- - - - -

Fernando Alonso has an autobiography due this year, maybe

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 13:20

I had forgotten all about the new Alonso documentary and am not sure what it covers. Has it all been filmed or is it happening week to week? If it’s the former, I like to think episodes should focus on him watching this season’s F1 races at home, eating a bag of crisps and reading his phone, maybe muttering asides to the camera about how Driver X is a swine or laughing as drivers he doesn’t like bin it in the barriers.

Also is that autobiography still happening? Or did I learn Spanish for nothing?

12th november.

pretty sure it's in English

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:38

12th november.

pretty sure it's in English

I was excited by this and looked it up on Amazon, but it looks like the autobiography isn’t out until September next year. Boo-urns, hopes raised and dashed. I wonder what route he will pick? Autobiographies tend to be one of three things - a chance to relive triumphs, to share the star’s hidden pain or to settle old scores.

#3 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:41

I was excited by this and looked it up on Amazon, but it looks like the autobiography isn’t out until September next year. Boo-urns, hopes raised and dashed. I wonder what route he will pick? Autobiographies tend to be one of three things - a chance to relive triumphs, to share the star’s hidden pain or to settle old scores.

In the case of Alonso, it could really fulfil all three things.

#4 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:43

I can't help but feel he will end every anecdote with the phrase "Needless to say, I had the last laugh"*

*Kudos for anyone who gets this reference. 

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:02

hm, Spanish press reported just last month the date I mentioned though. Amazon is often wrong with the release dates idk

#6 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:04

Thanks. In that case I will move the Alonso book news into its own thread and people can share updates, look for reviews and complain about the boring title.

e. And now we are in that new thread.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:09

Yeah, it’s called ‘Racer’, and this is no fun. Sporting autobiographies should be punny, it is a proud tradition. As per this old thread, we had plenty of ideas.

https://forums.autos...autobiographies

The group consensus seemed to be that really the title should feature six tenths or chickens in some way.

#8 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:12

Type faster, Fernando ....

#9 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,805 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:20

Wonder if he'll tell how much he offered to his McLaren mechanics..  :confused:

#10 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:48

What do you mean? According to Amazon it will be released on November 12th. It is the Kindle version that for some reason won't be there until September 2021.

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:51

Then I can’t read, I guess and must have been looking at the kindle version.

Also hurrah.

E. or not, I was looking at this page which lists it as September 21 2021

https://www.amazon.c...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=

#12 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:56

Then I can’t read, I guess and must have been looking at the kindle version.

Also hurrah.

E. or not, I was looking at this page which lists it as September 21 2021

https://www.amazon.c...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Hm weird, in the Spanish site it says November 2020 on the title:

https://www.amazon.e...00793761&sr=8-1

Only when clicking on Kindle it says September 2021.

Edit: in Spanish media it is also reported as November 2020: https://www.20minuto...n/?autoref=true

Edited by prty, 22 September 2020 - 16:57.

#13 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 17:01

Marklar reckons Amazon have the wrong date. Or maybe the English edition is out later?

#14 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 1,130 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 17:19

He wasn't finished with F1 so it had to be included - at least the beginning of his third stint with Renault. My guess...

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:16

fwiw the Spanish press report I saw at the time mentioned that the English version is the first to come out, with the Spanish version hopefully ready around that time. And more languages (Dutch, French) will follow through 2021 probably.

#16 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:23

Sophie, dime, ¿cuál fue la verdadera razón por la que querías aprender español?

Jp

#17 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:28

Yeah, it’s called ‘Racer’, and this is no fun. Sporting autobiographies should be punny, it is a proud tradition. As per this old thread, we had plenty of ideas.

The group consensus seemed to be that really the title should feature six tenths or chickens in some way.

How about "Fernando, Webber writes faster than you"?

#18 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:28

I'm disappointed ..... surely it should have been called ....

"Fernando is faster than you .... my life in the fast lane",

"Fernando Alonso ... the secrets of the 6 tenths"

"GP2 engine ... how to lose friends and alienate people ... and then win them back again"

or something man ... the guy has so much to work with!

Edited by jjcale, 22 September 2020 - 18:28.

#19 ATM

ATM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 19:19

All the time you have to leave-a da space. And I agree with it.

But an autobiography while making a come-back? I think usually people wait until retiring for good, just in case they have something touchy inside their book.

Advertisement

#20 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 19:21

All the time you have to leave-a da space. And I agree with it.

But an autobiography while making a come-back? I think usually people wait until retiring for good, just in case they have something touchy inside their book.

