Fernando Alonso documentary for Amazon prime

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:05

I guess it must be Alonso month again with all the Alonso news. It seems to come round earlier every year! Anyway this thread is to discuss the documentary he has made for Amazon Prime. It covers the period after he stopped driving fulltime for McLaren but:

• Still doing testing/ ambassador stuff for McLaren
  • Making an ill-fated attempt to drive the Indy 500 with them (which gets one and a bit episodes),
  • Attempting to win the WEC with Toyota
  • Drive the Dakar Rally
  • Keeping a shyly hopeful eye on the F1 Situations Vacant page

Plus stuff in his everyday life like keeping sidelines like his T-shirt and sunglasses (?) business going or playing tennis with Carloz Sainz snr (who always seems the nicest man in the world.) He also offers McLaren feedback on their F1 car which mysteriously appears to weird out Sainz jnr who throws him a hilarious DUDE, REALLY? type look when Alonso offers his view that the car has steering issues.

Along the way we meet what is almost a travelling court to Prince Fernando - a following retinue of physios, old schoolfriends, managers, his girlfriend Linda, his elder sister Lorena and legendary rally car drivers (well, just the one of those). All of them seem fiercely devoted in their own way to this unusual, very intense person who you get the impression puzzles them at times or even worries them occasionally. They all seem to have quietly concluded this is a rather eccentric human being. (The real deal of these never, ever thinks THEY are the eccentric one, incidentally. Those who merely aspire to this label have a tedious 'look how wacky I am!' quality, but true eccentrics don't get why everyone doesn't see it like they do. So whether he's independently inventing the Pomodoro method or gently scorning his sister for being a chump for studying the whole of a subject when she could just study the main bits, he lovingly shakes his head at a wilfully blind humanity.)

You have the option of watching this dubbed or subtitled. To each their own, of course but it's very weird hearing an actor's voice coming out of Alonso's head instead of his usual rather mournful high-pitched tones. I suspect if you like Fernando alonso, you will enjoy the documentary. I do, and I did. If you don't, I suspect it won't change your mind.

Has anyone else seen this? What did you think?

edit: Link https://www.amazon.c...1/dp/B08JQ7QJ9C

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:11

You have the option of watching this dubbed or subtitled.

This shouldnt be a choice. Always Subs > Dub :p

#3 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:14

Interesting! Will watch it later this week.  :up:

btw: why the hell would anyone _want_ to watch anything dubbed?

Edited by Piif, 28 September 2020 - 19:14.

#4 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:16

What is the title? I cannot find it

#5 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:19

I’ve seen the first couple.  I chose dubbed but except for the English speakers it was sub titled.  

#6 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:21

Search for Fernando Alonso, scroll about halfway down and the episodes are on blue backgrounds.  Even though I watch primarily racing things it didn’t suggest it to me until I’d watched one.

Direct link

https://watch.amazon...os_season&r=web

Edited by loki, 28 September 2020 - 19:25.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:26

It’s called ‘Fernando’. I put a link in the OP now.

#8 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:27

Please be a bit more respectful. There are Germans on this forum.

#9 skicrack

skicrack

• 285 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:30

This shouldnt be a choice. Always Subs > Dub :p

I wish everyone in Germany had the same idea 😅

#10 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 19:30

Please be a bit more respectful. There are Germans on this forum.

I would like to drag you for this but unfortunately you are right. We are really dubbing everything :lol:

(except for the Alonso documentary, apparently)

#11 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 510 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:58

I watched it over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Dakar episodes are the most interesting for me, probably because there wasn’t much live action that we could see via main stream media for the Dakar unlike the Indy or WEC races that he did. Or, at least I didn’t know where to find it at that time, and what a pity it was, as the bits of Dakar race action featured made for compelling viewing with the stunning scenery and the rough terrain that the drivers sped through like mad, often in the dust. It’s another world compared to the glitz and glamor of F1, and I have difficulty imagining many of the current F1 drivers wanting to take up the challenge. 

It was lovely to see the camaraderie amongst the drivers in the Dakar, and champions like Carlos Sainz Snr and Nasser Al-Attiyah acting as Fernando’s mentor, with Nando returning the favor to Nasser by stopping to offer a spare tire during the race. I have mad respect for Sainz Snr, to be able to win this  race the third time at the age of 56.  He does also seem to be genuinely very fond of Nando. 

Another thing that occurred to me while watching was how much of a doppelgänger to Mark Webber is Marc Coma, his co-driver (besides being a great partner, always calm and doing a fantastic job of navigating despite it being his first time). Quite coincidental that they have essentially the same first name too.

