Photo

A new Tom Pryce book

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DMB81

DMB81

• 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 14:13

Tom Pryce remains one of the most fondly remembered Formula One drivers from the 1970s. The reserved Welshman’s spectacular car control helped define arguably the most glamorous decade of Grand Prix racing. Now, more than 40 years on from his death while racing at Kyalami, a major new book celebrating his life is being published. Tom Pryce, Memories of a Welsh F1 Star by Those Who Knew Him will be released by Performance Publishing on December 1st 2020.
Authors Darren Banks and Kevin Guthrie have interviewed more than 60 people who knew Tom, from his early school days to his life as a famous Grand Prix driver. Contributors include Alan Rees, Tony Southgate, David Richards, John Watson, Jean-Pierre Jarier, Mike Wilds, Ian Flux, Danny Sullivan and Jackie Oliver. The result is a comprehensive and very personal tribute, which also features almost 200 images from both well-known racing photographers and private collections. It is produced with the blessing of Nella Pryce, Tom’s widow, who has kindly written the foreword and a chapter about her late husband. The introduction to the book is penned by renowned motorsport writer David Tremayne, a long-time fan and author of The Lost Generation.
The book itself is a 210 x 270 mm 168 page hardback in landscape format, priced at £35. A limited-edition of 100 copies is also available for £45. This features a bookplate signed by Nella Pryce, David Tremayne, Darren Banks and Kevin Guthrie. All profits will be donated to the Tom Pryce Memorial Fund.
https://www.performa...o-knew-him.html

Advertisement

#2 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 20:46

That is great news! Will be good addition. Evocative front page. How many pictures are in the book (C, b/w)?

#3 DMB81

DMB81

• 50 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 18:15

Just under 200 photos. A mix of colour and black and white, from his early childhood days right through to his tragic demise.

Many supplied by Nella Pryce from the family albums of his parents. All photos were donated free of charge to help in our efforts to raise the maximum amount for the fundraising campaign.

Edited by DMB81, 12 November 2020 - 18:16.

#4 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:12

Another book I need to have ......

Order placed.

#5 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:20

Many thanks for posting the link. I was unaware of this book and have many memories of seeing Tom Pryce race in the early 1970s.

Duly ordered......

#6 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 16:44

Book arrived today and it certainly meets my expectations.

A few names from this forum are familiar within in the contributions ........

#7 DMB81

DMB81

• 50 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 17:44

Many thanks, DN5.

We are certainly pleased with how the book turned out.

It's now available from Performance Publishing. All pre-orders have now been dispatched.

Darren

#8 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:38

It is a fabulous book which provides an intimate and affectionate reflection on Tom's life. Refreshing nowadays to find a motorsport book which doesn't challenge the structural integrity of your coffee table or require a frank discussion with your bank manager prior to purchase. You won't get 20 pages of career results and there is none of  "the next race was held at Jarama" style of journalism. If you need to know how Tom fared in the SuperVee race at the Palace (not too well) then Google is your resource.

It is fascinating to see how individual contributor's approach their memories of Tom - often revealing much about their own characters. Nella's contribution is predictably poignant and classy. I just love John Watson's recollection of attempting to introduce Tom to the finer things in life, taking him to an authentic Sicilian restaurant whereupon Tom orders "chicken and chips".

A consistent theme amongst the racers is of their experiences whilst lodging with Mrs Red Webb at her house on the A20 opposite Brands. Evidently a fiery no-nonsense Eastender who cared greatly for them all. Surely there is a book project there - "Red Webb - the Racers's Landlady".

A final couple of thoughts :

On the title page there is a photo of Tom in the Shadow. To the top of his helmet is attached a Meccano style strip of metal. So what's that all about - an attachment for an experimental visor or similar ?

I still have a few of my old school text books. Non-printed sections are filled with crude sketches of Lotus 49's and (by the 5th form) Lotus 72's. Cringingly the cockpit sides proudly displayed my name. Tom was no different - a photo is reproduced in the book of one of his notebook sketches. The car sketched is clearly a "lobster claw" BT34 so he must have been 20/21 by then and in his second year of FF - but still dreaming. These days the 21 year old racer is on their 2nd wife, 3rd dog, 4th season of F1 and about to do their 5th photo-shoot with Hello ! magazine.

