• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#1 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:32

219rcr9cqcd51.jpg

https://www.reddit.c..._to_be_antivax/

Explanation for those who might be perplexed as to what Bill Gates is doing in Hamilton's post: "There is a belief out there that corporations are using the Corona Virus as an excuse to plant small microchips into you with the vaccine and that Bill Gates is the man behind it. It's honestly the dumbest thing to ever exist and yet some people are eating it up."

Personally, I think this is both very sad and harmful at the same time. It seems Novak Djokovic is not the only highly influential sports superstar who spreads utter ignorance and wildly unscientific nonsense.

Advertisement

#2 masa90

masa90

• 2,032 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:35

Oh no. Not this conspiracy stuff to F1 too please! Every social media is full of that stuff these days.

#3 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:38

This stuff is super harmful, I hope IG remove the post and Lewis goes and takes a long hard look in the mirror. He needs to get off social media and stick to driving for a while.

#4 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:38

Ok Lewis now has to say he's an antifa, a feminist and a [insert random strange religion here] to unlock the "full alternativist" trophy

#5 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:40

Idiot, just like Djokovic.

Edited by Jovanotti, 27 July 2020 - 08:40.

#6 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:42

t0476bf_aluminum-foil-hat.jpg

#7 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 3,921 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:44

What a day to be alive, first a thread about possible cheating with merc engines and now a conspiracy thread with lewis hamilton. That will be enough reading till friday haha

#8 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:44

Can't seem to find it. Has he delete it?

#9 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:45

Can't seem to find it. Has he delete it?

It appeared in his IG stories, not as a post.

#10 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:47

if his statements and ideas from the last couple of weeks weren't dumb enough, then this one seals it.

Ignore this guy.

#11 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:48

Ah, ok. Thanks. I hope he doesn't start using his fame to spread harmful misinformation like that.

#12 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,633 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:48

He didn't actually make the post or caption, he "reposted" it, or whatever. For some reason I think there's a big misunderstanding going on, or he didn't realise what he was posting. I don't think Hamilton is anti-vax.

#13 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:49

I think we've heard enough crap from Djokovic.

So, what actually did Lewis have to say on the subject as from the OP I can't tell what his opinion is.  What was the video about?  Was he fully in support of it, or questioning / laughing it?  If he's one of the  anti-vaxxer lot he'd be one of the many who need to give it a rest with the **** they lap up on social media.

#14 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:53

He didn't actually make the post or caption, he "reposted" it, or whatever. For some reason I think there's a big misunderstanding going on, or he didn't realise what he was posting. I don't think Hamilton is anti-vax.

He needs to come out and explain and denounce it immediately, 18 million people follow Hamilton.

#15 Beri

Beri

• 11,624 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:53

Its a pitty that Lewis is nailing it in F1. Otherwise he could be ticked off by Mercedes or any F1 pundit for sticking his attention to driving instead of being such an active figure on Instagram.

#16 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:54

It appeared in his IG stories, not as a post.

I hope you don't follow his IG, I'm a fan and I know not to follow that rubbish. 😂

#17 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,358 posts

Is that real or fake?

#18 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,307 posts

Don’t use social media, what’s the difference between him posting something and it appearing in his Story?

Is Hamilton really promoting anti-vaxxers and their views?

#19 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Lewis posted a story that belongs to another guy who captioned the Bill Gates video, where he talks about the side effects of the coronavirus vaccine, as "I remember when I told my first lie smiley face." Lewis does not make any comment on the story. He doesn't say if he endorses or dismisses it. I don't know how stories work, so I'm a bit in the dark here, but the person who originally posted the video seems to be a subscriber to the dumb Bill Gates-microchips conspiracy. I just cannot fathom Lewis would be dumb enough to echo him. I just don't want to, I think. This is the dumbest of dumbest territory, this Bill Gates-microchip narrative. Utter bullocks. Hope Lewis clarifies what he meant. Otherwise it does seem to be an endorsement. What a ****ed up world.

Advertisement

#20 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:55

When I read "Lewis Hamilton comes out" I was preparing myself for something else.

Idm people believing in conspiracy theories or whatever. and I'm not sure if Lewis is actually anti-vax since this wasnt even directly his post anyway and it wouldnt really fit to him, but sharing this is always bad because just like with Djokovic it will make many of his supporters blindly follow it. This is all in the end a good thing if it's about enviroment, racism, etc., but not for this stuff, no matter the intention.

Edited by Marklar, 27 July 2020 - 08:56.

#21 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:57

I hope you don't follow his IG, I'm a fan and I know not to follow that rubbish.

I think it's been picked up by the OP from reddit (another cesspit of the online world).  However for now it is only with the OPs context added in.  Need more meat on the bones.... although Lewis would be against that.  ;)  If it is what he believes then it's a strong bit of muppetry. 

#22 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,475 posts

I'm absolutely gutted about this. Whilst I've always been a Ferrari fan, I'm a big fan of Lewis and I've always found him to be an inspiring figure. I've spent a lot of money on his merchandise over the years, from the Merc caps to his crossover with Tommy Hilfiger.

