anyone care about this? Boring, low-effort, marketing ploy.

I think it's more amusing than anything else, wonder if any drivers feel a bit deflated by their ratings?

#46 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 16:24

Yes it was. Constructor poits are worth millions.

"The difference in collission budget alone would make KMags more economically viable"

Seeing how Grosjean was pretty low on the damage-cost last year. The idea that the in-game cost numbers Magnussen v Grosjean and collission cost IRL with equal out is surprisingly enough, not correct.

Which in the end was meant as a halfway fun-fact, halfway interesting stat kind of thing. Regardless, this thread is about the in-game stats, and not their IRL results v IRL salary v IRL team cost.

#47 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 16:32

The game comes with a "My Team" mode, where you start a new 11th F1 team to put on the grid. One of the things you have to do is sign a 2nd driver to the team. This are the things you get to consider when hiring a driver. Cost to break contract and get them. Their yearly cost. Their experience (that will bring in more upgrade points to develop the car), their skill in racing situations, their ability to handle close racing and changing conditions and their ultimate pace.

They could've skipped showing these stats pre-release, as I'll agree that releasing them like this is a marketing thing. But it's not added in the game as a marketing/discussion topic to drive up hits for the game. It is an actual game-logic feature that would be needed due to this new gamemode.

#48 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,770 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 17:32

Using the examples above - seems they got the "experience" stat right - but everything else just seems wrong - not sure for example how Vettel gets a higher "speed" score than LeClerc or how Norris is 4 points lower on speed than Sainz - despite them being extremely close in quali - but Norris beats Sainz on "racecraft" !!?! - i think not.

#49 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 17:34

The game comes with a "My Team" mode, where you start a new 11th F1 team to put on the grid. One of the things you have to do is sign a 2nd driver to the team. This are the things you get to consider when hiring a driver. Cost to break contract and get them. Their yearly cost. Their experience (that will bring in more upgrade points to develop the car), their skill in racing situations, their ability to handle close racing and changing conditions and their ultimate pace.
They could've skipped showing these stats pre-release, as I'll agree that releasing them like this is a marketing thing. But it's not added in the game as a marketing/discussion topic to drive up hits for the game. It is an actual game-logic feature that would be needed due to this new gamemode.

Am I right it isn't an F1 Manager game, though?

Your explanation makes more sense, however, thanks!

Edited by TomNokoe, 15 June 2020 - 17:34.

#50 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 18:05

Am I right it isn't an F1 Manager game, though?

Your explanation makes more sense, however, thanks!

It's not, but the My Team has some manager-ish elements to it. I haven't read up on everything on it, but I would expect that you decide on sponsors etc. as well, with bonuses for positions etc.

The next official F1 Manager game is scheduled for 2022 IIRC, that will be the first one since 2000(1999-season). It's about time. (No, I do not count the mobile game as a proper manager-game)