Photo
- - - - -

Let's pretend the pandemic is over. Which race (or rally, or whatever you like) would you visit first?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:08

I've been struck with a thunderbolt of optimism (or at least desire for wish fulfilment) and thought that one day we'll all be able to go to race tracks and watch drivers do their thing in the flesh again. Assuming that everything starts up again, what's top of your list? What's going to get you out of the house and onto the motorway at 7am in order to sample the beautiful early-morning ambience, smell the dew on the run-off areas and waste a day in the best way possible?

Personally I would really like to go and see a British Superbike race somewhere intimate and amphitheatrical, most likely Brands Hatch, or Donington because it's closer. You get track action from mid-morning to sundown, the series is full of personality and drama, it's something like 25 quid a ticket, and the food is terrible.

Also when I drive up to my in-laws I go past a sign for Loton Park hillclimb. No idea what that's like but I ought to drop in. Like Homer Simpson when he heard that Mr T was at the mall, I've kept putting it off and now I have a pang of pre-regret that it may be too late.

Through luck and simply hanging around long enough, I have also achieved the household income bracket where going to the British Grand Prix wouldn't be an unforgiveable thing to do to the family finances. Maybe I should see some F1 cars instead of just moan about them?

Over to you?

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:12

BTCC Thruxton has become an annual regular thing for me. But the thing that COVID has actually ruined for me was my plans to do the Indy 500, so that would be the plan.

#3 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,960 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:14

Whatever race comes first in the endurance-series I was supposed to do this year. I do however want to go to an F1 race again, but go by myself this time, and splash out a bit of cash, just for the experience :)

#4 FNG

FNG

• 5,761 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:42

Any high end rally event would be awesome. Unfortunately we don't have any in western Canada. Would love to go to rally Finland one of these days

#5 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,960 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:48

Any high end rally event would be awesome. Unfortunately we don't have any in western Canada. Would love to go to rally Finland one of these days

Oh. I was thinking race exclusively when I answered this thread. Even though the title says "or rally".

I think the next event I'll visit is Rally Sweden 2021. I really think that will be possible :)

Edited by Myrvold, 04 October 2020 - 18:48.

#6 FLB

FLB

• 29,672 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:49

Something at Mont-Tremblant. Or Mosport.

#7 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:52

IMSA and/or Nascar at Watkins Glen.

#8 red stick

red stick

• 14,104 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:53

Rolex 24 at Daytona.

After deprivation, maximum immersion.   :cool:

Although January is likely too soon, and Florida's run by someone I have no faith in.  So more likely IndyCar at Barber.

Edited by red stick, 04 October 2020 - 19:53.

#9 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 18:53

Also this is exactly the medicine of this moment. Visualization will go a long way.

#10 Mark1865

Mark1865

• 442 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 19:15

Planning to go to the Portuguese GP in a few weeks (so not exactly after the pandemic!).

This still depends on health, restrictions/lockdowns and flights not being cancelled. Fingers crossed.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 19:18

Wow, good luck! Please post some pictures to make us white-hot(?) with envy.

#12 taz

taz

• 557 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 19:51

F1 @ Spa-Francorchamps in 2021

I'm a Belgian F1 fan since 1997 but i've never seen an F1 race live, not even the Belgian Gp :drunk:

I don't like to go alone since no-one of my friends like autosport. I've always wanted to go with my dad but it just never happened. And it never will, he died this summer :cry:

Made my realize i don't have to doubt so much and live more, do more stuff.

But my uncle (my dad's brother) promised to go with me to the race next summer, cause he knows it means so much to me now :up:

So looking forward to it :D

Edited by taz, 04 October 2020 - 19:53.

#13 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,292 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 20:22

I'll take my son to the 2021 24hr of Le Mans.

#14 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,292 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 20:23

Or the Mugello MotoGP race.

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 20:30

I'm a Belgian F1 fan since 1997 but i've never seen an F1 race live, not even the Belgian Gp :drunk:
I don't like to go alone since no-one of my friends like autosport. I've always wanted to go with my dad but it just never happened. And it never will, he died this summer :cry:
But my uncle (my dad's brother) promised to go with me to the race next summer, cause he knows it means so much to me now :up:

Sorry to hear that Taz. Hope it's one to remember. :)

#16 djparky

djparky

• 1,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 20:39

Indy 500 for me

#17 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,075 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 20:39

Depends entirely on when in the year things got back to normal...

...but right now I have a really strong desire to go to Le Mans.

#18 Mark1865

Mark1865

• 442 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 20:48

Wow, good luck! Please post some pictures to make us white-hot(?) with envy.

