* * * - - 6 votes

Arise Sir Lewis - F1 knighthoods

• Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:20

Andy Murray today adding to the voices asking for Hamilton to take the knee... this time in front of Her Majesty (hope she says ‘still arise’ as she does it #banter)

Obviously this would/will be well deserved, but who else in F1 history do you think has been wrongly overlooked? There’s quite a few OBEs and CBEs but seldom are f1 personalities deemed fit to take a Knighthood.... presumably stemming from the ‘it’s not a real sport’ arguments.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,734 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:27

It would be funny if they gave them to Max and Bernie. Actually Wikipedia claims that Ecclestone turned one down in the early 2000s.

#3 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,539 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:28

Blimey, time flies in F1. I was thinking of a very different Max for a while, then!

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,937 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:32

Obviously this would/will be well deserved, but who else in F1 history do you think has been wrongly overlooked? There’s quite a few OBEs and CBEs but seldom are f1 personalities deemed fit to take a Knighthood.... presumably stemming from the ‘it’s not a real sport’ arguments.

John Surtees, obviously.  Mike Hailwood's motorcycle achievements merited a K as well.  There's still time to get Ron Dennis his - had Chapman lived he might have got one and then had it stripped...

I think John Cooper merited one too; taking a Surbiton garage to back-to-back world titles. 

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:38

Just had to change the title. Knights are always addressed as Sir [First Name].

#6 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,295 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:38

They don't usually give them to tax dodgers nowadays though. If LH wasn't domiciled in Monaco he'd probably have one already.

John Surtees is definitely the most egregiously overlooked. He is the only man in history to achieve what he achieved, and there's a very strong chance he will be the only person ever to do so. If that isn't worthy of a gong then nothing is.

#7 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:47

The more people ask for it to happen, the more an eventual Knighthood for Lewis will devalue. Just wait and let it happen. Or not.

#8 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,620 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:53

I don't really know what is with the rush is to get Lewis knighted. Yes he probably deserves one based on his achievements, but he has plenty of time to take the knee before the Queen once he has finished racing.

Has any F1 driver ever been knighted while still actively racing in F1?

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:55

No, no active driver has ever been knighted. However, other sportsmen have been knighted while still competing, which so why the question has been posed.

#10 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:56

I don't really know what is with the rush is to get Lewis knighted. Yes he probably deserves one based on his achievements, but he has plenty of time to take the knee before the Queen once he has finished racing.

Maybe people are hoping he'll have to start riding a horse instead of driving the Merc  :p

#11 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,620 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:03

No, no active driver has ever been knighted. However, other sportsmen have been knighted while still competing, which so why the question has been posed.

Oh that's a real pet peeve of mine, sports people being knighted while still competing  :p

#12 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:07

Andy Murray today adding to the voices asking for Hamilton to take the knee... this time in front of Her Majesty (hope she says ‘still arise’ as she does it #banter)

Ron Dennis!!! The guy is a legend and deserves it more than anyone else in motorsport IMO. Newey is also right up there.

#13 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:10

Oh that's a real pet peeve of mine, sports people being knighted while still competing :p

The difference with Lewis is he’s already a recordbreaker in his sport, so there’s really nothing else left for him to achieve. Same for Chris Hoy really. Murray and Wiggins were knighted prematurely IMO. You could also say the same for Farah, impressive though his achievements are.

#14 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:13

They don't usually give them to tax dodgers nowadays though. If LH wasn't domiciled in Monaco he'd probably have one already.

John Surtees is definitely the most egregiously overlooked. He is the only man in history to achieve what he achieved, and there's a very strong chance he will be the only person ever to do so. If that isn't worthy of a gong then nothing is.

Didn't I read that Lewis is in the top 500 UK tax payers?

I don't think an active driver has ever been knighted. Long ago in the ancient mists of time, I'm talking about 25 years ago....sportspeople were usually not honoured at all until near the end of their career or indeed after they'd retired. Often years after they'd retired and had time to forge a second career. Now it seems you win a gong in your chosen sport and you get one from the Queen. I suspect they're waiting until he takes his 8th title or retires. I agree regarding Surtees, it is highly unlikely anyone will ever win motorcycle and F1 world titles....and while he got a CBE I think, it was very much towards the end of his life. 

