Formula 1 launches #WeRaceAsOne Initiative

• Please log in to reply
3166 replies to this topic

#1 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:31

Article

So it seems Formula 1 Officials finally take a stance on the political issues of our time. Not only BLM, but others as well. I applaud them for doing that.

It did not sit right with me how often F1 was silent on political issues. So I'm glad they finally do something. Makes me happy.

What's you peoples opinion?

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,641 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:34

I always have had my doubts if sports are the right platform to elaborate on political issues. I still do.

But that doesnt make this a bad decision by F1 do advocate. I applaud it. Because they do have the platform to reach out to all the continents and virtually all the countries in the world.

#3 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,485 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:36

I hope they do something real also cause slogans and stickers won't change a lot of things.

#4 Beri

Beri

• 11,641 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:46

It is good, because this is really needed in these times. We have the issues of racism in the US. I'm thankful, that people all across the world fight against that racism.

But closer to home we have a different issue. Poland is now attempting to follow the russian path in regards to LGBTQ. And the problem is that they have a high chance to suceed. They have even something called LGBT-Free-Zones there.

That is something the EU should do something about. Poland is an EU member. So these are really important issues in this time and I'm glad F1 brings some attention to it. Of course F1 can't bring changes themselves, but they can bring awareness. And perhaps some people try to get political active through it as well.

What I would love to see (though I doubt it will happen) that races in countries that don't share the values of equality and diversity are cancelled.

Bringing awareness is perhaps the only thing that F1 wants to bring to the audiences at home. I cant really see them making political statements by excluding races in China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Brazil or Azerbaidjan for that matter.

#5 FLB

FLB

• 29,860 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:05

It is good, because this is really needed in these times. We have the issues of racism in the US. I'm thankful, that people all across the world fight against that racism.

But closer to home we have a different issue. Poland is now attempting to follow the russian path in regards to LGBTQ. And the problem is that they have a high chance to suceed. They have even something called LGBT-Free-Zones there.

That is something the EU should do something about. Poland is an EU member. So these are really important issues in this time and I'm glad F1 brings some attention to it. Of course F1 can't bring changes themselves, but they can bring awareness. And perhaps some people try to get political active through it as well.

What I would love to see (though I doubt it will happen) that races in countries that don't share the values of equality and diversity are cancelled.

Jean Todt, President of the FIA, said:

The “New Deal” I propose for motor sport in the context of COVID-19 pandemic means laying the foundations for the recovery and a sustainable future for Formula 1 and other disciplines. It includes new rules to reduce costs as well as initiatives to increase the popularity and accessibility of motor sport. Importantly, it shall also harness the positive contribution motor sport brings to society, covering all sectors from health, safety, economy, environment, education, inclusion and diversity. This is the intention of the #PurposeDriven Movement we launched last Thursday, and I am very pleased to welcome the #WeRaceAsOne initiative as part of this collective effort. With Formula 1, we have already been committed for many years to helping to protect the environment with, for example, hybrid engines and the signing of the United Nations Sports for Climate Action Framework. The FIA is guided by the Fundamental Principles of its Statutes, including the fight against any form of discrimination and notably on account of skin colour, gender, religion, ethnic or social origin. We must promote diversity in motor sport.”

Source: https://www.formula1...rCoQDc1RY8.html

Noticiably absent are the words 'sexual orientation'.

Edited by FLB, 22 June 2020 - 11:07.

#6 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:11

And yet they use the rainbow as a symbol, which everybody understands as Symbol for LGBT.

But you are right, they should include that in their written texts as well.

Edited by Sin, 22 June 2020 - 11:11.

#7 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,485 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:28

Should have stopped at "any discrimination", you always omit some when you start a list.

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:32

Not sure why they've omitted that, since it's included - along with some others not mentioned above - in Article 1 of the Statutes:

1.2 The FIA shall refrain from manifesting discrimination
on account of race, skin colour, gender, sexual
orientation, ethnic or social origin, language, religion,
philosophical or political opinion, family situation or
disability in the course of its activities and from taking any
action in this respect.

https://www.fia.com/...nal-regulations

#9 Anja

Anja

• 10,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:34

I hope they do something real also cause slogans and stickers won't change a lot of things.

Pulling out of countries like China, Russia, UAE, would be a good start but we all know that won't happen. For the most part these are just empty words. 

#10 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:37

Nice, but ultimately pointless words like most of these 'initiatives' lately. As long as they race in authoritarian states and places where the named 'minorities' are suppressed or killed, they can write on their webpage what they want, it makes zero difference to real-world problems.

Edited by Jovanotti, 22 June 2020 - 11:49.

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,511 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:47

Article

So it seems Formula 1 Officials finally take a stance on the political issues of our time. Not only BLM, but others as well. I applaud them for doing that.

