Photo

Connew - 'new' pictures

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 13:32

Although the Le Mans paddock photos on my website were, apparently, taken with Mr. Connew standing right next to me, also taking practically identical shots, yesterday he showed me a pack of pictures which included the aforementioned photos as well as quite a few that I was not aware of.

So, I've decided to show them to you, a few at a time, with descriptions of each. I will post them in what I think is the correct chronological order, starting with.....

23-CFD0-FF-DCB7-451-A-91-F4-2-F346-F20-B
Yes, it really is yours truly, in the garage in Chadwell Heath where the car was built.

7-F52-B0-C9-57-A8-4765-AB3-E-D2-CD80-F31
Francois passing the pits at Le Mans where we were stuck when our lorry engine blew on the way to Clermont Ferrand. This is almost certainly the first time the car had ever run under its own power.

9553-CDBE-95-C3-4-DDA-A921-9663-C6-F6117
The lonely designer...... Peter in one of the Le Mans pit boxes.

More pictures will be added soon, unless I'm told that nobody is actually interested......

Sorry, chaps, when I typed all this in, the pictures opened fine. But it seems that they don't. Can anyone explain why?

Advertisement

#2 barrykm

barrykm

• 807 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 13:44

Hi Barry - hope you can fix the picture problem...we are interested  :up:

#3 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 14:26

This is ridiculous.  When did it become so difficult to post pictures on TNF?

#4 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 14:28

Interesting photos!  Did you, Peter and Francois have the short Le Mans track to yourselves? What memories you must have!

Edited by Vitesse2, 08 July 2020 - 19:15.

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 14:35

Yes, John, as Francois was from Le Mans, they gave us a free run on the Bugatti circuit.

I tried clicking on QUOTE and the pictures did open, but in a REPLY TO box.  That's really not good enough.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 14:35

Your pictures are on a site which doesn't support https, Barry. Non-https images are now blocked by default because they can contain 'little nasties'. You'll need to use something like Postimage.

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 14:39

I see.  Well I don't use anything like Post Image.  So I'm afraid if the slot race web space that I always use, isn't good enough, then I'll forget the whole idea.

Pity.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 15:08

Postimage is very straightforward to use, Barry, and is probably quicker than uploading your photos to the slot car site then reposting them here. I’ve edited the photos back into your opening post.

I do hope you’ll put a few more up.

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 15:13

I see.  Well I don't use anything like Post Image.  So I'm afraid if the slot race web space that I always use, isn't good enough, then I'll forget the whole idea.

Pity.

Come on Barry - you're a Racer, not a surrender monkey!  I use Postimages.org and if a computerphobe like me can work that system, darned sure you can!

Your pix sound too good to miss.  Try Postimage - it's dead easy, really....  Doug    :cat: 

#10 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 15:15

Oh the shame...... okay, I'll look into it.

#11 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 15:30

Thanks Tim.

I'll see about this posting business.

#12 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 16:14

Great pictures. For some reason its always a faff posting pics on here, if you get stuck I'd be happy to post them for you if you want to email me them.

btw, when the car ran at Le Mans, did it have a number on?

#13 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 16:25

Well, chaps, I signed into Postimage.org and uploaded the set of pictures to it but although I've tried several different URLs from the site, I'm still not getting images on my post, just a line of numbers and letters. Instruction required.

Izzyeviel - back in those days, numbers were allotted by race organisers and small outfits like ours would only find out what our number would be when we arrived at the circuit.  Although we were entered for the French Grand Prix (according to Brian Kreisky) we were never informed of a number and we aren't shown as DNA on any race details that I've seen.

My suspicion is that we would have been 31.

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,773 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 16:45

Step-by-step instructions here, Barry: https://forums.autos...8/#entry7852624

#15 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 17:01

Pity.

If you don't post em Barry, you'll have to email them to each of us becuase we're all dying to see them!

#16 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 17:24

Thanks, Richard, I've got it now.

The next three picture are included because when we were stuck at Le Mans, it was only a few weeks after the 24 hour race.  Francois drove us around the full circuit and stopped at the point where Jo Bonnier had his dreadful accident.

Roger Doran and myself can be seen by the barrier with the skid marks on the road and the damaged armco visible.  Roger's plastered foot is the legacy from trying to push start a racing car while positioned between the front and rear wheels.  You must jump out of the way very very quickly, and Roger didn't!

new12.jpg

new13.jpg

The third photo was taken some yards into the trees and shows one of the trees that the flying Lola hit on its way down.  The floral tributes were still there, as were numerous tiny pieces of yellow fibreglass.

new14.jpg

Enough of that.  Back to Connew pictures soon.

Edited by Barry Boor, 08 July 2020 - 17:26.

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 20:23

Looking forward to taking advantage of your newfound skill, Barry...

