Ineos to buy Mercedes?

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#1 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 21:10

https://twitter.com/...8337357824?s=21

There’s been talk for quite a while that Mercedes might be leaving, Eddie Jordan (sometimes very wrong, sometimes surprisingly correct) thinks that Merc are going to sell the team to Ineos.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,724 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 21:15

With Mercedes remaining as an engine supplier? Makes a surprising amount of sense. Of course I only have the vaguest idea of what Ineos are.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 21:17

Jordan has a tendency to just parrot any slight rumour, that would cause an uproar, in order to cash in the credit for it.

#4 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 21:33

Is this really worth starting a thread for? Jordan is talking out of his behind as usual. 

Let's see:

Former F1 team boss Eddie Jordan believes Mercedes will exit Formula 1 after 2018

https://www.autoweek...a-1-after-2018/

“Mercedes Will Sell Their Team to Stroll”

https://www.essentia...-f1-prediction/

Jordan claims Hamilton will move to Ferrari to replace Vettel

https://www.news24.c...vettel-20200504

It just goes on, and on, and on, and on...

He angered Toto in 2017 already: 

Jordan's most recent prediction -- that the world champions are planning to quit F1 at the end of 2018 -- angered Mercedes boss Toto Wolff. It's a prediction he's made twice this year, with the second one leading to a warning from Wolff to stop spreading what he called "fake news".

Wolff went on to say: "I am ready for any banter with Eddie, but for me I stop laughing when it is about making jokes on the back of 1500 employees that care about their future". 

Edited by beachdrifter, 12 September 2020 - 21:42.

#5 Jops14

Jops14

• 512 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 21:50

I can’t see why Mercedes would ever leave when the budget cap is about to turn every F1 team into a self sufficient/profit generating team like NFL franchises

If Renault aren’t leaving, Mercedes sure as **** arent

#6 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,602 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 21:56

:popcorn:

I can’t see why Mercedes would ever leave when the budget cap is about to turn every F1 team into a self sufficient/profit generating team like NFL franchises

If Renault aren’t leaving, Mercedes sure as **** arent

I doubt they're leaving, but you never know with these things. The budget cap will affect them more than any other team. 

#7 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:00

https://twitter.com/...8337357824?s=21

There’s been talk for quite a while that Mercedes might be leaving, Eddie Jordan (sometimes very wrong, sometimes surprisingly correct) thinks that Merc are going to sell the team to Ineos.

When was the last time one of the EJiot's predictions was correct?

#8 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:03

Jordan has a tendency to just parrot any slight rumour, that would cause an uproar, in order to cash in the credit for it.

Jordans Irish, he's a gossip. Don't even start me on the messes this can create. Might his hunch be accurate in general sure. But then consider why a privately owned chem company would divest significant resources to an F1 team thats heavily integrated into Petronas? A lot of his info isn't stuff he's heard, it's people he's seen talking to each other and then he goes to someone else and asks "does that make sense?" and if they say yes he puts it out there. It's the wolff stroll anecdote from Kravitz at the weekend cranked up a little.

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 12 September 2020 - 22:07.

#9 Calum

Calum

• 1,137 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:09

:popcorn:

I doubt they're leaving, but you never know with these things. The budget cap will affect them more than any other team

Nah, Ferrari surely. They can't just chuck blank cheques at their engine and aero deficit going into the new rules.

At least Merc are starting with knowledge of a fine engine and tip-top aero ahead of the rules change and budget slashing.

#10 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:10

Ineos 'in £700m bid to buy Mercedes' with chemicals giant and Sir Jim Ratcliffe set to take 70 per cent share in Formula One team

• Mercedes' Formula One team are close to signing a £700 million sale to Ineos 
  • The chemical company agreed a £100m sponsorship with the team this season 
  • It has been claimed Ineos will take up a 70 per cent share in the manufacturer
  • The investment would mark Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s most significant foray into sport

https://www.dailymai...re-F1-team.html

Edited by beachdrifter, 12 September 2020 - 22:11.

#11 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:18

Jordan takes these stabs in the dark constantly, people think because he pinned the tail on the donkey a couple of times years ago that he's good at it despite about 1,000 misses since then.