Edited by moffspeed, 15 December 2020 - 20:10.

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 13:35

At 270mm wide it will just fit on my bookshelf - an IKEA "Billy" - the commonest bookshelf in the world.  Something many publishers seem to overlook
At £35 it is affordable.
So it's on my ongoing Christmas and Birthday (and when I have spare cash) list - and Christmas is coming.

One reservation:  As it's from Performance Press, could someone please confirm that the font is larger than the ridiculously small one adopted for their Stephen South book that requires a magnifying glass to read.

Edited by D-Type, 15 December 2020 - 18:13.

#10 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 16:17

At 270mm wide it will just fit on my bookshelf - an IKEA "Billy" - the commonest bookshelf in the world.  Something many publishers seem to overlook
At £45 it is affordable.
So it's on my ongoing Christmas and Birthday (and when I have spare cash) list - and Christmas is coming.

One reservation:  As it's from Performance Press, could someone please confirm that the font is larger than the ridiculously small one adopted for their Stephen South book that requires a magnifying glass to read.

The font is larger. I have it and it's a terrific piece of work.

#11 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 21:13

The font is larger- see https://www.facebook...52626092800730/

Feedback from the Ginther book was enough for the publisher to increase the font size they used (previously they used magazine font) for this one and all future Performance Publishing books.

I haven't got a copy yet (waiting for my birthday) but all feedback so far is very positive.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 16 December 2020 - 21:15.

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 20:19

The font is larger- see https://www.facebook...52626092800730/

Feedback from the Ginther book was enough for the publisher to increase the font size they used (previously they used magazine font) for this one and all future Performance Publishing books.

I haven't got a copy yet (waiting for my birthday) but all feedback so far is very positive.

Thanks for the heads-up :up: .  It is definitely on my wants list then.  Maybe even in bold type.

Edited by D-Type, 17 December 2020 - 20:26.

#13 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 526 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:27

I've been meaning to get round to posting my thoughts about this super publication since it arrived at the beginning of December; plans to read it over Christmas went out of the window when I started leafing through the early pages and I then devoured it in a couple of days. It really is a great book, packed with unseen and super-rare images from throughout Tom's career but not just restricted to his racing exploits; there are stacks of personal and non-racing photos throughout, all selected with thought and care.

The dozens of personal reflections sometimes cover the same ground but that in no way detracts from the narrative, as each contributor sees Tom through his/her own lens. Darren Banks and Kevin Guthrie have done an amazing job of tracking down pretty much every individual they could possibly have approached to provide input, and it's to their credit that the result is not only an affectionate tribute to a much-loved and much-missed driver, but that it also discloses the steel behind the apparently shy exterior and an unshakeable self-belief. I came away with the certainty that Tom really did know just how good he was - and so he should have. I should also add that David Tremayne's sympathetic editing and a user-friendly layout make for an enjoyable reading experience. 

The book provides a fascinating insight into the man, the people who meant so much to him and how life was for a young racing driver blessed with huge talent but few resources. Worth every penny, and given the altruistic aims of its creators to help fund a memorial to Tom, I heartily recommend buying a copy.

Edited by Jon Saltinstall, 15 January 2021 - 11:31.

#14 john aston

john aston

• 2,699 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:22

I  would endorse the comments made about this lovely book . A testament not only to a driver whom I admired greatly , but to the diligence the authors applied in obtaining so many memories from Tom's friends and family. I have made a separate comment in the book thread .  

#15 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 14:24

I saw in Autosport that the authors are donating proceeds from the sale of the book to Tom's primary school: this includes the Thomas Maldwyn Pryce Inspirational Pupil of the Year Award Trophy. The first award will be on 11 June 2023 on what would have been Tom's 74th birthday.

Source: 23 March Autosport

#16 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 20:15

I saw in Autosport that the authors are donating proceeds from the sale of the book to Tom's primary school: this includes the Thomas Maldwyn Pryce Inspirational Pupil of the Year Award Trophy. The first award will be on 11 June 2023 on what would have been Tom's 74th birthday.

Source: 23 March Autosport

This is fabulous news; as a part-time teacher I know just how easy it is to inspire young people to gain confidence and excel with such awards. I bet 'Mald' would have been very pleased to have this in his name.