Photo

Faster! A Racer’s Diary, by Peter Manso and Jackie Stewart (1972)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:00

I've been writing about the 1972 season recently, and Stewart appears to have lost his edge for part of that year, before regaining it in time to win the championship in 1973.

Part of the reason was illness, but I also read that he was affected by the reaction from his fans to his book 'Faster!'.  Can anyone tell me more about that?  I know he was exceedingly rude about some of his fellow drivers, and his "cornering is like bringing a woman to climax" was not to all tastes, but was there more to it than that?

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:06

JYS's driving affected by "reactiofrom his fans to his book"?

What springs to mind is the phrase "Dream on"...   :confused: 

DCN

#3 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:26

Perhaps DSJ gave the book a good review. The shock would have affected Jackie for months.

#4 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:50

The stomach ulcer is probably a sufficient reason for Jackie not being at his very best in 1972, and, even then, he finished a strong second in the championship. We held his driving in such esteem that second place was almost a failure after the domination of 1971 and the defeat of the Lotus pair in 1973.

Also, perhaps the Tyrrell models 002/003/004 that year weren't the most competitive cars around, and 005/006 only came along later in the season. François Cevert had finished third in the 1971 championship, and would finish fourth in 1973, just behind Fittipaldi and Peterson. In 1972 he scored a disappointing fifteen points to take sixth place. The entire Tyrrell team look to have been a bit off their game. 

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:09

Following Stewart’s return to full fitness at the French GP, from that race until the end of the season no-one scored more points than he did (Stewart 33, Fittipaldi 33, Hulme 20, Revson 17 etc).

#6 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 263 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:09

JYS's driving affected by "reactiofrom his fans to his book"?

What springs to mind is the phrase "Dream on"...   :confused: 

DCN

Doug, why do your recent posts all seem to be in multiple fonts and sizes like they're a kidnap ransom note cut out of different newspapers?  Is it intentional?  (Apologies if it has been asked and answered elsewhere).

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:39

Perfectly reasononable question - it's because my favourite laptop's keyboard is knackered - the 'c' and the 'n' never work and the 'd' and 'i' only work when they feel like it.  So I habitually copy and paste - hence if I forget to wipe over the text and re-size it all - the ransom note look.  

(And No... I did not nick your gardegnome...   :cool: )

DCN

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:48

Don't believe a word of him! :evil:

It's a secret code - think Illuminati! - and he's giving directions to help spread corona!!! :eek:

And as for your garden gnome... I have sad news for you! :( :cry:

#9 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,642 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 13:08

This explains the wait for BRM volume 4. I would imagine having to describe one of the key players whilst not being able to type a "c" or an "n" might prove troublesome.

#10 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 20:08

I've been writing about the 1972 season recently, and Stewart appears to have lost his edge for part of that year, before regaining it in time to win the championship in 1973.

Part of the reason was illness, but I also read that he was affected by the reaction from his fans to his book 'Faster!'.  Can anyone tell me more about that?  I know he was exceedingly rude about some of his fellow drivers, and his "cornering is like bringing a woman to climax" was not to all tastes, but was there more to it than that?

His "cornering" comment was the impetus for a humorous passage in "The Stainless Steel Carrot", a book about John Morton's 1972 season with the BRE Lotus 70.  His crew joked that it explained Morton's lack of pace.

#11 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 21:28

Those who are intrigued by the idea of Doug completing the BRM opus with a depleted alphabet might find this book entertaining:

Mark Dunn's "Ella Minnow Pea".

https://en.wikipedia...Ella_Minnow_Pea

Sorry, no racing content. Diversion over; back to JYS...

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 21:57

...his "cornering is like bringing a woman to climax" was not to all tastes, but was there more to it than that?

I bought this book when new as a kid, and immediately recognized the lower-case climax typo...

But then I was confused why women were the only ones buying Climax engines...  :wave:

#13 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:39

I bought this book when new as a kid, and immediately recognized the lower-case climax typo...

