- - - - -

‘You wouldn’t believe me if I told you’ - Your own F1 shocks

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,919 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 21:09

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... in your time watching F1, what have been the biggest shocks for you? Or what do you wish you’d taken the odds on at the bookies which they’d have laughed at you for dreaming about?

Stuff that was so unexpected that nobody saw coming

Brawn will inevitably crop up here, but following F1 back then there was a lot of chat about how good Hondas mothballed car was, and nobody was really surprised in Melbourne, although it did kill any final doubts some had that they’d run an illegal test car to get sponsorship. I do wish I’d put a bet on though, I actually told some of my workmates who like a flutter to take a punt on it, but they never took the tip either.

Maldonado winning in Spain seemed to catch even the Williams team off guard, so that would be one of my picks. Along with when Alonso won his 2nd title, it youd told me he’d still be in f1 over a decade later but never win another championship, I wouldn’t have believed it.

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:23

Irvine’s whole 1999 season.

#3 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:02

Kimi Raikkonen not destroying Felipe Massa at Ferrari like every man and his dog expected.

#4 Gecko

Gecko

• 876 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:07

Takuma Sato finishing 6th in a Super Aguri in Canadian 2007 GP, overtaking Alonso on track in the process.

#5 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,001 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:17

Final moments of Brazil 2008.....Biggest shock i've ever seen.....

Edited by MasterOfCoin, 11 August 2020 - 03:18.

#6 Eff1

Eff1

• 744 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:46

Final moments of Brazil 2008.....Biggest shock i've ever seen.....

Yup - I don’t think my heart ever beat so fast watching those last few laps. I was stood up the whole time with my hands on my head.

Another that left me genuinely shocked (jaw on ground) was the retirement of Nico Rosberg, and Ferrari’s 2002 Austria debacle.

#7 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:49

Brazil 2008 was like a emotion Rollercoaster.

#8 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:02

#9 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:19

Brazil 2007

#10 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,392 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:37

The Brawn one didn’t shock me after the first test. I had a bet on Button winning the title at 50/1. Good times.

Spa 1998. I was 13 and played football on a Sunday afternoon, got told at full time that Damon had won. Couldn’t wait to get home and watch it on vcr!

Germany 2018 too, me and a few mates went. We were sat near turn 1 and saw Hamilton go off on Saturday there shortly before his car broke. A little over 24 hours later we’re stood in the pouring rain below the podium watching Lewis take a huge step to winning the title.

#11 Beri

Beri

• 11,648 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:51

Verstappen winning his first was, as a Dutch F1 fan, the best moment in F1 till now. Following the sport 25 years and seeing both Mercedes' taking each other out was spectacular already. But as the race progressed and Ricciardo got the lesser tactics by Red Bull, the unthinkable was about to happen. Just promoted to the big league at Red Bull, being charged by Raikkonen, who drove one of his best Ferrari races in his second spell at the team till that point, being a mere 18 years old, that was something special to witness. It truly is one of the pinnacle moments in Dutch motorsports history. From one day till the other everyone was talking about Formula One. Even people that didn't care before were now becoming avid supporters. And of course, the Orange Legion was born then as well. Something Formula One has never witnessed before either. Alonso has had his own grandstand at Barcelona. But to have sold out orange grandstands at various races during the season, was something new also.

I'd say; if you're not Dutch, you don't know how big the impact of Verstappens first victory actually was.

#12 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:02

Ferrari firing Alain Prost

#13 messy

messy

• 7,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:11

I think at the time, the race that really shocked me in a good way was Australia 1999 and I felt quite emotional about that one. Eddie Irvine was the perennial number two, the guy who freely admitted he struggled to finish a race within 25 seconds of his team-mate. He’d come rather close to winning once before - Argentina 1997 - but I really didn’t see him as a Grand Prix winner, Ferrari were too focused on Michael and his job wasn’t to win races, it was to support Schumi. Then too there was Frentzen. Beaten and battered by two years at Williams. Stock at an all-time low, all the attention pre-season on Damon Hill (his famous “does anyone here even like me?” comment in a press conference when Damon was getting all the questions), people speculating that 1999 would be his final year and that Hill would destroy him once and for all.