Good to see you've outlived the shame.

#18 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 21:49

The next three picture are included because when we were stuck at Le Mans, it was only a few weeks after the 24 hour race.  Francois drove us around the full circuit and stopped at the point where Jo Bonnier had his dreadful accident.

new12.jpg

Same place ( and circumstances ) that Mike Rockenfeller had his huge shunt in 2011. The difference being that the Armco had been replaced with concrete wall which deflected the car back across the track rather than launching it into the trees. 

#19 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 21:51

You need the one "Direct link"

Capture.jpg

Which gives you this:

Tish-D-Sat.jpg

Advertisement

#20 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:01

You need the one "Direct link"

Doesn't look like the Connew to me :lol:

#21 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:11

Many thanks for posting the images. I remember the Connew very well ; this is a very interesting thread.

#22 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:06

Okay, back to the plot.....

We have but one photograph of the car at the British Grand Prix that was actually taken by ourselves - rather busy to be faffing about with cameras.  This is it:

new10.jpg

Quite why the car ran without the airbox has never been recalled by any of us.

Peter reminded me, just two days ago, that we tested at Goodwood.  Apparently it cost him £37.50 for a half day.  Doesn't sound like much but it was more than I was earning in a week!  It's odd, but I have absolutely no memory of that test session although subsequent photos will show that I was definitely there.

As you will see, this must have been after the British G.P. because the car is still carrying it's Brands number.

new6.jpg

new11.jpg

As can be seen from the upper picture, we ran the car with the 'other' nose.  Why?  No idea I'm afraid but here is Francois about to head out with the other nose (I only ever made two!) no wings and no airbox.

new5.jpg

This second nose was smashed when Tony Trimmer hit the armco at Stirlings Bend, Brands Hatch in 1973.  So now we only have the one.  No doubt the rag fell off the oil cooler duct as he drove away.

Edited by Barry Boor, 09 July 2020 - 08:08.

#23 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 223 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:50

Barry, many thanks from me too (and to all that share their images)

I was surprised you were struggling as I see you as one of the more prolific posters here, but very glad that you have it sorted :)

#24 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:53

Doesn't look like the Connew to me :lol:

No, it's the daughter of rallycross stalwart David Potter...

#25 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:09

Oily rag collection is the reponsibility of the team's gofer. Shoddy work.

#26 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:11

At this test session I guess that would've been me.

#27 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,754 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:20

Impromptu aero testing device.  If it stayed there, the wind was deflected over it.

#28 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:22

There was no superglue in 1972.

#29 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:37

Two more pictures from that Goodwood test.  Mr. Connew himself was behind the camera but basically you are looking at the whole team - Dorans, Senior and Junior and a long-haired school teacher from the east end of London.

new1.jpg

Ron Doran (senior) was our welder, and a damn fine one too.  Roger (junior) was chief mechanic and from what I've learned about race mechanics, was of exactly the right character for the job.  God help all the other mechanics (me) if things were not done correctly.

new2.jpg

Shame that Francois seems to have made himself scarce when these were taken.  Probably off somewhere looking for a lady to charm!

#30 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:43

Ron Doran (senior) was our welder, and a damn fine one too.

And all that with his arms folded at all times - I'm impressed! :lol:

Seriously, cracking good pics, Barry, keep'em coming!!

#31 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:53

These are fantastic, thanks Barry

#32 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 13:43

Just love the reality of the contemporary Goodwood pits - and pit lane...  Come 1997-98 we didn't dare reopen the circuit for the first Revival Meeting literally "...as it was".   :blush: 

Super stuff Barry.  Thank you.

DCN

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 13:49

Well, Doug, 'twas your good self that shamed me into learning and using the image programme, do thanks for that.

#34 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,754 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 13:56

Just a quick note that there was at least one graphical upgrade between the GP and Goodwood - Capricorn got a more high-profile decal on the cooler.

#35 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 14:11

This would be a difficult one to explain because this must be between Brands and Germany because when we pitched up there, there were no numbers on the car but it still said Capricorn on the cooler ducts. Two weeks later in Austria, Sapal was back.

Maybe Jean Migault has stumped up a few more francs.

#36 BRG

BRG

• 25,897 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:16

Just love the reality of the contemporary Goodwood pits - and pit lane...  

It is certainly bringing back memories of the sprints and rallies we did there in those curious days between closure and revival of the circuit.  It was shabby and a little neglected but still functional.

#37 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:48

Fabulous pictures Barry!  I first read about the Connew in one of Doug Nye's books and later found your excellent account of it on t'internet. I contacted you many many moons ago and we said it would be great to see it in one piece again, I never imagined it would be looking so good at Goodwood  ##years later! :up:

When you consider the state of some better funded (and presumably staffed!) enterprises around at the time it is an extremely handsome car and well put together.