JYS wasn't knighted until almost 30 years after he retired from racing. Moss similarly nearly 40 years after. What about Seagrave, he was still doing world record attempts after his knighthood. I think Malcolm Campbell did too.....but F1 racers, none were knighted while active. 

I still think it's something for well after Lewis finishes with racing. And it's highly likely he'll find something very interesting to do after he hangs up his helmet and gloves. Maybe he'll end up with a knighthood for work in equality....or for being the world's top DJ. Honestly I suspect he'll have a full second career.

#15 H0R

H0R

• 4,102 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:14

Ron Dennis

#16 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,620 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:14

The difference with Lewis is he’s already a recordbreaker in his sport, so there’s really nothing else left for him to achieve. 

I am sure Lewis would be happy to hear that  :lol:

Anyway, he needs to get in the queue - Shane Warne hasn't even been knighted yet lol

Edited by krapmeister, 24 November 2020 - 12:22.

#17 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:20

I'd like to hope Lewis would take a stand against the injustice of an unelected elite, who obtained their wealth through a landgrab and the ongoing taxation of the working population, and refuse any such offering....but he is already an MBE, so I presume he would show his subservience and take the knee for a cause that isn't helping anyone but himself.

Or at least if he does accept another invite to the palace, he could do a John Lennon and smoke a huge joint in the toilets, then hand the gong back a few years later when he moves into his Che Guevara phase.

#18 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:20

Oh that's a real pet peeve of mine, sports people being knighted while still competing  :p

Yes it must be very distracting to have to stop to be knighted in the middle of a marathon or a cycle race.

#19 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:33

Yes it must be very distracting to have to stop to be knighted in the middle of a marathon or a cycle race.

It would make for a very long pitstop.

Probably what the fans of other drivers/teams want. More knighthoods for Lewis in the pits. Mandatory cups of tea with Prince Charles when changing tyre compound....and cuddles with a corgi if he's brought in for a penalty. 

Advertisement

#20 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 878 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:38

I would like to see it as his achievements are special within the context of the sport itself and I it is also recognition for the sport as well as the individiual.

The sporting knighthoods I have issues with are people like Bradley Wiggans and Andy Murray, who happened to win a major competition in a sport where Britain has not been historically successful. However, neither of their achievements are that uncommon within the context of the respective sport and it is possible (as has already happened in cycling with Chris Froome) that someone else can come along later and achieve far more.

#21 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:54

Ron’s latest ventures are likely to help in any quest for a knighthood. I’d love to see that too

It hamilton was knighted, it would be interesting to see if the on screen graphics were changed. Obviously Crofty would be calling him Sir Lewis from the off and it opens the door to many puns

#22 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:55

If it takes too long, it might be the King ....

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 13:00

Ron’s latest ventures are likely to help in any quest for a knighthood. I’d love to see that too

It hamilton was knighted, it would be interesting to see if the on screen graphics were changed. Obviously Crofty would be calling him Sir Lewis from the off and it opens the door to many puns

I don’t think anyone’s titles have ever been used in TV graphics.

#24 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 13:09

It’s always been a mystery as to why Lewis Hamilton has never received an upgrade over his MBE awarded for 2008. Every excuse offered has looked rather thin when you look at the ranks of the dubious and disreputable given gongs in the meanwhile. With each championship that passed without any recognition, a knighthood is the only thing left to make up for it. Providing Lewis wants one!

#25 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 13:15

Well I hope he retires if he gets it. My interest in F1 has fallen in the last few years but listening to Crofty refer to him as Sir Lewis when calling the action will actually make me turn off altogether

#26 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 13:18

Nothing against Lewis, and perhaps this is just because I'm not British, but the amount of news and discussion around this topic is ridiculous. By now every day you can read someone else's opinion on it.

Is that how this knighthood system works? Does it require a certain amount of sportspeople and celebrities vouching for you before the queen takes notice?

Why can't it just wait until it's decided that he gets it, and then: great, well done Lewis, nicely deserved.

Until then, what is the bloody point of discussing the possibility of Hamilton being invited to this royal award show.

I'll get my coat.

#27 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 13:31

The difference with Lewis is he’s already a recordbreaker in his sport, so there’s really nothing else left for him to achieve. Same for Chris Hoy really. Murray and Wiggins were knighted prematurely IMO. You could also say the same for Farah, impressive though his achievements are.

