* * * * - 7 votes

Lewis Hamilton - 7X World Champion

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#1 wrexter

wrexter

• 218 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:22

Today's race showed why Lewis deserves all 7 of his championships and more.

What a race. What a drive. What a champion.

Advertisement

#2 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,013 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:22

Greatest.

Of.

All.

Time.

#3 Topsu

Topsu

• 1,793 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:25

Next year, 8th. The world keeps turning.

#4 Kao18

Kao18

• 3,984 posts

Congrats Lewis, a well deserved win and 7th World Chanpionship!

#5 Calum

Calum

• 109 posts

Will need to buy a stack of newspapers tomorrow morning, per tradition.

It's been coming for a while, and assuming a new contract, 8 will be a certainty, but it still feels good!  :clap:

#6 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 10,247 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:26

Greatest.

Of.

All.

Time.

Equal

With

Weltmeister 

Schumacher.

Sorry, just couldn't resist making it "ewws"!

7 titles, at least one more to go! 2021 will be plain sailing! :)

#7 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 4,757 posts

A legend. One of the greats. An absolute machine and today he showed he's still in a class of his own.

He's become the perfect blend of Senna and Prost. Can't heap enough praise on him.

#8 Beri

Beri

• 4,533 posts

And what is the purpose of this thread..?

#9 wookles

wookles

• 546 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:27

To congratulate and discuss the World Champion.

We pretty much do it every year ?

Problem ?

#10 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 5,297 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:27

Don't start...

#11 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 5,297 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:28

Masterclass of a drive to finish a masterclass of a world championship.

#12 wrexter

wrexter

• 218 posts

To celebrate a champion. Feel free to stay out of it.

#13 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 6,269 posts

Congratulations to Lewis. 

Absolutely became the benchmark driver he looked to be since his rookie year.

He deserves it all.

#14 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,354 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:29

Go for 8 Lewish

#15 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 175 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:29

Want to open the 8 time Champion thread now, too?

Great job in the best team since 2014. Taken nearly every opportunity.

Will he go just for 8th, which is borderline default, or will he push for double digits?

#16 pit5bul

pit5bul

• 808 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:30

The greatest of them all, I remember watching that GP2 race in Turkey in 2006 and that recovery drive thinking this kid will be one of the good prospects, watching him matching Alonso and slowly overtaking him, i knew he was special, he is the best ever f1 driver, words are meaningless, today he showed the world just how special he is.

#17 peroa

peroa

• 10,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:31

I guess we will have to slap him silly if he even thinks about stopping next year.

Edited by peroa, 15 November 2020 - 12:31.

#18 wrexter

wrexter

• 218 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:31

There are threads for alot of things.

Surely a thread dedicated to celebrate the achievements of a history making driver shouldn't be anything out of order.

Only thing out of order is anyone so bitter to appreciate the achievement

Edited by wrexter, 15 November 2020 - 12:32.

#19 PurpleSectors

PurpleSectors

• 111 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:32

When he took a deep breath after Webber asked him about next year I thought he was about to retire. Thank god he didn’t!

Advertisement

#20 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 22,261 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:32

So enjoyable that he sealed it with such a magnificent drive!
Great work! Big, big congrats đź‘Ť

#21 Piif

Piif

• 1,575 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:33

Gongratulations Lewis!

Greatest of all time, in my books. What makes him different from Michael is that he's not as nasty to his opponents and has had team mates who have been allowed to compete with him. It's not his fault that they have not really been capable of doing it.  :up:

His drive today was one of the most distinguished I've seen, definetely one of his best.

Edited by Piif, 15 November 2020 - 12:33.

#22 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 11,407 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:33

I am very grateful for the inspiration Hamilton offers me and so many people around the world.

That is why I watch this sport. It speaks to me. And out of all drivers in all series, Lewis has found a way to motivate and embolden me on a personal level like no other.

Thank you.

#23 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 2,369 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:34

Absolute Masterclass, perfect way to seal Championship no 7.

What a driver, what a man, absolute privilege to watch.

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 51,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:35

Seven is heaven, but eight would be great.

Then he can be on cloud nine and shoot for a perfect ten.

#25 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 175 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:36

On best of all time, impossible to say that really - as the cars over the various eras have all been quite different. Different driving styles etc etc, but undoubtedly he is and always has been a superb talent. Shame the other teams haven’t been close enough for the whole hybrid era, to give him more days like today - where it’s impossible to argue against his solidity.

#26 TheFish

TheFish

• 1,031 posts

One of his best ever drives today. Perfectly sums up why he deserves all the trophies, wins and championships.

GOAT.

