Photo
- - - - -

Moto '21 - All things MotoGP, WSBK, EWC, Moto2, Moto3, Supersport, AMA, BSB, Speedway, Supercross, MXGP, Sidecar

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#1 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 12,426 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:44

With the official Moto2 and Moto3 entry list coming out today for next season, I took the liberty to create the main thread for all things 2 wheels.

Check 'em out here ( I particularly like the Moto2 list )

https://www.motorspo...mpaign=widget-6

Thread title too long ? That's because there's a lot to be hyped about. Feel free to nerd about about everything Moto here. Everything.

I want to give more attention to things like Endurance, Speedway, MXGP  next year. MotoGP was legendary, Supercross was great while Moto2 and WSBK delivered as well.

I'll still savor what we had this season while opening the discussion here for what's next. Cheers.

Advertisement

#2 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,499 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:02

Forgot Enduro GP....... :lol:

#3 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 8,027 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:29

It's not 2021 Moto news related but I just watched a very entertaining docu-movie on Wayne Gardner - simply called 'Wayne' 

No idea if this is going to work outside of Australia, but here's a link to it: https://iview.abc.net.au/show/wayne

Literally screened on telly here tonight, which was really nice timing with his son Remy winning his first GP on the weekend  :up:

Edited by krapmeister, 24 November 2020 - 11:30.

#4 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 5,577 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:06

Any news on a MotoGP calendar yet? Or are they not sticking their head in the sand like F1’s bosses are doing with releasing a calendar like there’s no corona anymore next year.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 40,553 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:08

Any news on a MotoGP calendar yet? Or are they not sticking their head in the sand like F1’s bosses are doing with releasing a calendar like there’s no corona anymore next year.

Here's the calendar: https://www.motogp.c...revealed/353789

20 races (including a new round in Finland and one TBD in summer), 3 reserves. No idea what Coronavirus does to this, although I don't expect the same level of disruption (i.e. total) we saw in March-June 2020.

#6 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,603 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:55

I know every year its the same thing, but I'd really like MotoGP to have it's own thread, and the rest can share one.  It's insane that Hamilton farting gets it's own thread, but everything motorcycle has to share one thread.  It just makes a crowded thread that is hard to follow and is full of a bunch of stuff I can't be bothered to care about. 

Edited by Frank Tuesday, 24 November 2020 - 21:22.

#7 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 12,426 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 16:03

I tried making and floated the idea of a separate thread for each MotoGP race 5 or so years back at the height of Indycar/Nascar separate threads but everyone stated that an overall thread would be best so I conceited.

For now I think it's cool to have it all here. I think in this way we can easily cross-pollinate the enthusiasm from similar series back and forth.

#8 DS27

DS27

• 4,021 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 20:31

You remembered Speedway!   :wave:

#9 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 12,426 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:10

Of course ^^ I can't wait to watch the series again.

#10 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 909 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:08

With the official Moto2 and Moto3 entry list coming out today for next season, I took the liberty to create the main thread for all things 2 wheels.

Check 'em out here ( I particularly like the Moto2 list )

I'm excited with what Cameron Beaubier can do with Moto2 bikes. Championship contender straight away?

#11 aliefbielefeld

aliefbielefeld

• 37 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:20

Can't wait for MotoGP and their classes also WSBK with their classes as well, this year's motorcycle racing has been amazing and it got me hooked to watch all the races from the Moto3/SSP300 to MotoGP/WSBK. Such a fresh breath of entertainment unlike a certain "pinnacle" of motorsport.

#12 HP

HP

• 18,818 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 14:27

Marquez's recovery slower process than Honda expected - MotoGP - Autosport

By Dec 1st, they decide if MM needs a 3rd operation to have bone graft. If he needs it, it can take up to 6 months to recover.

If that happens next season we'll be in for another special season, especially once MM returns..

#13 Westcoustskt

Westcoustskt

• 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 15:35

By Dec 1st, they decide if MM needs a 3rd operation to have bone graft. If he needs it, it can take up to 6 months to recover.

If that happens next season we'll be in for another special season, especially once MM returns..

Stick a fork in him.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 40,553 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 15:39

I feel like the journos know more they're letting on about what persuaded Marquez to get back on the bike four days after he broke his arm in Jerez. Sounds like Marc was very poorly advised. 