The thing with Farah and Wiggins is that they were already CBE’s from previous Olympics. So by the time they got their second set of gold medals and the Tour de France respectively, the only thing left to recognise them with was a knighthood.

It would make for a very long pitstop.

Probably what the fans of other drivers/teams want. More knighthoods for Lewis in the pits. Mandatory cups of tea with Prince Charles when changing tyre compound....and cuddles with a corgi if he's brought in for a penalty.

You only need to dab the shoulders once each. Surely with the strategic positioning of Her Maj and training her to hold the sword at exactly the spot Lewis should be upon stopping, she could get it done in a two and a half second pit stop. Just like the wheel gunners follow the car in and have the guns in the wheels before the car fully stops, the Queen could stand next to the front wheel team with her sword out and stick it in the cockpit as the car comes in.

Plus, having a sword pointing out at throat level is an excellent motivation for the driver to brake exactly at his stopping marks. ;)

#28 Beri

Beri

• 11,608 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 13:43

Ron Dennis?

#29 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,937 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 13:59

I don’t think anyone’s titles have ever been used in TV graphics.

ace_mca_beastie_boys_sabotage1-vi.png

#30 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 14:01

To be honest, I think Lewis would be happier if the royal family actually showed up to watch him win at silverstone.

#31 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 14:05

Nothing against Lewis, and perhaps this is just because I'm not British, but the amount of news and discussion around this topic is ridiculous. By now every day you can read someone else's opinion on it.

Is that how this knighthood system works? Does it require a certain amount of sportspeople and celebrities vouching for you before the queen takes notice?

Why can't it just wait until it's decided that he gets it, and then: great, well done Lewis, nicely deserved.

Until then, what is the bloody point of discussing the possibility of Hamilton being invited to this royal award show.

I'll get my coat.

If you're a pleb it tends to be that someone has made a motion for you to be suggested for an MBE etc.

If you're famous or rich, it seems like someone high up puts a list together. I believe the feelers are put out way in advance, as many many people decline any form of title way before that years announcements are made.

Politics, of course, are involved in the lists, which explains away why many people you'd think would have been awarded for something never ever come up.

#32 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 14:05

To be honest, I think Lewis would be happier if the royal family actually showed up to watch him win at silverstone.

Don't say that, it reminds me of when I accidentally shattered Sophie B's world by telling her that the current Queen wasn't at Silverstone in 1950.

#33 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 14:20

but who else in F1 history do you think has been wrongly overlooked?

Any F1 great name who is not from the UK (or the commonwealth?) :smoking:

#34 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 14:36

I'll get my coat.

It only arises as a topic due to the recent policy of awarding them to current Olympians.  But that was the government of the day trying to ride the wave of sporting success following a 'home' Olympics.

I still hope he'd reject it if offered.  I was disappointed that Andy Murray did not reject his.

#35 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 14:41

Did we ever have a 'Sir' on a podium in a F1 race?

#36 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 14:55

No, but Sir Henry Birkin did finish second in the 1930 French GP. He was a baronet, not a knight, though.  ;)

#37 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:31

John Surtees, obviously.  Mike Hailwood's motorcycle achievements merited a K as well.  There's still time to get Ron Dennis his - had Chapman lived he might have got one and then had it stripped...

I think John Cooper merited one too; taking a Surbiton garage to back-to-back world titles. 

Surtees yes, 110%

On the other hand, the only knighthood Ron deserves is at a medieval larp festival.

#38 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:31

That's Captain Sir Henry Brikin to you.

#39 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:32

I prefer Birkin. :wave:

Advertisement

#40 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,637 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:35

Ron Dennis!!! The guy is a legend and deserves it more than anyone else in motorsport IMO. Newey is also right up there.

Agree on all 3 of them, to be honest. 

#41 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 15:45

Don't say that, it reminds me of when I accidentally shattered Sophie B's world by telling her that the current Queen wasn't at Silverstone in 1950.

Ya, there's this thing Sky does where Brundle and Ham look at old Silverstone races and Ham seems kinda shocked and having a bit of a "WTF?" moment when Brundle tells him the royals showed up at Silverstone at all.

#42 Beri

Beri

• 11,608 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 16:14

Did we ever have a 'Sir' on a podium in a F1 race?

Sir Jacky Stewart when he held the post race interviews. I don't know if Sir Frank Williams ever got the winners cup after he was knighted.
But as a podium finisher? I don't think so.

