Photo
- - - - -

2020 Grosser Preis der Steiermark Race Day Thread.

• Please log in to reply
1299 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll. 2020 Styrian Grand Prix (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Race Winner (Pick one)

1. Hamilton (94 votes [69.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.63%

2. Bottas (10 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

3. Verstappen (28 votes [20.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.74%

4. Someone else (3 votes [2.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

Who will be a surprise podium finisher

1. Sainz (46 votes [34.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.07%

2. Ocon (9 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. Albon (24 votes [17.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

4. Gasly (3 votes [2.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

5. Norris (13 votes [9.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.63%

6. Ricciardo (6 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

7. Vettel (5 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

8. Russell (4 votes [2.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

9. Leclerc (4 votes [2.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

10. Someone else (21 votes [15.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 20:39

Sorry all, this Race Day Thread will have to be a very succinct version of the build up thread. Indycar beckons.

After what looked likely to be a disastrous qualifying day, we had one of the best hours of F1 television seen in a long time. Hamilton and Verstappen, like blow by blow prize fighters but fighting over milliseconds for supremacy.

The Styrian Grand Prix. Enjoy the race all.

The-top-three-cars-after-qualifying-for-
792ni9r569a51.png

The Grid after applied penalties

Formula-1-2020-Styrian-GP-Results-Formul

Tyres

As there was no dry running today, all drivers have a full complement of Pirellis. C2, C3 and C4. Pirelli's projected favoured strategy,

3840-BDB3-ECC9-4-CED-A009-C94-F7-E19274-

Weather

Weather-forecast-for-A1-Ring-Circuit-Mot

Qualifying Highlights

The Pole Lap

Enjoy all and don't forget the poll. Bear in mind that your votes are outed.

Edited by milestone 11, 12 July 2020 - 00:56.

Advertisement

#2 KevR

KevR

• 459 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 20:52

It'll be a walk in the park for Mercedes.

Sainz a surprise podium finisher.

#3 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 20:55

Not sure that Sainz finishing on the podium would be a surprise

#4 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 21:02

Anyone lingering in the top 4 can win. They will use any excuse they can to throw a conveniently timed Safety Car again as it provided so much spice last week.

Edited by Jordan44, 11 July 2020 - 21:05.

#5 BertoC

BertoC

• 1,661 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 21:05

If there's the same rate of dnf's of last week, anyone can win really.

#6 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:02

You jinxed it. :(

#7 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,794 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:26

Anyone lingering in the top 4 can win. They will use any excuse they can to throw a conveniently timed Safety Car again as it provided so much spice last week.

Did we watch the same race last weekend?  :lol:

#8 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:28

Did we watch the same race last weekend? :lol:

Let's be honest, Lewis contact saved Bottas bacon.

Safety Car is likely to happen again, and the timing could make anything happen, especially if it's right after Mercedes already pit or something.

#9 KevR

KevR

• 459 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:46

You jinxed it. :(

If I jinxed the Mercedes part, then I don't mind at all :)

#10 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:55

Has no one who watched the last decade of racing caught this?

Hamilton might nap for 1 race.

You beat him and piss him off.

He flounders around in practice trying to find the worst way to destroy you for ruining his zen.

He destroys you in qualifying.

He destrous you in the race.

Unless Verstappen crashes into him in the first corner Lewis wlll take the win coz we ruined his last weekend. 

Rosberg won in 2016 because he won and kept things close in the first 2 races and sucker punched him in the third(points wise). Then belgium and malaysia he dropped form because you can't win everything and the malaysia retirement sealed it. Lewis made that mistake once...and you ruined his last weekend. I hope you're happy. The big question this weekend is, is the merc compromised and is DragonballZ Lewis gonna break it. How calm can a furious angry lewis be. My money is on racing having a bad day. Coz if It's dry, Lewis will show us just how fast that merc is.

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 11 July 2020 - 22:56.

#11 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 23:05

I've kinda stopped being concerned about merc winning all the time now.

With so many great characters so close in the midfield, the surprise podium finisher is really exciting for me.

#12 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 00:13

Track is gonna be pretty green - any chance that may throw a curveball for any teams?

( clutching at straws here I know...)

#13 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 00:16

This is quite the hot take.

It's quite exciting that we don't know what tyres the leaders are going to start on. I've got no doubt that they'll be trying to pre-empt each other.

#14 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 00:54

I'm looking forward to seeing what Leclerc can do from 14th on the grid.

In amongst the Hamilton/Verstappen wet weather heroics, it's been a little forgotten how brilliant Charles was last race. In a car that is clearly gutless and sub par.

No doubt some opportunities will come in the race.

#15 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 00:55

Despite all the BS about reverse grids, I am very excited about this race. I hope we finally get a titanic 1v1 battle between Max and Lewy on equal footing.

#16 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,624 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:18

What settings were they using for qualifying? The only one I heard about, LeClerc, said he was on complete dry settings. It could make a significant difference (not for LeClerc, he's farked), but for the top 5-6?  

