Photo

Loyalty exploitation

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:29

It has come to my attention in recent days that there is currently an offer for Autosport+ with the digital magazine for £11.99 with a recurring annual fee of £39.99. Would someone have the courtesy to respond on this board, (it is not an option to discuss elsewhere which I will explain later), to explain to me why this very package auto-renewed for me on 5th August for €135.00. Loyal customers, in my case 30 years as a subsciber, beware being charged a premium of 1000%.

It was not my intention to post anything here, I was hoping to have been able to come to a resolution by telephone, I phoned yesterday, and again today, a total of 20 times, the only number provided in this website, namely, 0044 203 405 8100. On every occasion I get through to an automated message asking me to leave my name and telephone number and that someone will get back to me. This, of course, never happens. Courtesy appears to be an historic thing in this virtual world.

Undeterred, I found a number on-line for Autosport subscriptions. 0044 1604 828 743, on which yesterday, I spoke with Elizabeth 3 times, after listening to 3 automated messages about coronavirus, motorsport news, and the current pause in magazine production which should resume in July. There was a technical issue with the computer system which didn't allow access, presumably, this was resolved overnight. This morning I spent 45 minutes on the telephone with Arina, whilst she tried to help, she was unable to as my subscription does not exist on her system.

Arina tells me that my subscription had been cancelled in 2015, news to me, particularly so as my subscription payment has continued to be made in ensuing years. I am led to believe that my account has been adopted by, Autosport Network. She has assured me that she will bring my case to the attention of her manager, who will make contact with the Autosport Network team on a phone number which is not available to plebeians, and get back to me in due course. I am not holding my breath.

My subscription was paid via PayPal. Looking at the details of this, PayPal suggests that if there is a dispute, contact with the recipient of the payment should be made in the first instance. They even supply an email for the recipient linked to their account. autosport.paypal@haymarket.com for this purpose. Guess the outcome, Bounced back as undeliverable because the email does not exist.

I have little alternative available to me other than to open a dispute with PayPal due to Autosport’s inaccessibility. Is this really how loyalty is rewarded?

Edited by milestone 11, 12 August 2020 - 20:04.

Advertisement

#2 GeeDee

GeeDee

• 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:54

I'm still trying to find out why the need for Autosport+ when i've had a full magazine subscription for as many years as I can remember.

Many questions arise but "Plus What?" :confused:  All I've seen in recent months is MINUS CLASSIC which, to me, is a major downside as I do not like the "new improved" version. :(

Thaks for the heads up - I'll check my payments - and good luck :clap:

#3 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 13:11

I'm still trying to find out why the need for Autosport+ when i've had a full magazine subscription for as many years as I can remember.

Many questions arise but "Plus What?" :confused:  All I've seen in recent months is MINUS CLASSIC which, to me, is a major downside as I do not like the "new improved" version. :(

Thaks for the heads up - I'll check my payments - and good luck :clap:

Autosport + supposedly gave unlimited access to web articles but not the digital magazine. Whilst not replicating the Classic front page, clicking on "Archive" gets you a page far preferable to the mess that is the current front page.

Edited by milestone 11, 11 August 2020 - 13:12.

#4 GeeDee

GeeDee

• 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 14:20

Thanks, interesting call on Archive although that looks a little too basic. Still, I'll check it out.

Pretty certain I don't want it but how is the Digital Magazine different to the Paper copy?

At the moment, I'm paying £34.99 quarterly (£139..96 Annually) compared with £131.88 for just the paper copy and £143.88 for the full works so it seems the old paper subscription which included the web access has been detuned although I'm still getting some of the web access.

I assume from the phone numbers you mentioned, you're outside the UK. If not, have you tried 0345 1620 2004 or help@asm.secureorder.co.uk

#5 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 14:57

Pretty certain I don't want it but how is the Digital Magazine different to the Paper copy?

Digital magazine is identical to the print copy. Your sub gives you access, check it out. I used to get the print copy too but its delivery was anything between 3 and 13 weeks.

At the moment, I'm paying £34.99 quarterly (£139..96 Annually) compared with £131.88 for just the paper copy and £143.88 for the full works so it seems the old paper subscription which included the web access has been detuned although I'm still getting some of the web access.