#12 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,602 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:27

Hmm ... just two weeks ago Ineos made a binding offer on Merc's French Smart plant.

https://www.carscoop...rs-smart-plant/

#13 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:37

Ineos 'in £700m bid to buy Mercedes' with chemicals giant and Sir Jim Ratcliffe set to take 70 per cent share in Formula One team

• Mercedes' Formula One team are close to signing a £700 million sale to Ineos 
  • The chemical company agreed a £100m sponsorship with the team this season 
  • It has been claimed Ineos will take up a 70 per cent share in the manufacturer
  • The investment would mark Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s most significant foray into sport

https://www.dailymai...re-F1-team.html

Below the headline I see

...according to former F1 team boss Eddie Jordan...

It's the same gossip in a rag that's long since stop publishing news.  And I very much doubt Ineos pay £100m for the small advert on the Mercedes

Edited by Rodaknee, 12 September 2020 - 22:40.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,724 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:39

Leaving aside credibility for a moment...

What's in it for Ineos?

Is £700m a good price for Daimler?

#15 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:45

Why would they give up 1 billion of annual advertising value from a business that is expected to either break-even or post a profit (depending on the priorities) in the very near future? 

#16 FLB

FLB

• 29,668 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:46

What's in it for Ineos?

What was in it for Red Bull to buy Jaguar Racing? For Benetton to buy Toleman?

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,724 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:56

Well I can buy a can of Red Bull or some trendy knitwear in a shop, for a start!

#18 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 22:58

They both sell consumer goods.  I can't see many fans queuing up for free bottles of chemicals.  Ineos have an image problem in the UK, buying a F1 team won't help that.

#19 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,602 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:08

Pretty soon we'll be able to buy these from Ineos ... 

0_INEOS-Grenadier-Image-8-Backdrop-EMBAR

Advertisement

#20 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:11

Sad. I wanted to see Max and RBR-Honda crush Merc at the peak of their powers. 

#21 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:12

I hypothesised here several months ago that Mercedes might be on a path out of being a full F1 participant. The reason I put forward was that their road car range is heading for being fully electric in the future and therefore they could forsee a time when their image being closely linked to what might well come to be seen by the hoi polloi as an old fashioned, environmentally poor formula would not be what they want. I saw and still see them having a presence, for the time being, as an engine supplier.
Whatever.... this rumour fits.

#22 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:15

I hypothesised here several months ago that Mercedes might be on a path out of being a full F1 participant. The reason I put forward was that their road car range is heading for being fully electric in the future and therefore they could forsee a time when their image being closely linked to what might well come to be seen by the hoi polloi as an old fashioned, environmentally poor formula would not be what they want. I saw and still see them having a presence, for the time being, as an engine supplier.

All electric isn’t the future, you will see it’s a fools errand!

#23 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:36

I agree, especially if the energy source used to generate electricity is a fossil fuel... as is largely the case today around the world. But Daimler is by no means alone in declaring that it’s going electric. So I was merely putting up a view on what might play out.

#24 vlado

vlado

• 3,996 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:41

That was/is never going to happen. 

Edited by vlado, 12 September 2020 - 23:41.

#25 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:44

That was/is never going to happen.

It already has darling, Silverstone round 2 :)

#26 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:46

Your constant moaning about Merc dominance and your questioning over the legality of their PU suggests otherwise.  You'd rather Merc be hamstrung and fall behind than anything else.  Let's be honest here.

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:48

It does make sense given all the parties involved, but not at that price. At 700m you could sponsor the team for a decade...

#28 FLB

FLB

• 29,668 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 23:53

Agreed.

#29 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 00:01

He's predicting Merc leaving the sport for the last 10 years. If/when they eventually do I bet he will claim it as a scoop.

#30 FLB

FLB

• 29,668 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 00:02

It does make sense given all the parties involved, but not at that price. At 700m you could sponsor the team for a decade...

A sponsorship is an expense, the value (cost/return) of which shifts with time.

With the cost-to-enter fee (the franchise fee of $200M), it becomes more attractive to buy it if you intend to be in the sport for a while, as an investment. No matter what happens, at the end, you should be left at least with the cost-to-enter as a built-in residual value should you decide to exit.

The $200M is a game changer.

Edited by FLB, 13 September 2020 - 00:05.

#31 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,978 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 00:11

Jordans Irish, he's a gossip. Don't even start me on the messes this can create. Might his hunch be accurate in general sure. But then consider why a privately owned chem company would divest significant resources to an F1 team thats heavily integrated into Petronas? A lot of his info isn't stuff he's heard, it's people he's seen talking to each other and then he goes to someone else and asks "does that make sense?" and if they say yes he puts it out there. It's the wolff stroll anecdote from Kravitz at the weekend cranked up a little.