#15 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 23,487 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 16:49

I feel like the journos know more they're letting on about what persuaded Marquez to get back on the bike four days after he broke his arm in Jerez. Sounds like Marc was very poorly advised. 

And the MotoGP doctors still signed him off regardless. Looks like they may have imperilled his career, bravo to them.

#16 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,624 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 16:55

Stick a fork in him.

I fear this is the case, I'm disappointed if we never get to see him race again, I certainly think we've seen the best of him already. I hope I'm wrong ! 

MotoGP riders are different brave to most other sports.  

#17 sniper80

sniper80

• 932 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 22:01

I think there is a big chance that Marc's MotoGP career is over. His quick return was amazingly stupid and ill adviced.

#18 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,264 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:06

:/ given the forces involved and arm pump being a thing with full fit guys, the chance of pulling off a "kubica but not slow for reasons definately not related to the person" does reduce the chances of his comeback :(

#19 Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder

• 437 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:19

I’d love to see MM have a go at F1 if he can’t ride MotoGP anymore, and his Redbull link would be the perfect platform for him.

Advertisement

#20 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,965 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:44

Probably a bit of an oddball post, but I do quite like BSB. This time of year there is typically a slow reveal of the teams released by BSB to maximize publicity and interest. Announcements have been slowly filtering in.

Last year was a very odd season. The new Pirelli tyre spec threw the Ducati teams off and they initially had difficulty keeping up with the Honda Irwin duo. Eventually though Yamaha and PBR managed to claw back and vault ahead of the surprising new CBR1000rr-r. There is a possibility we might see more Hondas on the grid for 2021 in either Superbike or Superstock 1000.

This is my best guess where we are at right now:

Paul Bird Visiontrack Ducati
Champions from last year, and I haven’t seen any press releases yet confirming their lineup for next year yet.
- #25 Josh Brookes: Unconfirmed. I would assume the man of many haircuts is back next year. 
- #21 Christian Iddon: Unconfirmed. He had some difficulty adjusting during preseason testing, but ended up being fairly solid over the season. He might be back with PBR.

Honda Racing 
Surprise of the season. They were SERIOUSLY competitive at Donington and up at the pointy end for most of the season (Brands was a disaster. Glenn made a decision to change the throttle mapping to be less harsh and his race 2 put him out of the title chase). It’s all change next year as the naughty Irwin has departed from the team. I haven’t seen any press releases yet in regards to the rider lineup for next year.
- #2 Glenn Irwin: Unconfirmed. Was seen testing for Honda in Portugal, so while not confirmed it appears likely.
- ???: Uncertain who the second rider would be. Ryo Mizuno tested at Portimao, which some think may indicate he will be racing in BSB next year.

OMG Racing BMW
 - #28 Brad Ray: Switching from Synetiq to the OMG squad
- #77 Kyle Ride, Confirmed. Leaving the Buildbase Suzuki squad. He was brilliant at Silverstone.

McAms Yamaha
A solid season for both of their riders, who are confirmed for 2021.
-#22 Jason O’Halloran. Confirmed
-#95 Tarran McKenzie. Confirmed.

FS-3 Kawasaki
- Rory Skinner, Confirmed. British Supersport championship is moving up to the premier championship on the top Kawasaki team.
- #14 Lee Jackson, Confirmed. He was sneaky good in 2020.

Synetiq BMW Motorad
Taylor McKenzie, who was injured prior to the start of 2020 is out of a ride and Brad Ray is gone. An all new lineup this season.
- #18 Andrew Irwin, confirmed. Trouble…
- #83 Danny Buchan, confirmed. Switching from FS-3 Kawasaki to BMW.

Moto Rapido (Oxford Products) Ducati
- #46 Tommy Bridewell, confirmed. He had a rough 2020, and had trouble adapting to the new Pirelli spec. The team switched from Ohlins to K-tech and I’d be curious to see if they stick to it.

Buildbase Suzuki
- I am not sure what is going on here… saw they were selling their trailer. Are they going to be around next year?

FHO Racing BMW
Alan and Rebecca Smith have sadly pulled out of the sport, but Faye Ho (Macau/UK businesswoman with interest in motorsport) has stepped in to run the team.
- #60 Peter Hickman. Confirmed.
- Xavi Fores. Confirmed.

RAF Regular and Reserves Kawasaki
Not sure what is going on here. Maybe Vickers and Jack Kennedy will be back?