#17 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:22

I think they would have all been on dry settings tbh, as no rain is forecast for Sunday

#18 KevR

KevR

• 459 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:30

What settings were they using for qualifying? The only one I heard about, LeClerc, said he was on complete dry settings. It could make a significant difference (not for LeClerc, he's farked), but for the top 5-6?

You mean Leclerc? I'd be surprised if anyone used a wet setup, as everyone knew the race would be bone dry.

The current forecast for the afternoon is 20 deg. C., partly cloudy and a light breeze of 2m/s.

Edit: yeah, krapmeister beat me to it

Edited by KevR, 12 July 2020 - 02:31.

#19 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:57

Ferrari are running less wing, to try compensate somewhat for their gutless PU. Perhaps that's what you mean, as that would have been far from optimal for a wet qualifying session.

Advertisement

#20 keshav

keshav

• 2,744 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:35

Anyone with a new set of soft boots after a late SC can win!

#21 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,336 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:06

Track will be green so should negate some of the dirty side starting disadvantage for Max, and a long run to T1. After last weekend’s no points race for Max, I wonder if he will be in the mindset of taking big risks in order not to slip further behind in championship points, or conversely he will think about taking less risk lest another DNF will put him behind at a big deficit, and that too if the DNF comes against a clash with Lewis who is far from the points leader at the moment.

Lewis will likely be thinking the same. For Valtteri, his dream would be that both of them clash, putting him in a very strong position for the championship.

#22 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:10

Want Max to win, though I know the Mercs are going to run off into the distance (only a matter of time before Bottas climbs to P2). I hope Ferrari's 'upgrades' work in the dry and Seb is at least not fighting the car all the way through, this time. 

#23 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:27

I hope its a wet race throughout. And unpredictable. Otherwise, it's gonna be a Merc parade. 

#24 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:29

Verstappen and Hamilton will take each other out in the first corner, then it'll be Bottas cruising to the win.

#25 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:59

I've kinda stopped being concerned about merc winning all the time now.

With so many great characters so close in the midfield, the surprise podium finisher is really exciting for me.

Was looking forward to the race between Macca and TRacing .... but sadly TRacing didnt perform in the wet yesterday .... but that should be for us an all season long struggle to keep us entertained.  

Edited by jjcale, 12 July 2020 - 06:04.

#26 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:02

Despite all the BS about reverse grids, I am very excited about this race. I hope we finally get a titanic 1v1 battle between Max and Lewy on equal footing.

If last week is anything to go by, I dont see that at all ... the Merc looks a rocketship this year.

#27 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,623 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:51

Lewis will get screwed by a safety car along the way. It went so well yesterday it will go disastrous for him today. Its Austria!

#28 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:58

If Merc have really fixed their sensor issues expecting them both to rocket off into the distance

#29 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,995 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:01

If last week is anything to go by, I dont see that at all ... the Merc looks a rocketship this year.

In qualifying trim yes, but in race trim I didn’t you see anything last week to suggest the Mercs will just cruise away from Max. I’m quite optimistic that we’ll see a good battle for the lead/win between Lewis and Max this race, although I’d say Lewis is the favourite.

#30 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:15

If Hamilton and Max are still 1 and 2 after T4 then I'd expect Max to keep up somewhat, but not seriously threaten Hamilton.

The other way around I'd say Hamilton can attack Max either on track or through strategy.

Safety cars (sort of inevitable nowadays) can also be interesting if it turns into a game of the driver behind doing the opposite.

I guess it might also depend on which car is told to stay off the kerbs the most. Verstappen retired through it last week and Mercedes was seriously worried about suffering the same fate.

Ah who are we kidding. Sainz leading after lap 1.

#31 Beri

Beri

• 11,658 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:15

In qualifying trim yes, but in race trim I didn’t you see anything last week to suggest the Mercs will just cruise away from Max. I’m quite optimistic that we’ll see a good battle for the lead/win between Lewis and Max this race, although I’d say Lewis is the favourite.

This 👍🏻

#32 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 640 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:21

I'm expecting multiple SC's today, last week they forgot they had this thing called the virtual safety car.

Any chance to condense the pack or punish the leading drivers, race control will take any chance they can get.

#33 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:25

To specify: Bottas’ racepace was comparable to Verstappen. Hamilton however was much faster.

#34 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:31

To specify: Bottas’ racepace was comparable to Verstappen. Hamilton however was much faster.

But Verstappen was on the mediums and Lewis on the softs, right? And I also think (and hope he was that sensible!) that Verstappen did not try to be as fast as or even faster than Bottas, but keep him at just the right arm's length to preserve his tires?

Edited by Nemo1965, 12 July 2020 - 07:32.

#35 Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet

• 1,174 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:32

Well, what I saw was both Mercs having to tiptoe round, and still being comfortably quicker than anyone else. If they don't have the tech issues or any incidents, yes, they will disappear into the distance out front.

#36 Beri

Beri

• 11,658 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:37

Well, what I saw was both Mercs having to tiptoe round, and still being comfortably quicker than anyone else. If they don't have the tech issues or any incidents, yes, they will disappear into the distance out front.