Thanks, will do!

It sounds like we’ll be confined to our seats for all three days so I don’t expect to get too close.

#19 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,204 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 23:00

My wife is chomping at the bit to get to an IndyCar race after this season. St. Pete next year or the 500 are likely destinations. Neither of us have been to see the 500 though I've been to IMS before, so to return would be pretty special.

Advertisement

#20 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 23:50

Earlier his summer, when they were chopping and changing the World Rally Championship events, there was a possibility that this weekend [Oct 2-4th] they'd have 2 FIA World events in close proximity to each other....WRC Ypres and World Rallycross at Spa.  I'd have loved to have gone over to watch both....  

#21 Raemius

Raemius

• 318 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 00:52

I was booked to go to Hanoi at the beginning of this year until COVID crapped on the whole thing. So, if we ever get back to normal, that's the first to put back on my list.

#22 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:16

MotoGP at Assen.

#23 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,960 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:30

Earlier his summer, when they were chopping and changing the World Rally Championship events, there was a possibility that this weekend [Oct 2-4th] they'd have 2 FIA World events in close proximity to each other....WRC Ypres and World Rallycross at Spa.  I'd have loved to have gone over to watch both....  

Well, they will have both at Spa later this year :)

#24 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:50

Depends on how my travel plans post-pandemic happen. If intercontinental travel is a thing again in early 2022, then I'm hoping to see the first round of that season of Super GT or Super Formula, depending on how easy it is to get to whichever track hosts either, while on a 3-week trip to Japan. Super GT in the past tended to start its season at the formerly-known-as-TI Aida circuit, which is all the way in the boonies about 100 km from Okayama with no easy way to reach except by car, while Super Formula usually starts at Suzuka and there's a train stop on a line from Nagoya within 10 mins' walk of the track.

If not, the next motorsport event I definitely plan to attend is all the way into 2023, and it is the centenary edition of Le Mans. And I will be doing my best to experience it from the best seats in the house (and that means trying to snag a paddock/pitwalk/gridwalk ticket again, with possibly also an ACO grandstand ticket).

#25 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:12

I'd love to go to Mugello if it comes up again. :rotfl:

#26 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,921 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:22

There are always someone here on the boards that go to Spa for the GP. So go by your own and make arrangements to meet people from here at the circuit. I've been to Spa 3 times for the GP and once for the 1000km. Wouldn't mind going again. If nothing else, then for the frites!  :clap:

#27 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:28

Probably the Dutch GP as I have tickets for the weekend and the Dutch TT.

#28 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:08

I will be at Croft for the Christmas Stages Rally.

#29 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:27

Dick Dastardly, on 05 Oct 2020 - 00:50, said:snapback.png

Well, they will have both at Spa later this year  :)

But the problem is travelling to / from Belgium with having to quarantine etc.....also, they maybe run behind closed doors. Too many negatives to make it worth considering a trip  :evil: .  

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 05 October 2020 - 10:28.

#30 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 23:29

I had planned on going to the 12 Hours of Sebring for the first time this year, but I had to cancel my trip the day before I was due to leave. So that'd be the one I'd choose.

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,194 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 23:34

Isle of Man.

Jp

#32 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,607 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:58

Chili Bowl or Knoxville Nationals.

#33 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,110 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:03

Le Mans 24 Hours :clap:

#34 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,052 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:58

Personally I would really like to go and see a British Superbike race somewhere intimate and amphitheatrical, most likely Brands Hatch, or Donington because it's closer. You get track action from mid-morning to sundown, the series is full of personality and drama, it's something like 25 quid a ticket, and the food is terrible.

Brands Hatch, definitely; for me it would be the Formula Ford Festival. Ferocious racing in its purest form. Oh, and that will be me standing next to you at British Superbikes, so please don't get too intimate.

#35 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 15:09

My Monza tickets order already says it's for 2021, so hopefully that's it, pandemic permitting. Road America is a couple of hours from my place, so I'm 100% doing that as soon as it can be done safely (Wisconsin has been hot garbage and dealing with the pandemic).

#36 Pontlieue

Pontlieue

• 91 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 18:04

My Monza tickets order already says it's for 2021, so hopefully that's it, pandemic permitting. Road America is a couple of hours from my place, so I'm 100% doing that as soon as it can be done safely (Wisconsin has been hot garbage and dealing with the pandemic).

The day we have a COVID vaccine I'm booking tickets for Monza. I miss that place and its incredible atmosphere so much. There's no other place like it. 