It did not sit right with me how often F1 was silent on political issues. So I'm glad they finally do something. Makes me happy.

What's you peoples opinion?

Personally it does not sit right with me that any person or organisation that is silent on things that aren't necessarily within their remit get lumped into part of the problem, but at least now that they've come out with a stance, its an appropriate one.

#12 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:56

Nice, but ultimately pointless words like most of these 'initiatives' lately. As long as they race in authoritarian states and places where the named 'minorities' are suppressed or killed, they can write on their webpage what they want, it makes zero difference to real-world problems.

Not racing in places makes even less difference.

#13 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:12

In two minds tbh.  Once you open Pandora's Box on political stances it's pretty hard to close it.  So everyone with a political axe to grind will try to use F1 as a platform.  It's a noble idea but it may end up giving them a headache

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,989 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:27

Maybe if they cut the budgets at all levels of motorsport they wouldn't need such a thing.  When a promising woman driver wins a £500k prize and still can't afford to get a drive in Formula 3, then there's something seriously, seriously borked.

F1 budget cap of £50m, no team is allowed to get sponsorship money, the sponsors basically bid to the FIA to sponsor teams, the FIA then distributes the money amongst 15 F1 teams, and uses the extra amount to support F2, F3, and FFord. 

#15 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:36

Not racing in places makes even less difference.

If they took a stance and explicitly said they wouldn't race in XY or reconsider the race calender because of it, sure it would raise more awareness and actually make a difference.

Edited by Jovanotti, 22 June 2020 - 12:37.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,511 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:38

This thread is about F1's #WeRaceAsOne initiative. Not about non-related issues elsewhere. A reminder that all should remain on topic and that tangents can drown out the topic itself.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 22 June 2020 - 12:58.

#17 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:48

Is there still a sport left that isn’t hijacked by far-left social justice warriors...?

#18 Doren

Doren

• 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:51

They are not enough PR? Why mix salt with sugar. These stickers have a lot of politics and hidden meanings. Not everyone will understand correctly.

#19 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:52

Is there still a sport left that isn’t hijacked by far-left social justice warriors...?

Plenty... (because I don’t think any actually have been)

Advertisement

#20 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:52

Who designs this stuff

IMG-20200622-135029.jpg

Rainbow Halo

IMG-20200622-135159.jpg

#21 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:53

Is there still a sport left that isn’t hijacked by far-left social justice warriors...?

Do you need to be far left to support the #WeRaceAsOne initiative and what it stands for? Equality, diversity, etc.

You are right I'm what you would call far left, even though there are people far more left than me politically. I'm even member of the german party 'Die Linke'. But I think Equality, diversity and inclusion is something you should stand for no matter what your political opinion is. It's a question of humanitarian reasons not political reasons.

Edited by Sin, 22 June 2020 - 12:54.

#22 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,088 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:57

I think there’s a tendency to view widely shifting cultural expectations to newly accepted norms as the highjacking by a minority.

Probably because social change almost by definition starts as a minority movement and then grows until it’s accepted by a majority.

Some people just miss the inflection point in real time.

#23 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:59

Rainbow Halo

IMG-20200622-135159.jpg

I actually think it's pretty <3

#24 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:03

Apparently it's not supposed to be a conventional rainbow, but rather a rainbow using the F1 teams' colours.

I dunno. I like coloured Halos, anyway.

#25 Doren

Doren

• 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:05

Who designs this stuff

Rainbow Halo

IMG-20200622-135159.jpg

After 10 minutes of the race, the pilot will ripple and gleam in his eyes.

#26 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:08

Apparently it's not supposed to be a conventional rainbow, but rather a rainbow using the F1 teams' colours.

I dunno. I like coloured Halos, anyway.

The one you linked is that rainbow using team colours, but the one on the McLaren is a standard rainbow. But yeah I do like it either way.

#27 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:12

Mixed feelings:

1: Great, because it think it's highly needed in these times for influential people and organisations to take a stand so that most people universally are reached out to to make it clear change is needed.

2: Now that the quotes are out ("the fight against any form of discrimination") it comes across as hypocritical or selective because F1 indirectly supports a lot of other 'wrongness' in the world for financial gain where they can also take a stand against, could have for years, but they don't because the majority doesn't care (yet). Apparently this shouldn't be discussed in this topic, but it's hard to not mention it.

#28 ANF

ANF

• 29,519 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:23

Who designs this stuff

IMG-20200622-135029.jpg

Alex Jacques will be reading that script at the beginning of every session.

#29 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:56

I did not know where else to say this, but I wanted to applaud Lewis Hamilton for his initiative in light of depressing recent events. I don't follow him on social or anything, but I went through his posts on this matter and watched his video - it's good that an F1 driver is taking the lead, inspiring change and the younger generation to speak up.  