#27 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 6,269 posts

What makes him different from Michael is that he's not as nasty to his opponents and has had team mates who have been allowed to compete with him.

I feel exactly the same way, and I hope this sentiment isn't taken in bad taste. 

#28 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 10,220 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:37

Lewis Hamilton truly won his seventh championship in style. His best win of the year, and one of his great wet weather drives. Congrats! :clap:

It was quite obvious since Austria Hamilton would have little competition this year of course. But not every championship will be close, and you do have to work to put yourself in such a great position.

#29 Spillage

Spillage

• 7,272 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:37

Congratulations to Hamilton and Mercedes on a historic achievement.

#30 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:38

As I say every year, these threads started in the Vettel era. 

(Please respect the rules and contact the mods by PM instead of moaning here that there’s a thread you don’t like.)

#31 Hezekiah

Hezekiah

• 621 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:39

Masterclass of a second stint to bring up his seventh title.

Not an exciting race, but I genuinely believe his tyre management is getting better. Incredible driver.

#32 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 2,696 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:41

People who says he win just because he have the best car is missing the point. Guy has been phenomenal in any conditions. From the get go in junior series he was having races that was so good he got into f1 in no time. And if not for bad luck he would have become the first rookie champ in 2007, and probably should have won at least 3 WCC with Mclaren themselves. 

He will win the 8 and probably the 9 too and be the best ever. 

#33 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 2,091 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:41

Congratulations Lewis Hamilton!

Certainly will be in any future conversation about "who's the GOAT?" 

#34 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,935 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:59

What a way to celebrate No. 7. A remarkable drive in Turkey like back in GP2. Hats off

#35 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 2,901 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:05

Fantastic driver. Supremely talented. So happy that the 7x WDC clinching win was preceded by a look back at his amazing drive to 2nd in 2006 at the same circuit. Fans got to see the raw talent that set the world ablaze in a GP2 championship defining moment, followed by the polished veteran lighting up an overcast day in an F1 championship clinching moment. You got to see that he as all the pace and racing chops that have allowed him to compile the massive collection of accolades that he has today.

Pre-2013, many of us Lewis fans waxed fantastical about what could happen if one day, who we thought was the best driver on the grid, could get paired with the best car on the grid. At that time, we all thought it would be Red Bull, but Mercedes came through when it counted. Best driver + best car = best team. These are the rewards of greatness. It looks easy because Lewis makes it look easy. Other drivers might have wins and championships in the various Ws Lewis has driven, but they wouldn't have dominated the same way. That's my opinion.

I don't want to get into the GOAT debate, until Lewis finally hangs up his balaclava. I think then I can look back and admire the fullness of his achievements, and share my opinion. I'm just happy to live in the moment, and at the moment, Lewis is delivering a seemingly endless string of good results. I don't want this high to ever end.

#36 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 9,703 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:10

This race showed what a good and experienced driver Lewis is, certainly has the most complete package of the grid. And the irony of winning in a car that wasn’t the best on the grid today, is the icing on the cake. Well done, I really enjoyed him today  :up:  :up:

#37 Spyker

Spyker

• 387 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:11

Today's race showed why Lewis deserves all 7 of his championships and more.

What a race. What a drive. What a champion.

What a race! What a legend!

The best to ever do it

#38 wrexter

wrexter

• 218 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:13

Fantastic driver. Supremely talented. So happy that the 7x WDC clinching win was preceded by a look back at his amazing drive to 2nd in 2006 at the same circuit. Fans got to see the raw talent that set the world ablaze in a GP2 championship defining moment, followed by the polished veteran lighting up an overcast day in an F1 championship clinching moment. You got to see that he as all the pace and racing chops that have allowed him to compile the massive collection of accolades that he has today.

Pre-2013, many of us Lewis fans waxed fantastical about what could happen if one day, who we thought was the best driver on the grid, could get paired with the best car on the grid. At that time, we all thought it would be Red Bull, but Mercedes came through when it counted. Best driver + best car = best team. These are the rewards of greatness. It looks easy because Lewis makes it look easy. Other drivers might have wins and championships in the various Ws Lewis has driven, but they wouldn't have dominated the same way. That's my opinion.

I don't want to get into the GOAT debate, until Lewis finally hangs up his balaclava. I think then I can look back and admire the fullness of his achievements, and share my opinion. I'm just happy to live in the moment, and at the moment, Lewis is delivering a seemingly endless string of good results. I don't want this high to ever end.

That last sentence hit hard. Damn.

#39 ExEd

ExEd

• 1,470 posts

There.is.no.one.like.you !