I assume from the phone numbers you mentioned, you're outside the UK. If not, have you tried 0345 1620 2004 or help@asm.secureorder.co.uk

Yes, I'm in the Canaries. Make sure that you are signed in to access the digital magazine. Click on your account, the drop down box will show you digital magazine click on that and sign in. You have to sign in at three different places now it seems, Autosport+, digital mag, forum.

#6 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 16:12

Arina tells me that my subscription had been cancelled in 2015, news to me, particularly so as my subscription payment has continued to be made in ensuing years

This sounds familiar.

I cancelled by subscription, but had access to forix, unlimited articles and plus articles for 16 months after my sub had run out. Somewhere during December 2018 that was finally fixed and I didn't have access to things I shouldn't have access to...

#7 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 16:55

I am not sure that those at Autosport.com have really been in control of their subscription processes since the covid crises started.

I have had a Autosport print subscription for many years, and when the Autosport+ system was introduced I was given a free upgrade to include it. 

Following the Web-site upgrade in March this year lost access to the Autosport+ component, got logged out and could not log back in again for some reason.

I suspected it was a password problem so went through the password reset process, which did not appear to work.  I then checked and it appeared that the stored email address was out-of-date.

I contacted the Autosport plus team and I got a reply that they had updated the email address and sent me a password reset code.

All seemed to work OK.

When the print version was suspended, the editorial in the final edition stated that subscriptions would be suspended but access to Autosport+ would still be available.

As my subscription was by quarterly direct debit, I thought no more of it, assuming that the next payment would just be delayed by an appropriate period.

It was only when I examined my account at the end of June I discovered that a payment had been taken in mid June as usual, i.e. it had not been suspended and I had payed for 8 non-existent issues.

I contacted the subscription department and received a reply on 22/07/2020 stating

I can confirm I have refunded you £34.99 and this will appear in your account over the next 3-5 working days. Please contact us again before the 06.08.20 to enable us to take a payment to ensure you do not miss any issues.

(still not arrived in my account 3 weeks later).

The email also informed me that 

If you wish to gain access to Autosport Plus you are required to have a print and digital subscription. Unfortunately, this is no longer available with a print only subscription.

I logged into my Autosport account and it does not contain much information apart from the fact that my 'digital subscription' will expire on 01/09/2020.

Not sure what the **** is going on except that I have - 

Paid for 8 unpublished issues 

Paid for another 13 issues, at least 4 of which will be after the termination date.

The service I have been paying for is no longer available.

No idea what is going on - I think I will just wait and see how it turns out - although I might just complain to my bank and request a refund.

Edit - apologies for the double spacing but the forum decided to post the reply half way through and added double spacing and I cannot be bothered to re-edit....

Edited by ExFlagMan, 11 August 2020 - 17:03.

#8 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:00

So many different - and ever changing - factions involved in all this now that it is simply a pitiful mess. And trying to make it all more or less digitally automatic just makes the whole thing exponentially messier. If it wasn't so infuriating you could call it a joke.

#9 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,120 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 16:13

Glad I have never subscribed....what a fiasco.  The magazine is probably in deep financial trouble and this site may disappear soon too.

#10 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:25

:(

#11 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:39

:(

Hey Zmeej, how are you. Hope you and yours are keeping well in these horrific times.

#12 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,452 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 18:32

Nothing is free, or rather the business model fall apart if no income - I would also have problems with the withdrawal and zero help, if you enjoy being here then you should pay for it, in order you can continue to enjoy it.

#13 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:04

Nothing is free, or rather the business model fall apart if no income - I would also have problems with the withdrawal and zero help, if you enjoy being here then you should pay for it, in order you can continue to enjoy it.

Seems a funny way of trying to retain your current regular income from subscribers by p***ing them off - I guess that they have employed Gerald Ratner as an advisor!

#14 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 13:13

Nothing is free

I don't think that is the argument either though.

#15 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,452 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 14:23

I don't think that is the argument either though.

The reason newspapers are closing is no one buys them anymore, if this site close down it will be because it can not run as an ongoing business - The way they have and appear to service the subscribers is obviously wrong - But unless we are willing to pay, we will loose this outlet for commenting, agreeing, disagreeing over what happens in the sport - mostly based on the reporting from this very magazine. We all have different economic means, for those who can they should buy the full glorified package, even if never using all of it consider it you small part in paying it forwards and help those who have less means than yourself.

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 16 August 2020 - 23:17.