#30 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,156 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 14:29

9205085a6a37f316a8c31ec8687f08b8.png

#31 pizzalover

pizzalover

• 888 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 16:56

Excellent stuff. There's an endless list of injustices in the world, as bad, if not worse than racism. I look forward to Hamilton, Autosport and F1 giving them the same airing, lest they be accused of  jumping on a woke bandwagon merely for the publicity (good for advertising and sponsorship). 

#32 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,243 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 17:12

Social pressure demands they are 'seen to be doing something' so they've spent around $50,000 to generate a slogan.

Let's see what happens if a noose shows up in the Merc garage !!!!

Jp

#33 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 17:20

It's certainly the nicest a halo has ever looked.

As noticed, the lack of any mention of sexuality in their statement while adopting a rainbow is a bit eyebrow raising. I'm sure they know it, and know how bad many of the countries F1 visits are. I hope they do more in the future once we start racing again, and don't just keep it as a supportive statement while the world is focused on these issues.

#34 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 724 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 17:59

As noticed, the lack of any mention of sexuality in their statement while adopting a rainbow is a bit eyebrow raising. I'm sure they know it, and know how bad many of the countries F1 visits are. I hope they do more in the future once we start racing again, and don't just keep it as a supportive statement while the world is focused on these issues.

And yet they use the rainbow as a symbol, which everybody understands as Symbol for LGBT.

But you are right, they should include that in their written texts as well.

Have everyone here got issues with basic comprehension??? Do you really need everything explicitly spelt out for you because you can't wrap your heads around the phrase "any form of discrimination"? Or are you just that desperate to find something else to be offended by?

Do you have anything of substance to discuss regarding the actual initiative or are you just going to stay hung up on the wording of a press release?

Jean Todt, President of the FIA, said:

The “New Deal” I propose for motor sport in the context of COVID-19 pandemic means laying the foundations for the recovery and a sustainable future for Formula 1 and other disciplines. It includes new rules to reduce costs as well as initiatives to increase the popularity and accessibility of motor sport. Importantly, it shall also harness the positive contribution motor sport brings to society, covering all sectors from health, safety, economy, environment, education, inclusion and diversity. This is the intention of the #PurposeDriven Movement we launched last Thursday, and I am very pleased to welcome the #WeRaceAsOne initiative as part of this collective effort. With Formula 1, we have already been committed for many years to helping to protect the environment with, for example, hybrid engines and the signing of the United Nations Sports for Climate Action Framework. The FIA is guided by the Fundamental Principles of its Statutes, including the fight against any form of discrimination and notably on account of skin colour, gender, religion, ethnic or social origin. We must promote diversity in motor sport.”

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,511 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 18:06

Also check out post 8. The FIA definitely have sexual orientation covered in their statutes.

#36 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,131 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 18:35

I prefer the sport not to get involved with politics. However, considering the Cultural Revolution which is happening now, it is probably a sound business decision to virtue signal.

#37 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 724 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 18:45

It's not politics, it's about basic human rights.

#38 Doren

Doren

• 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 18:56

It's not politics, it's about basic human rights.

What does Formula 1 have in common with human rights? Everyone can watch. Different people are participating. Different people work. Why now, when the mess reigns in the world? Why remind about this in big sport?

This is pure politics and no more. Sport should be independent of politics.

Edited by Doren, 22 June 2020 - 18:56.

#39 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,274 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:07

What does Formula 1 have in common with human rights? Everyone can watch. Different people are participating. Different people work. Why now, when the mess reigns in the world? Why remind about this in big sport?

This is pure politics and no more. Sport should be independent of politics.

Except this is more business than sport...and business cares about politics. It's all about riding the wave

Advertisement

#40 Doren

Doren

• 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:19

Except this is more business than sport...and business cares about politics. It's all about riding the wave

I agree, business too. It is global and has affected many.

#41 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 724 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:23

What does Formula 1 have in common with human rights? 

Do you really need it explained do you?

#42 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:35

Pulling out of countries like China, Russia, UAE, would be a good start but we all know that won't happen. For the most part these are just empty words. 

Is there any country on the F1 calendar that does not have some sort of issue with discrimination? Sure some countries put their hatreds right out front for all to see, but equally guilty are those regimes that hide their discrimination behind skillfully crafted words and policies.

#43 Doren

Doren

• 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:36

Do you really need it explained do you?

I see no barriers to human rights here. Maybe we are about different things? 

Formula 1 is a tough politics. This is the prestige of the country. And the country pays the organizer to bring Formula 1 to their country. At the Nürburgring, the track is private and nobody wants to pay millions over the weekend. You will not return them back. So much beer and sausages can’t be sold.  :lol:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  And the owner of the track does not want to pay so much money to Liberty or Ecclestone or other bosses. :smoking:  This is a business for him. He considers how much he will earn on the weekend.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek: But they earn very well on tourist drives days and track days. Here is the opening times for the whole year: https://www.fastabas...ist-drives.html. Every day is a "carousel" that makes a profit.