Now Peter just needs to get hold of a Working DFV and Hewland! 

#38 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:52

Whisper it, we've already got a gearbox.

#39 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:02

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#40 10kDA

10kDA

• 978 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 18:57

Thanks for posting these pics!

#41 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 19:13

To end this little reminder of a gallant failure, here are two photos from the two final failures.

First, Francois is about to go out to practice at the Rothmans 50,000 in August at Brands Hatch - whereupon, the engine failed.  Welder Ron Doran oversees the moment.

new7.jpg

As is well known by those who have any memory of those days....  lol...  it was Charlie Purley, the owner of Lec Refrigeration, who paid for the rebuild of the DFV and the car was entered for his son David at the Victory race - Brands again - in October.  Naturally, the car was repainted in Lec's dark blue and red colours.  (Which, incidentally, Peter Connew never liked,  He likes red racing cars!)

The final picture shows David in the pit lane with the ubiquitous Ron Doran and myself by the front wheel and our 'accountant' and general dog's body Don Strachan on the rear.

Of course, the car didn't race because a wire that connected to the kill switch that David insisted upon, snagged on the steering column and broke on the parade lap.

new8.jpg

End of story.

#42 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 19:31

Okay, back to the plot.....

We have but one photograph of the car at the British Grand Prix that was actually taken by ourselves - rather busy to be faffing about with cameras. This is it:

new10.jpg

Quite why the car ran without the airbox has never been recalled by any of us.

Peter reminded me, just two days ago, that we tested at Goodwood. Apparently it cost him £37.50 for a half day. Doesn't sound like much but it was more than I was earning in a week! It's odd, but I have absolutely no memory of that test session although subsequent photos will show that I was definitely there.
As you will see, this must have been after the British G.P. because the car is still carrying it's Brands number.

new6.jpg

As can be seen from the upper picture, we ran the car with the 'other' nose. Why? No idea I'm afraid but here is Francois about to head out with the other nose (I only ever made two!) no wings and no airbox.

I wonder, given that somewhere along the way between the British GP and Rothmans 50,000 you were hoping to win sufficient funds to get to the Italian GP, if this was a speculative 'Monza' spec ?

#43 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 20:17

I'm sure we weren't thinking anything like that far ahead, Ralph. As the red nose is on the car at Goodwood, I expect that we just weren't bothering to move the wings over. Remember, we only had the one pair.

I think the main purpose of the Goodwood test was to check that the engine was running cleanly, having had its fuel lines reconnected correctly by Brabham mechanics at the Grand Prix.

#44 10kDA

10kDA

• 978 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 20:25

Failure? Well... there's a website called:

https://www.unracedf1.com/

...And a Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia...hat_never_raced

...That have no mention of the Connew. That's more than some can say.

#45 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:52

Failure? Well... there's a website called:

https://www.unracedf1.com/

...And a Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia...hat_never_raced

...That have no mention of the Connew. That's more than some can say.

The car was raced, was it one or two GPs? 

Even if with little success it made the grid.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 10 July 2020 - 08:53.

#46 68targa

68targa

• 1,134 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:04

Failure  ?  No way, at least you had a go.  I was at Brands with my camera for practice and  looking at the photos later I saw just how sleek the Connew was compared with some of the others. It did (and still does) look 'right'.  Far better looking than the Techno, Matra  and March offerings although they had a lot more resources.  This was a time when someone could build a Grand Prix contender in a lockup (or a garage in Chadwell Heath) and have a go.  Really interesting to see your photos and comments thanks.

#47 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:54

Enjoying these pictures, Barry!

#48 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:22

Roger Doran and myself can be seen by the barrier with the skid marks on the road and the damaged armco visible.  Roger's plastered foot is the legacy from trying to push start a racing car while positioned between the front and rear wheels.  You must jump out of the way very very quickly, and Roger didn't!

new12.jpg

new13.jpg

The third photo was taken some yards into the trees and shows one of the trees that the flying Lola hit on its way down.  The floral tributes were still there, as were numerous tiny pieces of yellow fibreglass.

new14.jpg

Enough of that.  Back to Connew pictures soon.

These photos are interesting but chilling, Barry, aren't they? Poor Jo, a two-layer barrier isn't going to help much once a car is even partially airborne.

I think the skid marks must be from Vetsch's Daytona, as it was shunted to the left of the track when hit by Bonnier. The Lola presumably climbed up the back of the Daytona and flew off left.

#49 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:33

Yes, John, your analysis is accurate.
When we walked into the clearing where the Lola came down it was frightening to see how high the car had flown, evinced by the height of broken branches on some of the trees.

#50 Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne

• 179 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:20

Thank Barry for sharing your photos and your experiences.