That said...this really hurts. I'm a scientist by trade and I'm astonished he's posted something this dangerous on social media. Hopefully someone at Mercedes gives him a bit of a talking to. Just imagine your biggest ambassador sharing such dangerous views.

#23 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

When a world leader retweets/reposts something the explanation of a 'misunderstanding' doesn't fly but when Lewis Hamilton does it 'he didn't realise what he was posting'  :drunk:

Edited by statman, 27 July 2020 - 08:57.

#24 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Unfortunately this will only get worse. People treat celebrities (fashion, sports etc) as authorities in all aspects of life and science. Only because they are famous. Some sort of malfunction of the human brain. Number of followers more important than number of scientific papers.

Edited by doc83, 27 July 2020 - 09:06.

#25 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 3,921 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:58

Is that real or fake?

Its real, i follow him on IG and its in his stories.

#26 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:58

He needs to come out and explain and denounce it immediately, 18 million people follow Hamilton.

I agree. On a side note, I really admire your approach. It is very rare when a fan doesn't start to rationalise a controversial statement/action of the celebrity in question.

Kudos and hats off to you, good Sir  :up:  :up:  

#27 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,902 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:59

Well when you have a young man who is exceptionally good at driving a racing car, and people are as a result willing to give great weight to commentary he makes or shares about fields entirely beyond his expertise, it will have the potential to end poorly. I blame society.

#28 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:02

Well when you have a young man who is exceptionally good at driving a racing car, and people are as a result willing to give great weight to commentary he makes or shares about fields entirely beyond his expertise, it will have the potential to end poorly. I blame society.

I see your point but I don't agree that we are talking about a linear connection here. You can't see Marc Márquez or Max Verstappen advocating such things.

#29 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,633 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:03

When a world leader retweets/reposts something the explanation of a 'misunderstanding' doesn't fly but when Lewis Hamilton does it 'he didn't realise what he was posting'  :drunk:

LH will be roundly criticised anyway, I'm just trying to explain what I think has happened.

I agree w Yamamoto's post - social media is a plague.

#30 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 3,085 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:04

I really hope it's not what we think it is.

Not only is anti-vax dangerous, Hamilton advocating it undermines the good things he stands for.

#31 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,902 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:05

I see your point but I don't agree that we are talking about a linear connection here. You can't see Marc Márquez or Max Verstappen advocating such things.

I'm not entirely sure where we disagree, to be honest, my last sentence was intended to be flippant.

#32 baddog

baddog

• 29,736 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:05

I hope this is a mistake, as in he posted carelessly without actually realising that the content was this kind of thing, and he comes out to clarify and say he does not hold such views.

#33 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,648 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:07

F1 faces an existential threat from this virus (and obviously more besides, but we're in RC), giving platforms to anti vax cranks is massively dangerous. It looks weird in the context of being right next to praising his brother but I am very old and don't understand Instagram stories so that might be on me. 

Either way, this either needs urgent clarification.

#34 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:08

Hopefully someone at Mercedes gives him a bit of a talking to. Just imagine your biggest ambassador sharing such dangerous views.

Fully agree he needs to come out and retract/rectify this statement publicly. These are dangerous BS conspiracy theories of the highest order.

Edited by Jovanotti, 27 July 2020 - 09:08.

#35 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:09

I hope this is a mistake, as in he posted carelessly without actually realising that the content was this kind of thing, and he comes out to clarify and say he does not hold such views.

Yep, he needs to explain his stance otherwise he looks like an anti-vaxx twit.

#36 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,297 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:09

What a helmet. Anti-vaxx stuff is extremely harmful so I hope his employers warn him off sharing rubbish like this.

#37 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 932 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:12

When a world leader retweets/reposts something the explanation of a 'misunderstanding' doesn't fly

but when Lewis Hamilton does it 'he didn't realise what he was posting'  :drunk:

He even posted the same message twice in a row without realizing what he actually posted! :D

https://www.instagra...01135427442712/

https://www.instagra...01148010313467/

#38 aliefbielefeld

aliefbielefeld

• 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:16

Now he's an antivaxxer as well, WOW! As if people needs a reason to hate him even more. And he's also the face of the sport, F1 seriously needs to rethink about their stance of defending Hamilton's actions. 

#39 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:16

Well, he has the right to his opinion, like everybody else.

Advertisement

#40 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:17

I think it's been picked up by the OP from reddit (another cesspit of the online world).  However for now it is only with the OPs context added in.  Need more meat on the bones.... although Lewis would be against that.   ;)  If it is what he believes then it's a strong bit of muppetry. 

Look, let's call a spade a spade. You simply don't repost things you don't agree or identify with. If you are reposting something without reading it first, then you are an irresponsible idiot at the best of times. However, if you repost/add something to your story feed that is followed by millions, you do that do make a statement. I know this feels **** as an intelligent fan of Lewis, but it what it is.