#16 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,559 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:53

Hey, they get to send me e-mails about various things. There is benefit to them for spending near zero dollars to acquire a new client for the product that is a flavor of the month.   ;)

#17 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,120 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 22:40

Was meant as a reply to 404KF2 who is proud he never paid.

I didn't say I was "proud" I haven't paid, Mr. Reading Incomprehension.  Geez.

I said I'm glad I didn't subscribe to the magazine, as a response to the milestone 11 post about the runaround he was getting, being a subscriber.

If it became possible to pay a small sum just for the website use but no magazine (which in any case seems to be moribund) I would consider it.

#18 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,120 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 23:04

I'd prefer you to stop being annoying.

#19 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,452 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 23:17

I'd prefer you to stop being annoying.

Sorry.

Advertisement

#20 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:36

My subscription is due to renew on August 27th

How much will I be charged?

#21 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 13:44

I am pleased to confirm that this issue has been resolved fully satisfactorily after a number of email exchanges. The last of these is quoted below. Autosport contends that the digital magazine is extra over the cost of Autosport+ and can be taken up separately at £6.00 per month and discounted if annual. I am perfectly happy with the charge made for the content received, and will continue with my long standing subscription.

Hi milestone,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The 70th Anniversary offer does not include access to the digital magazine. If they wish, subscribers can add this to their subscription, as advertised on the sign-up page, but it is not included in the discounted offer. 

As a new subscriber, if you were to take out the annual subscription of €49.99 a year for Autosport Plus (that includes a 30% discount versus monthly), and add the digital magazine for €6 a month, you would be paying €121.99 a year. As a loyal subscriber, I'm happy to discount that for you so you would pay €109.99 a year from next year. In addition to this, I will refund you the €35 as previously advised, which is the difference between the full annual Plus rate and the discounted anniversary offer.

Please let me know if you wish to proceed with the above.

Best regards,

Edited by milestone 11, 20 August 2020 - 13:45.

#22 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 13:54

All is well that ends well?

I used to subscribe to Autosport many many years ago but eventually stopped my subscription some time in the nineties as it was becoming expensive and my interest in F1 wasn't as high as before.

I am still astonished, how - for example - little a subscription of some American magazines (Hemmings Classic Car) cost, even for overseas customers. You can get a digital subscription (simple PDFs and no fancy app-only magazines) of three magazines for only 20 USD per year!

#23 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 15:13

I am pleased to confirm that this issue has been resolved fully satisfactorily after a number of email exchanges. The last of these is quoted below. Autosport contends that the digital magazine is extra over the cost of Autosport+ and can be taken up separately at £6.00 per month and discounted if annual. I am perfectly happy with the charge made for the content received, and will continue with my long standing subscription.

Hope you keep us informed on whether things really run out as promised,,,,,

#24 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 08:46

I see, they have gone back and removed the access to the digital magazine for me now. Apparently it was only on there during the ‘covid lockdown’.

#25 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:29

Here we are, almost a year down the road. It would appear that motorsport.com trading as Autosport have reneged on the deal that they agreed last August. Note a functional email.

Here's the exchange, obviously read from bottom up,

On 08/05/2021 12.45 PM milestone 11 wrote

Good morning,
I draw your attention to this discussion with a member of your admin team in August of last year. Internal notification informs me that payment failed. Checking with my PayPal account, no application was made. Can I assume from this that you are reneging on the agreement?
Thank you.
m 11

On 08/20/2020 2:30 PM milestone 11 wrote:

Good morning,

Yes, thank you. I am happy with that conclusion. Will the refund be made directly to my Paypal?

My only reservation with the outcome is the access to the digital magazine claimed by those that have taken up the offer. I will just have to assume that they are being economical with the truth.

I look forward to Autosport's continued success in these unprecedented times.

Best regards,

m 11

On August 19, 2020 at 4:24 PM Admin Autosport <admin@autosport.com> wrote:

Hi m 11,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The 70th Anniversary offer does not include access to the digital magazine. If they wish, subscribers can add this to their subscription, as advertised on the sign-up page, but it is not included in the discounted offer. 

As a new subscriber, if you were to take out the annual subscription of €49.99 a year for Autosport Plus (that includes a 30% discount versus monthly), and add the digital magazine for €6 a month, you would be paying €121.99 a year. As a loyal subscriber, I'm happy to discount that for you so you would pay €109.99 a year from next year. In addition to this, I will refund you the €35 as previously advised, which is the difference between the full annual Plus rate and the discounted anniversary offer.