I get the sense that Toyota really pulled out all the stops to support Nando in his Dakar adventure, with the various test runs, and warm up races before the big event, and putting together a great team behind him, including a chief mechanic who seems such a fun and chill guy even if he had to put in quite a bit of extra hours with the two incidents that Fernando got into. I guess Toyota also got sufficient returns for their efforts with all the publicity with a major motorsport name plugging their cars for them 

Something quite random but the scene showing Nando and his group having dinner in their trailer when he tried to grab a fly buzzing around with one hand. I fully expected him to show us the fly that he caught ala kungfu panda or like Lizzy Bennet in the Pride & Prejudice Zombies movie (where the Bennet ladies from Jane Austen’s classic were actually zombie slayers trained in the art of Shaolin martial arts. Sounds weird but it’s actually quite funny). But alas, nothing. Missed opportunity to show even more versatility, I guess. Maybe something they can try again in the next season. I mean, in terms of special skills that will come in quite handy, it will rank right up there with Nando cracking a walnut with his neck  :D 

Which leads me to my final thought, what would season 2 cover? It’s been reported that there will be a season 2 featuring his return to F1. I wonder if it will be focusing just on preparations for his return or will it actually include stuff during the F1 season (either way we would probably see quite a bit of Cyril Abiteboul in it, I’m undecided whether if it will be a good thing). Also wonder if there will be any conflict with Netflix’s Drive to Survive, which I assume will still be going on next year.

#12 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 639 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:39

I'm 30 min and it feels like a never ending party political broadcast, tell me it gets better?!!!! 

#13 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,653 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:42

GP2 Engine.

#14 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:21

Interesting! Will watch it later this week. :up:

Some countries dub all foreign movies and series, so, I guess it's a matter of familiarity and not being used to reading whilst watching. I'm lucky that here in Portugal we sub everything in a foreign language, it helps you learn English (or any other language), dubbing is said to be a big reason why many Spanish people struggle to learn English.

I'll figure out a way to watching the Alonso doc soon.. Anyone already watched, is it good? BTW anyone caught the Fangio one on Netflix, I didn't hear anything about it anywhere so I suppose it's probably not that great?

#15 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:55

I'm 30 min and it feels like a never ending party political broadcast, tell me it gets better?!!!! 

I do suspect you need to be quite a fan in the first place, so I suspect no, I don't think it will get better for you.

I was trying to imagine what I'd make of it if I wasn't already a fan. I was thinking about what someone who had never watched a race in their life or ever heard of Alonso would make of it and couldn't decide if they'd like it less or more than someone with a pre-existing deep background knowledge + pre-existing little interest in him 

#16 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:17

It's Amazon Prime.. I won't be paying for that

#17 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,168 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:25

Oh well who knows, after watching I might be very critical to his work... or else...  :up:

#18 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:00

I'll watch this. My attitude towards Alonso is never consistent but I have always admired and respected his talent, a truly amazing driver. I didn't like him at Renault and didn't like him at McLaren however I did admire him while at Ferrari. I certainly like him more in older age and respect his attempts at various other racing series.

#19 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:02

It's Amazon Prime.. I won't be paying for that

First month is for free, you can cancel straight away then

Advertisement

#20 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 497 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:50

I would like to drag you for this but unfortunately you are right. We are really dubbing everything :lol:

(except for the Alonso documentary, apparently)

Are German subtitles even a thing? You’d need a minimum 50״ screen for some of those words lol.

#21 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:53

First month is for free, you can cancel straight away then

Did that already. Hence my opinion.

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 13:01

Are German subtitles even a thing? You’d need a minimum 50״ screen for some of those words lol.

I've never seen anything subtitled on TV, even Interviews get voiced over (which is horrible, because they do change the meaning quite a lot sometimes). But yes, there are some good series on Netflix which surprisingly only have a sub, but that's due to popularity more than anything. If it was remotely popular it would be dubbed straight away :p

#23 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 13:10

It’s called ‘Fernando’. I put a link in the OP now.

Please tell me they have included ABBA playing in the background.

Edited by GoldenColt, 29 September 2020 - 13:12.

#24 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,084 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 16:44

I was looking for 'Fernando' on Amazon last nite, intending to start watching. But a ran across 'The Boys of Bonneville' & watched that instead. It's about Ab Jenkins, who at one time owned just about every speed and endurance record. I highly recommend watching it!

#25 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 219 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 16:45

Only watched the first episode and I am indeed a fan of Fernando, however this is a bit boring...

#26 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 17:29

I had no idea about the German fondness for dubbing things so this thread has been educational!

#27 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 478 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 17:31

Great film, Dakar parts are top. :up:

#28 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 18:17

The Dakar episodes are the most interesting for me, probably because there wasn’t much live action that we could see via main stream media for the Dakar unlike the Indy or WEC races that he did. Or, at least I didn’t know where to find it at that time, and what a pity it was, as the bits of Dakar race action featured made for compelling viewing with the stunning scenery and the rough terrain that the drivers sped through like mad, often in the dust. It’s another world compared to the glitz and glamor of F1, and I have difficulty imagining many of the current F1 drivers wanting to take up the challenge. 

It was lovely to see the camaraderie amongst the drivers in the Dakar, and champions like Carlos Sainz Snr and Nasser Al-Attiyah acting as Fernando’s mentor, with Nando returning the favor to Nasser by stopping to offer a spare tire during the race. I have mad respect for Sainz Snr, to be able to win this  race the third time at the age of 56.  He does also seem to be genuinely very fond of Nando. 