Some people do it after their first season.   ;)

#21 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:40

Probably as good a place as any to put this (and a forum search yielded no results) but for anyone interested you can currently secure yourself a signed copy of Fernando's upcoming book (signed by Fernando) at the moment. Got my pre-order in last week on Waterstones. Surprisingly extremely cheap.

EDIT:

Or not....nowhere selling the signed version at the moment (apart from inflated ebay sellers), but more importantly....Waterstones just emailed two minutes ago saying release now not until September 2021 as "the writing of this book has yet to be completed". They also say they can no longer guarantee that copies will be signed, so all signed orders are being cancelled.

Lazy Fernando! It's not like he has had a particularly busy 2020...

Edited by Imperial, 29 September 2020 - 15:13.
I moved it to the book thread.

#22 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 17:25

Yeah, FERNANDO. Get your butt back behind that typewriter and give us your version of Hungary 2007 pronto!

#23 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,641 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 20:46

I believe Alonso once said he was going to publish his autobiography when he was finished with F1 for good.  We may have to wait a while now.

#24 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 21:00

Yeah, FERNANDO. Get your butt back behind that typewriter and give us your version of Hungary 2007 pronto!

We already know that.

-Dennis told Alonso he would have an extra lap for trying to get pole

-Hamilton did not agree with that and disobeyed the team's orders

-GPS and lollipop man release Alonso quite late, that prevents Hamilton of doing another lap

-Alonso gets penalized for doing nothing, and that most likely makes him lose 2007 WDC.

#25 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 21:39

Oh I’m not thinking of getting some amazing new truth, I’m just keen to hear his version of significant events in his life. Didn’t he go and live in Italy as a kid to learn more racing experience? I’m sure I read that somewhere but I don’t know the reason why,  I just remember him saying he was horrifically homesick

#26 Beri

Beri

• 11,635 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 22:11

I'm disappointed ..... surely it should have been called ....

"Fernando is faster than you .... my life in the fast lane",

"Fernando Alonso ... the secrets of the 6 tenths"

"GP2 engine ... how to lose friends and alienate people ... and then win them back again"

or something man ... the guy has so much to work with!

Alonso.. F1 from a deck chair

#27 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 22:20

I'd like to see an honest retelling of Monaco from multiple perspectives, thats the most interesting and what kicked it all off in my opinion.

#28 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 517 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:02

Oh I’m not thinking of getting some amazing new truth, I’m just keen to hear his version of significant events in his life. Didn’t he go and live in Italy as a kid to learn more racing experience? I’m sure I read that somewhere but I don’t know the reason why,  I just remember him saying he was horrifically homesick

I don’t know if Nando did live in Italy as a kid but I seem to remember reading something similar about Daniel Ric and his karting days in Italy. The one I remember reading about Nando was how his father would drive him back to Spain from Italy (iirc) overnight after karting competitions and he would sleep in the car and go to school the next day while his father went straight back to work. Definitely a very supportive daddy he has, like many of the other drivers.

Personally, I would love to get the true story of what really happened in that test accident in 2015. Conflicting accounts from the team and Fernando but they all decided not to speak further of it. Wonder if the truth will ever come out though.

I have taken a look at the publisher’s website and the original release date of Nov 12 ‘2020 is still there. Quite confusing. 

https://www.panmacmi...r/9781509893614

#29 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:45

Alonso is going to delay his book:

Speaking ahead of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix on an Instagram Live session with his Alpine team, Alonso said the book was definitely going ahead – but would not be out for some time.
“I've been working on a book for a couple of years already,” he said. “I planned originally to send it out in 2018 when I left F1.
“But then we postponed it for quite some time now because I realised that I kept racing in different categories and am now back in F1.
“So I will do it when I stop, and I can tell my own experiences and my own truth of things.

“Because if the book comes out while I'm racing, then maybe it's a little bit strange. So I prefer to finish and then tell my experience of my life in motor racing.”
The Alonso autobiography, titled ‘Racer’, has been listed on bookstores for a while now, and currently has a provisional release date of September 2022.
However, if Alonso says it will not come out while he is competing, then it would be set to be pushed back further because he is contracted to Alpine until at least the end of next year.

https://www.autospor...rement/6272835/

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:36

Hope the price ends .60 

#31 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:05

I have grown to love how Alonso said that ONE TIME but it will follow him forever. Six tenths back, no doubt.

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:10

He is this era's David Coulthard.

#33 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,274 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:36

Quick interpretation: When I knife everyone in the back and pass the blame to others it will be awkward walking through the paddock, probably best when I am no longer working in the sport. 

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:41

Never stopped him before?