So on lap 57, listening to Murray Walker announcing his crossing the line to win the race, with Frentzen shadowing him home in second place, I found that quite emotional. It was the first time watching F1 really, that I’d felt a true emotional connection to the success of a driver. After McLaren qualified 1.3s clear of the field it was also really not what I was expecting. Little did I know at the time too that Irvine and Frentzen’s success that day set the tone for the season of their careers in both cases.

Eddie was a bit like Kimi in that you’d be watching him from the sidelines and you’d celebrate his long-overdue success and feel emotional as he crossed the line, but then he’d get out of the car and kind of shrug and play everything down. But that was a great result.

Edited by messy, 11 August 2020 - 07:12.

#14 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,515 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:14

Ferrari firing Alain Prost

Williams firing Damon Hill.

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,515 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:18

Verstappen winning his first was, as a Dutch F1 fan, the best moment in F1 till now. Following the sport 25 years and seeing both Mercedes' taking each other out was spectacular already. But as the race progressed and Ricciardo got the lesser tactics by Red Bull, the unthinkable was about to happen. Just promoted to the big league at Red Bull, being charged by Raikkonen, who drove one of his best Ferrari races in his second spell at the team till that point, being a mere 18 years old, that was something special to witness. It truly is one of the pinnacle moments in Dutch motorsports history. From one day till the other everyone was talking about Formula One. Even people that didn't care before were now becoming avid supporters. And of course, the Orange Legion was born then as well. Something Formula One has never witnessed before either. Alonso has had his own grandstand at Barcelona. But to have sold out orange grandstands at various races during the season, was something new also.

I'd say; if you're not Dutch, you don't know how big the impact of Verstappens first victory actually was.

Oh trust me, you don't have to be Dutch to see what an effect Verstappen's win had on the Dutch fanbase. It's reflected right here on this board. It was also little shock to anybody because he'd been hyped up so much the win was inevitable, though I suppose the two Mercedes taking each out on lap 1 was as much of a shock as Max winning that race.

#16 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:18

Hockenheim 2019 :p

#17 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:20

Brazil 2008 was the most emotional race for me, normally I'm a quiet person, but I shouted my lungs out that day. Apart from that, I think the biggest shock was too see the F2 crash at Radillon last year, I couldn't beleive my eyes for a few seconds...

#18 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:45

Guenther Steiner is Italian.

#19 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:48

Chopping Hockenheim up

Williams firing Hill

Ferrari hiring Irvine

Wattie winning from 21st on the grid at Long Beach in '83

Lauda's come back in '82 being so successful

The start crash at Spa in 1998 -  I was certain someone would have been killed by an errant wheel

The three starts at Austria in '87. I started to wonder if the race would ever get going

Mansell finishing second at Silverstone in '88

Advertisement

#20 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 3,354 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:52

Rosberg retiring days after claiming the WDC has to be up there - it's just something nobody was expecting. I wonder what he was feeling as he claimed the title knowing that his plan was to retire after that and that was the last time he would be in the car... must have been so many conflicting emotions. That took a lot of courage I think, deciding to prioritise your family life and leave the sport you love because of the intensity of the energy needed to put together a WDC year. I was sad that he left but have enormous respect for his reasoning.

#21 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,515 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:54

On a similar note, Jenson Button switching to McLaren after winning his championship with Brawn and his replacement being Michael Schumacher of all people.

#22 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,990 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:55

The one that came absolutely out of nowhere was Leyton House March at France 1990.    They'd been struggling to qualify all year, yet, with two-thirds of the way through the race, they were on for a 1-2, and even after Gugelmin's engine gave up under the strain, Capelli was a dozen miles from winning.  Prost passing him was as devastating as Villeneuve passing Hill at Hungary 1997.

#23 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:06

Montoya ditching F1 for NASCAR.

#24 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:07

Guenther Steiner is Italian.

careful here; he was born in Meran, which is Italy, but it is also South Tyrol (Südtirol). Many of the people there hate it being called an Italian.

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,770 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:11

I was really surprised when Alonso announced he'd run the Indy 500 in 2017.

Vettel winning flag-to-flag at Monza in 2008 was jaw-dropping too. Obviously it turned out to be the first of many victories in a Red Bull, but at the time it was the proverbial bolt from the blue.

Marc Marquez winning the first 10 Grands Prix of 2014, especially after a close and competitive 2013 where he was not the outright fastest rider.