Another dream for me is attending the Indy 500 in person and one day I will.

#37 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 18:09

The day we have a COVID vaccine I'm booking tickets for Monza. I miss that place and its incredible atmosphere so much. There's no other place like it.

Another dream for me is attending the Indy 500 in person and one day I will.

Without trying to derail too much, where would you recommend to sit? Last year we sat on the inside of T1 and found it to be typical of most GPs and surprisingly lacking in Tifosi (I guess due to the higher pricing?)

I’d definitely like to sort out a trip back to Budapest in 2021. Love the convenience of that place, especially compared to Milan for example.

#38 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 18:10

Possibly the Hungarian GP or WTCR round, because those are my realistic options at the moment. :lol: But the timing of this topic is a bit painful, because the organizers have just announced that the WTCR round will be held behind closed doors as well (the second wave is in full force here).

#39 Alex79

Alex79

• 848 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 19:19

Next edition of the Nurburgring 24 hours. Had to miss this year for the first time in 14 years :( Not that the weather was any good, but I can remember a few times when I was almost the ONLY person on the Mercedes Arena Tribune, watching a restart a 830 in the morning after a foggy night where the race was red flagged. Twice for bad weather, once because there were so many accidents they had to replace A LOT of catchfencing in four different places.

Advertisement

#40 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 729 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 20:54

Somewhere in Canada with my Dad. The race and locale matter less to me than the company.

#41 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 21:54

I was hoping that my first race would be the Bathurst 12hr but those bastards who run Supercar own the rights have killed it so they can hold yet another Supercar race there next year. Shame on them - a major disservice to Australian motorsport. As far as an overseas event goes, I've always wanted to go to the Macau GP.

Edited by RacingGreen, 06 October 2020 - 22:01.

#42 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 14:09

Well I was planning a trip to Scotland to visit some of the whisky distilleries, especially Oban, so I wouldn't mind watching a motor racing event anywhere in Scotland. :)

#43 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 626 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 16:42

The "pandemic" has been over since late May...

#44 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,052 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 16:53

The "pandemic" has been over since late May...

So which race meetings have you been to, and if you haven't, which are you really looking forward to?

#45 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,149 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 20:13

This thread has made me realise that I did a local countryside walk last year in which I managed to get within about two miles of Brands Hatch without realising it was there!  So that's definitely top of the list - a BTCC meeting will do nicely.

#46 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 22:23

24h of Le Mans with the new cars. Hopefully when the field is at its peak in terms of diversity. 

I always rued not being able to attend the 1999 edition with all the myriad of top cars present (I was 16 and our family was not that well off), so when I saw the number of Audis, Porsches and the quirky Nissans going to race in 2015 I quickly pulled the trigger. One of the best decisions I've ever made and I still look back on it fondly. Also, going to see Alonso win his first Le mans was an inspired choice, albeit the field at the top was unimpressive. The Ginettas, the byKolles and the SMP BR1s turned out to be all duds.

Visiting Le Mans you get so much for your money - 24+ hours of racing, Paris etc. Didn't like the terrorist incident in 2018 at the Le Mans parade though. Was meters from it. That **** was too close.

Edited by Dolph, 07 October 2020 - 22:25.

#47 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 5,610 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 22:26

If we are doing fantasyland, then I'd be buying tickets for Malaysia F1. Sadly not to be. The idea of the storms striking the mountains around you while cars whizz past made my hairs stand up even watching on TV let alone being there.

#48 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 5,610 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 22:28

Planning to go to the Portuguese GP in a few weeks (so not exactly after the pandemic!).

This still depends on health, restrictions/lockdowns and flights not being cancelled. Fingers crossed.

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

#49 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 23:01

If we are doing fantasyland, then I'd be buying tickets for Malaysia F1. Sadly not to be. The idea of the storms striking the mountains around you while cars whizz past made my hairs stand up even watching on TV let alone being there.

I don't think we were doing fantasyland.

Oh, I did visit WRC Rally Estonia in September. The pandemic wasn't over yet.

#50 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 23:07

That sucks, man. I took my dad to the British GP in 2013 (also London, Scotland, etc) and the 2015 Le Mans (+Paris). Also took him to the ski jumping Four Hills tournament + Switzerland, Germany and Austria. Was planning to take him to the Finnish Moto GP, but due to COVID that fell through. I took him there so we could have more 1 on 1 time + he had a very good career in a big factory in Soviet Estonia, which netted him zero ability to visit foreign countries and zero financial capabilities in post Soviet times.

Edited by Dolph, 07 October 2020 - 23:07.