Photo

Moss record error - traced to unlikely source...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:28

I had a very interesting chat with my friend Simon Taylor yesterday.  

Stirling Moss’s famous scrapbooks have just been loaned by his widow Susie to the RAC Club library in Pall Mall, London.  Leafing through them Simon suddenly noticed an entry for August 12, 1950, in which an indistinct photo of an HWM is listed as being SM, “retired due to gearbox failure, set fastest lap at 67.67mph’.  The race in question was at Berne, Switzerland.

Simon freaked out – because here was a race he knew he hadn’t mentioned in his recently-published and very fine HWM history.  So he double-checked, and then dug deeper. 

Hmm – 1950 Prix de Berne Formula 2 race around the Bremgarten circuit really took place there on June 4, 1950 – not on August 12, 1950.  

HWM entries for Rudi Fischer (finished 6th), John Heath (8th) and George Abecassis (9th).  No Moss – sometimes listed only as DNA – ‘did not appear’ (or ‘did not arrive’). 

Hmmm again.

In Stirl’s scrapbooks it is very evident that the early ones, 1948-49 had been assembled by him.  From 1950 the hand-written notes and headings differ, presumably reflecting a secretary or maybe Ken Gregory, or some factotum instead, having put them together in period. And upon close inspection of the cutting photo under that August heading it’s clearly Rudi Fischer in the car at Berne – not Stirling Moss at all.

Simon began to heave a sigh of relief.  He hadn’t screwed up – but several others had.

Now the first book to offer a comprehensive listing of SM’s racing he thought was Ken Purdy’s ‘All But my Life’ – produced after Stirl’s career-ending 1962 crash at Goodwood.  He lists the Prix de Berne as having been held on August 12, at the Bremgarten, with Moss retiring after having set fastest lap at 67.67mph.

Well now – the fastest F2 lap at the Bremgarten back in 1950 actually averaged 152.02km/h – 94.48mph.  So where could that alleged, pathetically slow, ’67.67mph’ come from?

Previous race for Moss had taken place on August 5, 1950 – ‘The Daily Telegraph’ 500cc F3 race meeting….at Brands Hatch. 

There he’d won a Heat in his Cooper-JAP Mark IV and had set a new lap record calculated at the time as an average of 67.54mph – a respectable short-circuit Brands Hatch speed in a 500cc F3 car, then transposed to a Bremgarten alleged fastest lap in a 2-litre HWM.  

Simon then studied the ‘All But my Life’ table and recognised – from his vast magazine publishing experience – the dead hand of a hot-metal typesetter, missed by a proof-reader.  The block of type relating to Brands Hatch had instead, almost certainly, been misplaced to the phantom ‘August 12 Prix de Berne’ just below– faithfully following the gen featured in the contemporary Moss scrapbook for 1950.

OK – the plot now thickens.  When I produced ‘My Cars – My Career’ with Stirl in the late 1980s I was paranoid about getting his racing record right.  Now you know that despite this I still screwed-up by missing the Sandown Park, Melbourne, races (recently discussed here on TNF thank you very much).  Now I began to appreciate I’d also stuffed up his 1950 record within that Appendix material by including this phantom Prix de Berne appearance of ‘August 12’ – just like Purdy.

But – when our late mate Alan Henry did his ‘Stirling Moss – All My Races’ book in 2009, he made the same error – but compounded it.  On page 51 of that book this August 12, 1950, ‘Prix de Berne’ is listed with Stirling (first person) apparently maintaining that “I was back behind the wheel again at Bremgarten for the Prix de Berne. It was some consolation that I led the race and set the fastest lap, but eventually the gearbox broke and I had to retire again”.

Hmmmmmmmmm – well unfortunately, that was not the case. 

Stirl’s racing programme instead had been interrupted by his injurious crash during the Naples GP on July 22, 1950 – after which he only returned to driving in time for the Brands Hatch 500cc F3 meeting on August 7.  He did not race five days later at Berne – because the Prix de Berne had actually been held there on June 4 – more than six weeks earlier.

In fact his next race after Brands Hatch would be on August 14, at Ostend, Belgium, again in the 500cc Cooper-JAP.

So here’s another instance of the Moss record total of races etc having been compromised – for which read ph------up - by us scribblers.

But in this case it all seems to date back to that original compiler of the Maestro’s personal album for 1950.  While my racing record in ‘My Cars – My Career’ repeats the Purdy error, interestingly in our 1950 HWM chapter text ‘SM’ explains how he missed the Bremgarten race because “…I developed some form of jaundice and missed the trip”.  At least we got that bit right.