#35 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:44

Seems premature.

#36 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:46

Surely this era's David Coulthard is Valterri Bottas?

#37 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:52

Never stopped him before?

Yeah, much as I’d like Alonso to be saving a bunch of dramatic truth bombs to lob only once he’s clear of the blast radius, he’s always seemed in the mould of ‘slags you off behind your back right to your face’.

#38 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,332 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 13:16

I would read this in a heartbeat. Pay for it even!  :p But to gauge any sort of accuracy and authenticity, instead of merely gratuitous self promotion, I would expect he gives the reader insight into his personal pain and disappointment of not winning more than 2 titles. I’m not expecting him to admit he made mistakes with team selection or his political ways, but neither do I expect an autobiography where he’s pretending he’s kicking all the goals because he’s won in F1, Indy, raced Dakar etc yet foregoes mentioning that it has been difficult for him not to achieve at least a 3rd WDC given the calibre of driver that he is.

But yeah, I’ll buy it since he’s one of the very few drivers I think has a genuinely interesting story to tell, and hopefully it doesn’t disappoint.

#39 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 13:20

I lost it at the headline where they put truth in quotation marks. lmao

Edited by Marklar, 15 April 2021 - 13:21.

Advertisement

#40 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 13:41

Quick interpretation: When I knife everyone in the back and pass the blame to others it will be awkward walking through the paddock, probably best when I am no longer working in the sport. 

That's how I interpret it too. Not sure about passing the blame, hh could be telling the truth but that's up to the reader to believe or not.

#41 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,274 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 13:47

Surely this era's David Coulthard is Valterri Bottas?

Even in Bottas's dreams he isn't as good as DC. 

#42 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,680 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 14:18

I think he just wants to wait until the relevant parties (...ehemm...) are retired  :lol:

#43 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 1,130 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 16:02

What? How is that?

#44 MotorsportChat

MotorsportChat

• 81 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 17:34

So not the book on 'how to foster good relationships with

Do elaborate.. 

#45 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,677 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 17:43

Even in Bottas's dreams he isn't as good as DC.

I'd say he's probably objectively better but they play a similar role in F1 in their respective day.

Edited by PlatenGlass, 15 April 2021 - 18:43.

#46 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 17:48

I have grown to love how Alonso said that ONE TIME but it will follow him forever. Six tenths back, no doubt.

And that's before even considering it meant something completely different than what (most) people think it does. :D

But that's always how this stuff goes, it's like nick names in school. Futile to fight it, just let it run.

#47 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 02:04

I'd say he's probably objectively better but they play a similar role in F1 in their respective day.

Bottas perhaps has a touch more raw speed. On race day though? Give me DC.

#48 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 517 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:20

I know the talking point from yesterday’s Alpine insta-live thing is Alonso’s biography, and obviously this thread is for the topic, but something else that he said I found quite interesting.

He mentioned during the interview that he is staying at the team’s motor home at the track this weekend. I’m surprised to hear this, as I always imagined that the drivers would be staying at some swanky hotels and drive fancy cars to get to the circuit on race weekends. 

Just wondering if it is common for drivers to stay at the motor homes during race weekends, or is this another one of things due to the pandemic?

(I know it’s OT but since some here are talking about DC and Bottas and who knows why these are relevant to this topic, I figured I’ll just give it a shot here since I’m quite curious about this  :D )

#49 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:48

I know the talking point from yesterday’s Alpine insta-live thing is Alonso’s biography, and obviously this thread is for the topic, but something else that he said I found quite interesting.

He mentioned during the interview that he is staying at the team’s motor home at the track this weekend. I’m surprised to hear this, as I always imagined that the drivers would be staying at some swanky hotels and drive fancy cars to get to the circuit on race weekends.

Just wondering if it is common for drivers to stay at the motor homes during race weekends, or is this another one of things due to the pandemic?

(I know it’s OT but since some here are talking about DC and Bottas and who knows why these are relevant to this topic, I figured I’ll just give it a shot here since I’m quite curious about this :D )

it is common, yes. About half of the grid does that (even people like Lewis or Seb), especially now with Covid where you rather dont want to check into hotels if possible, but it was already common before it

Edited by Marklar, 16 April 2021 - 06:49.

#50 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:39

Is he going to knife people in the back? Is he just generating interest in his book, which will ultimately be more diplomatic? Only time will tell....but if the latter, it will surely succeed. There must be many of us who want to know more about his side of the story in 2007, and about the 2nd McLaren stint....crashgate.....his titles with Renault....and so on. Ultimately he's had a very long and varied career so it will be an interesting read regardless of what he says.