Dynamic camber, caster, toe control.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,637 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 22:35

https://newatlas.com...2563ca-90270322

Interesting. Some claims seem exaggerated. The inventor has an excellent track record in biomedical innovation and entrepreneurship.

Advertisement

#2 blueprint2002

blueprint2002

• 161 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 00:56

https://newatlas.com...2563ca-90270322

Interesting. Some claims seem exaggerated. The inventor has an excellent track record in biomedical innovation and entrepreneurship.

Certainly interesting.

How do you measure a gain in "handling performance", I wonder. They claim 15% and 29% for different versions. 

#3 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,637 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:16

Yeah - certainly won't be +29% lateral grip!

#4 mariner

mariner

• 2,329 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:04

It looks very interesting but I guess the same question as the Lotus Active comes to mind, how much power does it consume vs any fuel savings.

I would imagine the forces it has to aply to alter teh inboard mounting point of a suspension link are quite high in big SUV. 

And I supose an obvious question what is teh fail sfe default if it malfunctions - although with modern electronics tha may be an ode of date concept!

#5 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,392 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 14:28

It'd be nice if there were a competitive racing environment—a pinnacle of motorsport as it were— where ideas like this could be tried, and claims tested and quickly evaluated in a setting that couldn't easily be manipulated for the purpose of fleecing investors.

#6 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,637 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 21:18

The power consumed would be minimal - the forces are high but the displacements required are very small.

Pretty confident these guys aren't scammers. They have a history of successful high-end engineering innovation. https://www.sciencei...18newinnovators

#7 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,353 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 00:24

Active toe is obviously easy to prototype given we've got EPAS. I'm not convinced mass production cars would need active camber, the gains are slight. Active castor is captain crazypants.

#8 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,637 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 21:25

Agree that active castor would be all cons and no pros.

Have you considered that active camber would allow the designer to optimise suspension (and steering) geometry - freed from the need to consider kinematic camber change?

I have suggested elsewhere that the ultimate suspension might be one where each all four wheels were steered and cambered independently - under electronic control. We already have torque vectored to each wheel independently, likewise bump in a fully active suspension.

There you are - 4 of the six axes at each wheel under electronic control - the remaining two (lat and long displacement) remain fixed for obvious reasons.

Edited by gruntguru, 26 August 2020 - 21:36.