Photo

Paris, 21 December, 1903

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 178 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 15:33

I have a photo, dated 21 December, 1903 showing a French car in Paris (sorry I am not allowed to publish it yet). The caption suggests it may have been taken at a race. Now this brand is virtually unknown - missing from from books, have not been mentioned in magazines etc. 

On 21 December, 1903 the Salon de l'Automobile was in full swing in Paris. The Belgian king visited the show. Can you imagine that a little sporting event may have been held on that day separate from the show? Where can I check it? Looked on Gallica and CNAM, so far no luck. 

Thank you

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 18:36

IIRC I read somewhere two of the Rothschilds raced a couple of 60hp Benzes from Paris to Monte Carlo somewhere in this time frame, could this be anything to do with your photo ?

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 20:10

Interesting question.  The journal 'La France Automobile' covers the Paris Salon at some length, as one would expect, but there's nothing I can find about any race actually coinciding with the exhibition.  

However, the journal's issue dated January 2, 1904, lists the Salon Concours winners.  The only possibly unusual manufacturers' names I see there are Krieger and Electrique Milde for electric cars - and Chaboche for steam cars.  All the other marque titles are relatively familiar - Jeantaud, de Dietrich, CGV, Panhard et Levassor, Napier, Bollee, Schneider, Chenard et Walcker etc...  

I doubt if this helps one iota, but...

DCN

#4 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:02

This car built in Nice by Charles Gibert remained relatively unknown and appeared in December 1903 (from L'Automobile - Revue du Litoral/Nice, 1 January 1904):

gibert03.jpg