When they started tiptoeing, Albon was the only real threat. Imagine it being Verstappen.. now that would have been actually fun

#37 Kleli

Kleli

• 460 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:39

This will be an easy dominant win for Hamilton and Mercedes. They still have at least 0.5 second advantage over Verstappen at this sort track. I can't see Merc being any less competitive than last weekend. Only difference is Hamilton in front instead of Bottas this time around.

#38 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:41

It would have been a race if the 1-2 had been reversed, but as it is I don't see the RB has the pace to keep up with, let alone pass, the Merc.  Most of the interest will probably happen further down the pack I fear.  Easy win for Hamilton.  Keen to see whether McLaren can keep their momentum and Vettel claims to be more comfortable with this week's car so let's see if he can do anything.  

#39 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:48

If it’s raining it’s not going to be an easy win for anyone. The most skilled drivers who can keep it on track and show their car control wet will come out best, hope it rains all race and we can se drivers skill come into play, Max has a great chance if its wet against Hamilton. Even if it’s mixed conditions max has a great chance to win if he keeps his composure and don’t drive to aggressive. Strategy could also come into play.

Advertisement

#40 Beri

Beri

• 11,658 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:49

It would have been a race if the 1-2 had been reversed, but as it is I don't see the RB has the pace to keep up with, let alone pass, the Merc. Most of the interest will probably happen further down the pack I fear. Easy win for Hamilton. Keen to see whether McLaren can keep their momentum and Vettel claims to be more comfortable with this week's car so let's see if he can do anything.

A win from pole position has only occurred 5 times iirc since 1997 on this track. This includes Bottas' win last week.

#41 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:51

A win from pole position has only occurred 5 times iirc since 1997 on this track. This includes Bottas' win last week.

well SCs could mix things up of course but that's hard to predict.  On pure performance it's a slam dunk

#42 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:52

They just like to make it sound like the car drives for Hamilton and it’s easy for him, don’t like to give him credit even before a race they are doom and gloom and very negative. As seen in practice redbull could have the pace here to win this weekend.

#43 renzmann

renzmann

• 5,993 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:53

I may have overanalyzed the s*** out of this, but I think it's reasonable to assume RBR has made a huge step this week. Lots of improvements aero-wise as well as a more balanced car. In race pace, this might give them at least two tenths.

I agree with those who point out that Verstappen keeping up with Bottas on mediums may have been a flattering picture. It could be that Verstappen drove too aggressive, while Bottas was cruising.

Still, my guess (!) is Verstappen doesn't rely on winning the first corner. Hamilton may be quick enough to get him out of DRS range, but I'd be surprised if Hamilton will cruise away. Verstappen will have chances whenever something unusal happens. If RBR and Merc won't have technical difficulties, I give Verstappen a 30% chance of winning.

#44 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:54

well SCs could mix things up of course but that's hard to predict. On pure performance it's a slam dunk

No it’s not redbull already shown they got the pace in practice this weekend. It’s mostly going to come down to driving ability, stop being so negative and trying to down play Hamilton all the time even before the race has started, this is f1 and anything can happen. Try be a bit more positive eh

#45 276159

• 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:56

Expect a boring race, as Toto already began the sandbagging in the media.

Lewis p1
Max p2 +25sec
Bottas p3 +5sec
Sainz p4 +1lap
Albon p5

Merc is still a rocketship for the seventh year in a row. If only Toto wouldn't cry about issues and problems so much in the media like if they have a Williams car.

#46 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:02

They just like to make it sound like the car drives for Hamilton and it’s easy for him, don’t like to give him credit even before a race they are doom and gloom and very negative. As seen in practice redbull could have the pace here to win this weekend.

Or it's simply a realistic acknowledgement that he's a top driver in clearly the best car starting from the front so only a mishap will likely prevent that combo from winning.  

#47 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,258 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:03

Hard to see past a Hamilton win, BUT you never know

#48 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:05

Looks like no rain for the race? https://www.myweathe...ng-Circuit.aspx

#49 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:07

No it’s not redbull already shown they got the pace in practice this weekend. It’s mostly going to come down to driving ability, stop being so negative and trying to down play Hamilton all the time even before the race has started, this is f1 and anything can happen. Try be a bit more positive eh

They. haven't shown themselves to be quicker than Mercedes, let's get real.  I think I'm not being negative, just realistic.  On paper it would need some external influence to prevent Lewis from cruising to victory.  I don't think we should pretend we believe something different?  

You seem to think it's a knock on Hamilton: it's not.  He's a top driver.  But if he couldn't beat Bottas last weekend at the same track, despite IMO being better than Bottas, then I don't see a high probability of Max beating Hamilton in an inferior car.  Of course a SC or two could mix that up but since that's hard to predict I'm not including it.

#50 Beri

Beri

• 11,658 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:10

It's clear that Red Bull were fast in the free practices. If anything, the qualifying was not saying anything. Hamilton wasn't 1.2s faster than Verstappen. He only was timed perfectly on track position and Verstappen made his mistake. I think it would have been a deficit of 0.3s maximum. Which, in the rain, doesn't tell anything.

If Verstappens car remains intact, the race could be a strategic and interesting one.