But then I was confused why women were the only ones buying Climax engines...  :wave:

.....and they bought the book for the title. (!) :smoking:

:cool:

#14 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,543 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:01

It's a while since I read the book but my impression is that JYS was struggling with celebrity. He was living away from his roots, making a film, associating with people unlike those from his youth or racing colleagues. Never entirely comfortable except when racing.

#15 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 16:44

I had not heard that about the book reception, but of course, my U.S. sources were Road & Track and Autoweek.  Probably less detailed than what you could get in the U. K.  Can you recommend any articles or links that refer to this?  I'm just curious; that was my favorite era, and '72 was the first full season I followed. 

#16 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 17:00

His "cornering" comment was the impetus for a humorous passage in "The Stainless Steel Carrot", a book about John Morton's 1972 season with the BRE Lotus 70.  His crew joked that it explained Morton's lack of pace.

I read that book back in the day, and reread it every five or six years.  I'm about due for another rereading so I'll have to look for that passage. 

That book gave me total respect for John Morton's dedication and driving ability. 

His current partner is the book's author, Sylvia Wilkinson.  Funny how those things work out sometimes.

#17 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 17:26

Sorry for brief derail, but isn’t that book back in print?

Failed to buy that one in the day. Paper route income fell short.. :-( / :-)

#18 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 19:20

Failed to buy that one in the day. Paper route income fell short.. :-( / :

The current issue of Vintage Motorsport  has a nice feature on Morton and Sylvia Wilkinson and talks about her books. 

The most recent reprint I see for the book is 2012, and most sales are for used copies, requiring major paper route revenue.

Edited by D28, 11 August 2020 - 20:08.

#19 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 20:09

Well...it was...and now appears to be back out.  Wanted to get a couple of links for you and figured that out just now.  Morton's website lists it as out of stock.  On Amazon they are selling for $150ish used.  Darn.  The book is too good to be overly expensive.  It should be accessible. 

Back to JYS and his climaxing ladies...

Advertisement

#20 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 20:09

Getting back to Stewart, there was an interview by Mike Doodson with him in Autosport 16 August 1973 pp40-43.  Doodson touches on his apparent unpopularity in Britain, noting that he was booed at the 1972 British GP, perhaps because it was the only time (tax exile) Stewart raced in Britain that year.  Stewart responded that it was Ken's decision whether they raced in non-championship events, and that Ken might expect Jackie to pick up the engine rebuild bill if the team did the Race of Champions.  This felt like bullshit as I read it, but I then noted on page 3 of the same issue, Autosport reporting that a F1 Tyrrell would be demonstrated at the Fordsport Day at Mallory Park on August 26.  The driver that day, however, would be Cevert...

It sounds like the tabloids had been giving Stewart a kicking as well, misquoting wife Helen saying that they had no friends in F1, "only young rivals".  Stewart refuted this, pointing out that he was friends with Hill, and close friends with the Fittipaldis, Emerson and Maria-Helena, who lived close to his home in Switzerland, where Stewart lived to avoid paying UK tax.  Also, it appears that his actions in a last-lap tussle with Regazzoni at the German GP had not gone down well with the press.  Stewart spent a good part of the interview banging on about his non-motor racing earning,s his lucrative association with super-agent Mark McCormack, the possibility of a Wrangler/Stewart range of clothing, and his lucrative deal with ABC which meant he was now "commercially valid to a lot of companies".  The Dood's closing sentence subtly reminded his readers that Stewart had left the country to avoid paying UK tax on all these earnings, but added that Jim Clark had done the same thing. 

In the age of social media, we have a way to gauge how popular somebody is, but I don't have a way to count Instagram followers in 1973 so I'm unclear what the public's attitude was to Stewart.  Or even the newspaper's attitude without scrolling through the archives.  For those of you following the sport at the time, was he widely liked?  