In any case, if I still had a dog I might now go and kick the poor thing. Dammit.  The next time Simon rings I’ll hang up.

Still – some do say that confession is good for the soul.  For those fellow enthusiasts who care about all this old nonsense, it should also be good for setting the record right…

DCN.   ):

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:57

What fun!

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,780 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:08

If I can throw another spanner in the works - which may or may not illuminate further - according to the Journal de Genève of July 25th 1950 'le grand espoir britannique Stirling Moss' was entered in the GP Automobile de Genève, the supporting race for the GP des Nations on July 30th, alongside John Heath and George Abecassis. However, only two HWMs started, driven by Abecassis and Lance Macklin; Heath and Moss are both recorded as DNA. The race numbers show that Macklin had replaced Moss.

#4 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,599 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:17

My first thought was "wouldn't his diary entries have flagged this?" but judging from the photos in My Cars My Career they only began (or were available) from 1954 onwards.

#5 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:38

Bucks Herald, 11 August 1950

TRING DRIVER'S RECORD

Star racing driver Stirling Moss, of Tring

set the lap record in the 500cc international race

at Fawkham, Kent on Monday.

He did the mile circuit with its five curves

in 53.2s, an average speed of 67.67mph.

EDIT: One mile in 53.2s equates to 67.67mph

Edited by Geoff E, 13 August 2020 - 15:42.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 16:55

My first thought was "wouldn't his diary entries have flagged this?" but judging from the photos in My Cars My Career they only began (or were available) from 1954 onwards.

Stirl's early diaries had vanished, he told me, with Robert Raymond - author of the first proper book on him...

DCN

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 21:34

I am unsure of the relevance of the above......

Simon and Doug were referring to SCM's participation in the Formula 2 race at Bremgarten on 4th June 1950, not the F2 race at Geneva, which was on 30th July.

In any case why would one refer to an obscure Swiss newspaper for corroboration, when there are Adriano Cimarosti's monumental "Grand Prix Suisse' and the F1 Register's Black Book Volume 5 (2nd ed.) readily available to confirm the fact that Moss did not appear there?

The point isn't that he didn't appear but that the Swiss had apparently been expecting him to do so.  This might mean that his name appeared in (provisiomal) entry lists for both races leading to the misidentified photo and consequent errors.

Edited by D-Type, 13 August 2020 - 21:37.

#8 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:05

If I’ve understood Adriano Cimarosti correctly (it’s written in a foreign language), Moss was slightly injured at Aix-les-Bains the week before Bremgarten and Fischer took his place. My Cars, My Career says of GP du Lac: “Car and driver both sick”,.

Edited by Roger Clark, 14 August 2020 - 08:10.

#9 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:37

Digressing slightly, in practice for the F2 race at Bern, Sommer was over 8 seconds faster than next best in a 3 minute lap. This must be one of the largest percentage gaps for a major race. To prove it wasn’t a fluke, he went 2 seconds faster in the race. 

Sommer drove the same car in the Grand Prix, one of the new de Dion chassis. Running an F2 car in F1 races could be seen as Ferrari’s first steps towards his unsupercharged future. Two weeks later, Ascari drove a 3.3-litre in the Belgian Grand Prix. 

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:39

Alf Francis in his book said that Stirling had given himself food poisoning after eating cream cakes the evening before the Aix race. He did manage to drive in that race, but was still not well enough to race in Bern the following weekend.

#11 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:20

Denis Jenkinson’s Racing Car Review says of Bern: “young Moss had been overdoing things, with HWM driving, as well as an active 500cc programme, and he was forced to return to England for a rest.”   He drove in the 500cc race at Aix but retired with valve trouble, hopefully the car’s not his. 

Moss’s next F2 race after Bern was Roma on 11th June when he did set fastest lap at 64.67mph. Could this be another possible source of the original error?

#12 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:33

What fun!

Absolutely! I can relate to that story, having come upon a number of similar mistakes in secondary sources. To find out that something looks "fishy" is the first step. Then, to dig deeper and find the mistake is extremely satisfying, a minor triumph in fact. But, to do the full circle, the detective work to find out how the mistake could have originated, is pure and unbridled joy and fun! :D

#13 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 17:05

... the detective work to find out how the mistake could have originated, is pure and unbridled joy and fun! :D

To be honest, my enthusiasm doesn't quite stretch that far...    :well:

#14 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:50

You're missing out  ;)

#15 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 21:10

Reading this thread makes me wonder if the Bucks Herald reported the 1961 Monaco GP under the headline: "Tring Man Wins Car Race."

#16 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:21

Just what I wanted to hear. What's that word? Oh, yes...

Gaaaagh!