#26 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,425 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:12

Monaco 1996 deserves a mention as well. And the final laps of Imola 1985 (and of course; Monaco 1982). Good times...

And for emotional victories; few can top Barrichello's first win at Hockenheim in 2000. Not just the win itself, but the circumstances, a really shitty qualifying followed by a strong race from Rubens - and then the emotions at the podium afterwards. Brilliant!

Also; I was extremely surprised that Ricciardo was not only able to keep up with Seb back in 2014, but also beat him quite convincingly during the season. I wasn't sold on Ricciardo until that season and Vettel in the blown-diffuser era was a beast. It would be a rough equivalent of Hamilton being paired with Giovinazzi for next season and the season going convincingly to Giovinazzi...

Edited by Rediscoveryx, 11 August 2020 - 08:16.

#27 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,869 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:14

My biggest shock in F1 was also one of the most healthy things happening to me: the failure of Jos Verstappen in F1. I had followed his career since he drove around a 4-year old Formula Ford around at record speeds at Zandvoort and friends alerted me to this guy. Jos was so absolutely gob-smacking good in all the feeder-formulas, so good in testing F1-cars, I knew for certain he was going to be great.

First he got smacked by Michael Schumacher. Then he got out-qualified by Rubens Barrichello... Mika Salo... Enrique Bernoldi. That was the absolute downer. And that, together with the snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory habit of the Dutch soccer-team between 1978 and 2000, cured me. I never since 2001 invested real emotions and expectations in ANY sport or sportguy/girl/whatever.

#28 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,770 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:27

"Failures of strangers in elite sport that left me jaded for the rest of my life" -- now that's a topic for its own thread!

#29 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:40

careful here; he was born in Meran, which is Italy, but it is also South Tyrol (Südtirol). Many of the people there hate it being called an Italian.

I didn't realise that, sorry. Didn't mean to cause any offence. It surprised me because he just seems so German. A little like Binotto being Swiss, although I think he actually has Italian citizenship.

Other big shocks for me - we got used to seeing all of them winning but the first victories of Alonso, Vettel and Verstappen were very surprising and impressive at the time. Alonso was looking strong in 2003 but the manner in which he domoinated proceedings was incredible. Ditto Vettel at Monza, with the added surprise of a Toro Rosso dominating the race. Meanwhile Verstappen certainly had a good car but I'd never have expected him to win on his Red Bull debut.

Edited by Spillage, 11 August 2020 - 08:41.

#30 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:42

Even now I have to remind myself of Pastor winning in Spain and Vettel winning in 2008. 

#31 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,972 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:46

Winter between 1993 and 1994, there was no way to me that Senna wouldn't cake walk everything in sight. Two first GP's he was creamed by Schumacher. Yes, it was the cars and not the drivers, but I never saw that coming in a million years.

#32 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,869 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:51

Winter between 1993 and 1994, there was no way to me that Senna wouldn't cake walk everything in sight. Two first GP's he was creamed by Schumacher. Yes, it was the cars and not the drivers, but I never saw that coming in a million years.

That is a good one. Also the fact that Senna spun more or less on his own twice, in two races. I would not believed you if you had predicted it... 

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:56

Alonso not winning a F1 title after 2006

#34 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:58

Montoya ditching F1 for NASCAR.

Montoya injuring himself playing motorcycle tennis....

#35 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:09

Barrichello 2000 Hockenham was Great.

The Fisichella Brazil GP

Hockenheim 2019 

Brazil Verstappen 2016

The weird priest protester guy

Vettel vs Hamilton Baku 

Some big crashes like;

McNish in Suzuka
Alonso Australia 

Monza start crash second chicane

#36 M66R

M66R

• 574 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:13

Although it happened 23 years before I was born, Jack Brabham winning the title in his own team/car. Seems completely alien to me that that could ever happen.

The only thing close to it now would be for Ed Carpenter to win the 500.

#37 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:14

I called Singapore 2008 a conspiracy the moment Piquet put it in the wall.

#38 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:16

Fisichella taking pole and being the favourite for the win is probably the biggest upset I have seen in the sport. Imagine a Haas/Alfa/Williams doing that today after an entire season of fighting for 15th.

Vettel's pole and win was a similar upset.

I agree with others on Brazil 2008. Still can't believe that actually happened! I miss title deciders, even the boring ones.

