Photo

Letter to Seppi

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jacko

jacko

• 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 18:57

Being a child of the 60's my motor sport memories from around that time remain my favourites and I continue to collect publications and memorabilia from that era. I recently obtained e copy of a german language magazine, "Powerslide" dated December 1967 and was amazed to find between its pages a carbon copy of a sent letter.  I reproduce it below for your interest.

4th December 1967

Joseph Siffert

Les Delilettes

Fribourg, Switzerland.

Dear Seppi,

I have booked the following hotel rooms for you for next year;

Silverstone,    April   25 & 26 Jersey Rooms, 1 doubled room.

Madrid,  Spain,  May 12-16 Luz Palacio, 1 double & bath.

Spa, Belgium, June 6-10 Chateau Sous Bois, 1 double & bath

Zandvoort, June 20-24 Hotel Souvres, 1 double & bath

Nurburgring, Aug 1-4 Hotel Lochmuhle, Altenahr, 1 double & bath

Oulton Park, Aug 15-18 Crexton Wood Club, 1 double & bath

Watkins Glen. Oct 2-7 Glen Motor Court, 1 double & bath

Mexico Oct 30-Nov 3 Il Presidente, 1 double & bath

I have not booked for Monaco, Rouen or Monza.

The letter is unsigned end the spelling of the place names etc. may not be 100% as the copy is quite faded, but I found it absolutely fascinating. I hope you agree

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 19:05

Swiss magazine with outstanding photos and desgn (for the time).  Rico Steinemann was the editor (or was one of the editors)..  Around 1964 or '65 I had to take his British GP passes to a Heathrow Hotel for his collection.  The receptionist was expecting a package for an Irish fellow named Rick O'Styman.  He became a very competent Porsche endurance driver.

DCN

#3 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 19:34

What a great find Jacko. Would the letter be from Rob Walker, or someone working for RW? Or did Seppi have an english-speaking manager?

#4 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 19:39

Could the ‘Silverstone’ booking be the Jersey Arms at Middleton Stoney?

One of my favourite places when I was growing up in the 70’s with the old photos etc

#5 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 20:00

What a great find Jacko. Would the letter be from Rob Walker, or someone working for RW? Or did Seppi have an english-speaking manager?

Was the letter handwritten?  That might lend a clue.  However carbon paper was normally used on typewriters. 

I wonder if the letter could be scanned and then with the help of some software, the writing might become more clear.  I don 't know about such things but there are people here who do.

Given the date of the letter they are talking about the 1968 season, and the British Grand Prix was at Brands Hatch in July,  Looks like a Grand Prix schedule with perhaps a couple of non-championship races, but they left out the British and Canadian GPs. 

Also wonder if Seppi looked at this letter and said "Damn, no bath at Silverstone!"

Awesome thing to find!  Thanks for sharing. 

#6 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 20:39

I was thinking Jo was joining Rob Walker in 1968 but, of course, he was already with him. I'm sure then that this will be a letter from RW, or an assistant Seppi knows well.

Perhaps, in December 1967, the Canadian GP, or its venue, was not confirmed. (It moved on from Mosport to St.Jovite) Regarding the British GP, maybe it was taken as read that Jo would stay with Rob for the Brands Hatch races - the Race of Champions is not on the list either.

#7 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:56

Being a child of the 60's my motor sport memories from around that time remain my favourites and I continue to collect publications and memorabilia from that era. I recently obtained e copy of a german language magazine, "Powerslide" dated December 1967 and was amazed to find between its pages a carbon copy of a sent letter.  I reproduce it below for your interest.

Zandvoort, June 20-24 Hotel Souvres, 1 double & bath

The letter is unsigned end the spelling of the place names etc. may not be 100% as the copy is quite faded, but I found it absolutely fascinating. I hope you agree

Great find! It should be Hotel Bouwes in Zandvoort.

#8 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:50

Regarding Rouen, Monaco and Monza, do you think Seppi had his own arrangements near those tracks, or again did Rob Walker have space in one of his, or a friend's property, or a bit of both?

#9 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:14

Seppi was also of course driving sports cars that year (mainly for Porsche) - as there's no mention of any locations linked to those events, I'd say this is almost certainly from the Rob Walker organisation. Just need to find the letter from Porsche with their reservations for him to complete the season ...!

#10 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:21

That could well have beefrom Liz Piper - David Piper's wife - who I believe was Rob's secretary around that time...

DCN

#11 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 13:05

Looks like Siffert may have had to sleep in the garage at Jarama as his hotel booking is for the 5 nights after the Spanish GP.  

#12 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 13:19

[makes note to himself] Must check my Powerslide issues for hidden treasures... [/note]

#13 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 18:00

In his forward to Jacques Deschenaux's biography "Jo Siffert" Rob Walker talks about Seppi's habit of being disorganized.  He mentions that Seppi never made a hotel reservation himself.  Which would explain this letter in which someone made reservations for him. 

RW describes Deschenaux as being almost a personal assistant who tried to put order into Seppi's disorderly life, even to the point of bringing Seppi's driving gear to the circuit.  Perhaps the reservations were made and the letter was written (or typed?) by Deschenaux. 

Also in the forward RW mentions that on his final weekend, Seppi had originally planned to stay at RW's apartment in London but decided to stay closer to Brands Hatch.  Gives credence to John's suggestion that for the GP weekend and The Race of Champions he was planning to stay with the Walkers. 

Getting back to the physical letter, frame it and hang it on the wall!  That's what I would do.

Edited by Dave Ware, 08 July 2020 - 18:20.

#14 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 18:06

Also wonder if Seppi looked at this letter and said "Damn, no bath at Silverstone!"

What was I thinking?  It would have been, "Merde, alors!  No bath at Silverstone!"

#15 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:19

More like, "Gaggi, khei Brünneli!"

#16 wheadon1985

wheadon1985

• 124 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 14:32

Could the ‘Silverstone’ booking be the Jersey Arms at Middleton Stoney?

One of my favourite places when I was growing up in the 70’s with the old photos etc

This is what I think too, we usually stop there during the WEC weekend. I've searched for the "Jersey Rooms" online and can't find anything. Might ask the boss once he comes back from Croft as he grew up in Brackley. 

Edited by wheadon1985, 09 July 2020 - 14:32.