Photo

A Sobering Thought

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 19:27

Following Nicha Cabral's death this morning, every race starting driver from the 1964 season is now no longer with us. 

The only two other seasons this occurs is the first two years of the World Driver's Championship, 1950 and 1951.

Perversely, but happily, the British Grand Prix from 9 years previous to 1965 has 3 survivors (Marr, McAlpine, da Silva Ramos).

Because Jackie Stewart wasn't racing after his terrible Belgian Grand Prix accident 3 weeks or so before, the French Grand Prix of 1966 is the most recent race with no survivors (Dan Gurney was the last survivor, dying in 2018).

However, it must be noted that the grids of the 1960's were somewhat half of many 1950's races and a third less than a lot of the 1970's races.

Certainly, what this does reinforce, is to appreciate those still alive more than we tend to. McAlpine, Herrmann, Brooks, Lewis, Penske, Niemann, Hall and Jackie Stewart are the last survivors of numerous races right up to 1967.Once they've gone, we'll have wonderful memories, books, magazines, videos, television coverage to tell us or show us what happened, but no more first-hand reports from those who raced in the events.  :cry:

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 17 August 2020 - 19:39.

Advertisement

#2 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 20:35

Thanks, Richard. I truly regret the opportunities I missed to actually meet some of them, simply because I was too intimidated or didn’t want to “push in” out of respect. That makes me cherish all the more my meeting Stirling Moss in Florida during his recovery from the Goodwood crash, and the 20 or 30 minutes John Surtees spent with me in the Goodwood paddock discussing in detail his victory at Sebring in 1963 and how it affected his future. Both of those encounters were quite out of character for me.

#3 Jahn1234567890

Jahn1234567890

• 166 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 22:13

Certainly, what this does reinforce, is to appreciate those still alive more than we tend to. McAlpine, Herrmann, Brooks, Lewis, Penske, Niemann, Hall and Jackie Stewart are the last survivors of numerous races right up to 1967.Once they've gone, we'll have wonderful memories, books, magazines, videos, television coverage to tell us or show us what happened, but no more first-hand reports from those who raced in the events.  :cry:

You have not listed all drivers though, a few more are still around. Only eight drivers that started a Grand Prix in the '50s  are still around (Ashdown, Brooks, D'Orey, Marr, McAlpine, Milhoux, Herrmann and da Silva Ramos) It is a saddening thought though. Time waits for no man and that era is sadly but slowly closing its doors...

#4 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,177 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 22:25

It's part of the human nature. I feel the same since I began doing research and saw a lot of people I dreamt to speak with die, mainly when I had issues that prevented me to even try it. I think that other researchers also thought the same when the people from the pre-war days started to die. At least, we usually have a lot of sources, which allows us to write accurately. Looking for personal stories is looking to the infinity.

#5 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 23:51

That's certainly eye-opening. Happily, though, there a few drivers still alive (or at least not confirmed as deceased) who started in non-championship F1 races in 1964 -- Richard Attwood, Jean-Claude Rudaz, Clive Puzey, Ernst Maring, the aforementioned Stewart and Niemann, and perhaps a few others.

#6 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:32

You have not listed all drivers though, a few more are still around. Only eight drivers that started a Grand Prix in the '50s are still around (Ashdown, Brooks, D'Orey, Marr, McAlpine, Milhoux, Herrmann and da Silva Ramos) It is a saddening thought though. Time waits for no man and that era is sadly but slowly closing its doors...

9- David Piper, like Peter Ashdown, drove a F2 car in the 1959 British Grand Prix. The ones I listed above are the last survivors of their respective races.

#7 Jahn1234567890

Jahn1234567890

• 166 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 13:36

9- David Piper, like Peter Ashdown, drove a F2 car in the 1959 British Grand Prix. The ones I listed above are the last survivors of their respective races.

Ah I see is misunderstood that! And silly of me to forget David Piper...

#8 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 14:20

It was very nice to see the name of Leslie Marr included in the list of surviving drivers of the 1950's. As a youth I was something of a supporter of Mr Marr and his British Racing Green Connaught's with their distinctive red wheels which were a familiar sight on our circuits. He must be of a good age now along with Ken McAlpine as was Mike Oliver who sadly left us recently. Those Connaught drivers certainly have longevity.

#9 bsc

bsc

• 126 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 15:03

It was very nice to see the name of Leslie Marr included in the list of surviving drivers of the 1950's. As a youth I was something of a supporter of Mr Marr and his British Racing Green Connaught's with their distinctive red wheels which were a familiar sight on our circuits. He must be of a good age now.

Leslie Marr reached his 98th birthday a couple of days ago. 

#10 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 15:48

It was very nice to see the name of Leslie Marr included in the list of surviving drivers of the 1950's. As a youth I was something of a supporter of Mr Marr and his British Racing Green Connaught's with their distinctive red wheels which were a familiar sight on our circuits. He must be of a good age now along with Ken McAlpine as was Mike Oliver who sadly left us recently. Those Connaught drivers certainly have longevity.

Yes and Tony Brooks drove for Connaught too. McAlpine is in quite frail health but is due to reach 100 next month.

Leslie Marr seems to be almost 30 years younger than he is, he appears to be very sprightly and well.

#11 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 16:19

Great to hear that Mr McAlpine and Mr Marr are doing well and going strong just as Connaught's used to. My best wishes to both and belated birthday greetings to Leslie Marr.