#21 opplock

opplock

• 947 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 21:14

With the top rate of UK tax being 93% and the mortality rate of F1 drivers being so high going into exile was the sensible thing to do for both Clark and Stewart. The rules seem to have been dramatically eased in recent years despite top rate now being around half that. I seem to recall that Jim Clark was not allowed to test the Lotus 49 in UK and JYS had to ask government for permission to attend JC's funeral. By contrast a tax exile resident in Monaco attended a political rally in London a few weeks ago seemingly without any questions being raised about breach of quarantine requirements. Perhaps HMRC follow the old adage of "speak softly and carry a big stick".   

#22 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,467 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 21:22

With the top rate of UK tax being 93% and the mortality rate of F1 drivers being so high going into exile was the sensible thing to do for both Clark and Stewart. The rules seem to have been dramatically eased in recent years despite top rate now being around half that. I seem to recall that Jim Clark was not allowed to test the Lotus 49 in UK and JYS had to ask government for permission to attend JC's funeral. By contrast a tax exile resident in Monaco attended a political rally in London a few weeks ago seemingly without any questions being raised about breach of quarantine requirements. Perhaps HMRC follow the old adage of "speak softly and carry a big stick".   

Yes, it made sense at that tax rate. I wonder why Graham Hill didn't do it?

#23 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 22:06

For those of you following the sport at the time, was he widely liked?  

Sadly, I don't think he was, but part of that would be the natural reaction of spectators to  a very good driver who was always a likely winner. I don't remember much cheering when Jackie won at Silverstone in 1971, but there were plenty of smiling faces at Club in 1973 when he came through well back, the Tyrrell's radiator full of wheat. At the Grand Prix at Brands, in 1972, the man next to me against the fence at Clearways kept on giving him v-signs every time he went past. But he did the same to Ickx as he tailed off into the pits. The guy wasn't choosy, just drunk, and he wanted Emerson to win.

The combination of talent, a slightly irritating voice, and a flash lifestyle seemed to work against Jackie in the popularity stakes. He didn't  have the quiet grace of Jim Clark, nor the charm of Graham Hill. Shame really because, on those occasions when I've been anywhere near him (Bourne a few years back, for example), he seems a very nice bloke.

#24 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 23:57

For those of you following the sport at the time, was he widely liked?

Here in the States I think he was liked, Allen.

I was but 11 when meeting him at a Can-Am race and asking him to sign the program, my autograph book, and the cover of my Encyclopedia of Motor Sport book. My recollections of youth then aren’t as clear as even a year later, but recall his being pleasant at the least. And plain cool.

Fans like myself often tended to think differently of foreign drivers — if not perceived at a level of higher authority from reading and imagining F1, Le Mans, and all between “down” to Formula Ford and even karts. The mystery of faraway lands and people to an imaginative kid was quite something, really.

And in an age where one could adore a driver without ever seeing him speak, or even move on video, those times of reading enough good things about a driver for them to “earn” a fan were quite the opposite of now. It seems now we far more often choose favorites we like as people.

Then Jackie commentated for ABC Sports at Indy and elsewhere, for maybe 15 years if I’m right, and that’s the first we all really got to “know” him. I actually liked his style of clarity, but mostly loved experienced viewpoints to further any racing education I could find.

I do recall several not “liking him” based on his reporting style, but I never bought into it out of long and deep respect for the man. A lot of this was nationalism via some not liking “foreigners invading our turf,” especially at Indy it seemed, nor an intelligent education about Indy technology coming from one of another country. Not many, but enough to remember it vividly. Some things never change.

But as a driver, I never recall anyone shortchange his obvious brilliance. I actually wish he’d won Indy after Jimmy did.

#25 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,811 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:44

Picked up my copy on eBay several years ago. Less that $10 if I remember correctly.

#26 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 687 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:28

Perfectly reasononable question - it's because my favourite laptop's keyboard is knackered - the 'c' and the 'n' never work and the 'd' and 'i' only work when they feel like it.  So I habitually copy and paste - hence if I forget to wipe over the text and re-size it all - the ransom note look.  