What the hell do you mean by this?

Edited by Ali_G, 13 September 2020 - 00:12.

#32 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,602 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 00:26

Agreed.

+1. I've been saying for years that Merc would likely be out whenever the rules change significantly.

#33 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 00:36

Seems like Mr Ineos wants a global sporting brand. He's already bought the Mercedes of the cycling world Team Sky.

#34 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,602 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 00:57

Seems like Mr Ineos wants a global sporting brand. He's already bought the Mercedes of the cycling world Team Sky.

Yeah, seems a bit like he might wanna do a 'Red Bull' with his new SUV brand...

www.ineosgrenadiers.com/

Egan1.jpg

#35 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:05

Your constant moaning about Merc dominance and your questioning over the legality of their PU suggests otherwise. You'd rather Merc be hamstrung and fall behind than anything else. Let's be honest here.

I wouldn’t consider it a hamstringing if they were previously using a design that was breaking the rules.

#36 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:21

I wouldn’t consider it a hamstringing if they were previously using a design that was breaking the rules.

That's a big if and there's been no evidence indicating any breach of the PU regulations by them, not even speculation.

#37 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 879 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:10

Think we now know the reason for Hamilton and Toto contract delay

#38 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:16

Think we now know the reason for Hamilton and Toto contract delay

What?  Eddie Jordan is doing that now?

#39 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:22

Do you really believe if that were the case, wouldn't Horner be all over it by now?  Seven years of practically the same engine winning and not a peep out of RB, Renault or the red cheats.  Only the true engine experts on social media know the truth.

Advertisement

#40 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:24

I could see Ineos taking a stake in the team, maybe Toto's (a very nice return for him), but not sure what would be in it for them with majority ownership vs a title sponsorship.

#41 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 879 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:24

What? Eddie Jordan is doing that now?

When did I say he was doing that? Anyway let's see if this rumour comes true.

If ineos buys the 70% stake in the F1 team I assume Mercedes will keep the remaining 30%?

Surely that then leaves Toto to move to Aston Martin with his buddy Stroll. Probably using his money from the sell of his stake in Mercedes F1 to buy into that. Is that the real reason for the signing of Vettel? Big experience name to put the team on the right track who toto probably would see as valuable asset to have.

This could all get interesting

Edited by Hakki069, 13 September 2020 - 07:29.

#42 Squeed

Squeed

• 2,544 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:27

Leaving aside credibility for a moment...

What's in it for Ineos?

Exactly.  Sell a marketing engine that produces promotional value that Daimler reports is in the multiple billions for a few hundred million? 

#43 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,916 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:36

Jordan has Bernie's ear and sometimes is used as a kite-flyer.  Hence sometimes his predictions are wild, sometimes dead-on, but it would not surprise me if there were not a grain of truth in all of them. 

#44 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,347 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:30

One thing that strikes me is that chemical industries are very much concerned about environmental issues. I don't see how entering that fossil-fuel-burning fest which is Formula 1 would improve their image. The cycling team, on the other hand, makes full sense.

#45 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:36

Jordan has Bernie's ear and sometimes is used as a kite-flyer.  Hence sometimes his predictions are wild, sometimes dead-on, but it would not surprise me if there were not a grain of truth in all of them. 

Bernie doesn't need anyone to hold the string of his kite, he's free to float his own rumours now.  Bernie's influence is now zero.  The FIA and FOM don't want to know, Horner might stay in contact and pass on some gossip, other teams were probably pleased to see the back of him.  I had hoped that when Ch4 binned the EJiot, we'd seen the last of him, sadly the old fool won't retire gracefully like Ron Dennis.

#46 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:42

Who have stopped winning this year.  Oops.

#47 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,064 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:53

Don’t forget the sailing world as well:

https://en.m.wikiped...i/Ineos_Team_UK

#48 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:53

One thing that strikes me is that chemical industries are very much concerned about environmental issues. I don't see how entering that fossil-fuel-burning fest which is Formula 1 would improve their image. The cycling team, on the other hand, makes full sense.

Ineos are attempting to obtain oil in the UK by fracking.  It's upset many who are concerned about environment, who found the decision to sponsor a cycling team ridiculous.

#49 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,044 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:55

Well I can buy a can of Red Bull or some trendy knitwear in a shop, for a start!

You have changed my image of you.

#50 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,856 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:57

Put all the energy back into the McLaren Mercedes partnership