PR Racing (BMW)
No idea, but last years rider Joe Francis is better than his results indicate. I was seriously impressed with him in the junior categories (one of the best races I’ve seen was a Motostar race a Cadwell Park he was in)

Edit: Dec 16th
- Joe Francis confirmed 
- Brad Jones also confirmed as the team has now expanded to two riders. 

GR Motorsport
Storm Stacey just confirmed Dec 10th. He turns 18 next year.

DB Race Team Kawasaki
Luke Mossey

Santander Salt TAG Racing
Dan Linfoot cofirmed. Team switching to Honda for 2021.

Edited by ehagar, 21 December 2020 - 00:01.

#21 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,965 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 16:27

Chaz Davies to Go Eleven Ducati for 2021. Also WSBK schedule released include Indonesia (Provisional) and the final race being TBC.

#22 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 2,911 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 16:32

Well, the British superbike dates will not change as for the 2nd year running there is no iom tt which means for the 2nd year running itv4 has to show something different

#23 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,965 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 17:04

Maybe there will be the Classic, maybe not...

#24 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,499 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 20:14

That's an early call to cancel the TT. Time will tell if it was correct. 

#25 F1matt

F1matt

• 1,585 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 20:20

Seems strange to cancel it now, especially when  the vaccinations should be available shortly. I am guessing that the IOM have weighed the revenue the races bring in combined to how many cases could come to the island? Let’s hope they have something big planned for 2022. 

#26 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 10,732 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 20:24

That's an early call to cancel the TT. Time will tell if it was correct.

The problem is with marshalling. A minimum of 600 is needed, most of those are visiting. Too much of a risk in discovering a lack of marshals at the last minute.

#27 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 8,027 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:41

Monster Energy to sponsor Suzuki

Wonder what this means for the Monster/Yamaha deal?

#28 Showty

Showty

• 1,742 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 21:13

Marc Marquez has just had surgery again, third one.

He won't be ready until at least May 21.

https://www.antena3....00018e7467.html

#29 DS27

DS27

• 4,021 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 21:27

Monster Energy to sponsor Suzuki

Wonder what this means for the Monster/Yamaha deal?

Means it's not happening, surely?

Good that Suzuki have the sponsorship, but a shame to lose the beautiful blue bikes.

Edited by DS27, 03 December 2020 - 21:32.

#30 DS27

DS27

• 4,021 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 21:31

That would be both extremely sad, and exciting at the same time. However, other reports still suggesting he should make the first race, so who knows.

https://www.gpone.co...rgery-soon.html

#31 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 7,843 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 22:06

Autosport/Motorsport reporting the same story:

https://www.autospor...xmonth-recovery

Eek. :eek:  Leads one to think this injury has been a lot more serious than they originally let on, no?

Edited by JHSingo, 03 December 2020 - 22:06.

#32 HP

HP

• 18,818 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 22:14

That would be both extremely sad, and exciting at the same time. However, other reports still suggesting he should make the first race, so who knows.

https://www.gpone.co...rgery-soon.html

Who knows? Indeed. According to the same site, Honda claimed in October that everything went according to plan, and he'll race at the last race of this year. Obviously that was too optimistic at best. (Mis)information from whatever side ain't helping the cause. 

It would be great if MM comes back as fit and able as before, so that he has a proper fight the younger MotoGP generation. 

#33 HP

HP

• 18,818 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 23:06

Eek. :eek:  Leads one to think this injury has been a lot more serious than they originally let on, no?

Recovery is not always easy to predict. But a stronger metal plate would have helped too. Or instead using metal, use something made of the materials used to build an F1 survival cell. We saw how good it is last weekend in Bahrain.

Or had MM missed one weekend, the healing processes might have already been advanced enough for him to complete an entire season. We can't know.

However I do hope MotoGP doctors set better standards, as to when a rider is to be declared fit to participate. Especially when someone arrives with a broken arm.  

#34 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 7,843 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 23:33

However I do hope MotoGP doctors set better standards, as to when a rider is to be declared fit to participate. Especially when someone arrives with a broken arm.  

Completely agree. I thought it was ludicrous at the time, and I felt slightly uncomfortable how the sport was marketing it as this "incredible comeback", when he clearly wasn't fit to compete at all. If he was fit, you have to wonder what classes as unfit. An arm or leg bent at an angle previously thought as impossible for the human body? :lol:

#35 dissident

dissident

• 651 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 23:38

I seriously hope this isn't the end of his career. 