(And No... I did not nick your gardegnome...   :cool: )

DCN

Doug

For heavens sake, if you will private email me with your mailing address I will arrange for a new keyboard to be delivered.

Any preference on make and model?  :-)

Regards

#27 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:45

:up:  :up:  :up:

#28 john aston

john aston

• 2,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:38

I was an admirer of JYS in period , but I always preferred the drama of a Rodriguez or Peterson , the glamour of anybody in a  red car or the sheer cool of a  Revson . JYS was one of those rare drivers (like Prost, Hamilton and , yes , Schumacher ) who so often seemed destined to win . Fast forward 30 years or so and I reviewed his autobiography - which , although good in parts , was toe curling about his contacts with royalty and corporate big swinging  d****s like Fred the Shred Goodwin of Royal Bank of Scotland notoriety . 

But fast forward another decade and my car club had teamed up with Sir JYS' Race Against Dementia charity and I was asked to interview him . It was a down the line job (so much harder  than face to face ) but he was bloody brilliant . Totally professional , and treating questions from a nobody as if he hadn't been answering similar stuff for most of his life . The only hard thing was stopping the flow and getting on to the next one.

But here's the thing - after the interview had appeared I was at Silverstone Classic and  Sir JYS ' PA had come to chat to our club stand . His phone rang - JYS of course -long chat but then PA said 'yes, he's here, I'll put him on '. Me ? I then had 5 minutes of  the first man I'd ever seen drive an F1car telling me my interview  was as good as anything he'd read about him . Of bloody course it wasn't anything of the sort - but I still glow a little . 

Five years pass and I am invited to interview Paul Stewart . This time it was at home (or one of them ) in UK . A lovely man, courteous to a fault and most  fascinating to listen to about his childhood and some of his drivers (Jan Magnussen was a highlight ) . Like his dad  , he followed up the interview and was a total gent .

Starry eyed?A bit, yes . But I've been lucky to talk to quite a few 'names ' and only Gordon Murray (excuse name drop ) made as big an impression as the Stewarts. So a fan , yes .  

#29 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:47

Yes, it made sense at that tax rate. I wonder why Graham Hill didn't do it?

Because he was decent?

#30 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:22

Sadly, I don't think he was, but part of that would be the natural reaction of spectators to  a very good driver who was always a likely winner. I don't remember much cheering when Jackie won at Silverstone in 1971, but there were plenty of smiling faces at Club in 1973 when he came through well back, the Tyrrell's radiator full of wheat. At the Grand Prix at Brands, in 1972, the man next to me against the fence at Clearways kept on giving him v-signs every time he went past. But he did the same to Ickx as he tailed off into the pits. The guy wasn't choosy, just drunk, and he wanted Emerson to win.

The combination of talent, a slightly irritating voice, and a flash lifestyle seemed to work against Jackie in the popularity stakes. He didn't  have the quiet grace of Jim Clark, nor the charm of Graham Hill. Shame really because, on those occasions when I've been anywhere near him (Bourne a few years back, for example), he seems a very nice bloke.

I read somewhere that Clark's reception among spectators at the British GP was lukewarm in the later years, probably for the same reason that he'd won it so often before,and was so dominant, that people wanted an underdog to come through instead. I think in the article I read that Dan Gurney was the crowd's favourite.

Because he was decent?

That's a bit harsh; JYS I think is a fundamentally decent man (dodgy business associates aside!), and unlike some tax exiles (and even UK based tax avoiders) hasn't gone around pontificating on matters that don't concern him. Besides, given his work in improving driver safety, and his involvement with campaigns on helping with dyslexia and dementia, I think he comes out fairly even.

#31 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:36

Provocative, I agree. Everybody should have the right to live where he pleases to, but I find it more than a little bit irritating that some folks find it necessary to relocate as soon as they begin to earn some earnest dosh. It's equivalent to big companies seeking tax exile - legal, perhaps. But, is it the right thing to do?