I don't know if you heard about Tennys Sandgren. The guy is a tennis player from the US who became a household name in the tennis following community after he made a very deep run at the Australian Open a few years ago. As he became suddenly famous for his surprisingly good and frankly, out-of-nowhere performance on the court, it shed light on his social media which turned out to be quite the stuff. He followed and reposted content from well-known white supremacists and radical right-wing organisations regularly. When questioned about it, he used the same excuses you were trying to make here - he just reposted it, it needs more context, not everything is what it seems at first, so on and so forth. But you know, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Sandgren ended up getting a lot of s**t for his social media content (very deservedly so), and he needed to delete/block his accounts and is not a very well-liked figure of the tour ever since.

#41 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:18

Lewis posted a story that belongs to another guy who captioned the Bill Gates video, where he talks about the side effects of the coronavirus vaccine, as "I remember when I told my first lie smiley face." Lewis does not make any comment on the story. He doesn't say if he endorses or dismisses it. I don't know how stories work, so I'm a bit in the dark here, but the person who originally posted the video seems to be a subscriber to the dumb Bill Gates-microchips conspiracy. I just cannot fathom Lewis would be dumb enough to echo him. I just don't want to, I think. This is the dumbest of dumbest territory, this Bill Gates-microchip narrative. Utter bullocks. Hope Lewis clarifies what he meant. Otherwise it does seem to be an endorsement. What a fucked up world.

Usually, re-posting something without comment is an endorsement unless you've added anything else to it.

#42 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,902 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:19

il_fullxfull.1356529653_l1o9.jpg?version

At the risk of being slightly distasteful, perhaps the drivers could wear these at the next race.

#43 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:20

It will be interesting to read his opinion on it.  He'd go down in my estimation if he lapped up that sort of crap.  Although the OP has made their mind up (and this is "another reason to 'hate' Hamilton"), I'd hope for his sake they were off-base with their assumptions.

#44 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,738 posts

Sure,but not his own facts.

And others can have an opinion that he is a moron (if he believes what he posted).

#45 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Usually, re-posting something without comment is an endorsement unless you've added anything else to it.

I bet this will be made a mistake, PR-guy gone rogue, etc.

Edited by w00dy, 27 July 2020 - 09:20.

#46 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:22

Look, let's call a spade a spade. You simply don't repost things you don't agree or identify with. If you are reposting something without reading it first, then you are an irresponsible idiot at the best of times. However, if you repost/add something to your story feed that is followed by millions, you do that do make a statement. I know this feels **** as an intelligent fan of Lewis, but it what it is.

I don't know if you heard about Tennys Sandgren. The guy is a tennis player from the US who became a household name in the tennis following community after he made a very deep run at the Australian Open a few years ago. As he became suddenly famous for his surprisingly good and frankly, out-of-nowhere performance on the court, it shed light on his social media which turned out to be quite the stuff. He followed and reposted content from well-known white supremacists and radical right-wing organisations regularly. When questioned about it, he used the same excuses you were trying to make here - he just reposted it, it needs more context, not everything is what it seems at first, so on and so forth. But you know, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Sandgren ended up getting a lot of s**t for his social media content (very deservedly so), and he needed to delete/block his accounts and is not a very well-liked figure of the tour ever since.

A tennis player called Tennys?  There's a man who didn't have a lot of choice in his career growing up!

Agree that reposting stuff without any supplementary commentary is effectively the same as endorsing it.  Which is not good, tbh.  Not for someone who knows there are people who will hang onto his every word.

#47 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

I bet this will be made a mistake, PR-guy gone rogue, etc.

I don't know, it seems fairly in character for Lewis lately.

#48 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Indeed, posting with no comment does give a strong whiff to sharing such nonsesne.  The ball is in Hamilton's court to clarify.  The anti-vaxx lot are a dangerous bunch of cranks.  I certainly hope the assumption of him being among them is not quite what it appears for now...

#49 ANF

ANF

• 29,349 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:24

When I read "Lewis Hamilton comes out" I was preparing myself for something else.
Idm people believing in conspiracy theories or whatever. and I'm not sure if Lewis is actually anti-vax since this wasnt even directly his post anyway and it wouldnt really fit to him, but sharing this is always bad because just like with Djokovic it will make many of his supporters blindly follow it. This is all in the end a good thing if it's about enviroment, racism, etc., but not for this stuff, no matter the intention.

Indeed. Lewis Hamilton hasn't come out as anti-vaxxer/conspiracy theorist, so perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to "Lewis Hamilton reposts anti-vaxxer/conspiracy theorist meme".

#50 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:24

I don't know, it seems fairly in character for Lewis lately.

His stance against racism, pro-diverity is a conspiracy theory?  Nah, this would jump a very big shark.  In character, most of his musings are about being socially responsible.  This would be the reverse.  In fact given he's quite pro-mask wearing, this wouldn't fit with the anti-vaxx lot who think this whole thing is one big conspiracy for control.

Edited by P123, 27 July 2020 - 09:25.