I repeat, this is the prestige of the country, to show everyone - look in our country, the Formula passes, but you do not have it.  :smoking: It can be called one word - politics.

Edited by Doren, 25 June 2020 - 22:44.

#44 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,131 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:47

Is there any country on the F1 calendar that does not have some sort of issue with discrimination? Sure some countries put their hatreds right out front for all to see, but equally guilty are those regimes that hide their discrimination behind skillfully crafted words and policies.

These arguments are why I don't want politics in F1. Russia, China and Abu Dhabi are cool racing tracks and I enjoy F1 visiting them. They have different values than Western countries, but work just as hard to create a good event for the TV viewers, in fact, for new races I wouldn't be surprised if they work harder. I have tremendous respect for that.

#45 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:48

I see no barriers to human rights here. Maybe we are about different things? 

Formula 1 is a tough policy. This is the prestige of the country. And the country pays the organizer to bring Formula 1 to their country. At the Nurburgring, the track is private and nobody wants to pay millions over the weekend. You will not return them back. So much beer and sausages can’t be sold.  :lol:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  And the owner of the track does not want to pay so much money to Liberty or Ecclestone or or other bosses. :smoking:  This is a business for him. He considers how much he will earn on the weekend.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I repeat, this is the prestige of the country, to show everyone - look in our country, the Formula passes, but you do not have it.  :smoking:

I dunno why you are going on about germany and the Nürburgring now, but your comment about sausages and beer in regards to german is quite some stereotyping. Btw the most sucessful fast food in germany is Döner Kebab and has been so for a while.

But.. that initiative they are starting is positive for it sends a signal to the world. Hey we here in F1 are pro diversity, pro equality and against discrimination. It is good that they take a stance. It's the same as with Nascar banning the confederate flag. In these times you can't stay silent. I am glad that they take a stance.

Of course I would appreciate it if with the initiative they do more as well, but this is a first step. And there are single persons in F1, like Lewis who support the good (and peaceful) fight and organizations that work for equality. Yes... the things the initiative stands for are human rights and F1 should stand up for them. They are after all a sport based in europe and they should stand up for those western values. I'm sad that the money reigns over most of the business and that they likely won't do more than start an initiative and perhaps a donation spree. They won't take a real political stance and pull out of certain countries for racing, I doubt they will do that.

#46 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,131 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:52

I dunno why you are going on about germany and the Nürburgring now, but your comment about sausages and beer in regards to german is quite some stereotyping. Btw the most sucessful fast food in germany is Döner Kebab and has been so for a while.

Seriously off topic, but I don't know what to make of these news, as I enjoy sausages very much, but love Arab fast food as well. In fact, I even think that they make burgers better than Americans!  :drunk:

#47 Doren

Doren

• 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:53

These arguments are why I don't want politics in F1. Russia, China and Abu Dhabi are cool racing tracks and I enjoy F1 visiting them. They have different values than Western countries, but work just as hard to create a good event for the TV viewers, in fact, for new races I wouldn't be surprised if they work harder. I have tremendous respect for that.

Formula 1 in Russia is a pure politic. The president raises the prestige of the country and spares no money. The Arab Emirates and China too. They have a lot of money and the prestige of the country is very important.

#48 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,131 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:57

Formula 1 in Russia is a pure politic. The president raises the prestige of the country and spares no money. The Arab Emirates and China too. They have a lot of money and the prestige of the country is very important.

Yes, but China does not make F1 promote socialism with Chinese characteristic, nor Russia is pushing the sport to advocate for sovereign democracy. They are working hard to show that they are worthy of hosting a Grand Prix and in my opinion they do. It is not fair to take their starts because the West currently supports liberal democracy with emphasis for social justice, nor the sport is the correct tool of promoting such values. I think that the sport has had many successful drivers from all over the world and what matters is if you have the pace or no. Or the skill, if we are talking about managers and mechanics. As it should be  :up:

#49 Doren

Doren

• 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 20:05

Yes, but China does not make F1 promote socialism with Chinese characteristic, nor Russia is pushing the sport to advocate for sovereign democracy. They are working hard to show that they are worthy of hosting a Grand Prix and in my opinion they do. It is not fair to take their starts because the West currently supports liberal democracy with emphasis for social justice, nor the sport is the correct tool of promoting such values. I think that the sport has had many successful drivers from all over the world and what matters is if you have the pace or no. Or the skill, if we are talking about managers and mechanics. As it should be  :up:

I absolutely agree with you.

#50 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 20:28

I was under the impression it was Currywurst. Or is that just in Berlin?