#32 opplock

opplock

• 947 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:53

But, is it the right thing to do?

With tax at 93% yes. Below 50% no. 

I recall reading that JYS made the decision to leave Britain after his accountant told him that his wife and children would be left almost penniless if he died. 

I only met him once but like E1Pix was very impressed. Levin Jan 1967. Immediately on arrival in the pits JYS is confronted by a 10 year old with a brand new autograph book. He gave the impression that I was doing him a great favour. I've still got the book, the second signature is Jim Clark.   

#33 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:45

At a time of some quite serious personality drivers JYS was a charmless, dour very earnest Scot.

Nothing wrong with that but not very endearing.

#34 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:00

Jackie was presenting the Walter Hayes trophy at Silverstone 2 or 3 years ago and I just happened to be around when he made his way to his waiting car, behind the pits

I stood and watched in admiration as he had time for everybody that had gathered, signing stuff, selfies etc. not that many people admittedly, but that's just the low key nature of the event

What really impressed though was that he quickly hopped back out of the car as soon he was made aware of a chap who had appeared late to the party

I too was a Peterson fan back in the day, but a lot of current drivers should learn from him, a true Gentleman as far as I can tell

#35 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,045 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:03

JYS wasn't very popular in my group of friends, because of his safety campaign. It seems almost ludicrous to admit that now. However, nothing is simple, and we objected to the destruction of great "natural" circuits which we saw as a central part of racing. We would argue that all the effort should be in making the cars and marshalling safer. Were we wrong? Yes, undoubtedly. Were we right? Partly, I would say. Today I'd rather watch "slow" F3 cars at Brands than "fast" F1 cars at Silverstone. They're more spectacular.

Nobody denied Stewart's speed and skill. He was the best. And there's no doubt he's a good bloke, notwithstanding his trousers.

#36 john aston

john aston

• 2,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:00

Very true , and I'd rather be stuck with Stewart's trousering  than Mosley's manners... 

#37 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,587 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 16:19

Nobody denied Stewart's speed and skill. He was the best. And there's no doubt he's a good bloke, notwithstanding his trousers.

Jackie Stewart is certainly OK in my book, I met him maybe three or four times back in the 70s, and had more recent contact around three years ago when he signed a few photos for me. The first time we met was in the Lola factory in Huntingdon, JYS was there to see the new T260, and I'd come from Specialised Mouldings a few hundred yards away to assess Jackie's form and carry out a basic fitting for a seat. I was struck by his easygoing and clearly genuine friendliness, the way he treated everyone just the same, and the way in which he put a shy and slightly overawed young person (me) at ease. My duties at SM mostly involved modelmaking, much of it for their new wind tunnel, and after bosses David & Peter Jackson discovered I had a knack for it, shaping and fitting race car seats for a few of the more prominent drivers. Jackie was fairly happy with my first effort, suggested some minor changes, and expressed himself completely satisfied with the final offering. We were on first name terms throughout, and he instantly remembered my first name the second time we met. He was involved at the time with some kind of promotion with I think The British Tea Council, and a tray of tea and biscuits had been provided. I was poured tea and offered biscuits by a World Champion racing driver, to a watching Eric Broadley's evident disapproval. 

Jackie-Stewart-001.jpg

This photo is from Pete Lyon's book CanAm, and not my work of course. It shows Jackie in the Lola T260, and my own favourite driver from that era, Denny Hulme in his McLaren M8F, both awaiting the start at 1971 St. Jovite. Much more recently, a by now Sir Jackie Stewart was amused and interested to learn that I'd made and fitted the seats in both those cars. As Sterzo said, JYS is a good bloke, friendly and open with people he meets. Despite the elevated circles he moves in these days, I get the feeling he's never forgotten his own fairly humble beginnings.