#36 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,624 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 23:54

He's not coming back and even if he does carrying these injuries will be incredibly tough to complete a season.

It's such an abrasive, body breaking sport even the very best exit physically damaged for remainder of their lives. 

I always enjoy them racing even the total domination periods because it can all end very quickly. 

Marc Marquez was the best I ever had the opportunity to watch, I hope he gets fit and lives a good healthy long life. 

/rant

#37 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 8,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:18

Means it's not happening, surely?

Good that Suzuki have the sponsorship, but a shame to lose the beautiful blue bikes.

Not certain that Yamaha will lose it or at least completely, Red Bull sponsor both Honda and KTM for example.

#38 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,373 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:18

So it seems that Marquez will miss at least the start of the next season. Interesting who will replace him, there are 3 options really, Bradl, Alex or Dovi if he's interested.

#39 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 7,383 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:50

Whoever allowed his first comeback should be thrown out of the profession.

Advertisement

#40 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 12,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:52

Honestly it's a miracle this only happened now. Marc was crashing left, right and center each and every race week. He had massive shunts on an alarming frequency and he always dodged misfortune until now.

I understand and value him pushing the limits but seeing him ride with such feral desperation was to me so antithetical to his inexhaustible talent and I feared for it being a hazard to others.

I wish him health and success. I also wish him wisdom. Him and the team around him need it. Always did.

#41 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 10,444 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:18

We’ll probably never know, but still curious what the role of his early come back was in all this.

#42 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:05

Must be Dovi, right?

#43 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 10,603 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:06

Whoever allowed his first comeback should be thrown out of the profession.

At the end of the day, Marquez doesn't have to answer to anyone whether he wants to ride or not. It's his body and his decision. If he wants to show up at the clinic and say there is no pain (when there is) so that he can ride, then that is his right.

No Doctor sent Marquez out on that bike with 100% confidence.  You didn't have to be a doctor to know that if he fell again, it would be a major setback.

Edited by ARTGP, 04 December 2020 - 08:07.

#44 HP

HP

• 18,818 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:32

At the end of the day, Marquez doesn't have to answer to anyone whether he wants to ride or not. It's his body and his decision. If he wants to show up at the clinic and say there is no pain (when there is) so that he can ride, then that is his right.

No Doctor sent Marquez out on that bike with 100% confidence.  You didn't have to be a doctor to know that if he fell again, it would be a major setback.

I'm sure insurance agencies of teams and tracks are thrilled to hear that. And the series itself. Not. I do get it that most riders can't be bothered as I can't be bothered about such things for myself neither.

But just imagine for a second on his comeback after the crash, he'd get killed on the track. Does MotoGP need a 1994 San Marino weekend until they get it? What about a rule that teams (Honda) and riders (Marquez) renting first a track to find out if the rider is fit enough? It doesn't need even to be the latest factory bike. It can be a tuned up superbike, or a model from previous seasons. That much responsibility can be expected from team and riders IMO.

#45 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 4,024 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:52

The problem in that case is that it didn't take a crash to cause such a big damage.

#46 DS27

DS27

• 4,021 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:08

So it seems that Marquez will miss at least the start of the next season. Interesting who will replace him, there are 3 options really, Bradl, Alex or Dovi if he's interested.

Dovi's decision to keep himself available looks like it may pay off. I suspect he will be keeping himself very fit over the winter.

#47 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 378 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:21

Costa said that he would have choosen a different procedure if he was consulted. 

https://www.gpone.co...-not-asked.html

http://www.gpone.com...campaign=social

Edited by piszkosfred, 04 December 2020 - 10:29.

#48 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 23,487 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:08

The problem in that case is that it didn't take a crash to cause such a big damage.

Right. It's a romantic argument, but seriously, no. This should have been taken out of Marquez' hands. His advisors failed to step up, and then the MotoGP doctors failed to step up. Now we see the result.

#49 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 10,732 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:16

Autosport/Motorsport reporting the same story:

https://www.autospor...xmonth-recovery

Needing a bone graft too. Obviously, the re-union of the bone hasn't happened naturally.

#50 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 359 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:25

Ugh, I'm not particularly a Marc fan, but this is very bad news for the sport if he has to pack it in.

Like it or not Marc is the benchmark and without him nobody can truly know how the rest of the field measure up.