Another thing that occurred to me while watching was how much of a doppelgänger to Mark Webber is Marc Coma, his co-driver (besides being a great partner, always calm and doing a fantastic job of navigating despite it being his first time). Quite coincidental that they have essentially the same first name too.

I get the sense that Toyota really pulled out all the stops to support Nando in his Dakar adventure, with the various test runs, and warm up races before the big event, and putting together a great team behind him, including a chief mechanic who seems such a fun and chill guy even if he had to put in quite a bit of extra hours with the two incidents that Fernando got into. I guess Toyota also got sufficient returns for their efforts with all the publicity with a major motorsport name plugging their cars for them 

Something quite random but the scene showing Nando and his group having dinner in their trailer when he tried to grab a fly buzzing around with one hand. I fully expected him to show us the fly that he caught ala kungfu panda or like Lizzy Bennet in the Pride & Prejudice Zombies movie (where the Bennet ladies from Jane Austen’s classic were actually zombie slayers trained in the art of Shaolin martial arts. Sounds weird but it’s actually quite funny). But alas, nothing. Missed opportunity to show even more versatility, I guess. 

Great film, Dakar parts are top. :up:

Having finished watching it all, definitely agree the Dakar portions are the strongest. The scenery is spectacular and whether true or not, Carlos Sainz’s comment about how you are travelling at times where literally no human as stood looks plausible, so alien and desolate it all looks. The obvious camaraderie and sheer love of what the Rally drivers and their teams do really shines through extremely strongly. It’s rather hard to describe but I see it with the bikes, the riders and their fans too - a sense of everyone coming together in a community because they love it and how it makes all the discomfort, travel and stress of the mechanical upkeep worthwhile. I also very much enjoyed the way the mechanics watched Fernando’s efforts to pitch in with the repairs/ upkeep with a sort of folded arms curiosity, as if they weren’t quite sure to be amused at the big star mooching about with wrenches under the car or impressed he was getting his hands dirty.

I would happily watch other documentaries about teams taking part in this and I know bugger all about Rally. 

#29 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 18:49

Having finished watching it all, definitely agree the Dakar portions are the strongest. The scenery is spectacular and whether true or not, Carlos Sainz’s comment about how you are travelling at times where literally no human as stood looks plausible, so alien and desolate it all looks. The obvious camaraderie and sheer love of what the Rally drivers and their teams do really shines through extremely strongly. It’s rather hard to describe but I see it with the bikes, the riders and their fans too - a sense of everyone coming together in a community because they love it and how it makes all the discomfort, travel and stress of the mechanical upkeep worthwhile. I also very much enjoyed the way the mechanics watched Fernando’s efforts to pitch in with the repairs/ upkeep with a sort of folded arms curiosity, as if they weren’t quite sure to be amused at the big star mooching about with wrenches under the car or impressed he was getting his hands dirty.

I would happily watch other documentaries about teams taking part in this and I know bugger all about Rally. 

Try Race to Dakar (also on Amazon Prime), featuring Charley Boorman (he of the Ewan McGregor motorcycle trips among other things!).  Bikes instead of cars, but dates back to when it did actually finish in Dakar, instead of a few thousand miles away!

#30 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 19:08

Try Race to Dakar (also on Amazon Prime), featuring Charley Boorman (he of the Ewan McGregor motorcycle trips among other things!).  Bikes instead of cars, but dates back to when it did actually finish in Dakar, instead of a few thousand miles away!

Thanks!  :up:

(Dakar still being called Dakar reminds me of how Taggart kept its name even after Detective Chief Inspector Jim Taggart himself had been dead for over a decade.)

#31 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 00:10

Having just watched this documentary series I can honestly say that I left it with a new found respect for the guy, he really just loves all motorsport and can adapt to anything and be quick. Hats off and I see him in a completely new light, I knew he is one of the best ever to driver a F1 car but to see his human side and desire to win and his ability to adapt. Hats off.

#32 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:58

I thought it was kinda meh until the last episode. Outside the Dakar stuff, there was not that much new stuff.

#33 prty

prty

• 8,417 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:55

I think in Spain similar "documentaries" about him have been done many times, so there's not so much new. Probably outside Spain there are more interesting / unseen aspects.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:55

Second series looms ahead!

@alo_oficial
#Fernando season two is in the starting block! 🚦🏁 Follow my come back to F1 on August 27th only on @PrimeVideoES . For now, enjoy the trailer! 🎬 #amazon #season2

https://twitter.com/...2763773979?s=21

Hopefully also with subtitles on other Amazon territories.

#35 andyz

andyz

• 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:14

Interesting! Will watch it later this week.  :up:

Might be better than the original.  Especially if one does not like the way the original "actor" talks.

#36 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:18

Might be better than the original.  Especially if one does not like the way the original "actor" talks.

Always seems extremely weird to hear Fernando being dubbed, his voice is so distinctive. But an excuse to show this silly advert again to demonstrate that:

#37 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:19

Too much me, me - you’d have to be a fan to sit through 40 minutes of that. Benson represented, lol!

#38 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:20

Too much me, me - you’d have to be a fan to sit through 40 minutes of that. Benson represented, lol!

Well, it's called "Fernando", I think the warning is there in the title!