#38 PCC

PCC

• 1,073 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 16:25

Forgive the duplication - I posted this in another thread, but it seems worth repeating here. it's a story from the 1971 Canadian GP (which Jackie won), held a few hours after local driver Wayne Kelly had been killed in a supporting race:

I remember JYS coming up to the announcing booth after the win for an interview. I don't remember what my dad's first question to him was, but instead of answering it immediately Jackie said he wanted to express his condolences to everyone who knew the FF driver who had been killed, and what a tragedy it was. As it happens, Wayne Kelly was a friend of my dad's, and this classy gesture - which I've never forgotten - meant a lot.

#39 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 23:15

I have Sir JYS's autograph on a poster from early Aug 1970. I was on holiday, staying at my uncle's in Geneva, whilst awaiting my GCE O Level results. I saw a poster advertising that JYS would be signing autographs in some dept store in Geneva.....of course, he was the current WDC then and it was a few days before the Tyrrell was unveiled to the wider world. I can't remember what he or I said, but I came away impressed [well, I would at that age] and remember thinking that in 12 months time I might have to get Jackie Ickx's autograph as the next WDC [!!] 

Next time I saw him he was racing in the 1971 Good Friday Oulton Park International, finishing 3rd behind Rodriguez and Gethin....then dominating the British GP.  

Advertisement

#40 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,413 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 16:06

I'm not on his Christmas card list.

1985 at Montlhéry, near Paris, there was an end of season FF1600 race & Ford invited JYS to a small reception for the drivers.

He made a short speech in French then came and 'mingled, with us drivers over a glass of champagne.

He came quite close to me and I tried desperately to think of something to say.

"Good to hear somebody speaking French so badly that even I can understand it"

It was meant to be funny but he turned on his heel and walked away.

Hence the lack of Christmas cards...

A friend of mine lived in Geneva and told me that one day, in town, he saw a Ford Granada pull up beside a line of parked cars and reversed into a small parking spot in one quick movement.

He turned to his wife & said, "Can only be a Brit".

He waited to take a look & it was of course, JYS...

#41 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 17:47

Probably because you weren’t a Scottish terrier...

#42 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 687 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:27

I had the pleasure of attending a private breakfast leading to the Adelaide GP, don't remember the year but the last or next to last.

JYS was most talkative and gracious with and to all attendees; beyond all expectations.  I can not even imagine the negative comments noted above.

I do not cast aspersions on those who relate them but I have to wonder which were the real JYS.  I also wonder if his well documented Dyslexia was responsible for the differences.

Regards.

#43 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 18:42

I took a look at “Winning is Not Enough” to see if JYS said anything about his book “Faster.” It's not in the index, and as I browse through the '71 and '72 seasons I don't notice any reference to it.

He does talk about his ulcer, and the effects it had on him. Before being diagnosed, he spun at Jarama, spun twice while testing the McLaren Can Am car at Goodwood, and twice at Monaco. He reported himself as being constantly tired, seeing stars and floaters in front of his eyes, and having problems with his balance. After the diagnosis he missed the Belgium Grand Prix.

JYS heaped a lot of praise on the 003, so perhaps the competitive downturn that year was just due to his ulcer.

I wasn't aware of any dislike of Stewart in the States in the early '70s. I seem to recall a feeling that since he was very eager to earn more money, and wasn't shy about it, that such an attitude was unbecoming, if not merely different. This would be based on what I read, or perhaps it is my own feelings projected.

It was my impression at the time that everyone considered him the best road racer in the world.

As an aside, I think this is my 900th post. Will have to let that sink in a bit.   :)

#44 MLC

MLC

• 537 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 15:23

Starry eyed?A bit, yes . But I've been lucky to talk to quite a few 'names ' and only Gordon Murray (excuse name drop ) made as big an impression as the Stewarts. So a fan , yes .  