#43 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 17:00

Honours are proposed by a governmental committee who advise the Prime Minister, who in turn advises the monarch on who might get what award. Anyone can nominate a person for an award to that committee who will then take that into consideration.  There needs to be some credible merit for a person - like services to preserving the greater Crested Newt or something - to be considered.  Olympic gold medallists seem to have become a slam dunk in recent years.  There are always awards for senior politicians and public servants (the latter usually in lieu of decent pay).  I imagine that HM the Queen may stick her own two-pennyworth in as well; after all, they are HER awards.

The media and public figures agitating in favour of someone may or may not be helpful.  It certainly wasn't for David Beckham.

#44 Dunc

Dunc

• 921 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 17:35

I don't think Lewis will be knighted until after his career is over, for purely political reasons. The Tories will not want to give a knighthood to him, sadly, because of his support of BLM - a cause I don't think they really know how to deal with - and his tax status. 

As for overlooked knighthoods - for the living I would say Ron Dennis, Ross Brawn, Adrian Newey, Nigel Mansell and Christian Horner are all deserving. Of the dead - Colin Chapman, Charles Cooper, John Surtees, Bruce McLaren, Graham Hill and Sid Watkins.

Edited by Dunc, 24 November 2020 - 17:36.

#45 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 17:37

Honours are proposed by a governmental committee who advise the Prime Minister, who in turn advises the monarch on who might get what award. Anyone can nominate a person for an award to that committee who will then take that into consideration.  There needs to be some credible merit for a person - like services to preserving the greater Crested Newt or something - to be considered.  Olympic gold medallists seem to have become a slam dunk in recent years.  There are always awards for senior politicians and public servants (the latter usually in lieu of decent pay).  I imagine that HM the Queen may stick her own two-pennyworth in as well; after all, they are HER awards.

The media and public figures agitating in favour of someone may or may not be helpful.  It certainly wasn't for David Beckham.

I can see why a group charged with deciding these things would be very uneasy about raised public expectations of an award for a popular sports star. If he does get it, the positivity of the announcement is blunted. If he doesn't, it becomes the negative story. As far as I understand it, these are not awarded for popularity. In former times they were also not primarily awarded for sporting achievements, but services to ... motorsports or charity etc. No doubt Lewis has ticked those boxes too, as had Beckham. 

On another note, this year may see a lot of gongs for people who helped the Covid effort. I can see it being a competitive year.

#46 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 17:47

Lewis wants it bad and I hope he gets it. He's been clever with his approach, with the likes of Lord Hain lobbying for him and putting it out there that Lewis is among the top 5000 tax payers in the UK. He has done everything required of him to get this gong, so he deserves it IMO.

As with the CEO of Ineos (I can't recall his name) I suspect once Lewis has the title, he'll probably move to the US and never come back. :wave:

#47 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,937 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 17:58

I imagine that HM the Queen may stick her own two-pennyworth in as well; after all, they are HER awards.

The Order of Merit and Companion of Honour are the monarch's personal gift.  Interesting in light of the fiction that is on Netflix at the moment that Her Majesty bestowed the OM - the highest honour possible, there can never be more than 24 living recipients - to Margaret Thatcher within a fortnight of Heseltine's backstabbing.

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 18:49

As with the CEO of Ineos (I can't recall his name) I suspect once Lewis has the title, he'll probably move to the US and never come back. :wave:

Sir Jim Ratcliffe (INEOS).  And then there was the late Sir Sean Connery, and Sir Richard Branson, neither domiciled in the UK.  And plenty of others, I am sure.  But Lewis has already moved out of the UK, so Monaco or LA, what's the difference?

#49 ATM

ATM

• 1,066 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 20:14

Better yet, what’s the difference of being a knight or not?

Does it actually matter? I don’t want to express my uncut feelings about state/monarchy decorations, as it might be considered somewhat rude, but I really don’t see if it makes a positive difference or not.

#50 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 20:36

Better yet, what’s the difference of being a knight or not?

Does it actually matter? I don’t want to express my uncut feelings about state/monarchy decorations, as it might be considered somewhat rude, but I really don’t see if it makes a positive difference or not.

When you have Sir Jimmy Saville and Sir Phillip Green... I’m perhaps inclined to agree