Please let me know if you wish to proceed with the above.

Best regards,

The Autosport Team
Autosport Media UK Ltd
Autosport Plus Autosport Magazine | GP Racing Magazine

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Please be advised the information contained in this email message is confidential and intended only for use by the recipient. If you are not the named recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, or copying of the information is prohibited. If the information has been directed to you in error, please contact the sender immediately via a reply to the sender's email or the telephone number listed above.

Sent: 19 August 2020 11:39
To: Admin Autosport <admin@autosport.com>
Subject: Re: Autosport Plus Subscription Enquiry

Good morning Kaye,

I still await a reply to my previous email to you on the 13th inst.

Best regards,

m 11

On August 13, 2020 at 1:16 PM milestone 11 wrote:

Good morning Kaye,

Thank you for your prompt response, to be brutally honest, I wasn’t expecting one.

I appreciate fully that occasionally there will be special offers to introduce new subscribers. That is not a problem to me at all. I have had a subscription for in excess of 30 years and my current renewal charge of €135, I had considered good value, including the digital magazine. I might add that I took the magazine for 20 years with a newsagents order before my subscription. What has upset me, is the fact that many are claiming that the introductory offer of £11.99 for the1st year includes the digital magazine with a subsequent annual renewal for £39.99. Are these people being either economical with the truth or making spurious claims, or has there, in fact, been a mistake made on Autosport’s behalf when switching these new subscribers on? I don’t know because as a subscriber my IP address is read, whether logged in or not, which then blocks any entry to subscription charges. See here for the discussion on Autosport Forum. https://forums.autosport.com/topic/215717-autosport-premium-70-off/

My position is, that I wish to have Autosport Plus and Digital Magazine in the most economical way. If indeed this is being offered for £39.99 on renewal of the 70th Anniversary special offer, then I have a problem with the disparity of my renewal. I would appreciate knowing clearly what the annual renewal fee for my preferred subscription actually is, without having to resort to underhand methods like using my neighbour's machine.

If, you are prepared to offer a refund of €35 as a gesture of goodwill in these times of austerity, then of, course, I would gladly accept this. However, not to the detriment of my continued subscription. Firstly though, it is necessary to establish exactly what the 70th anniversary offer includes.

Very kindest regards,

milestone 11

On August 12, 2020 at 6:59 PM Admin Autosport <admin@autosport.com> wrote:

Hi m 11,

I've been passed your details as I understand you have seen an ad for the 70th-anniversary offer to Autosport Plus. 

We occasionally give introductory offers to new subscribers to encourage them to try the product. Introductory offers are typically in the form of a free trial, or sometimes a lower initial payment with future payments being higher, as is the case with the 70th-anniversary offer. I understand as an existing subscriber that recently renewed their subscription that you may view this introductory offer to be unfair. Please be assured that we very much appreciate our loyal subscribers and as a result, I'm happy to refund you the difference for the Autosport Plus section of your subscription. This would be a refund of €35. Please note that the 70th-anniversary offer does not include access to the digital edition of Autosport magazine or the digital archive, which your current subscription does. 

Please let me know if you want me to proceed with the refund.

Best regards,
Kaye

The Autosport Team
Autosport Media UK Ltd
Autosport Plus Autosport Magazine | GP Racing Magazine

E

admin@autosport.com

Edited by milestone 11, 05 August 2021 - 12:41.

#26 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 13:00

Hope you keep us informed on whether things really run out as promised,,,,,

Umm , clearly not.

#27 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:41

Hey Zmeej, how are you. Hope you and yours are keeping well in these horrific times.

For whatever weird reason, hadn’t noticed this post until now, just a week shy of exactly a year later. :o

Thanks for the kind word, and I hope that you and yours have kept as well as mine and I have. :wave:

Edited by Zmeej, 06 August 2021 - 04:42.

#28 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 12:57

Eight days have passed since writing to Autosport, I still have not been afforded the courtesy of a reply. Below is a follow up from me today.

Good afternoon,

I still await a response to the email that I sent eight days ago, the 5th inst, neither have I had a response via telephone as promised. I consider your lack of response to be both unprofessional and totally devoid of any ethical standards.

Yours faithfully.

milestone 11