#39 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,232 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:19

My biggest shock in F1 was also one of the most healthy things happening to me: the failure of Jos Verstappen in F1. I had followed his career since he drove around a 4-year old Formula Ford around at record speeds at Zandvoort and friends alerted me to this guy. Jos was so absolutely gob-smacking good in all the feeder-formulas, so good in testing F1-cars, I knew for certain he was going to be great.

First he got smacked by Michael Schumacher. Then he got out-qualified by Rubens Barrichello... Mika Salo... Enrique Bernoldi. That was the absolute downer. And that, together with the snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory habit of the Dutch soccer-team between 1978 and 2000, cured me. I never since 2001 invested real emotions and expectations in ANY sport or sportguy/girl/whatever.

That comes with age as well. Last driver or sportsman I was a fan of was Michael Schumacher 1.0. Him retiring in 2006 was a blessing for me.

Never done the same thing again. I have favorites and can get involved but not in the same manner.

Advertisement

#40 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,044 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:22

That most of Schumachers records would be on the verge of being beaten within 20 years of his retirement (original retirement).

I was convinced those records would stand a long long time.

#41 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,919 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:25

Montoya walking away from F1 was the last time I’ve ever had a proper favourite driver. He came onto the scene with such a bang and I loved seeing him vs Schumacher. When he signed for mclaren, my favourite team... all the stars had aligned for something great.

Instead he sodded off to NASCAR. Meh.

When your favourite drive signs for your fave team and then it all goes to ****... bad times.

Those were my teenage years when I was a real hardcore F1 fan. These days each race is a stand-alone event for me, especially since championships are usually decided (or almost dead certs) part way through the season.

I’d love a return to proper championship duels between drivers in opposing teams to stoke some passion

#42 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:36

1975 James Hunt and Hekseth racing to 4th in the constructors

#43 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:38

Montoya passing Schumacher as they went thru Au Rouge in 2005.

#44 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:39

Williams firing Damon Hill.

Ferrari firing Sebaspin Vettel (did it happen yet?)

Damon 30s lead in Arrows, Damon braking down with 2 laps to go in Hungary 1997.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 11 August 2020 - 09:39.

#45 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,404 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:48

Winkelhock leading European GP in 2007 after being terribly off the pace in all sessions.

How bad Williams were in 2011 (doesn't look so shocking now with the hindsight of 2013 and 2018-2020 but at the time it was like a nightmare come true).

Fisichella scoring a pole position on merit in Spa in 2009 after Force India were backmarkers the whole season up to the point.

Rosberg's sudden retirement.

I wanted to add some more but then I figured out those were just the things I think others found surprising but weren't particularly shocking to me- for example Brawn in 2009- I literally expected that 2009 could be anyone's season all along. I didn't even consider Maldonado's performance in Spain in 2012- I literally predicted him being on pole position there in the "Guess the pole" game on this forum.  :p 

#46 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,072 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:49

"I woz there" for ex-scrap dealer Jo Siffert winning the 1968 British Grand Prix in a privately run car (which was subsequently destroyed when the owner's shed caught fire).

And a mere telly-watcher thirty years later for Sebastian Vettel winning the 2008 Italian GP in a Toro Rosso. Wet race, slow car, rookie... Wow!

#47 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,694 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:58

Hill's sacking. Why, Sir Frank, Why?

The rumours of Hamilton's move to Mercedes, then the announcement which was still a bit of a shock because it happened just when the latest leaks suggested he was going to stay. Lauda even announced it was all rubbish and he wasn't coming... then the next day he was announced as their new driver and Lauda as the new non-exec chairman.

e. Rosberg's retirement. The only time I've literally phoned another human being to tell them a piece of F1 news.

#48 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,770 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:04

That is a good one. Also the fact that Senna spun more or less on his own twice, in two races. I would not believed you if you had predicted it... 

Not wanting to derail, but in Aida, Senna was punted from behind by a crossed-up Hakkinen, wasn't he? It was the lightest of touches but I'm sure he didn't spin on his own.

#49 Erwin123

Erwin123

• 461 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:25

Ralf Schumacher sitting motionless in his car after a crash during the US GP with his own brother driving by lap after lap...
I was sure we where watching a dead man...

Edited by Erwin123, 11 August 2020 - 10:26.

#50 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:29

Schumachers comeback...I was seriously not expecting that.