Perhaps sometime you can start a separate thread and share your experience with Mr. Murray? As an engineer, I'm as a big a fan of Barnard and Murray as I am of Stewart and Prost. I'd love to hear more.  :)

#45 john aston

john aston

• 2,691 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 17:02

Not really worth a thread to itself  , so here is the story - I contacted Murray in 2012 -ish via a friend of his whom I  'knew ' from another forum . The interview was for the Lotus  Seven Club magazine, Low Flying,   which , unlike some car club mags , does not confine itself to its nominal subject . It was another down the line interview , which are sometimes far from easy .

Murray was astonishingly articulate , giving a thought through and comprehensive answer to each question. I've interviewed a lot of people in my work life and the tape of Murray's interview  was one of the very few which hardly required editing - no 'errs' , ' umms or 'ahs' , no straying  from the point and spoken with meticulous attention to detail. Never 'F1 ' , but always 'Formule One' , not even 'Spa ' but 'Spa Francorchamps' and so on .  His favourite driver , or at least the one whose memory burned the brightest, was Carlos Pace , he owns (inter alia )an Elan S3fhc and anybody who has a house at Torridon in my beloved North West Scotland, loves Dylan , good red wine too,  is ok by me :wave:      

PS MLC - I have a copy somewhere if you pm me your email address

Edited by john aston, 19 August 2020 - 17:03.

#46 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 17:58

I think people's experience with famous drivers etc. can just depend on how they feel that day.
Sir JYS in my few dealings with him has been first-class, a true gentleman.

My only experience with Gordon Murray was not positive but it was a relatively short, singular one and of course everyone is allowed an off day. So I remain open minded.

#47 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 19:13

A story I heard, possibly in here, was of a young girl doing work experience at Stewart Racing (lucky her, I got a week at the Co-op in Cumbernauld). First day, she turns up, receptionist asks her to take a seat while she waits for someone to collect her. Meanwhile JYS arrives, spots the girl and asks what she's doing there, then escorts her through, shows her round and introduces her to all sorts of people before dropping her off at personnel and making sure she gets well taken care of.

A colleague at work once won a competition, first prize was a sum of money and an invite to a function where he met Stewart (and sat next to him at dinner). Stewart asked what he would do with the money, and my colleague said he was putting it towards a car. Oh, says, JYS, have you considered the Ford XXXX, they're very good you know...

#48 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 19:24

I met Jacky Stewart once, an odd thirty-five years ago, at Orly airport in France, when he was on his way to the first class lounge of Cathay Pacific (I think) and I was mulling around at the newsstand. I severely got in his way because I was reading a magazine and not paying attention that my bag with tennis-gear on my shoulders was severely blocking anyone's passage past me. And so I almost bowled over myself even before I recognised him. He had a huge grin because of the near collision, and it was funny because I think Jacky is about 5 foot 5 and I am about 6 foot 6.

He then engaged ME in a conversation, really curious about ME of all people, first I thought he mistook me for a professional player and hence was so friendly. But that was not the case; he seemed genuinely interested in just that young bloke on the airport. I think he stayed for about fifteen minutes to chat and I remember distinctly that I was the one who broke off the convo, out of timidity. 

It thus always peeved me that the Dutch racing magazine RTL GP for a while wrote very disparaging about him and I even wrote an open letter to the editor. Who then took the trouble of writing me an e-mail explaining the rather unpleasant experiences of the contributors of the magazine when they ever dealt with Stewart. 'He never does anything if it does not bring money,' that was the gist of it. But I always kept believing that Stewart deserved more respect as a human being than he got from the magazine. 

So I reckon that experiences with meeting drivers or other famous people are really depending in what setting the meeting takes place. 

#49 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,178 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 20:30

... and anybody who has a house at Torridon in my beloved North West Scotland, loves Dylan , good red wine too,  is ok by me :wave:      

Bob or Thomas?

#50 john aston

john aston

• 2,691 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:47

The answer to that one is blowin' in the wind .

Murray isn't  a Nogood Boyo