_115504076_hamepa1.jpg

Advertisement

#40 Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder

• 401 posts

Really good race and it was nice that the WDC got decided on a performance like that. Before the race someone from Sky had the audacity to ask him if it was going to take the shine off winning the title that he wasn’t going to finish on the podium in his slow car today!!

#41 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 19,507 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:21

Congratulations to Lewis. His genuine emotions and humility showed he is class bloke.  :up:

#42 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 10,700 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:24

Lewis made me cry today when he broke down on his cool down lap.

There's immense pressure to deliver to Mercedes and the sport in general. Race-in race-out. Year-in, year-out.

What impresses me the most about him is that he is actually doing that. And by all means, it's not a walk in the park for him.

Edited by Timstr11, 15 November 2020 - 13:25.

#43 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 2,266 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:29

The most complete driver on the grid together with the best team and best car and this is the outcome. Yes, the hybrid Mercedes has given him the platform to reach these numbers but we've still seen plenty of instances that put him head and shoulders above the rest.

Not another driver on the grid that would have won the amount of races, taken the same number of poles and possibly not even the number of titles as Lewis has with Mercedes. I can't say for certain that Rosberg would have got the job done against Seb and Ferrari in that 2017-2018 period, for sure not with the same conviction that Lewis did. That's all you can ask of a driver really when they find themselves in a dominant car and team and he's just delivered again and again. The guy is utterly relentless.

It's similar to what Messi and Ronaldo have done in football. Plenty of players reach those kinds of heights over the decades but only for a short time. To maintain the highest levels for so many consecutive years is remarkable. He'll always have that Mercedes domination association but he's already left more than enough performances to leave no doubt at all what an exceptional racing driver he is and he's not finished yet. Has there been another driver in the more modern eras of F1 that have still been so consistent at practically 36? He can surely do what he's doing for another couple of years yet.

Would love him to have someone like Max, Charles or Danny Ric for a teammate in the Mercedes before he retires but I won't hold my breath. He's had two fairly easy teammates (for his standards) and the rest of the time world champions on the other side of the garage, so you can't really complain, but it would be nice to see him up against someone with more talent than Valtteri one more time.

#44 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 2,452 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:33

Just SUBLIME. Hamilton often shines in adversity . He has shown this every season throughout his career . The guy is so in tune with his driving skills its not even funny. All good having the fastest car but to consistently extract its performance should not be taken for granted. Absolutely humbled especially as i lost money today on a possible DNF  :| lol. Have to give it to Bono/engineers aswell. This partnership is part of the reason he delivers. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they talk about managing tyres, driving styles , setups etc. Hamilton is a smart cookie behind the scenes. 

Congrats Champ you've risen the bar to the highest standard.  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:

#45 ExEd

ExEd

• 1,470 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:35

Its not only the racing. 

Its what Lewis represents in a troubled time like this. 

His words on radio mean the world to some. 

Working daily with people to get the best out of them myself i have seen first hand 

how he can affect  ,specially the young, after races and days like this

What a great ambassador of sports and F1 he truly is. 

Edited by ExEd, 15 November 2020 - 13:36.

#46 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,245 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:36

Some drive that, what a way to seal the title.

Congrats

#47 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:37

An extremely dominant car but you can’t take it away from Lewis, he’s the best driver and it extracting things from that car that few could. Undoubtedly has had the greatest career of all time. He’s been at or towards the top ever since his first race.

if you had equal cars and put him against Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Lauda, etc in their primes, it would be a brave man to bet against Hamilton being the winner.

#48 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 14,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:45

Andrew Benson has a long read on Hamilton’s rise, including interesting contributions from people like Paddy Lowe:

https://www.bbc.co.u...-Hamilton-story

#49 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 987 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:50

Just thought that this would be an opportune time to share this.

1hr and 8mins or so of Lewis Hamilton's first championship in 2008 .

It's not a documentary or a season review, just a collection of F1 set to music that I made back then.

Track list is;

Def Leppard - Action

ACDC - Thunderstruck

Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Rush - Time Stand Still

The Cardigans - My Favourite Game

Under Pressure - Queen

Bouncing Off Clouds - Tori Amos

Extraordinary - Liz Phair

Let Me Entertain You - Robbie Williams

Whitesnake - Still Of The Night

The Clash - I Fought The Law

Turn It On Again - Genesis

Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon

Bon Jovi - Keep The Faith

Terminator 2 Intro theme

Magnum - The Prize

Rush - Losing It

Commentary by Martin Brundle (when he was ace) and James Allen (you have to love the guy given what we have these days)

Apologies for the resolution and the 4x3 format. It was 2008.....

Enjoy

https://we.tl/t-BBFKz4LsaN

#50 balage06

balage06

• 2,016 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 13:52

What a drive, what a legend! On to the 8th one! :up: